(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

-Kantonian Golem, Rhydon, Kantonian Marowak, and Aerodactyl getting nothing of to use with Rock Head outside of Double-Edge, which is exclusive to Gen III(Also Rhydon and Aerodactyl get Take Down, but no-one cares about that)

-On a similar note, The Rhyhorn line Getting Reckless as their Hidden Ability but get nothing but Take Down without the help of the Gen I VC games, and even with them all it adds is Double-Edge and Submission. Getting a HA Rhyhorn/don/perior in Gens V-VIII is completely pointless
You know I had given the benefit of the doubt that these pokemon did evnetually get more moves to use them but...wow, no, you're right. Even as of gen 8....

Why are they so skiddish about giving Head Smash to these Pokemon? Honestly its a miracle Aggron got it. Golem, Rhydon/Rhyperior and Marowak in particular are all fairly slow Pokemon that wouldnt tear the meta apart or anything.

At the very least give them Double Edge. Even Basculin got Double Edge. And USUM gifted it Head Smash!

e: You know while looking through the recoil moves, I'm surprised at how few there are in the series.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Why are they so skiddish about giving Head Smash to these Pokemon? Honestly its a miracle Aggron got it. Golem, Rhydon/Rhyperior and Marowak in particular are all fairly slow Pokemon that wouldnt tear the meta apart or anything.
Probably because it's 150 instead of 120... so the obvious answer would be for them to make it more align with Double-Edge and make is 120 Power with 1/4th recoil.

Probably because it's 150 instead of 120... so the obvious answer would be for them to make it more align with Double-Edge and make is 120 Power with 1/4th recoil.
Yeah but the thing is that...Aggron is right there and is better than or roughly-equivalent to Golem, Rhyperior and Marowak. And it gets Head Smash and Rock Head!

Aerodactyl I can at least maybe sort of understand not wanting to give the 130 base speed pokemon free head smashes but there's really no good reason for the slow phys gang to NOT get probably the best move they could ever want for their abilities. & certainly even less reason to not at least give them Double Edge.

Yeah but the thing is that...Aggron is right there and is better than or roughly-equivalent to Golem, Rhyperior and Marowak. And it gets Head Smash and Rock Head!

Aerodactyl I can at least maybe sort of understand not wanting to give the 130 base speed pokemon free head smashes but there's really no good reason for the slow phys gang to NOT get probably the best move they could ever want for their abilities. & certainly even less reason to not at least give them Double Edge.
I should note that Rhyperior is far and away the best of the Pokemon you listed. It's currently ranked A- in OU and has enough usage to be OU (Reuniclus shows that viability ≠ usage in every generation it isn't OU) and even in recent past gens, it lands in like RU/UU while the others land in NU/PU. Also, while I don't know as much about doubles and VGC, I'm pretty sure Rhyperior is decent there as well.

I should note that Rhyperior is far and away the best of the Pokemon you listed. It's currently ranked A- in OU and has enough usage to be OU (Reuniclus shows that viability ≠ usage in every generation it isn't OU) and even in recent past gens, it lands in like RU/UU while the others land in NU/PU. Also, while I don't know as much about doubles and VGC, I'm pretty sure Rhyperior is decent there as well.
Rhyperior has had a decent niche in VGC this generation, usually as a Weakness Policy + Dynamax target, although it prefers to run Solid Rock + Rock Slide. Occasionally it runs Rock Wrecker (Hyper Beam Clone, same 150 BP as Head Smash) for a nice 150 BP hit while Dynamaxed. If Rhyperior had Head Smash it may run it, but Rock Wrecker is more accurate and usually a safer bet, usually that extra power is unnecessary. The extra damage from Reckless + Head Smash doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for taking 3/4 damage from a super-effective hit. However, Head Smash would still be a decent alternative if you are willing to take the 80% accuracy + 1/2 recoil for exchange for a second hit without considering the Reckless boost. It is still odd that they never gave Rhyperior and others more recoil moves to actually take advantage of Reckless/Rock Head. Why bother with gifting them that Hidden Ability and not consistently give them moves to take advantage of it.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Rhyperior having a decent niche in VGC, I can believe that. But viable in OU? Is that even a joke or something? That is not a sentence I would believe on the spot-
1602811287404.png

Ooh, that's downright impressive considering it has two double weaknesses + low special bulk! Rhyperior haters are still gonna hate, of course.

And here's something that does bothers me, more so regarding the fanbase; some causal fans always give flack to the "ugly" ones even though the ugly one ends up having a lot of in-game or competitive values, and always praise the ones with the best design despite not all of them being the best in-game or competitive. Judging the book by the cover and only the cover, by that.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
And here's something that does bothers me, more so regarding the fanbase; some causal fans always give flack to the "ugly" ones even though the ugly one ends up having a lot of in-game or competitive values, and always praise the ones with the best design despite not all of them being the best in-game or competitive. Judging the book by the cover and only the cover, by that.
Eh, people value different things. Is this any different from the people on this site who act like a Pokemon's existence is only worthwhile if it has a competitive niche?

okay so I'm in the middle of an HGSS run and something that has always set my OCD off about the games is that to get to Pewter City and play through the game in chronological order of gyms, you have to go through the most of the east/south sides of the map and slog through a lot of unavoidable trainers along the way just to do the entire thing all over again. I don't think I'd be quite so annoyed if HGSS weren't my only way of playing through Kanto and thus my only way of replicating somewhat how it felt to play FRLG as a child

I get part of this region's charm is being able to do gym's in any order after cerulean and I certainly take advantage of that fact but it sucks knowing how you have to go the extra mile to do it this way

What you *would* get instead, is a plethora of people demanding that *all previous starters* also get new abilities in order to keep fair game.

Nope, not gonna happen.
Something I've thought could be done for starters is giving them a secondary ability in addition to their classic abilities and their hidden abilities, but make sure that only Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent can be gotten when you get your starter. Obviously it's unfortunate for in-game runs (and makes breeding for their secondary abilities hard if Ditto isn't easily available, given their gender ratio), but it would be a relatively straightforward way to give starter Pokémon access to a wider range of abilities. If they could lock shinyness/gender on mandatory encounters as far back as Gen 2 (yes, i know IVs are what determined if a Pokémon was shiny in Gen 2) and 3 (Wes's Umbreon and Espeon in Colosseum), there's no reason why they can't lock certain abilities in place.

Something I've thought could be done for starters is giving them a secondary ability in addition to their classic abilities and their hidden abilities, but make sure that only Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent can be gotten when you get your starter. Obviously it's unfortunate for in-game runs (and makes breeding for their secondary abilities hard if Ditto isn't easily available, given their gender ratio), but it would be a relatively straightforward way to give starter Pokémon access to a wider range of abilities. If they could lock shinyness/gender on mandatory encounters as far back as Gen 2 (yes, i know IVs are what determined if a Pokémon was shiny in Gen 2) and 3 (Wes's Umbreon and Espeon in Colosseum), there's no reason why they can't lock certain abilities in place.
That... is basically the system we have now.

That... is basically the system we have now.
For in-game functionality, yes, but I'm talking about having Charmander have Blaze/Flash Fire/Solar Power, Totodile have Torrent/Strong Jaw/Sheer Force, and Treecko have Overgrow/Limber/Unburden (just for examples), but the secondary abilities can't be obtained when you get your starter.

It could definitely matter for viability if some of the worse starters got decent abilities, and it would remove the nonsense that is waiting for Game Freak to release hidden ability starters if you want something that's more generally functional (unless they bring back the Ability Patch, and don't make it an absolute slog to get).

I just think it would be a nice flavor addition, and--late though it is--we've seen Pokémon who previously only had one ability get new ones this generation in Koffing. They're finally starting to break out of the "if you have Levitate you can't have other abilities" rut, so why can't they change their mind with the starters?

so why can't they change their mind with the starters?
Because starters are a notable exception. They've always shared the 3 abilities and their main typing since gen 1 and it never changed.

As said, they would need to add a second ability to ALL starters. Since the outcry should only a specific bunch of starters get it would be pretty big (remember how much backfire they're getting because gen 1 starters keep getting new forms and everything else is left in the dust?)

Good luck.

It's not happening, it's just one of the most unrealistic wishlisting you can come with :)

• Angry
Reactions: CPU
An idea I had was to give to player an ability capsule/ability patch about halfway through the story. The game would nudge the player to use it on their starter, but they're to free to use it on any Pokemon. The caveat is that the HA has to be actually worth something, cause nobody's happy when they find out the favorite starters get crap HAs. :Mudkip: :Turtwig:

An idea I had was to give to player an ability capsule/ability patch about halfway through the story. The game would nudge the player to use it on their starter, but they're to free to use it on any Pokemon. The caveat is that the HA has to be actually worth something, cause nobody's happy when they find out the favorite starters get crap HAs. :Mudkip: :Turtwig:
Now now, shell armor isn't that bad, could be worse *looks at Decidueye and Meganium with sad face*

An annoying thing as an USUM Ubers player - the Mega Mewtwos have nearly useless abilitites. And it's not like they couldn't do better --- their designs allow for some interesting abilities. MMY could've gotten something like Levitate (because it is floating in almost all animations), while MMX could've gotten Mold Breaker or Iron Fist or something. But noo, MMY gets Insomnia, while MMX gets Steadfast. I mean, Insomania can be useful against Spore shenanigans (if anyone would try them), while Steadfast can be used against... Scarf Yveltal? Mega Sableye? There really isn't much that can flinch MMX. Maybe Mold Breaker is too good or something, but at least have them get something useful.

If you're gonna say "but with really good abilities they'd be really OP!", look at what they did to MRay. Delta Stream basically nullify all Flying weaknesses whileit gets Flying STAB, Ground immunity, the whole package. It even removes other weather to boot. Nothing stopped Game Freak from giving MRay a broken ability (not to mention it not needing a Megastone). Besides, I'm not saying it should be OP or even extremely good, just some thing like Levitate or Iron Fist or even Defiant or Forewarn - just anything that they can actually use.

Because starters are a notable exception. They've always shared the 3 abilities and their main typing since gen 1 and it never changed.

As said, they would need to add a second ability to ALL starters. Since the outcry should only a specific bunch of starters get it would be pretty big (remember how much backfire they're getting because gen 1 starters keep getting new forms and everything else is left in the dust?)

Good luck.

It's not happening, it's just one of the most unrealistic wishlisting you can come with :)
Look I'm just trying to be reasonable. I'm sure there's very little chance of it happening, but it's there. And I don't see a problem with giving every starter a secondary ability, seems perfectly logical (but logic has never been Game Freak's strong suit :pikuh: )

Ironically Damp would have been great for Swampert in Gens 3 and 4, allowing it to nullify Explosion at a time when its defense-lowering side effect made it devastating even as a last resort option for Pokémon like Heatran and Gengar.

An annoying thing as an USUM Ubers player - the Mega Mewtwos have nearly useless abilitites. And it's not like they couldn't do better --- their designs allow for some interesting abilities. MMY could've gotten something like Levitate (because it is floating in almost all animations), while MMX could've gotten Mold Breaker or Iron Fist or something. But noo, MMY gets Insomnia, while MMX gets Steadfast. I mean, Insomania can be useful against Spore shenanigans (if anyone would try them), while Steadfast can be used against... Scarf Yveltal? Mega Sableye? There really isn't much that can flinch MMX. Maybe Mold Breaker is too good or something, but at least have them get something useful.
Just pointing out that Mega Mewtwo Y has Insomnia as a reference to its movie debut appearance, where it was known as "Awakened Mewtwo" (or something along those lines). Looks like they gave it a minimal ability on purpose.

Just pointing out that Mega Mewtwo Y has Insomnia as a reference to its movie debut appearance, where it was known as "Awakened Mewtwo" (or something along those lines). Looks like they gave it a minimal ability on purpose.
They gave it the ability as a reference to the marketing material they made for it after its creation...?

They gave it the ability as a reference to the marketing material they made for it after its creation...?
I also think they only referred to it as "awakened mewtwo" on the japanese movie website because they had to refer to it as something, but it wasn't actually named as such anywhere else.

Or at the very least what I remember much more is the marketing having to continuously refer to it as "Mysterious pokemon that seems to have a relation to Mewtwo" because megas wouldn't be revealed for another like 5 months.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For in-game functionality, yes, but I'm talking about having Charmander have Blaze/Flash Fire/Solar Power, Totodile have Torrent/Strong Jaw/Sheer Force, and Treecko have Overgrow/Limber/Unburden (just for examples), but the secondary abilities can't be obtained when you get your starter.

It could definitely matter for viability if some of the worse starters got decent abilities, and it would remove the nonsense that is waiting for Game Freak to release hidden ability starters if you want something that's more generally functional (unless they bring back the Ability Patch, and don't make it an absolute slog to get).

I just think it would be a nice flavor addition, and--late though it is--we've seen Pokémon who previously only had one ability get new ones this generation in Koffing. They're finally starting to break out of the "if you have Levitate you can't have other abilities" rut, so why can't they change their mind with the starters?
I was about to list my idea for second Abilities to give to them, but as I did I checked to make sure I didn't accidentally list their Hidden Abilities... and honestly I stopped midway because I realized that most of the time you'd just want to have the Starter with its Hidden Ability. Like, to make their second Ability work consider breeding for it would have to be just as good as their Hidden Ability... but if that's the case why not just make its Hidden Ability the second Ability. And...

An idea I had was to give to player an ability capsule/ability patch about halfway through the story. The game would nudge the player to use it on their starter, but they're to free to use it on any Pokemon. The caveat is that the HA has to be actually worth something, cause nobody's happy when they find out the favorite starters get crap HAs.
With the Ability Patch now being a thing kind of makes the point moot. This is probably the best compromise: give us an Ability Patch for us to use (we don't have to use it on our Starter though it's an option).

With the Ability Patch now being a thing kind of makes the point moot. This is probably the best compromise: give us an Ability Patch for us to use (we don't have to use it on our Starter though it's an option).
I think GF is pretty adamant in keeping those instruments as postgame only.

And honestly, I don't disagree with it.
They want the experience to be that every pokemon is different, if you were able to "change your pokemon as you fit" during every playthrough... then really every playthrough'd be the same. Even as "perfectionist" myself (I refuse to use pokemon with bad abilities or natures in-game), I think being able to alter my pokemon halfway would just have me go and grind those items and thus artificially make an already easy game *even easier*.

So no thanks, please keep ability capsules/patches, bottle caps and nature mints as postgame only items.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)