Lapras: Raining Success?

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Lapras: Raining Success?
130 / 85 / 80 / 85 / 95 / 60

Ranking 60th in usage for Feb. 2013, which isn't bad, but isn't spectacular either, reflects Lapras as a rather unique Pokemon. Boasting a very high HP stat, great defenses, and viable movesets/abilities, you can't say Lapras has no use on a team. However, having no access to a recovery move crushes Lapras's hopes of being a truly successful wall. Weakness to SR and common move types slow it down as well. This is where Hydration/Rest + Rain comes in. Though, outside the rain setting, can Lapras be used effectively? What kinds of teams does it fit on? And what movesets have proven successful to you?

Here is a moveset that I have used for Lapras, on a rain team, bear in mind:

Lapras @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Waterfall
- Rain Dance / Avalanche

This set utilizes Lapras's great defenses, along with its HydrationRest combo in rain. I've used it on rain teams for NU and has been proven it's worth. As long as the rain stays out, it can set up with Curse, and Rest when it needs to heal. Waterfall is the primary STAB. For the fourth moveslot, Rain Dance is the surperior option, giving Lapras a chance to set up, though, if you want better coverage, Avalauche works as well.

What are your thoughts; opinions; ideas on Lapras? Share below.​

why are you using curse with special attacks only

use waterfall or aqua tail assuming it gets one of those

tehy

Banned deucer.
Actually I believe it may get both

Main problem with this set, really, is that HydraRest is a long-haul type of thing, and without permanent rain, you have serious problems. If you pack Rain Dance, you can keep up the rain, but not only does that limit you to one attack (Either Avalanche, Ice Shard, or Waterfall), but it's still not really a foolproof method. On the turn that rain runs out, you can't rest, and you can't do it again until you RD. Of course, if you DO opt for having only one attack, it's much easier to just whale on you with a resistor/immune until you fall. And if you run it on a dedicated rain team, that kind of stacks weaknesses.

Maybe post some logs or something? If you can show it seriously working against good players, that might help your case

Yes, it gets Aqua Tail, Waterfall, Ice Shard and Avalanche. Therefore, I don't understand why you're running a special moveset at the same time that Curse. And at least I'd give some investment in SpD instead of Atk / SpA.

You could throw in Whirlpool and Perish Song in a set with Rest and Rain Dance to pseudo-Perish-Trap any Pokemon that isn't using Taunt. I've already used it with a lot of success, but that's also because the ladder is pure shit. Any thoughts on the set?

You could throw in Whirlpool and Perish Song in a set with Rest and Rain Dance to pseudo-Perish-Trap any Pokemon that isn't using Taunt. I've already used it with a lot of success, but that's also because the ladder is pure shit. Any thoughts on the set?
Lapras has always net me at least one kill in my NU team by Perish-Trapping. It is really a nice set that, for some reason, catches everyone by surprise. It is also a great Musharna counter.

Honestly Laprass is underrated, I've used a specially defensive Curse set in OU
before and it's totally awesome, save for it's weakness to Fighting and Rock. Hydration in mind, it is the only way Lapras can reliably gain HP. I don't really think Curse is great in NU, since it would require rain support to really work effectively. What I think would work is a special attacking set with max HP and Special Attack (Obviously). Lapras is unique in that it has Thunder(bolt), as well
as also having Hydro Pump to increase it's damage output. STAB Ice beam would also be useful for an offensive set. So in Summery, I think a Special attacking set is certainly a good idea, with unique options and would work well under rain, due to Hydration, boosted STAB, and Thunder. A little limitation of four move slots, though, this is all in theory. I think it's worthwhile I test it.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly Laprass is underrated, I've used a specially defensive Curse set in OU
before and it's totally awesome, save for it's weakness to Fighting and Rock. Hydration in mind, it is the only way Lapras can reliably gain HP. I don't really think Curse is great in NU, since it would require rain support to really work effectively. What I think would work is a special attacking set with max HP and Special Attack (Obviously). Lapras is unique in that it has Thunder(bolt), as well
as also having Hydro Pump to increase it's damage output. STAB Ice beam would also be useful for an offensive set. So in Summery, I think a Special attacking set is certainly a good idea, with unique options and would work well under rain, due to Hydration, boosted STAB, and Thunder. A little limitation of four move slots, though, this is all in theory. I think it's worthwhile I test it.
I agree, it's odd how I never see it as often as I should. I'd blame that partially due to no permanent rain, where Lapras truly shines in. I'm testing with it as well; a Choice Spec set was the first thing I wanted to try out, with it's variety of attacks. Let's see where it goes.

wait wait wait wait wait wait.........wait

Why a modest nature with Waterfall and Avalanche(two physical moves)
That just hurts you so much
Should probably fix the EVs, I'm assuming it was a special-based set before:p
Edit: Also Modest Nature. ;D

read the whole thing lad.

Something like this could work:
Lapras @ Lefties
EVs: 120 Atk / 252 HP / 136 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Waterfall
- Avalanche

But I'm not entirely sure that Lapras is worth the effort :(. There are simply better water and ice types out there, heck I'd say dewgong could even (somewhat) more useful. Not to mention Lapras is SR weak.. Also, dragon dance is generally better.

The problem is that even after DD boost, Lapras is pretty slow. Dewgong doesn't outclass it because Dewgong is pretty frail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)