Mario Party

Most of you know Mario Party right? From your childhood, you remember hours with your friends on your carpet, never getting bored. That was back in the day when the first Mario Party came out.

Later, they make a sequel which dosen't disappoint.

Then, 3 comes out. It's good, but it isn't really the same as the first 2.

Then to the Game Cube, 4 comes out. Pretty revolutionary.

5? Okay...well it wasn't that good.

6...wow this sucks.

7? Jeez, give it a break!

Then 8. This is basically where it ends.

Play Mario Party, then Mario Party 8. See the difference? Why does it suck worse every time they make a sequel? It should get more revolutionary each release, but no. When someone told me about 9, (not announced or confirmed) then I kinda felt bad. I didn't want it. For the first time in my life, I feel disappointed in Mario. When will they pull the plug on Mario Party? Will it get better? Why did it get worse?

And yes, I know. This is overdoing it. But truly, there's nowhere else to say this other than a Pokemon site.

Maybe the older Mario Party games seem better to you because of nostalgia. I played MP3 first and I hated MP1 and MP2.

1 and 2 were amazing. The mini-game mode was definitely my favorite, with the adventure-style mode in MP1 being the best. MP3 included the "duel boards" for the first time, and imo that was the 2nd best thing to come to the series. I've played most of them after 4, but they haven't been even close to the first couple.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
7 and 8 aren't any worse than 1 and 2. I never played a few in the middle, but it's a pretty Dynasty Warrior/Megamanesque series. Either you like it and you'll like them all, or you don't. The games are pretty ok without much innovation for better or worse.

7 and 8 are probably worse. The need to churn out games nearly always leads to relying on gimmicking up the game and introducing extremely redundant parts. Granted the last game I played was 6, but it was this way.

Oh my gosh. Mario Party 5. I spent so much time playing that game on Gamecube. That and Kirby's Air Ride. Fun shit

The reason why I think the newer Mario Party games are not as fun is because the mini games are not nearly as challanging as they used to be, it could also be nostalgia like what Obsessed said.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I had to Luvdisc this thread. This was a topic of discussion I've had with some of my friends, and we all agree with the OP.

I've got all the Mario Parties except 3 and 6. 1 and 2 were great. 2 was probably my favourite, because it solved some of the main issues with the 1st one, like taking forever to buy all the minigames and not having to rotate the control stick in some minigames (which gave me a blister). 1 was still the classic though. But as the series went on, I found that the games became more luck based, especially with the introduction of the DK space, and the minigames weren't as fun. Board games also became too long. 7 was still fine though, and its 8 player mode was definitely a plus when I had more than 3 friends over.

MP8 just sucked. The amount of luck in a board game just became unbearable; you know its bad when you lose to someone who's never played the game before and losses most, if not all, the minigames. For examples of luck, there's the very long map with ships and the star at the very end; the person who rolls the highest numbers almost always wins. The extras in MP8, like 2 new characters, and all the "figures" you can buy, don't change the gameplay and don't remedy the game's faults. The Wii remote movements were good, but the minigames were still, in general, worse than the previous ones. Not sure how to describe that the old ones were better; I just found them more enjoyable. Mushroom mix up was my favourite. At least it stayed in MP2 with Hexagons instead of Mushrooms.

Fighting minigames were also better in the older MPs.

When will they pull the plug on Mario Party?
It appears they have. Saw a whole bunch of trailers on the Nintendo Channel and Mii Party seems to be just like Mario Party but with no Mario franchise stuff.

You know what mini-game I loved? Party 1's Grab Bag. Everyone's bag has their current coin count, and the idea is to swipe as much as possible. Good times. Also the games where all four players had to work together.

I never got any blisters from rotating the stick with my palm. I did, however, do some lasting damage to the stick though. That's why I'm now paranoid with anything that requires stick rotation.

Also, this thread reminded me of this.

I'm speculating this but it's probably your just expecting newer games to be better, and therefore having a higher expectation, but when it doesn't meet your expectation, you think it's bad.

That could be 100% wrong, since I've never played 1,2,3,5,6,7 (well I'm not that of a gamer, or I just stick with pokemon more)

8 was terrible because they took away the bonus star for most minigame wins. In the original the bonus stars served to counteract someone getting lucky stars by allowing people who were good at the game to get the bonus stars.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)