(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Yeah I would really not call the galarian birds roamers at all. Like they literally roam I guess but I'm not calling Abra a roamer either you know?

So there's a time system in the games. And certain evolutions are locked to a time of day. No big deal, I'm already playing at night, I'll just level my Eevee then to get Umbreon. IT TURNS OUT, in Sword/Shield, some areas of the game use real-time, some are locked to specific times of day. Who thought THAT was a reasonable thing to do? I lost about 5 minutes of play resetting so I wouldn't end up with an Espeon.

So there's a time system in the games. And certain evolutions are locked to a time of day. No big deal, I'm already playing at night, I'll just level my Eevee then to get Umbreon. IT TURNS OUT, in Sword/Shield, some areas of the game use real-time, some are locked to specific times of day. Who thought THAT was a reasonable thing to do? I lost about 5 minutes of play resetting so I wouldn't end up with an Espeon.
I think it's actually smart. If you had wanted an Espeon, or if someone in an opposite situation as you had wanted an Umbreon, you don't have to play at an inconvenient time, or wait around for the clock to hit a certain time. You just go to the place with a fixed time.

SWSH, for some insane reason, sets the time to specific times in specific areas during the main story. When you beat the game it unlocks the real time clock everywhere, but until then most areas are day time and very few are in the evening.

Otherwise you have to rely on the Wild Area for real time clock.

I think it's actually smart. If you had wanted an Espeon, or if someone in an opposite situation as you had wanted an Umbreon, you don't have to play at an inconvenient time, or wait around for the clock to hit a certain time. You just go to the place with a fixed time.
Evolving at Night is actually more inconvenient because there's not a lot of areas that are at night. The only ones I can think of are the route outside spikemuth and the route outside the coal mine and---actually I'm not sure those are actually counting towards night? They might just be really cloudy. I know I got tricked by Opal's gym because the forest cover makes you think its night but then you dynamax and wait a minute that's blue skies and my obstagoon is not evolving at all.

It would be... if it didn't completely change in the postgame. Thought I had an easy track to a Lucario I was breeding but, uh, nope; that thing that would have been really useful in postgame specifically is locked to main game...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
And still haven't stopped calling groups that happen to fill roughly the same story role as Team Rocket "teams." :facepalm:
Well we've had the Aether Foundation and Macro Cosmos.

And side games have had a few villain groups without "Team" : Cipher, Go-Rock Squad (though in Japanese they follow the typical villain team naming scheme), Pokemon Pinchers, & Phobos Battalion.

Game Freak's seemingly compulsive need to give every new Pokemon family a signature move or ability. Even when they have a perfectly good Pokemon without anything new like Hatterene, they just have to give it something new even if it does literally nothing for it (Magic Powder).

I've got no problem with the occasional gimmick ability or cool signature move. But when it feels like Game Freak is making new stuff just for the sake of being able to say "look at this thing we've never done before" that's when it becomes a problem.

Of the ~60 new families introduced in Gen 8, only 7 don't have a new signature move or ability: Centiskorch, Copperajah, Dubwool, Indeedee, Orbeetle, Pincurchin, and Thievul. And when taking G-max moves into account, that number drops to 4.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Game Freak's seemingly compulsive need to give every new Pokemon family a signature move or ability. Even when they have a perfectly good Pokemon without anything new like Hatterene, they just have to give it something new even if it does literally nothing for it (Magic Powder).

I've got no problem with the occasional gimmick ability or cool signature move. But when it feels like Game Freak is making new stuff just for the sake of being able to say "look at this thing we've never done before" that's when it becomes a problem.

Of the ~60 new families introduced in Gen 8, only 7 don't have a new signature move or ability: Centiskorch, Copperajah, Dubwool, Indeedee, Orbeetle, Pincurchin, and Thievul. And when taking G-max moves into account, that number drops to 4.
I disagree 100%. I love the they give pretty much everything something unique. Especially now that we get less new Pokemon overall each generation. It really helps make each Pokemon feel even more unique and gives you something else to look forward about them other than the usual stuff. Some of these unique features can be a little underwhelming, though, like when all Hatterene gets is 'Magic Powder.' or something like that. I also really like seeing which of the unique moves/abilities will be explored further with other Pokemon when the generation shifts.

Tecnically, Indeedee and Pincurchin got access to Surge abilities which would otherwise be exclusive to Tapus, with Dubwool gaining access to Fluffy which was a signature Ability before, same for Thievul and Stakeout.

I think lately GF is having this habit of giving pokemon signature spells / abilities, then distributing them more in the next gen.

Gen 7 had quite a lot of those cases moving into gen 8, and to be fair even just going from SM to USUM. (Darkest Lariat, Liquidation, Solar Blade, Strenght Sap to mention the first that cross my mind)

If they were sticking to just spamming signature moves/abilities that remain as signatures, that'd just end up in another moveset bloat and another movexit down the lines. I like the approach of "temporarly signature" stuff however.

I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like Magic Powder or Strange Steam suddently gain distribution in gen 9

If they were sticking to just spamming signature moves/abilities that remain as signatures, that'd just end up in another moveset bloat and another movexit down the lines. I like the approach of "temporarly signature" stuff however.
I mean being signature moves or being temporarily signature moves or just brand new moves that go to everyone it wouldn't matter for a "movexit" at all. They still made those moves.
If its going to happen again, its going to happen no matter what the context of the moves are.

It really helps make each Pokemon feel even more unique and gives you something else to look forward about them other than the usual stuff.
Does it though? Does it really? Does Polteageist feel unique because it has Teatime, or because it has Shell Smash + Stored Power? Does Galarian Rapidash feel unique because it has Pastel Veil, or because it's a rare example of both a physical Fairy-type and a physical Psychic-type? Does Sirfetch'd feel unique because it has Meteor Assault, or because it's an evolution to one of the biggest meme Pokemon of all time?

Likewise, does Dubwool not feel unique despite its access to Cotton Guard + Body Press, plus the previously exclusive Fluffy? Does Centiskorch not feel unique despite its previously exclusive typing and access to cool moves like Coil, Knock Off, and Fire Lash (another previous exclusive!)?

Pokemon don't need signature moves and abilities to feel unique. They just need to combine old or common things in new and interesting ways.

I mean being signature moves or being temporarily signature moves or just brand new moves that go to everyone it wouldn't matter for a "movexit" at all. They still made those moves.
If its going to happen again, its going to happen no matter what the context of the moves are.
I mean, yes, but in theory it'd happen less as (most) of those signature moves that do get redistributed are actually good.
Ofc noone is going to care if/when Magic Powder gets dexited, but seeing stuff like Mystical Fire or Strenght Sap go from "oh this pokemon exists and had this?" to "Oh everyone and their mom runs this" is pretty neat if you ask me.

Expecially as the case of "Good move on bad pokemon" is pretty common with Signature moves and abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 12)