Monotype Monotype Fairy Team ^_^

Hello! Before I start I'd like to say I'm very new to competitive-style Pokemon battling and I am still learning some of the terminology. As such my team probably doesn't look very well-made,, I wanted to make a monotype fairy team to use since it is my favorite typing, but it's difficult to do much against poison and steel types since the only Pokemon immune to poison I can legally use on Pokemon Showdown is klefki (mega mawile is banned for some reason), which is good in its own way but now very powerful offensively, and, well, I can't do much against steel without rearranging my entire team. I would really appreciate if you gave me some suggestion on what I can do to either improve the team I already have or suggest a substitute if you think I'm using the wrong Pokemon.

Sylphan (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Sylveon is my favorite Pokemon, and so naturally I wanted to use her on the team. She makes a really good healer for when I'm in a tough spot. Hyper Voice is her primary STAB move which I also like because it bypasses substitute, and then the rest are pretty much just healing moves.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Psychic

I've never used Diancie once before making this team, and after using her I have to say I think it's a great Pokemon. Diamond Storm is amazing thanks to the defense boost, and it's very useful against bug types. I also like her speed. Her rock typing neutralizes poison, but gives her a quad weakness to steel, which is the only flaw I can find with her. Overall, has gotten me out of some tough spots.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost

I will say I don't use Tapu Koko that much because a) It's very frail b) Lots of physical attackers run Earthquake c) Electric-type attacks haven't come in handy for me as much as I thought they would have. Nevertheless it's the fastest fairy-type Pokemon available and with Life Orb it does do a lot of damage in some situations. I've probably just using it wrong since the Tapus overall are very popular due to how powerful they are, but again I'm quite new to this so that's most likely.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Horn Leech is probably the only move I use regularly on Tapu Bulu. It's 4x weak to Poison, which isn't good, and to be honest it's hard to get in a swords dance before my opponent switches into something with a poison or fire move. Provided, it does seem to be really powerful, but only in some niche situations

Keyboi (Klefki) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

I wanted a support/setup Pokemon for my team, and Klefki fits the role perfectly. I almost always lead with him with the exception of seeing a lot of flying-types, in which case I switch into either Diancie or Tapu Koko. Before I used him I actually didn't like or care for Klefki, but now that I've used him I really like him! Prankster is a useful ability, and I can switch into him whenever a poison-type comes up. Of course, offensively, there is something to be spoken for, but that wasn't my intent when picking Klefki for my team.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 184 HP / 148 Def / 120 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Defog
- Haze
- Protect

Finally I added Tapu Fini. I originally had Azumarill in this spot as a water-type, since I'd heard it was really good with belly drum. To be honest, though, my whole team was already kind of frail before I added Azumarill, and the fact that you have to get rid of a bunch of HP before becoming useful didn't appeal to me. Next, I added Primarina, which is more of a tank, but it lacked some moves I really wanted. (I didn't have any way to get rid of entry hazards, for one). I eventually replaced Primarina with Tapu Fini, who is doing an excellent job as a tank so far and is my favorite Tapu on the team. She's what I switch into for steel-types since she only takes neutral damage, and she's been very helpful in the short time I've been using her,

Overall, my team could be worse, but I think I'm just lacking a lot of coverage and speed in general. Again, if you have any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Hey nightpetals this is a solid team for a player who is new to the Monotype and the competitive scene in general. However, I do have some changes to suggest .

First off, I'd replace Tapu Fini with Azumarill, as it provides the team with a solid win condition as a late game sweeper. As a Fairy / Water type Azumarill just outclasses Tapu Fini as a member on Mono Fairy. It can utilize Normalium Z Belly Drum letting it take a hit and still get off the Belly Drum become a late game sweeper and provide offensive presence which Tapu Fini does not. You mentioned Mono Poison being tough, Azumarill with a Jolly Nature and Return can ease the Poison matchup as it can break Mega Venusaur after rocks at +6. You also stated that your team lacks speed but Azumarill can use a priority Aqua Jet to beat mons that are faster than it. Knock off at +6 can get OHKO's on Celesteela , and Ferrothorn and Skarmory after Rocks damage, which helps vs Steel.

Some minor changes I would suggest are,

For your Tapu Koko, I would advise running the Magnet over Life Orb as its held item so you do not lose unnecessary HP on it when dishing out your STAB Thunderbolt while still boosting its power.

Klefki should be running dual screens Reflect and Light Screen in order to support it's teammates and half the damage from all your opponents attacks. Foul Play is a must to punish Swords Dance Mega Scizor because your team lacks Babiri Berry Fire Blast Clefable as a Scizor check. Now a choice for the last spot would be between, Spikes which you can hazard stack your opponent so that your opponents are more easily worn down to be in range of Azumarill, and Thunder Wave is nice utility to half the speed of your opponents to aid Azumarill in winning the game.

Lastly if you would like to run Choice Band Tapu Bulu, you would want maximize its Power and Speed by using a Max Attack and Max Speed EV spread with an Adamant Nature.

Another Suggestion is the move Stealth Rock, and Mega Diancie gets access to the move and you can replace either Earth Power or Psychic with the Stealth Rock. Rocks will chip your opponents to setup the late game Azumarill clean.

Good Luck with your team and I hope these suggestions were helpful!

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Return
- Knock Off

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost
- Volt Switch

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes / Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Hey nightpetals this is a solid team for a player who is new to the Monotype and the competitive scene in general. However, I do have some changes to suggest .

First off, I'd replace Tapu Fini with Azumarill, as it provides the team with a solid win condition as a late game sweeper. As a Fairy / Water type Azumarill just outclasses Tapu Fini as a member on Mono Fairy. It can utilize Normalium Z Belly Drum letting it take a hit and still get off the Belly Drum become a late game sweeper and provide offensive presence which Tapu Fini does not. You mentioned Mono Poison being tough, Azumarill with a Jolly Nature and Return can ease the Poison matchup as it can break Mega Venusaur after rocks at +6. You also stated that your team lacks speed but Azumarill can use a priority Aqua Jet to beat mons that are faster than it. Knock off at +6 can get OHKO's on Celesteela , and Ferrothorn and Skarmory after Rocks damage, which helps vs Steel.

Some minor changes I would suggest are,

For your Tapu Koko, I would advise running the Magnet over Life Orb as its held item so you do not lose unnecessary HP on it when dishing out your STAB Thunderbolt while still boosting its power.

Klefki should be running dual screens Reflect and Light Screen in order to support it's teammates and half the damage from all your opponents attacks. Foul Play is a must to punish Swords Dance Mega Scizor because your team lacks Babiri Berry Fire Blast Clefable as a Scizor check. Now a choice for the last spot would be between, Spikes which you can hazard stack your opponent so that your opponents are more easily worn down to be in range of Azumarill, and Thunder Wave is nice utility to half the speed of your opponents to aid Azumarill in winning the game.

Lastly if you would like to run Choice Band Tapu Bulu, you would want maximize its Power and Speed by using a Max Attack and Max Speed EV spread with an Adamant Nature.

Another Suggestion is the move Stealth Rock, and Mega Diancie gets access to the move and you can replace either Earth Power or Psychic with the Stealth Rock. Rocks will chip your opponents to setup the late game Azumarill clean.

Good Luck with your team and I hope these suggestions were helpful!

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Return
- Knock Off

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Roost
- Volt Switch

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes / Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out! Just out of curiosity, what is a babiri fire blast clefable? I've been having trouble with Mega Scizor as well so could you provide a set for that for me? I also am not sure what to do in terms of clearing out entry hazards now that Tapu Fini is gone

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out! Just out of curiosity, what is a babiri fire blast clefable? I've been having trouble with Mega Scizor as well so could you provide a set for that for me?

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast

This set is used as a Mega Scizor Check. It’s survives a boosted Bullet Punch and OHKOs Mega Scizor back with Fire Blast after Stealth Rock Damage. Fire Blast also does a considerable amount to Ferrothorn. With this set you can run Stealth Rock on it allowing you to run both Earth Power and Psychic coverage moves on Mega Diancie, and Moonblast is a spammable Fairy STAB. Softboiled allows Clefable to restore HP. The Pokémon I would recommend replacing would definitely be Sylveon, however the reason I didn’t suggest it previously is because you mentioned Sylveon is your favourite Pokémon and that you wanted to build around it.

Hope this helps !

Clefable @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast

This set is used as a Mega Scizor Check. It’s survives a boosted Bullet Punch and OHKOs Mega Scizor back with Fire Blast after Stealth Rock Damage. Fire Blast also does a considerable amount to Ferrothorn. With this set you can run Stealth Rock on it allowing you to run both Earth Power and Psychic coverage moves on Mega Diancie, and Moonblast is a spammable Fairy STAB. Softboiled allows Clefable to restore HP. The Pokémon I would recommend replacing would definitely be Sylveon, however the reason I didn’t suggest it previously is because you mentioned Sylveon is your favourite Pokémon and that you wanted to build around it.

Hope this helps !
Thank you! I'll just make 2 versions of the same team, one with clefable and one with sylveon haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)