Manaphy and Friends

So the premise behind this team was to have two set up sweepers that cover opposite sides of the type spectrum so that I could focus on setting one of them up and sweeping. I chose volcorona and manaphy as they're both relatively bulky and have plenty of chances to set up.

Team Building Process:

As with any volcorona set, it's necessary to have stealth rock off the field. I really don't enjoy being spin blocked, especially with all the ghosts (mega Gengar and Aegislash) everywhere. I decided to use skarmory as a defog user, and as a bulky pivot. Skarmory manages to wall so many threats in this metagame, such as mega Kangaskhan that would otherwise sweep my team. Additionally it has whirlwind to phaze out these setup sweepers and maintain momentum.

I've never found it a bad thing to double up on bulky waters. Rotom-W checks so many threats in this metagame, and screws over any physical attacker. Additionally, it maintains momentum with volt-switch.

Manaphy and Volcorna together can get around almost every wall (even special walls such as heatran) in the metagame. Except one godforsaken pink blob. Because of this I needed a fighting type that can quickly dispose of it. However Blissey/Chansey are usually paired with a defensive pokemon that can take terrakion or concledure. The two fighting types that can OHKO both Blissey and pokemon such as skamory or gliscor are keldeo and infernape. Because I didn't want to compound a weakness to grass and electric moves, I chose infernape. In addition to covering Blissey and friends, infernape can check pokemon like greninja and mega Khangiskan.

Finally I needed a scarfer that could sweep on the physical side if neither manaphy or volcorona could do anything. I also wanted the scarfer the be ground type so I could switch in on predicted rotom volt switchs or genesect locked into thunderbolt. At first I tried garachomp, but I found that skarfchomp often got walled one way or the other with the only moves that packed a punch being outrage and earthquake. I noticed that many of times pokemon with levitate were switching in on earthquake. So in the end I replaced garchomp with mold breaker excadrill. Excadrill has much better coverage with earthquake, is just as powerful, and doesn't have to get locked into outrage.

The Team:

Sweeping Core

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
Evs: 240 HP/ 16 SpA/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Tail Glow
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Energy Ball

One turn set up and manaphy can OHKO pretty much the entire metagame, outside pokes like ferrothorn (which is why I have volcorona). However because it 100 base speed is not that fast, often a fast team can take out manaphy at the cost of a few of their pokes. However, even then manaphy has done its job and torn huge holes in their team that my other pokes can exploit. The only pokes that manaphy really has to watch out for are thunderus-I as it outspeeds and OHKO's with thunderbolt. With 240 HP investment, manaphy is fairly bulky and can switch in on resisted hits easily. If the oppposing team is balanced or stall, has few pokes faster than manaphy that can hurt it, and has blissey/chansey weakened, than having a reasonable healthy manaphy is practically gg.

Volcorna @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
-Quiver Dance
-Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz
-Giga Drain

Volcorona is the other half of my sweeping core. Volcorona is relatively bulky even without investment and can easily find time for set up. Even without set up, max investment Fireblasts with life orb boost are nothing to laugh at. This its typing allows it to wall pokes such as scizor and set up or attack the incoming switch. Flamebody is a nice perk that can score bonus burns against U-turning genesects or scissors. If skamory is gone, Volcorona can hope for a burn against Kangaskhan (As Kangaskhan hits twice, the burn is actually more likely to happen than not). Giga Drain is used to recover off Life Orb damage, and can take out Rotom-Ws that have about 60% of health without quiver dance.

Defensive/Bulky Core:

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
232 HP/ 56 SpA/ 220 Spe
232 HP/ 56 SpA/ 220 SpD
Nature: Modest
-Hydro Pump
-Will-O-Wisp
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power [Ice]

I've already mentioned this, but Rotom-W checks so many pokes it today's metagame. It can wall pokes such as Azuramil and TalonFlame, which would otherwise pose a significant threat to the rest of the team. It is bulky enough so that it can switch back in multiple times in the match. It can burn everything I don't like such as Mega Kangiskhan (wow I've probably spelled Kangiskhan about five different ways by this point), tyranitar, or opposing rotom-w's. These burns make it a whole lot easier for manaphy to sweep the entire opponents team. Volt-swich is great for maintaing momentum and Hydro pump does reasonable damage to most pokes. I am still debating pain split over hidden power ice, as after the hidden power ice nerf it is very underwhelming. The only thing it's really good for is hitting gliscor when its trying to set up subs on hydro pump.

Skamory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
226 HP/ 252 Def/ 30 SpD
Nature: Impish
-Defog
-Roost
-Stealth Rock
-Whirlwind

Yes I know that it's taunt bait. Yes I know that running stealth rock contradicts running defog. However, I've chosen these moves carefully. Skamory was chosen as the defog user, as it is neutral to stealth rock, can come in on many threats and use defog when I need rocks gone, and has excellent defensive synergy with the rest of the team. It can come in on so many threats such as excadrill, landorus-T, gliscor, or Mega Kangaskhan and set up rocks, defog, or phaze them out. Although it is taunt bait, Skarmory had no place using brave bird on most the pokes that use taunt anyways, so I might as well switch out. Stealth rock and defog are not contradictory when I don't use them both. Having both allows skamory to control hazards perfectly. When I need rocks more than I need the gone, I use stealth rock. When I really need rocks off I use defog. Often I can set up rocks after volcorona loses its use. In addition, most people don't think that skarmory will run defog and will sacrifice their hazard user only to watch skarmory clearing away their's and setting up my own rocks. Roost is essential for longevity.

Revenge Killer/ Backup Sweeper

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-X-Scissor

Excadrill serves as an excellent revenge killer, as its speed allows it to dispose of most threats except for a few such as opposing Volcorona (which I'll discuss later). Most people don't expect excadrill to be scarfed so after disposing of something usually slower than excadrill, the opponent may send in something they think is faster, only to watch it OHKO'd by earthquake. The set is pretty self explanatory. Unless there's a reason not to, earthquake is the button to spam. Rockslide is for talonflame and unboosted volcorona. X-scissor is situationally more usefull than earthquake for pokes like celebi. Iron head is really only for when you really need a flinch against something like Tyranitar. I'm open to move changes for any of the moves outside of earthquake and rock slide. Many teams only use levitating pokes as their ground resists and excadrill can exploit this with moldbreaker. Sometimes I see people habitually put in gengar or rotom to absorb the earthquake, only to watch them get OHKO'd.

Pink Blob Exterminator (seriously fuck this thing)

Infernape @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
180 Atk/ 76 SpA/ 252 Spe
Trait: Hasty
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-Thunder Punch Stone Edge
-Mach Punch

Have I mentioned that I don't like Blissey and Chansey? Infernape manages to take down both of these pokes and can also deal with common core members such as skarmory or gliscor. Additionally it takes down ferrorthorn which can other wise be a thorn in my side (haha get it?) with over heat. Mach punch can pick of weakened pokes and deal heavy damage to greninja. Close combat also OHKO's tyranitar which is important as excadrill's earthquake can fail to OHKO it. Thunder punch is marginally useful it situations like defeating a weakened togekiss. Overall, don't expect for infernape to stick around too long after its purpose has been fulfilled.

Threat list:

I'll keep this short, and focus on the main threats to this team.

Opposing volcorona: Don't let this thing set up. If it has giga drain and is offensive variant your fucked. If you see it, make sure to have stealth rock in, skarmory at full health to whirlwind, or have excadrill in when the opponent switches in volcorona.

Special Scarf Gensect: Not as big a threat as volcorona, but is really annoying as it can deal solid damage to most all pokes on team. Generally the best way to dispose of it is to gradually wear it down. Volcorona can take any attack it has and OHKO with fire blast.

I've had a great time using this team, as its not quite as offensive and choice item heavy as my other teams, and gives a little more leeway in prediction. I'm open to changes to any of the pokes, just don't tell me that skarmory is taunt bait or that its purpose is contradictory. For some reason most pictures were being deleted when I saved changes, so I just used smogon's sprites for the most part.

Last edited:
Nice team you have there. Since you said that your team was weak to volcarona, switching Thunder Punch on Infernape to Stone Edge/ Rockslide would help out a bit since your Infernape is set up bait for Volc if you're at
-2 spatk (overheat). It also still hits Togekiss super effectively.
Another change you could make is making Rotomwash a specially defensive (252 hp 252+spdef) set since only a few of your pokes can switch in on things such as life orb Greninja. The speed on rotomwash is not as usefull as it used to be (brelooms and politoeds aren't as common anymore). Hp Ice should be replaced with Pain Split for a form of recovery since Hp ice isnt very usefull on Rotom Wash.
Hope this rate was useful.

Wow, I never thought of putting stone edge on infernape. That does allow tenticruel to wall it, but seems worth it as tenticruel is much rarer this gen.

On rotom-w I think I will replace hp ice with pain split, as I can just wall gliscors attempting to set up subs with skarmory anyways. I'll try out the special defensive set and see how it works out.

Edit: Tried Specially defensive Rotom-W. While I appreciated the extra bulk in tanking some special hits, I find the rotom was already bulky enough to take most of those hits. I also ran into the problem of not hitting water types such as azuramill hard enough, leaving manaphy alone to deal with it.

Last edited:
If specially defensive Rotom isn't useful enough, i guess you could try out a physically defensive set with a spread of 252 hp 252 def Bold/Relaxed(if you want to Volt Switch slower against opposing Rotom W). It will give you an even better switch-in for Talonflames since it seems only Rotom W can switch in. Otherwise, a +2 Brave Bird does well over 50% to Rotom:

+2 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 177-209 (58.2 - 68.7%)
+2 252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 129-152 (42.4 - 50%)

I'm not too sure about how to solve your issue with water types. Usually Infernape shouldn't stay in on water types anyways so you could try U-Turn instead of Stone Edge/Thunder Punch. That way you can switch to something that threatens it as a water type switches into Infernape.

I decided that I liked the special defense addition to rotom, and since I don't want to lower the SpA, I think I'll put speed evs in special defense. The speed tiers are pretty out of date, so i'll just see what kind of things I get out-spead by. Like you said, its actually nice to be slower than other rotoms as I get the better position for burning or volt switching. I settled on a spread of 232 HP/ 56 SpA/ 220 SpD and modest.

I actually haven't found that I have a very big problem with water types as I have two bulky water types that can hit back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)