ORAS OU Mega Lucario

Disclaimer: No longer affiliated with Mega Lucario.

This is an old Mega Lucario team I revamped for ORAS. It's been enjoying some mild success on the ladder reaching nearly 1500, but since then I've been a bit sloppy and the team could probably do with some optimization, so that's why I've come here.

It started off when I was looking through my old teams to see if any of them could be modernized and stand up to the new meta. I'm not the greatest teambuilder, but every time I create a team that I either enjoy or find success with I keep it on showdown.. so you can imagine I've got a quite a few gimmicky teams catching dust. Anyway, this early XY team was the only one that seemed to stand a chance. I didn't have to change too much, just a few items/sets and of course replace Mega Lucario.
I decided to replace it with Mega-Lopunny, even though the two share very little in common the rest of the team was more than capable of supporting the bunny.

So onto the team!

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Return

With the popularity of Fake Out sets, MLop forces a fair amount of switches, I decided to use this to my advantage and run Substitute to giving Lopunny an extra turn to attack and temporary immunity to status. The sub also gives me a valuable chance to use Power-Up-Punch safely before slapping things silly with Drain Punch or Return. I have a pretty extensive volturn core going on as most of the game revolves around finding the opportune moment to bring this bunny to the field, because once it's safely in it has potential to wreck.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Latias is my hazard control dude and sacrificial cleric if needed. The set is a standard one ripped straight from the smogdex. Hidden Power Fire takes Latias' steel threats by surprise, ferrothorn, scizor, magnezone etc. Though with Heatran on 4 teams out of 5, it becomes a risk to use or depending on the opponents team a complete redundancy. Before now I always ran Psyshock for the secondary STAB and so special walls didn't completely shut her down, so that's something to consider, but I have been enjoying removing steel types by surprise.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Lando-T is the first member of my voltturn core, and has been a particularly good pokemon to run this generation. I opted for a bulky utility set, the team really needs a Stealth Rock setter for the residual damage and for easier KOs. Knock Off is a generic good move and adds further utility on top of intimidate and SR. U-turn is valuable for maintaining momentum and providing opportunity to bring in MLop.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Scizor is the second volturn member. When I first started using this team he seemed a little bit redundant. Lando does a good job as a physical wall and they both share u-turn and knock off as moves, but as time went on I saw the value in Scizor, and with Choice Band attached he packs a punch. It can be a pain being locked into the wrong move though, I probably use him too soon in matches, but it's hard not to with his the useful resistances and strong u-turn. Superpower has nailed a few Heatran and the occasional Tyranitar on the switch, which is primarily what it's there for. Knock Off, even though it's Lando has it has still found enough use to warrant a spot. During a standard game, Scizor is usually taking hits and u-turning out. I'm not sure if the EVs are optimal, I don't think I changed them from when this team used to sport Luke.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This machine is sort of the final member of the volturn core. It's usually my lead pokemon if I anticipate Heatran or Lando-T as the opposing lead. It really is just a standard defensive Rotom, it's good at what it does, keeping momentum up and crippling mons with Will-O-Wisp. It's acted as a shaky answer to Greninja more than once as well, which is something this team is pretty weak to. I believe the speed EVs are for outspeeding jolly Azumarill.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Choice Specs Sylveon; Hyper Voice spammer and pseudo volturner. Neutral Hyper Voice does more to most mons than a super-effective Psyshock/Shadow Ball would. The other moves aren't quite there for filler though, but they require a certain amount of prediction to make use of. Psyshock for special walls and nailing Venusaur on the switch and similarly Shadow Ball is to hit Metagross and the odd Jirachi on the switch.
Baton Pass is something I've fallen in love with, it's a really neat tool to gain momentum, and it's usually the move I use if I'm unsure of what the opponent will do, because whether they stay in or switch out, the momentum is still on my side. Plus since Sylveon is a big steel bait it's a really good way of 'double switching' to Lando-T but with added certainty as Baton Pass is always going after the switch.

So that's my team, I don't know whether any massive improvements can be made to it or if it's more of a case of git gud.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Return

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Healing Wish

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Atk / 48 Def
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Threats (I'll update with anymore I find)
Stall teams!
If Scizor gets removed, this guy is a pain to take out.
As above, no Scizor means I have difficulties.

Last edited:
no fire type= Dumb

what is your team weak to without lando because talonflame/infernape/darmanitan could work so amazing

Lando is a pretty important glue mon for this team offering momentum in the form of u-turn and utility with knock off and stealth rock. It can also switch into most unboosted physical attackers and force them out again. I don't think there are any fire types that can match both these criteria.

Heatran could provide stealth rocks and defense via resistances
Infernape has rocks and also u-turn I believe, but its defenses a quite lacking.

I could swap out scizor for a hard hitting fire type Talonflame or Victini and use Lando as my equivocal physical wall, since rotom-w covers his water/ice weaknesses nicely.

Thanks for the suggestion though, you've given me something to think about :)

Fake-Out has no place on that spread and is only really associable with all-out attacker Lop (or three attacks + filler). Each move has a pretty set role on this Lop set that can't really accommodate Fake Out; Sub helps dodge status and makes set-up easier, PuP is set-up, Drain Punch is recovery very much necessary on a mon with Substitute and Return is solid STAB to hit anything that resists Drain Punch.

Fake-Out has no place on that spread and is only really associable with all-out attacker Lop (or three attacks + filler). Each move has a pretty set role on this Lop set that can't really accommodate Fake Out; Sub helps dodge status and makes set-up easier, PuP is set-up, Drain Punch is recovery very much necessary on a mon with Substitute and Return is solid STAB to hit anything that resists Drain Punch.
Frustration > return imo

I don't really understand Frustration over Return. Is it literally there just for Ditto? Or is there a reason I'm unaware of?

Oh, I also have the pleasure of removing Greninja from the threatlist now!

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I don't really understand Frustration over Return. Is it literally there just for Ditto? Or is there a reason I'm unaware of?

Oh, I also have the pleasure of removing Greninja from the threatlist now!
Frustration is run because of Ditto, as you said. There's no downside to running Frustration if the opponent doesn't have one and when they do, most of the time they run max happiness so running Frustration gives you a statistical advantage.

As for the team it looks pretty solid to me but you're not really weak to Venusaur and they aren't very common as it is. So, you COULD (optional) slash a move like Heal Bell or Hidden Power with it. Hidden Power fairly obvious, heal bell because with Specs Sylveon the main thing you do is just click Hyper Voice (or BP) anyway and Heal Bell offers nice support to your team. Another optional switch is Pursuit > Knock Off on Scizor. This team isn't overall Lati-weak but it doesn't exactly appreciate it either, the only switchins being sylveon and scizor. Sylveon is 2hkod by Psyshock and Scizor has no recovery and not amazing SpD to be able to take on a Lati multiple times. Not a lot I have to say otherwise, looks really solid. :]

Frustration is run because of Ditto, as you said. There's no downside to running Frustration if the opponent doesn't have one and when they do, most of the time they run max happiness so running Frustration gives you a statistical advantage.

As for the team it looks pretty solid to me but you're not really weak to Venusaur and they aren't very common as it is. So, you COULD (optional) slash a move like Heal Bell or Hidden Power with it. Hidden Power fairly obvious, heal bell because with Specs Sylveon the main thing you do is just click Hyper Voice (or BP) anyway and Heal Bell offers nice support to your team. Another optional switch is Pursuit > Knock Off on Scizor. This team isn't overall Lati-weak but it doesn't exactly appreciate it either, the only switchins being sylveon and scizor. Sylveon is 2hkod by Psyshock and Scizor has no recovery and not amazing SpD to be able to take on a Lati multiple times. Not a lot I have to say otherwise, looks really solid. :]
Actually mega venu is making a huge come back now that greninja is gone..... But knock off definitely should not be removed because it helps against mons that rely on their items and pursuit is mainly for bisharp and ttar.

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Actually mega venu is making a huge come back now that greninja is gone..... But knock off definitely should not be removed because it helps against mons that rely on their items and pursuit is mainly for bisharp and ttar.
His team isn't overly weak to venu though and it may be getting more usage but it's not like Metagross kinda usage. And everything I said there was pretty optional as the team itself is pretty solid. I was just making a case for slashing it or trying it to help out vs lati and other mons. Probably should have made it more clear that I wasn't suggesting that Knock Off was bad on this team because it really isn't. I was just saying it's an option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)