SM OU Kartana Sweeper

Kartana is my favorite Pokemon of generation 7. I try to find a way to include it into most every team build.
This team in particular is focused on Kartana. It is built around eliminating/weakening scarf Kartana's counters and checks, allowing it to sweep late game. Usually if the opponent's team is built in such a way that it would be difficult for Kartana to sweep late game (multiple flying, grass, and fire types), DD Mega-Tyranitar can sweep late game instead.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Knock Off

The star and purpose of this team. Scarf Kartana is one of the best late game cleaners in the tier. Once its counters and checks are weakened, it can sweep with little trouble due to beast boost raising attack with each KO. Very few Pokemon in the tier can out speed this scarfer, adding to its sweeping capabilities. Its high speed and attack also allow it to act as a fantastic revenge killer early game, picking up easy KO's or forcing a switch, which is easily punished with a knock off when predicted. The move choices are very standard, and offer great coverage with good prediction. Watch out for a Zapdos running static, a Volcarona running flame body, or a Magnezone running magnet pull when attempting to revenge kill.

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Dragon dance Mega-Tyranitar acts as an excellent back up late game sweeper when Kartana will have a hard time. Its coverage moves compliment Kartana's, allowing it to KO most of the Pokemon Kartana struggles with. Stone edge for the flying types, ice punch for Landorus-T and grass types, and earthquake for Heatran, Mega-Charizard X, and other steel or fire types. There are notable exceptions that both Kartana and M-Tar struggle with, including Mega-Scizor, Celesteela, and sometimes Ferrothorn. In situations where Kartana will be able to sweep late game, M-Tar can also play a roll as a pivot early game, due to its excellent bulk and special defense boost under sand. Importantly, M-Tar resists fire, a very important resistance my team needs a lot of.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Sassy Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

AV Magearna plays an excellent roll as a bulky pivot on this team. It can switch into most special attackers in the tier with relative ease. Its slow volt switch allows me to sneak in Kartana for an extra hit or to force a switch early game when possible. HP fire is specifically for Mega-Scizor and Ferrothorn. Ice beam is almost exclusively for predicting Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp, all of which give Kartana trouble, and tend to try to switch into Magearna's volt switch. Fleur Cannon is a good STAB for a hard hit when unresisted, but will most likely not be used often.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- U-turn

Z-Fly Landorus-T helps glue this team together. As a stealth rocker, electric immunity, fighting resist, and z-crystal user, Lando's role compression is invaluable. Z-Fly is excellent for the grass types that Kartana needs weakened or KO'd to effectively sweep. U-turn forms an excellent volt/turn core with Magearna. Earthquake is a strong stab that allows Lando to hurt the fire types that Kartana needs weakened as well. Lando also provides another fire resist. That resistance, when coupled with intimidate, allows Lando to effectively check Mega-Charizard X, which this team can struggle with.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt

Tapu Fini is the ideal defogger for this team. Its resistances cover the fire and fighting types that Kartana can struggle against defensively. Defog is standard and we all know what that does. Moonblast is an excellent STAB when unresisted. Scald threatens fire types with good damage, and switch ins with a burn. Taunt prevents hazard setters from resetting hazards post defog. It also helps prevent Pokemon from setting up out of control. Tapu Fini combined with Magearna check Greneinja very effectively (aside from protean variants carrying both HP fire and gunk shot) which tends to threaten Kartana with it's priority water shuriken.

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Zapdos is a very important member of this team. It is the premiere counter to Celesteela and Mega-Scizor in the tier. Both of which are difficult for both of my sweepers to deal with. Zapdos also effectively checks Hawlucha. When the opponent has any of these Pokemon, Zapdos will be exclusively saved for them and nothing else, especially Hawlucha. I chose the three attack roost variant as the coverage is quite useful over defog for this team. Heatwave is excellent for Mega-Scizor and Ferrothorn. HP ice is good for the ground types that like to try to switch into a discharge. Discharge is good for Celesteela and spreading paralysis. Pressure is chosen over static, as PP stalling Celesteela's leech seed and Serperior's leaf storm is important.

All in all, I am very proud of this team. It's typing defensively is quite robust. Its goal of weakening or eliminating Kartana's counters is clear and effective. When Kartana can't sweep, DD Mega-Tyranitar almost always can.

Weaknesses:
Celesteela and Mega-Scizor can eat both of my sweepers lunch. Ferrothorn forces Kartana to click sacred sword over leaf blade, which is not ideal. Zapdos plays an important roll against these, but can't always get the job done, especially if the opponent also has a Hawlucha to pressure Zapdos.
Hawlucha can be an issue if Landorus-T and Zapdos get weakened.
Priority users could care less about how fast Scarf Kartana or a boosted M-Tar is, cutting off a sweep early.
Scarf users that are faster than Kartana. There aren't many, but they do exist, and usually OHKO Kartana if they have a special attack.

I have considered replacing Magearna with Choice Specs Magnezone. Or adding fire punch over earthquake to Mega-Tyranitar. Each of these would be specifically for the Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Mega-Scizor matchup. Each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Each would require other small changes to balance out coverage.

Last edited:
You could swap ice punch for fire Punch on t-tar to remove the Scizor weakness along with a better way to hot Ferro and Celesteela. I think this would be better because you can gets chip on Lando when it has to constantly switch in

Thank you for the input. I really like that idea.
The only issue I see is how this would affect the Garchomp and Gliscor matchup. Garchomp could be chipped throughout the game like Lando, but Gliscor could pose a serious problem to my team with its reliable recovery.
A possible answer would be to replace U-turn on my Landorus with HP Ice, but that's a tough call to make for just one Pokemon matchup, given how useful U-turn is.
Also replacing Tapu Fini's taunt with ice beam is an option. Yet again that sacrifices significant utility for basically one matchup.

Any ideas for a better solution to that matchup, or should I just leave the team as is (w/ fire punch on t-tar) and learn to play around a less common mon?

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Overall, I think Fini itself may discourage your Ground-types from switching in due to its Water-typing. Moonblast 2HKOes Garchomp and it’s Mega, and has a 97.3% chance to 2HKO Gliscor (I cant copy the calcs don’t ask me why) whereas I can’t seem to find a calc where they single-handedly 2HKO/OHKO it without boosts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)