(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

New generation of the anime incoming with big changes, so once again I am begging and pleading them to drop the "pokemon saying their own names as cries" shit.

The paradoxes are going to be fucking UNBEARABLE if they dont
Legendaries and legendary-adjacents usually don't do that, right? I know Kartana spoke human backward and Guzzlord just screamed.

Even if they do say their "names", I feel like most of them would sound fine if they only said one of the words in their name, or if they just used a variation of whatever their present versions say.

Legendaries and legendary-adjacents usually don't do that, right? I know Kartana spoke human backward and Guzzlord just screamed.

Even if they do say their "names", I feel like most of them would sound fine if they only said one of the words in their name, or if they just used a variation of whatever their present versions say.
I remember I found something weird as (in the French anime) Buzzwole says his name before Lusamine names it

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
For most Pokemon who evolve when traded with an item, the item is generally incorporated into the evolved form's design in some way. Huntail has big sharp teeth; Gorebyss has deep pink scales. Rhyperior has armour segments resembling the Protector; Scizor and Steelix are loose versions of their previous forms in metal plating. Kingdra has acquired a coat of scales; Electivire and Magmortar are basically powered-up versions of Electabuzz and Magmar. Slurpuff and Aromatisse take on the traits of their items; Dusknoir is basically just a stronger Dusclops. While the King's Rock isn't incorporated in Slowking's design, it has a crown and a regal theme so it's abstracted.

Politoed is the only Pokemon to evolve via trade+item to not have any clear link. This is due to its evolution method having been changed since the beta from an evolution stone - it's a shoutout to the original design of Poliwrath, which wore a crown ( ).

But Politoed is doubly odd, because not only is its thematic link to the King's Rock rather loose (its Japanese name apparently comes from the word "lord", but beyond that there's not much royalty/nobility theming I can see) it's just so inconsistent with its evolutionary relatives. It has almost nothing in common with Poliwhirl design-wise. I like it a lot, but very few Pokemon have such an extreme distance with their prior forms.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
New generation of the anime incoming with big changes, so once again I am begging and pleading them to drop the "pokemon saying their own names as cries" shit.

The paradoxes are going to be fucking UNBEARABLE if they dont
Highly doubt they'll drop the Pokemon saying their names.

That said, there are plenty of Pokemon who just have monster roars in the anime (Charizard, Salamence, Tyranitar, several legendaries) and the Paradoxes can easily just have those.

Or alternatively, since the Paradoxes are derivative of present day Pokemon with normal names, they can just say their present day counterpart's name. Like Great Tusk and Iron Treads will both just have "Donphan" as their cry, Brute Bonnet will just say "Amoonguss", Iron Hands will just say "Hariyama", etc. After all, the Paradox names aren't really their names but codenames by scientists given to currently unidentified and foreign Pokemon.

Koraidon and Miraidon had the two word naming trend most Paradoxes do in canon once upon a time before they got their real names, Koraidon and Miraidon, after all.

But Politoed is doubly odd, because not only is its thematic link to the King's Rock rather loose (its Japanese name apparently comes from the word "lord", but beyond that there's not much royalty/nobility theming I can see) it's just so inconsistent with its evolutionary relatives. It has almost nothing in common with Poliwhirl design-wise. I like it a lot, but very few Pokemon have such an extreme distance with their prior forms.
Many of Politoed’s Pokédex entries talk how it rules over the Poliwags and Poliwhirls with its voice, and the Hoenn dex refers to the curl on its head as a symbol of Politoed’s king status. So we can interpret the curl as the manifestation of the king’s rock.

I’ve always liked how much of a jump Politoed is from Poliwhirl. Felt like a more fully realized third stage for a frog line even though I do love Poliwrath too.

I’m curious why there’s not much lore on Politoed and Poliwrath interacting. None of the split evos really mention the other, which is a bit odd.

Last edited:
Highly doubt they'll drop the Pokemon saying their names.

That said, there are plenty of Pokemon who just have monster roars in the anime (Charizard, Salamence, Tyranitar, several legendaries) and the Paradoxes can easily just have those.

Or alternatively, since the Paradoxes are derivative of present day Pokemon with normal names, they can just say their present day counterpart's name. Like Great Tusk and Iron Treads will both just have "Donphan" as their cry, Brute Bonnet will just say "Amoonguss", Iron Hands will just say "Hariyama", etc. After all, the Paradox names aren't really their names but codenames by scientists given to currently unidentified and foreign Pokemon.

Koraidon and Miraidon had the two word naming trend most Paradoxes do in canon once upon a time before they got their real names, Koraidon and Miraidon, after all.
My only issue is that giving the Paradoxes their "normal" counterparts' cries would kind of undercut the in-universe speculative element to them, since despite the physical resemblance they're played as if they only theoretically relate to the Pokemon we're familiar with. This also begs the question of if the Future Paradoxes would be treated as anomalies, cyborg descendants, or machines-in-image of several Pokemon, on top of their resemblance to existing Pokemon to begin with.

Iron Valiant also raises the question of how they can pull that, since Gardevoir/Gallade are a species that normally do the "say your name" speech, but Valiant is two species to reconcile.

Given the Paradoxes being dangerous and, in several cases, vicious, I think the more bestial approach of monster roars suits the Past ones, while the futures could be more machine noises and static in nature.

I really hate how in Scarlet and Violet, to hear the normal overworld music (which can be beautiful piano pieces) you have to deliberately not travel on Koraidon / Miraidon and choose an objectively slower pace of walking / running. Sure, you're less likely to bump into Pokemon, but still. The bike theme worked in the old games because areas were only a few screens long. A riding theme simply doesn't work in an open world game unless you want me to mute the music.

I really hate how in Scarlet and Violet, to hear the normal overworld music (which can be beautiful piano pieces) you have to deliberately not travel on Koraidon / Miraidon and choose an objectively slower pace of walking / running. Sure, you're less likely to bump into Pokemon, but still. The bike theme worked in the old games because areas were only a few screens long. A riding theme simply doesn't work in an open world game unless you want me to mute the music.
I think it works here because it's not "The Ride Theme", it's the same base theme but with either extra instrumentation on top or tweaked instrumentation.
East Province's normal theme is fine, but the "ride" theme takes it to the next level. I feel similarly about most of the themes; South Province has that nice slow piano tune but the horns brought in while riding are still enjoyable too.

It feels far more natural and fits the "tone" of what you're likely to be doing, without completely overwriting what the song was to begin with

I generally don't like EVs... that make playing Pokemon games very inconvinient when you know about them. It is easier than the old stat system in terms of Pokemon reaching their full potential, but it just isn't fun defeating the same Pokemon over and over again. As a kid, I loved beating up Pokemon especially a huge variaty. Thanks to EVs, I can't even enjoy that because it affects what EVs go on what stat.
Maybe it has been improved in the Switch Era, but I am still playing on GBA, DS and 3DS trying to complete my competitive dex in Pokemon Platinum and Emerald while leftovers are transferred to Gen 5 and traded over the GTS for people who still need E-Vires or something.

Coupled with breeding a bunch of decent iv Pokemon to train just to be sure I have a few good ones, I end up with doubles of a bunch of Pokemon I didn't really need. I think I trained like 10 Glaceon and transfered 7 to Gen 5. Non had a good Hidden Power.
Next I am breeding a Sableye with Recover. I have no problem to use the cloning glitch in Emerald to get copies of trained Pokemon and items because it is already hard to grind all these Pokemon. And I want to keep one in Emerald, one for Pokemon XD and another will go to Gen 4.
Breedjects are transfered with Rare Candies to Gen 4 and get released.

With there were more convinient methods to get Pokemon with the moves you want. TMs aren't permanent anymore I heard... sounds annoying.

And I feel a lot of Pokemon need their evolution level and methods retconned. I think a few did. Or at the very least give more Pokemon alternative evolution methods such as ignoring the level of Rufflet when leveling it up in a mountain top or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)