Le Don

La Déchéance d'un homme
is a Community Contributor
RoAPL Champion
Thread approved by Emeral :heart:

Jirachee's DPP OU Invitational - Team & Set Dump Thread

el_logo.png
Insane art made by Brumirage

Hello DPP enjoyers ! Maybe you're already on the server or maybe you missed it but Jirachee's DPP OU Invitational with 32 great DPP players is soon close to an end : the last BO3 between our two finalists, Pideous and BKC, is tomorrow ( Tuesday 27th ) at 3pm GMT +2 !
The link to the ( click ! ) Jirachee's DPP OU Invitational Discord .

If you want more details about the tournament go check this thread made by Hiro' :
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/jirachees-dpp-invitational-teams-replays-and-usage-statistics.3720261

I invite players / spectators if they have anything to say / post to do it here ! I will post my teams later as I promised ( today or tomorrow ).
:sphearical:

Last edited:

Le Don

La Déchéance d'un homme
is a Community Contributor
RoAPL Champion
That was an insane experience. I will never thank enough Jirachee for his invitation, crayon pop and Kristyl for the moral support and for the confidence boost they gave me since 2022, Emeral for being an incredible player ( I learnt a lot from you during 2022 FCL ) and the nicest user on this site and Student of Sinnoh for being my discussion / teambuilding partner since early 2021. And ofc to all my supporters / fans ( anyone who cheered me on the discord server or in my dms, Conf des rats, McMegang, Pampu Gang etc ) THANK YOU !
These big tournaments are always hard and stressful for a player like me who doesn't have experience on the " big scene " ( SPL for ex ). After ending undrafted last SPL, this tour was the perfect occasion to win everything but also to lose ... everything. In my head I was like " If I lose early I can say goodbye to the next SPL, I have to go deep as much as I can and win with style if possible ". You can already feel some pressure in the air. I was pretty much on my own and I wanted to bring my own teams as much as possible, I wanted to test my limits.
That being said, let's get into my teams !

R1 vs M Dragon :

:breloom: :gyarados: :empoleon: :jirachi: :machamp: :latias: ----- Replay ( W )

A paraspam that I originally built in early 2023 to beat The Sprinkler aka paraspam and stall enjoyer. I used Stone Edge on Breloom to have a better Zapdos and Gyarados MU but Stun Spore is probably better overall. Double-Edge to destroy Starmie and Lati but you can go for Return. Shuca Empoleon as MixGon glue and rocker. Refresh Jirachi to have the best MU possible into paraspam and WishTect Jirachi. Sub Machamp as para abuser and Scarf Lati because its utility is too good and to have less pressure on Gyarados vs Infernape. Classic stuff.

:gliscor: :scizor: :latias: :breloom: :kingdra: :magneton: ----- Replay ( L )

I love this team, one of my favorite. U-Turn abuse into double setups aka SD Jolly Breloom and Sub DD Kingdra. Double U-Turn to keep the momentum and trap easily Skarmory with Magneton. Scizor in order to trap bulky Lati, important for Breloom and to be less being force to Outrage with Kingdra. Latias with HWish for the speed control. Jolly SD Breloom with trapper can drop Seed Bomb and go for Facade + Superpower to destroy a lot of stall teams ( set from twash ). Sub DD Kingdra spread => 252 Atk Jirachi Ice Punch vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 72-84 (21.3 - 24.9%) => para it with Magneton then free Sub and DD. Magneton as trapper and HO controler. Just don't face offensive Zapdos and you're good :skull:

:hippowdon: :skarmory: :gliscor: :jirachi: :latias: :clefable: ----- Replay ( L )

Iirc, I wanted to build around CM Clefable, I ended with this 6 but I realised later that I already had this 6 in my builder with almost the same techs and spreads ... kek. Anyway, CM Clefable is particular. You need another Knock absorber and Knock user, another special wall and Spikes to beat Steel types and Breloom. I'm the biggest fan of Hippo because it's so damn bulky so it walls everything; I used Ice Fang but honestly Roar is just better here. SpD Skarm with Payback to smash Gengar and Starmie. Taunt Gliscor as Knock absorber, Knock user and fat / stall killer. Jirachi as Spikes abuser; Psychic to kill Breloom, Infernape and Gengar. Latias to wall Breloom, to Twave things like Heatran / Jirachi for Clef and Roar for things like Suicune / CM Jirachi. CM Clef is supposed to win at the end.

R2 vs ABR :

:skarmory: :rotom-wash: :suicune: :scizor: :jirachi: :azelf: ----- Replay ( W )

Don't ask me why I loaded that, I just wanted to LMAO. Some will probably recognize the 6 because I already posted it here . I was already before the tour a big big fan of Spikes HO so I explored the structure and I realised that I can use almost anything offensive with it because Spikes are broken as f. Icy Wind Skarm is supposed to Icy Wind T1 Azelf / Aero lead : if Azelf went for rocks = free rocks for you, if taunted or if Aero you have to go on Specs Wash and click the right move. I'm supposed to be a Specs Wash hater but it's very good in Spikes HO and it pressures very well Tyranitar and Heatran; HO destroyer btw. Modest Suicune to 2HKO Clef and bulky Lati with Hydro Pump / Ice Beam. CB Scizor to trap Lati and to revenge kill DD Tyranitar and DD Dragonite ( less pressure on Suicune ). Lum Jirachi to not be in " PLS " vs opp's Jirachi and WoW Gengar and thx to Lum Berry it can be a good Scarf Magneton / Magnezone lure; HWish to heal Suicune and you can use Twave > Body Slam if you want ( Jirachi can also be Scarf with Iron Head, Ice Punch, U-Turn and HWish, 120 240 148+ ). EBelt Azelf is excellent with Specs Wash, once TTar / Heatran / Lati are weakened, Azelf can go brrr brrr and it can trade with Explosion so Lati / Clef aren't very safe vs it ( read the post I linked to have better explainations ).

:jirachi: :clefable: :zapdos: :starmie: :hippowdon: :rhyperior: ----- Replay ( W )

Fat paraspam with again a Hippodown but this time max defense. I honestly don't have a lot to say about it because it's very standard and it's not really mine, I had the 6 in my builder and I changed spreads and movesets but I wanted to show it because there is a CB Rhyperior ( also because I was unable to build a good CB Rhyp team ). I wanted a team that is super safe vs HO and also super safe vs stall and imo that was the best pick possible. Zap Rachi Mie and Hippo are perfect vs HO and CB Rhyp x Heal Bell Clef are insane vs stall. Just para everything and then start spamming Rock Slide. If you have to trade to make progress, just click Rock Wrecker and claim something.

R3 vs Excal :

:skarmory: :latias: :mismagius: :suicune: :scizor: :gliscor: ----- Replay ( L )

Another Skarmory lead HO but this time with a NP Mismagius. When I faced Excal I was like " ok he's gonna load weird stuff so I will do the same and we will see who's the best heatman ". CM LO Lati is a monster that can break anything. Mismagius is great because it's bulkier than Gengar so better into Starmie and it has Nasty Plot. Its set is prob not the best, you can try Lum Berry > Leftovers, Sub, Thunderbolt and Taunt. Suicune aka the frenchmon to have a good answer to DDers. Scizor SD Pursuit to remove Lati and to have a DD Tar revenge killer. I love Sky Attack Gliscor, you destroy any Gliscor check and then you just spam Earthquake + Ice Fang / Stone Edge.

:rotom-wash: :hippowdon: :tyranitar: :skarmory: :clefable: :latias: ----- Replay ( W )

The full stall, wincond less. I used Rotom lead to not get fucked by Azelf ( and Cloyster too lmao ). Hippowdon as always with Scarf TTar to trap Latias, Gengar and Rotom, preventing them to be annoying ( Trick, Taunt, WoW, Sub etc ); I used TWave on it because it's a great move and I had a free slot since Hippo is my rocker and since I don't lead with it. Counter Skarmory because DD Dragonite can be annoying. Encore Clefable, the best Clefable set on stall teams, to beat any setup; you won't get 1vX by a last like SD Scizor which can be very difficult to take down when you cannot phaze it. BoltBeam Lati for Gyarados and Gliscor.

:latias: :metagross: :heatran: :suicune: :empoleon: :flygon: ----- Replay ( W )

Special offense but without a ghost ? Yes it is possible. Specs Latias to destroy Skarmory turn 1 with Thunderbolt and to drop Draco-Meteors; HWish can be crucial vs Stall teams. Custap Thunder Punch Metagross to be sure I keep rocks up vs Cloyster and Starmie; you're also not forced to explode on Gyarados, you can just TPunch it. With Metagross as rocker, I can run Heatran with Endure and Custap to reverse or to reset the momentum; it is important vs pokemons like Gengar / Infernape. Modest Suicune again but with this time HP Grass to destroy Swampert and Quagsire for Empoleon; I don't need HP Elec since I have TBolt Lati and TPunch Gross ( you can run Timid if you want to outspeed Adamant Lucario ). Scarf Flygon to have a good DD Tar answer and an electric immu.

R4 vs zf :

:jirachi: :hippowdon: :clefable: :flygon: :magnezone: :latias: ----- Replay ( L )

TWave is an incredible move but what about Toxic ? I already talked about Substitute Protect Flygon a long time ago. The team I made with it at this time was ok but not insane so I tried to build another one and I ended with this. Toxic Jirachi is perfect to lure water / ground types for Flygon. Toxic Hippowdon with Magnezone support is very good, perfect Gliscor / Hippo / water types lure; and with Toxic you can 1v1 defensive Starmie ( EVed to take two Surf from full with Leftovers ). Protect Clefable since I don't have a great Specs Latias switch in; Knock off x Toxic is very oppressive. The masterpiece, SubTect Flygon, supposed to 1v1 RestTalk TBolt Rotom, to destroy FWG TSpikes teams and offense aswell thx to Sub and Protect. HP Ground Toxic Magnezone for Skarm and EQ less Bronzong; I didn't use Magneton because I believed bulk was important for Latias. And another BoltBeam Latias for the same reasons aka Gyara and Scor; Fast lati because Clef isn't Encore so I wanted to be safe vs SuperRachi without being forced to trade Magnezone.

:uxie: :tyranitar: :donphan: :jirachi: :gyarados: :latias: ----- Replay ( W )

A team I used for DPPPL and I absolutly love it ( thx Kristyl and father Osgoat for the movesets advices ). Scarf Uxie to trick bulky Jirachi / Hippo right on turn 1 for your CB TTar in the back; faster than Aero lead btw ( don't Trick it just go for rocks ). Imo you don't need bulk on CB Tar because it's not a good Specs Latias switch in and you need speed EVs for slow WoW Rotom variants aka RestTalk; the speed is also useful vs some Brelooms. Donphan is a good spinner especially with Tyranitar support to remove Gengar and to have sand for Breloom; Knock Off can be surprising with Double Trick but trust me : once something like Hippowdon has been tricked, it's never coming on Donphan ( see my DPPPL game vs Vileman here ); Ice Shard for Gliscor, Flygon and Dragonite. Grass Knot Jirachi for waters. Sub DD Gyara as para abuser and wincond, insane pokemon vs balance / fat teams. And Scarf Lati again because utility, HWish etc.

:empoleon: :tyranitar: :dragonite: :lucario: :metagross: :latias: ----- Replay ( W )

A team originally used by Star for 2022 DPP Cup finals vs McMeghan. I stole the team and made a few changes like Knock Off on Empoleon which has great synergies with both Lucario and Metagross. Custap Mixed Tar to lure a lot of things for our steel types. Same for MixNite ( priority is nice too ). SD Lucario is not very good atm but it looked great into zf teams especially with Bullet Punch. Agility Metagross is a powerful sweeper that I think too much people are sleeping on ( same as Agility Empoleon ); Meteor Mash raises are terrifying and its bulk is absurd. Scarf Lati again ...
The team is slow overall and seems weak vs offensive variants of Jirachi. Maybe Lum Physical Jirachi > Lucario but not sure. Anyway it's hard to fix " outdated " teams without changing almost everything. The team did the job anyway so that's fine !

R5 vs M Dragon :

:latias: :skarmory: :metagross: :lucario: :flygon: :rotom-heat: ----- Replay ( L )

Another one but this time Skarmory is in the back ! Latias lead faster than Heatran lead because we have Surf. Lum Berry fast Skarm is very good in practice but it's very hard to make very solid team with it I think; definitly unexplored. Iron Ball Metagross because Latias and Skarmory are annoying but maybe another set can be better like 4 Atks. Lucario is Agility but it can also be SD Bullet Punch, both are good. MixGon can be Outrage but Roost is usually more consistent ( Flamethrower >>> Fire Blast ). Scarf Rotom-Heat because of Agility Metagross and spinners. This team was in 3-0 for DPP Winter SSNL.

:machamp: :scizor: :heatran: :gengar: :gyarados: :latias: ----- Replay ( W )

A team I built for the frenchman and my former DPP tutee h4g and I ended up by using it for this tour. This is very standard but cool and simple to use; very straightfoward. I will always prefer Lum Berry > Focus Sash on Machamp lead because it is very important to have this safety vs WoW users aka Rotom and Gengar. Scizor traps Latias and revenge kills DD Tar as always. Passho Tran with HP Grass for Starmie, Quagsire, Swampert ... Destiny Bond on Gengar to help against things like (Super)Jirachi / Suicune. DD Gyara with Return because I wasn't confident vs Breloom but Ice Fang or Stone Edge is probably better for Zapdos and opposite Gyarados. Say hello to Scarf Lati again for the same reasons.

:azelf: :magnezone: :metagross: :gengar: :gliscor: :gyarados: ----- Replay ( W )

I wanted to use a Magnezone HO but since I lost twice to Magneton triple steel teams I was super super scared BUT I think I found a good way to fix this MU. Classic Azelf lead with Colbur to TWave T1 Scarf TTar into rocks helping Gengar. Magnezone has HP Grass for Swampert, Explosion x max speed for Breloom and Shuca Berry x TWave for Scarf Magneton / Magnezone; it's also useful for rdm EQs and HP Ground Jirachi lol. Jolly Metagross to outspeed Jolly Scarf Flygon ( M Dragon counter team LOL ); go for Adamant and change Ice Punch for another move if you want. Taunt Gengar to beat Hippowdon and prevent any setup since this team doesn't have a scarfer. Sky Attack Gliscor again, goes crazy when Skarmory down. And Outrage Stone Edge Gyarados to beat Lati, Zapdos and opposite Gyarados, freeing space for Gliscor and Metagross; Lum because we have Gliscor so I don't value Wacan Berry here.

R6 vs Laurel :

:jirachi: :magnezone: :bronzong: :clefable: :latias: :celebi: ----- Replay ( L )

G1 team is not mine, so I won't link it ... I had the choice between two Magnezone balance teams, this one with SD Celebi ( yes LOL ) and another team with CM Clefable. I prefered the first one but alas I faced Forretress with a team that had HP Ground Zone; the other one had HP Fire Zone ... kek.

:froslass: :latias: :jirachi: :swampert: :gengar: :heatran: ----- Replay ( W )

This is an edit of a team made by zf. This team had Roserade lead but had big big problems against Scarf Tyranitar so I replaced Rose by Colbur TWave Froslass ( same idea as the Azelf Mag Gengar team and also because I wanted to use it ); it's not perfect but it helps for sure. The Latias remains the same because I think it's a great set and a great Clefable / Heatran / Tyranitar lure. Jirachi is now Shuca Berry because HO mu was hard and now is totally manageable. So now fast Swampert is the rocker and can catch Breloom with Ice Beam. When I have Swampert x Gengar in a weatherless, I like to use Taunt Lum Berry on Gengar to have one of the best answers to Breloom. Heatran remains the Gengar switch-in, revenge killer and cleaner. All the credit goes to zf for having such good inspiration, I just adapted the team to my liking.

:hippowdon: :skarmory: :breloom: :magneton: :clefable: :latias: ----- Replay ( W )

Toxic spam the return ! Toxic Hippo is back and it helps a lot against stallbreaker Gliscor. Payback Skarmory, still with the same targets; you can use Brave Bird and also lead with it to be stronger into Machamp lead. I love defensive Breloom : great typing and utility but I used it with Toxic and it is ... bad; the reason of why Breloom is strong is Spore. I experimented a lot Toxic Breloom and it is imo nothing more than a stall MU fish ( because it's an excellent Latias lure ); I would consider here Spore or Seed Bomb to help vs RestTalk Rotom and Starmie ( especially with Brave Bird on Skarm ). Magneton is also back because the HO matchup needed to be fix and this team needs to trap Skarmory asap to limit Spikes on my side for Breloom. Clefable is Clefable and Latias Calm Mind with HP Fire to beat Scizor and also because it's very good paired with Spikes and Magneton.

R7 vs Tricking :

:azelf: :heatran: :breloom: :jirachi: :gyarados: :rotom-wash: ----- Replay ( W )

G1 team is not mine, it's DeepBlueC SPL Week 5 team. Iirc I changed 1/2 spreads but I didn't touch to the movesets. I wanted to use SubPunch Loom since week 5 but the few teams I made with it never convinced me so I just picked something I trusted and liked. Great team ( go read DBC's post here for more details ).

:cloyster: :heatran: :celebi: :gyarados: :scizor: :rotom-heat: ----- Replay ( L )

Inspired by Excal, Sakito and Kristyl, this is my take on Cloyster offense. TSpikes with Sub DD Gyara and NP Celebi are great because now you can break through Quagsire and Blissey; Closyter takes two Seismic Toss after Rocks ( without Sand ) and outspeeds Modest Heatran. Passho Heatran with HP Grass ( but another move is probably better since we have TSpikes ); Magma Storm to trap Clefable. NP Celebi with CB Scizor can do insane things once Latias is down; the moveset if maybe not ideal though. Gyarados Sub DD as TSpikes abuser. CB Zor again for DD TTar etc and Scarf Rotom-Heat for speed control, anti-spin etc. Fun team.

:skarmory: :rotom-wash: :flygon: :suicune: :mismagius: :scizor: ----- Replay ( L )

The worst team of the post ( I'm not even joking ). I lacked of time during R6 and R7 so I ended by using this bad team. This team has good ideas but isn't fixed : it doesn't have a good Breloom answer soooooo it's very problematic especially in a weatherless. The first pokemons are standard so we will focus on the Mismagius and the Scizor. Salac Mismagius is a crazy idea I had, it's very scary once at +2 in SpA and at +1 in Speed since nothing can revenge kill it except Scizor / Lucario BPunch and Scarf Latias ( that can be trapped with Scizor ); but it's prob better in another structure like a Mag offense so you're not force to run TBolt to beat Skarmory. Scizor is Scarf because I needed a trapper and DD TTar revenge killer BUT I didn't want sand because of the Mismagius' set; Bug Bite is a good option to not be forced to U-Turn vs targets like Jirachi / bulky Starmie. My genius has limits ...

Even if my ending is a bit disappoiting mostly because my R6-R7 availabilities were very rough for me so I couldn't build everything I wanted to ( and I also didn't want to recycle ), I'm proud of my run. I lost R1 and I managed to do a great loser run and to be the best french player of the tour. If someone had told me before the tour that I would be using 36 unique pokemons I'd never have believed this person. I've pushed back my limits and I had a loooooot of fun and that's the most important.

If you have any question feel free to dm me by discord ( le_don_pokemon ). I prob forgot words and made mistakes here and there but I need to sleep.
Stay tuned because I will upload videos about my run?

Le Don.png

Last edited:

Pideous

World Defender
I don't know what to say, so I'll just say thanks to jirachee for making this happen, thanks to all the generous donors, and thanks to all my friends who supported and believed in me. I definitely got a lot of luck to get this far, but I'm still really happy and proud of this result.
As far as team building goes, I went into week 1 thinking I would mostly use stuff I had already built but I ended up making a lot of new teams to use as the tournament went on. It's still all loom tran and stall with some magnezone thrown in lol. Lots of starmie, one thing I think is neat is that I ended up using an equal number of skarmory, metagross, bronzong and jirachi. I'll maybe talk more about specific teams and games on BIG WILLs youtube for anyone interested in my perspective, but for anyone who isn't, here's a team dump with minimal fluff :)
JDI Teams

i will keep it semi short. thanks jirachee for inviting me, huge thanks to sinnoh/mael for all the discussion help & tests, and also thanks to sfg/kristyl/emeral (+ others i might have forgotten) for helping me throughout the tournament. also congrats to pideous bkc & kristyl for making $$

mixed feelings on my performance in the tour, i had some pretty good games i think but also slipped up a lot when i lost focus which for whatever reason still happened multiple times. esp that g2 vs sw i still feel p shit about. but also, i am still quite happy with my good showings and top 16 in such a stacked pool like this is still a nice result.

i'll only post the teams i made myself (used a lot of sinnoh's team cause those are good) + i still think are good (not that stinker celebi team i loaded vs kristyl)

:azelf: :raikou: :scizor: :gliscor: :gyarados: :tyranitar:
https://pokepast.es/0a514e05da389d1f

this one is kind of a normal ho but with a lot of stuff that i based on mael. ofc we knew each other very well but we also knew of each other that we knew each other well, so two levels up makes it kinda complicated. the one thing i knew for sure is i was gonna see stall, hence the strange gliscor set, but it ended up working well. last coverage move isnt even that useful anwyay. i also used raikou because it's cool and it is great vs ttar as elec check teams. also i think i can afford rash kou + adamant ttar because i did never expect to see gengar.

:uxie: :magneton: :donphan: :jirachi: :machamp: :gyarados:
https://pokepast.es/7ee75bb2ffd22cb1

i can't fully take credit for this team cause i realized after i built it that kristyl had the same team r1 w cele > uxie. but it is really nice to play with albeit that it has a few flaws. i rly liked all the uxies, donphans and mags in r1 so wanted to try all of them so figured i just stick it in 1 team to see if it works. and made sense for me to put in a paraspam team like this. might have changed some things since then to fix some issues.

:empoleon: :tyranitar: :starmie: :machamp: :latias: :jirachi:
https://pokepast.es/a12a680a7a8fc40f

specs emp is a really cool set and mael kicked my ass with it r1 too. so i wanted to use it. would have been insane in my mu if i didnt sac it for no reason but hwished it instead. cb tar made sense w it to me, so did machamp, as well as a second water (mie in this case). straightforward building leads you to another para inspired offense team.

:flygon: :rotom-wash: :skarmory: :jirachi: :clefable: :latias:
https://pokepast.es/399af3a80b1cc64d

i got a lot of inspiration from sinnoh for this team. to prep for twash is really strange because his teams are so out there but he still makes it work somehow. obviously you can usually expect him to play offense though, so i figured i just load something that is good vs offense (this) g1. scarf flygon on stall makes it much easier to pivot around offense. except weavile of course.

:zapdos: :breloom: :jirachi: :swampert: :magneton: :starmie:
https://pokepast.es/1269eb667e21a491

i loaded this vs twash but i actually built it as my paraspam option for r1 - however i didnt like that it was a bit weak vs stall. so i figured it made sense to use vs twash. basically it just goes close to all in on breloom win con (or at least killing a few and win with the rest). para everything, sd up and kill shit. kind of how it felt some turns in the game, sd loom was rly good in the game, but twash played rly well and it was hard to get it to do enough so the game ended up being rly close. definitely most intense game i played all tour.

Hi everyone, I hadn't originally planned to write all this, but after reviewing my games/teams I figured I had some interesting things to say and decided to cover it all with post. I hope these resources can help inspire you.

Round 1, against Malekith

1692276219979.png1692276230231.png1692276242164.png1692276313246.png1692276324797.png1692276358423.png

I felt really lucky to face Malekith, a player I respect a lot. But I knew it would be a big challenge for me. I didn't really scout him, but I knew that historically, he's always preferred to play offensive teams, so I focused more on being good against common offensive mons/cores than stall. I started with the Swampert/Skarmory core. Both have very good defensive synergy. I added latias, which provides good balance against threats like heatran/Gengar/zapdos/breloom, etc., and so I wanted to run cm, the team's wincond, since swampert/skarm are very solid against his checks (steels in general, tyranitar, latias...) and hazards help a lot. I've added Gengar, which provides an anti-fight/ground measure, pressures jirachi and Clefable, which is much appreciated in this core. Spikes abuser etc. I run lum mainly for spore breloom, but it also helps against thunder wave starmie/latias/jirachi/zapdos, random burn/freez... With these 4 I thought I needed a scarfer and magneton came to mind, making the team even more consistent against HO, and also allows you to check SD Lucario which is a threat to the core with the right setup. For the last slot I thought I needed another steel, mainly to check latias, and scizor seemed a natural for me as it takes advantage of magneton's support (trap skarmory) and allows me to trap latias and restalk rotom.

1692277099134.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 12 Spe
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Toxic is nice now that donphan has become popular. Not bad against offense since iIt targets mons like swampert/suicune/Gyarados. It's also nice against stall as you can toxic mons like gliscor/zapdos.latias/quagsire/hippowledon... And to end up, the surprise factor is nice aswell.

1692277058829.png

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Safeguard
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

Since the team is a little weak against clefable, thanks to safeguard you're able to win the 1v1 against thunder wave version and it's not that bad against encore version because you can just pp stall it. It also helps against Jirachi, restalk rotom, and twave/toxic users in general. Definitely a move I like a lot.

1692277035803.png

Scizor @ Lum Berry (No superpower)
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Atk / 4 Def / 24 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Pursuit
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Lum zor is fantastic against wishtect jirachi, machamp, breloom, restalk rotom, wisp gengar, paras in general. I really like this mon but unfortunately it's hard to build around. Also removing superpower sounds crazy, but hey you have magneton support to trap empoleon/heatran/Mags/Lucario/Skarmory and others. Bug bite is just way better than superpower against mons such as reflect latias/swampert/metagross/Flygon/wishtect Jirachi, etc. And I really needed pursuit, otherwise gengar/latias would be too threatening

1692277011652.png

ForteDosReisMagos (Magneton) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 244 SpA / 12 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Sunny Day
- Thunder Wave

I came to sunny day mainly for the MU stall. If you're facing a stall with Tyranitar scarf, there's a good chance you'll manage to kill it with spikes in early/midgame (about hippo, you can toxic it), and then you can remove the sand with magneton. Clefable will have a hard time to check latias/gengar, and you can turn the situation to your advantage.

The team's weakness is that you're sometimes forced to use latias early to deal with threats such as Specs starmie/Breloom/Empoleon, but this makes you vulnerable to Tyranitar entries and losing latias early in the game is not a good start. Dealing with clefable can be painful in the long run. Beside from that I think it's decent.

Review of my first game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-690421

The game starts, I see azelf lead and I am like "ok, it's offense, potentially HO or a bulky offense with mons such as tranloom/rotom/rachi, etc etc, I should have a correct MU". I decide to use waterfall T1 in the obvious taunt, in order to scout his set. It's a bulky set so I figure gengar is my best play because it's faster and kills azelf, so I'm switching to it. He sends Jirachi. I get a spdef drop and i make a very questionable play. I see a jirachi without leftovers that switches to gengar. Generally jirachi without leftovers are either mixed 4 att's with lum berry, or superachi with shuca berry. I tell myself that I don't want to switch to swampert on psychic because it hurts lol, and I want to keep it healthy to handle other threats. So at that moment I say to myself: either he uses pshycic or he double switch, so I send magneton and he reveals thunder wave jirachi and I am like "holyyyy shit. For me thunder wave on jirachi without leftovers is rare, especially since I could have gone to swampert and it would have been too free for me. I don't know, it was a weird turn. Anyway I lose my main anti HO tech so I will have to keep the hp of skarmory and swampert well. I immediately go to swampert to get my rocks up to put pressure on gyarados and dragonite which are natural in this kind of team. He sends gyarados, as expected, which is a threat to the team now. I have no choice so I immediately send skarmory. I manage to burn it with gengar and I immediately pivot on skarmory to add one spike. And at that moment I am like: ok, skarmory and swampert are full, I have the hazards, I am in a good position. He sends tyranitar as a skarm answer… ok, if that's his answer to skarm it looks threatening to his offensive core so I'm going to keep it healthy.

Going on swampert was therefore my play to pivot on a possible fire blast/band stone edge, and at worst if he anticipates that and uses crunch I can still punish with earthquake (helps latias) or double on skarmory. Until he revealed natural gift, I wasn't expecting it at all. In fact it was extremely well done on his part because I guess he anticipated me going on swampert to kill me then. At this point of the game I felt bad because I lost skarmory/swampert/magneton, my 3 good anti offense measures. Anyway, I then get an opportunity to setup my latias on donphan but I don't feel too comfortable since he managed to spin with donphan. He then sends jirachi and I immediately use safeguard on thunder wave but it's a jirachi with ice punch, which was the worst case scenario for me. I managed to weaken it and I tell myself that everything will be played on Scizor. I send magneton instead of gengar to be able to paralyze it (and also because I remember being afraid of custap jirachi when I played this game lol) then setup with scizor and finish the game. That was basically my gameplan. Then i realise that i have a very little luck to win because jirachi has a good chance of killing me with fire punch and dnite has surely extreme speed. So I finally changed my gameplan, which was to try play on choke, by forcking Malekith to send donphan to rk gengar with ice shard, and then I'll have a good chance of finishing the game with scizor. Unfortunately malekith just plays really well and doesn't fall into my trap. He sends dragonite and I figure my only chance at that point was to pray he didn't have the lum berry on WoW, but he obviously had it and that's how the game end up

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1692278237492.png1692278249517.png1692278265178.png1692278281141.png1692278293682.png1692278307625.png

Classic HO. I started with Metagross/Gyarados/Tyranitar core, one of the most influential offensive cores in DPP OU. I coupled Specs Latias to help against waters mainly, gengar for his defensive role, check to breloom/physical Jirachi, etc. For the last slot I needed a second steel, a check at SD Lucario and magneton was the best fit for me, allowing me to run healing wish latias instead of thunderbolt/ and leftovers rocks metagross without being too skarmory weak. And in general the Latias/Metagross/Gyarados/Tyranitar core doesn't really like skarmory so the trap benefits the whole team. In any case, I think this team is correct in general, but a bit weak at Agility Metagross and Mix Jirachi end game. You will have to play smart around them.

1692279066840.png

Tyranitar @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 32 HP / 188 Atk / 36 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Natural Gift

Not really from me but I like the way how it's able to bait swampert/quagsire, which helps the team a lot. Decent coverage overall. The EVs is to live mach punch Breloom after rocks if I remember correctly.

Review of my second game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-690449

Gliscor lead against latias specs, I know that Draco meteor is my play (rather than surf) because it hurts more Clefable, jirachi and steels in general. Unfortunately I had a miss on a tyranitar switch then a lucky crit. In the scenario where I didn't miss draco meteor, the game would have been very different because he could have used pursuit on a turn where I was switching, as he could have used crunch on a turn where I was switching (a 50/50 basically), then the game would have continued its course in a different way. I don't know how much the crit mattered, but it definitely put me in a comfortable position. He then sends empoleon and I didn't really know what to do. I thought of sending gyarados, but on this version he had no earthquake and I thought that metagross could come and threaten it with EQ, and in this case I get the rocks up. Unfortunately it reveals specs empoleon so I am forced to send latias. I decide to dm on an obvious switch out (and in case he stayed I could still punish with mag). I managed to find a way to setup with tyranitar but then I made a mistake. This tyranitar doesn't have so he can't kill empoleon, sure, but malekith doesn't know my set he can't afford to take such a risk imo, so sending latias was natural and i should have predicted that. From this moment I was a bit tilted and I think it can be seen that I really didn't feel confident during this game, I felt like I was behind all along. Turn 11 was weird to me, can't remember why I used thunderbolt, but I believe my reasoning was that Thunder Wave/HP Ice were the most likely moves, and therefore u-turn jirachi covered both options, so he would have sent it. Also, I said to myself that he doesn't want to let para his latias, otherwise DD Tyranitar and my last, were going to be threatening. He decides to stay and I'm like "ok fuck, it's over". I then start clicking without really thinking, trying to setup tyranitar against the gliscor for no reason, literally if he had EQ that turn I think I would have just lost the game. Anyway, I managed to kill the latias and figured gyarados can just clean up with the right stance. I managed to handle mixgon and that's how I won.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1692279124794.png1692279100522.png1692279079529.png1692279148831.png1692279194945.png1692279222755.png
1692623835924.png1692623843550.png1692623848599.png1692623852778.png1692623856783.png1692623861650.png

For G3 I decided to play a solid bully offense with tools against offensive teams, without being too weak to stall. I started with Suicune, excellent lead. With the lum berry it allows to put pressure on the defensive teams, because wishtect jirachi will need a lot of luck to win the 1v1, latias and clefable can't paralyze you. Basically, in most cases, you make a sacrifice early game, and very often on Clefable / Latias which helps your teammates a lot. I coupled it with heatran in order to switch on mons such as Latias/Elecs, and immediately put the rocks up. It's able to boom on Clefable/Latias, helping suicune, and in return, Suicune can switch on certain tran checks such as waters/grounds etc. I added Specs Latias to the core, it synergizes very well with them thanks to its defensive role (fight/elec/ground/grass etc resists) and allows to lure and weakensteels, in which heatran can take advantage on them. Weakening tyranitar also helps rotom and heatran to break. Rotom for the second elec resist, scarf which takes advantage of core support, and check SD Lucario. I needed a second steel that was bulky, that could handle jirachi and DD Tyranitar, and without giving skarmory too much freedom: iron ball metagross was the best choice here. And finally I wanted a wincond, an endgame breaker, an anti-stall measure, lucario came to mind.

(EDIT : I though about this lucario team, and i'm pretty sure Machamp is also a viable option on this team, so here are two versions of the team)

1692279427147.png

Lucario @ Life Orb (No extreme speed)
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

The reason of this set is that I really wanted bullet punch for DD Tyranitar and Gengar, which are both threatening to the team. But at the same time I wanted another coverage against defensive teams otherwise I would struggle to break mons such as zapdos/latias/gliscor. So why not play both?

Review of my third game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-690467

After this win I told myself that I had made too many mistakes and that I absolutely had to win this third game. Seeing Malekith para Latias and Heatran, I was expecting a paraspam and had to play well around Jirachi and Machamp, which are the two biggest threats in this type of team. Anyway, Malekith missed ice fang on my latias, which at first glance seems lucky, but when I think about it, the miss didn't benefit me that much because it allowed him to have a free sub with mychamp, something he might not have tried if my latias was weakened. Anyway, after my latias was paralyzed and confused, I knew he was going to use substitute this turn, so I immediately sent suicune to threaten him. Then I tell myself that if I'm confused that turn (turn 13), I have a good chance of losing my suicune so early in the game when he hasn't accomplished much, so I would be in a really bad position. So I decide to pivot to rotom on the obvious dpunch, and then I know he was going to use payback (because I could have used trick/thunderbolt etc.) so I immediately sent lucario which was able OHKO with Close Combat. I thought that in this structure there is probably no gengar, or even rotom because scarf latias is usually the superior choice thanks to healing wish, which is very appreciated on parspam. So I tell myself that in any case, I will cause damage. After he uxie sacks and sends jirachee, I figure he doesn't want to throw fire punch on a obvious heatran switch in, so he'll probably double switch to mychamp. I strongly hesitated to CC again this turn, but a little too early to take such a risk. I send suicune that covers both Jirachi and a machamp switch in. After weakening the machamp I knew that his team does not like to switch on Lucario at all so I send it again to ensure damage. He sends scarf Latias and I know he knows he's in extreme speed range, so I figure he'll probably pivot on Jirachi next turn. So I'm doing a risky (but worth it imo) play of CC again. He actually used healing wish, a little surprised by this play but in any case it helps me a lot. On turn 20 I send metagross instead of heatran, I don't know if it was the right play, but I was really afraid of the machamp and I didn't want to give him a free turn. Dragonite is revealed later, and since this lucario doesn't have extreme speed he can't even kill jirachi, so I had to keep this rotom. I am therefore forced to take the risk of sending para metagross + take the risk that dnite isn't yache (unlikely imo). Fortunately it was not the case and rotom just ended up the game. crazy series, ggs.

Round 2, against Oiponabys

1692280675911.png1692280690077.png1692280714824.png1692280737752.png1692280754609.png1692280798810.png

Facing my friend Oipon wasn't fun to me because he knows me very well, what I like to play etc. I had no idea how I was going to approach the prep, but I wanted to play a track that I usually don't play. Mix Flygon came to mind, a weird mon that was highly overrated, but is now forgotten while still good imo. Anyway, I started the core with Flygon/Empoleon. The idea is that empoleon is a steel that can witch on Flygon checks, such as Suicune/Latias/Gengar, scarfers in general. Empoleon can also knock clefable, so Clefable can no longer a switch to mixgon so you can use it as your stall breaker (also, I decided to play +Spa because there are already a lot of anti- jirachi). So I started with that core. I then added SpDef SKarmory as a second steel, check to Specs Latias. It synergizes very well with roar empoleon, and Clefable/Flygon are two of the biggest abusing spikes in the tier. Since the core was too passive against defensive starmie, I added resttalk rotom to prevent it from spinning for free, plus it's a good anti-fight/ground measure, sleep absorber etc.

1692280983824.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Cosmic Power
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

This set is eveil, I honestly hesitated to share it. Originally I had protect instead of cosmic power (which is a cool set too), but cosmic power seemed better to me against threats like DD Tyranitar/Gyarados, and mainly Calm Mind Clefable. It's also good against Jirachi, focus punch breloom, suicune, etc. The options for checking it in offense boil down to trick/explosion, and a few mons such as lucario/machamp/breloom... - hence why there are spikes. It's just really good imo and i'm sure it's going to be popular in the future

1692281418277.png

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Payback
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Roost

Thanks to DeepBlueC for this set. For the last slot I needed this mon to have a good check against breloom/SD Lucario, second fight/ground resist, spdef tank, a backup against dd tyranitar. Good synergy with the rest of the team, especially empoleon. I run payback mainly to bait gengar, in which clefable can take advantage later in the game. I'm pretty happy with this team, but you have to be careful with SD Ice Punch Lucario. You will have to prevent it to setup, and keep rotom healthy as much as possible.

1692285138309.png1692285162613.png1692285178195.png1692285193670.png1692285207963.png1692285220540.png

For some reason I thought oipon was going to hard stall me for G2 (he finally used a very offensive team lol), so I wanted to make sure I was good against defensive teams. I started with Specs Empoleon + CB Scizor. The idea is simple, empoleon lures and weakens Latias, she gets trapped, empoleon just spam hydro pump. I added Latias (with surf otherwise heatran was too threatening) as the team scarfer and she fits well defensively with the core. Latias gives mementum to jirachi and especially SD Lucario, so infernape can punish them, plus it fits very well with Pursuit Scizor. Empoleon + Scizor can give free turns to breloom, in which case Lum gengar can take advantage, plus his fight/ground resistances are very useful against threats like scarf flygon, gliscor etc. And finally I needed another steel that could trade with oppo jirachi (I didn't want to rely too much on infernape), rocks user, defensive pivot, so jirachi (also because this is jirachi)

I think the team is still correct, offensiveness of the squad is good, but it's less the case defensively. The team has a very good MU against most stalls, but is a little weak against elecs and heatran

As a note these teams are similar and probably better, a lot of options are possibles for the sets :

1692285287007.png

Review of the second game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-691797

He leads with infernape, very bad lead MU for me. I immediately send gengar on close combat. And at that moment I didn't know what to do; I was really afraid that he would send scizor to trap me because it's a bit like "losing gengar to lose gengar", I don't necessarily get any benefit from weakening zor, but on the other hand, it must help him a lot (especially infernape). Also, if I use shadow ball/Focus blast, he'll probably be in range of Blaze and kill me on the way back. So I take the risk of wisping in a potential scizor/ttar switch in (I thought infernape was choice band) and unfortunately I have the wrong prediction. I then rk'd him with scizor, but then he got a para crit on my jirachi, but at least I manage to get my rocks up. Once he revealed scarf rotom, I tell myself that I will be able to trap him and if I kill ape/scarf rotom, my infernape would most likely be a huge threat to his team and that he n probably didn't have latias. So my gameplan was to send it at the end of the game. I managed to weaken his team little by little and I finally didn't need to reveal infernape. I think my MU was good in general, ggs to oipon for this fun series.

Round 4, against Tricking

I didn't know tricking at all, well all I knew was that he liked paraspam. But honestly I didn't care. I was a bit lazy this week so I only built one team and I recycled two teams that I like, but I hadn't tested MU a lot against paraspam, I was like "I like these teams, and any team can win against paraspam as long as you respect the opposing jirachi and play well". I think that's still more or less the case today, but I definitely underestimated this kind of team and realized my mistake during my first game. In any case, I decided to play a team that I had built a year ago for the DPP PL. One of the reasons I like it so much is because I won my first in a serious tournament, against Mendeez (replay for those who are interessed : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-634508.)

1692283061492.png1692283076601.png1692283091271.png1692283111650.png1692283134235.png1692283148039.png

I started with Scarfloom + Mixnite. Simple core: the idea is that loom prevents rocks early games, which helps dnite, and on the other hand loom is able to rk mons such as DDGyarados, which is able to setup against nite at -2. It can also give momentum to specs latias/Jirach, so metagross can take advantage and put rocks up. Breloom can find opportunities to spore a mon against this core, so lum gengar is here to punish, plus he can threaten Jirachi/Gliscor and pivot on fight/grounds attacks. DD Tyranitar as the wincond of the team, in addition to make the team stronger against the elecs. It benefits from metagross support which can boom bulky waters/grounds. I decided to play taunt for the MU stall, especially since metagross/swampert/breloom are really weak to skarmory. For the last slot I added swampert in order to make the team more solid against threats such as agility metagross/Jirachi/Zapdos/Tyranitar, etc.

1692283991857.png

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

The idea with this set is that by being max SpA, I put more pressure on skarmory / restalk rotom / wisp Gengar, which are all annoying for the team. The main reason to run EQ instead of Earth power is that it's better against suicune and Clefable. HP Elec for Gyarados.

1692287309604.png

Dragonite @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Rash Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Outrage/Extreme Speed
- Aqua Tail

In the paste I have the standard mixnite set, but I am pretty sure Aqua Tail is revelant since you're able to bait hippowledon and have a good chance to kill it with draco meteor + aqua tail (maybe you can add more att EVs), which mean DD taunt Tyranitar is going to be crazy, especially that most of hippo stall rely a lot on hippo to check dd taunt ttar.

Review of the first game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-693414

The game starts, I immediately sprore the jirachi, but unfortunately it will wake up right after and para my metagross, which already mattered a lot. The way he played (staying against a potential sash focuspunch loom, para my metagross), I knew he was playing a very bulky team and probably a paraspam. On turn 15 I decided to send scarf breloom instead of gengar (which, in theory, threatens the switch in much more than scarfloom). I then immediately sent swampert, I think I thought he was going to send zapdos and I wanted to weaken and keep it low hp, but maybe that was a mistake. He finally sends jirachi, and I could have used earthquake, but my swampert is not invested in att, and if I have an opportunity not to give a free para against this type of team, I take it. He then sends Machamp and at that point I'm so pressured that I have to fish. I have to take the risk of mmash again. The fish worked, I'm not taking the risk again (not worth), so I send breloom to break the obvious sub (and it wasn't good in this MU anyway). And at that time, I know his team, I know that they don't like gengar at all so I told myself that I have to keep it healthy. Unfortunately I miss focus blast on the blissey switch in, but it didn't matter since blissey couldn't hit gengar...until he revealed shadow ball. I felt too bad LOL, it made the game so different and the MU became much harder for me, so I had to take risks and outplay him (that was my reasoning). I still keep gengar because it's still a threat. I'm desperately trying to do aggressive doubles, outplay etc, but I knew it wasn't enough. I managed to set up my Tyranitar, and this end of game, what I expected after this strange set of blissey, was limited to: pray. I don't know if I could have done better during this game so I had to rely on luck, but unfortunately I didn't get it and jirachi did jirachi things. Tricking played a good game too, I think before playing he scouted me and saw my monstrous use of gengar, hence the random sball blissey.

1692283908395.png1692283955837.png1692284162414.png1692284179107.png1692284186705.png1692284205056.png

This team is, in my opinion, the most interesting one that I have built during this tournament. I wasn't very happy with the empoleon team specs I played against Oipon, so I wanted to try a new formula, with Choice band Tyranitar. Two big breakers that synergize very well with each other: Tyranitar traps Latias and takes advantage of elecs, while empoleon can take advantage of iron head jirachi, skarmory etc. So far everything looks good but this core is extremely hard to finish, I knew I had to be careful not to be too weak to ground / fight etc. I added donphan who goes very well with these two guys. No sash empoleon likes a good switch in to Zapdos and elecs in general. Tyranitar gives momemtum to mons like Metagross/Jirachi/Gliscor etc (lots of physical mons), donphan can take advantage of them and put the rocks up. And in return, Tyranitar trap rotom so that donphan is able to spin. In any case, this core greatly appreciates a good check to Breloom, fight/ground moves in general, that's why I added Lum Gengar. In addition, it allows you to put pressure on Jirachi (mainly wishtect version).

I added CM Lum Latias because I had needed a second water resist, a good breloom switch in, and while pressuring body slam Jirachi. For the last slot I knew I needed a scarfer to rk the sweepers, since I have 2 choice locked mons and a breaker which can be -2 sometimes. So I added scarf metagross because it allows to rk SD Lucario/Gyarados/DD Tyranitar, while having good defensive utility in general (especially against Breloom/wish tect Jirachi), that's exactly what the team needed. It's not even useless against defensive teams thanks to trick. His biggest concern is that after using trick, it gives free turn to skarmory, but it's compensated by the fact that there are Specs Empoleon/CB Tyranitar/Gengar, three one of the best stall breakers in the tier, and donphan can still punish it thanks to rapid spin. Like any offense it has weaknesses, it is a bit soft against SD Scizor (if it bothers you too much you can use scarf jirachi instead, with fire punch) and Gengar. Beside from that I really like this team.

Edit : Now I use Chople taunt ttar to improve breloom/gengar MU. Taunt hleps to not give a free turn to hippo/skarm. Seed bomb donphan is mainly to bait swampert (it helps metagross and Tyranitar)

Replay of the second game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-693427

I immediately Hpump the skarm t1 and it reveals focus sash, so I knew it was a very offensive team. I tell to myself that it is always valuable to add rocks early game against this kind of team, so I immediately send donphan on the obvious spikes. Obviously I could have used apid spin but it was definitely greedy as play and he probably had a ghost anyway. After he sends rotom I figure he doesn't want to use shadow ball and get trapped for free by Tyranitar, or even give me a free empoleon switch in. So I say to myself: either he will use Hydro pump to target tyranitar, or use thunderbolt to target empoleon (while being ok against Tyranitar), or the most likely option: he will just double switch. So in any case going to Latias is my play. He sends metagross and from there I'm pretty sure I'm facing the BIHI team he played in SPL, so I know his set and his lasts. I knew my MU was going to be complicated, but still winnable and I had to play well, I really wanted to win. I knew the metagross was ironball (and then that's easily guessed with the way he played) and was probably going to trick or use meteor mash (I was sure it wasn't going to drop a random earthquake), so I immediately send empoleon. Then, since his only water resist was latias, he was going to either send it or sack lskarm, so I used ice beam and got the correct prediction. Once he sent latias, I didn't know what to do. I knew that LO thunderbolt had a high chance of killing empoleon, I could have sent latias but too risky because he could have just outplayed me. I tell myself that Tyranitar is not very valuable in this MU so I sac it. I decide to send godgar and burn his Metagross, because I knew that was his only good answer to jirachi (because originally I had scarf jirachi instead of metagross during this game), so my gameplan was to clean with jirachi in end game. Then I know he will either use meteor mash or earthquake (anticipating empoleon, more than I needed to handle rotom specs), so I send donphan to cover both options. He obviously doesn't want to give me a free rapid spin so I use head smash on the rotom switch in, then I double switch on empoleon which covers shadow ball/hydro pump + a switch in. He could have outplayed me and used thunderbolt, but I had no better choices and at this point of the game I was forced to take risks. Suicune then comes in and I immediately send latias to paralyzeit (because before I was using a weird set it was lum latias with thunder wave/thunder/Grass knot/HP Ground), so donphan can force him out afterwards or spin for free. He sends Lucario thinking to kill donphan but he didn't, and that's how the game ends.

1692285018851.png1692285039448.png1692285046848.png1692285054660.png1692285073336.png1692285309116.png

For the third game I decided to recycle the team that I had used against Luigi in SPL. It's a classic team with LoomTran which is a good core, gyarados adds a good balance, latias as scarfer + second fight/elec resist, jirachi as second steel, check to SD Lucario and oppo jirachi. The 5 is strong and balanced enough, so the last can be more or less anything. I added machamp because it takes advantage of paras, improves MU against stall, good lead, etc.

Review of the third game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-693434

When he revealed rain dance with uxie I knew from the start that I had little chance of winning because my MU would be really bad. Also, I haven't played seriously against rain in years so I had a hard time playing against this MU. On turn 7 I managed to predict the steel switch in (I was more thinking about bronzong), and I have to risk WoW because I know that everything will be decided on jirachi in the end. On turn 14 I wanted to send breloom into the rain dance, but I was really worried that he would use hypnosis - and if he didn't miss I had almost no chance of winning. I figure I can use body slam, spam iron head until I feel like he switches to using body slam (I was relying on prediction). Unfortunately I was unlucky as he dodged the para twice and hit hypnosis afterwards. On turn 17 I really wanted to send jirachi to draco meteor, but since hydro pump was enough to kill loom he could have just used this move. I managed to heal my jirachi and was praying to get as many flinches as possible... which unfortunately I don't have. I don't necessarily have regrets for this game, my MU was just horrible. Well done Tricking for this prep.

Round 5, against Conflict

1692285677547.png1692285693280.png1692285712201.png1692285701747.png1692285724617.png1692285759347.png

For the first time of the tournament, I decided to scout my opponent and from what I remember Conflict used old school offenses, with a lot of elecs, scarfgon, suicune, etc. His teams looked relatively weak to stall, but despite that I wanted to keep playing offense because I don't like to play stall at all in general. Finally I had no time to prep so I decided to this stall G1 with a lot of tools anti offenses, and jirachi endgame, a G2 offense that I had built a little before the start of the tournament, and for G3 a semi-stall with SD scizor as wincond (I built this team a few months ago)

1692285970903.png

Review of the first game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-694597

When i saw Latias I already had an idea of the team he was playing and I was not mistaken, given that he plays very standard teams. As soon as he sent heatran t2 I was sure that I was facing this team and I know that they are extremely weak to jirachi so I wanted to keep it at the end of the game to clean. On turn 6 I knew it was not worth for him to stay with his flamethower heatran against spdef tran, so I decided to roar. Tyranitar is coming, and it's his wincond so does he want to risk it? I don't think so, so I roar again. Same against jirachi. After spamming roar I figured he was annoyed and was probably going to attack that turn, so I used earthquake and got the correct prediction. Then I wasn't sure if he was going to stay or switch, so I decided to heal myself which covers all the options. I sacrifice my skarm (not very useful in this MU in any case) to add a spike which was very valuable, and I decide to pivot on clefable then. On turn 16 I was really pressured against breloom, I send my resttalk rotom to absorb a spore but I suspected that it was not going to immediately put me to sleep, it would have been too free for me and then I would have a free latias switch in and breloom would no longer be threatening.

On turn 17 I was afraid that he would use seed bomb again but if that was the case I could have weakened it with shadow ball, and he would have had trouble coming back with spikes + sand. Finally he put my rotom to sleep so I was happy. From that moment he lost jirachi, trick latias and spore mon rotom; he has already used his best options against stall, so I decide to play very passively and especially not to let the DD Tyranitar set up if my hippo is weakened. On turn 14 I could have healed my clef against latias, but I prefer to scout his set before because I was a little afraid of healing wish. When the I saw him used draco meteor instead of surf I was pretty sure it was the case. On turn 26 I make the small mistake of sending jirachi to latias at -2. It wasn't really a "mistake", but in my opinion it would have been ideal to really reveal it at the end of the game. The goal was to force the heatran switch in so I can double switch with hippo. At turn 40 I was thinking that it was the best opportunity for him to use healing wish and that he was going to believe that I was going to switch out (+ a mixture of inexplicable feelings that I had ingame), so I decided to use earthquake. When I saw him send Tyranitar I was like "but nah it can't be shuca ttar, not in this team.... I was really surprised with a second shuca user, especially with 3 ground resist/immune. I failed my plan to not let Ttar set up, but that was so unlikely to me. I think I could have played safer, but well… Besides, his ttar is at 29%, I wasn't even sure that seismic toss could have killed. I was forced to take chips on Clefable + Jirachi, which made this ingame much harder than I thought. But I finally managed to take control of the situation and win. Well done to conflict for having closed the game despite his bad MU.

1692286499268.png1692286514905.png1692286545262.png1692286559935.png1692286567823.png1692286576909.png

I wanted to create a team with infernape + pursuit but which was out of the ordinary. I was super bored with scizor so I wanted to try with Tyranitar. I wanted to play scarfloom lead because it can rk SD Lucario, prevent hazard early (helps infernape), and sleep resttalk rotom (helps spin starmie). I then added spdef bronzong because infernape likes a good switch in to starmie/Latias/scarfgon, while being correct against jirachi. The problem is that it lets in skarmory for free so I added starmie to punish (also to have a water/fight resist). For the last slot I wanted a last fight/ground resist, a check at jirachi, breloom, etc, so godgar. Infernape has all the support he needs: chople tyranitar who can trap all his checks, breloom prevents hazards at the start of the game and starmie can remove them in the middle of the game, bronzong can pivot on his checks, etc. Personally, I'm less a fan of the team than before (mainly because it's a little weak against elecs and wish tect jirachi), but I'm still sharing it because I think it's still viable and fun

1692286743336.png

Infernape @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 Atk / 8 Def / 164 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot

This set is interesting, shuca's idea is that I didn't like my MU at all against hippowdon, moreover that it helps against scarf flygon and earthquake users in general. I wanted a special wincond that is able to OHKO clefable, so that's how I came to this set. Lum is also a cool option against body slam jirachi.

Review of the second game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-694611

When I saw Gliscor + Aboma I was almost sure that I was facing the kristy team, because it is a unique team that I have faced a lot on the ladder. On turn 4 I don't feel like giving a free skarm switch in and mie can take advantage against most bronzong switch ins anyway, so I switch on it. Then I figure there's probably no ghost and even if there was I revealed leftovers less starmie, so he might have expected choice specs or a very offensive set so he doesn't want to send rotom on a hydro pump after the rocks, so I just spin. When I saw wish tect jirachi I knew it was a problem and that this team relies a lot on infernape and gengar to counter this kind of jirachi stall. So I try to preserve them as much as possible. On turn 38 I made a play that I still feel bad about now lol. I use fire blast after jirachi used wish. I don't remember why I did that, I think I wanted to win quickly but it could have been a very shameful choke. Anyway, his jirachi wasn't cursed enough and I still managed to win. Ggs!

Round 6, against Kristyl

It was definitely the weirdest week for me. Even if it was my hardest MU of the tournament, I was out of ideas and I felt like I had already used my best teams.

1692287180373.png1692287240476.png1692287250496.png1692287261416.png1692287271663.png1692287290355.png

I built this team in 2 mins. I started with loomtran, classic core. Empoleon because it is a good lead and gives good entries. I wanted to play scarf rotom, even if I don't like this scarfer at all I was tired of scarf latias. In addition, pain split allows you to not be walled by wishtect jirachi, which was very appreciated here (+ take advantage of the heatran support which can burn tyranitar). Jirachi as a second steel, and for the last slot I wanted a second water /fight/gronud resist so I added dnite. Basically I had played DD Lum Dnite to check breloom and weaken bulky grounds/waters (help jirachi), but maybe mixnite is just better here? I don't know, I haven't done anything with this team since this game, I'm not a big fan of this team.

Review of the first game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-695660

When I saw sash empoleon + flygon I was expecting mixed LO gon, which the team was not ready to face at all. Sash skarm + mixgon is probably the scariest offensive combot for the team, and if I was less lazy during the week and tested the team, I would have realized that and played something else or changed the team. So I send rotom and I double switch on empoleon anticipating a steel or tyranitar. I knew DD Tyranitar could come in and kill empoleon with earthquake. Maybe sending jirachi instead would have been better but I really didn't want to reveal it that early in the game and breloom could still punish ttar. On turn 14 I had to take a big risk, and if I had extreme speed... I don't know why I played a dnite without extreme speed in such a team, it was a big mistake. Honestly, if I had extreme speed, I think I had decent odds to win because my jirachi was looking menacing against her team and could still live flygon. Flygon finally managed to get the upper hand and I lost as fuck. gg.

1692287672951.png1692287678435.png1692287687991.png1692287704173.png1692287709701.png1692287727652.png

From what I remember her teams looked weak to SD Lucario, sometimes she relied on max def zapdos to check it. So a few hours before playing lol I wanted to try SD Ice punch with pursuit support. I had tried a few quick 6 quickly, for example this one,

1692287903490.png

but I didn't like them too much. I was desperate so I asked excal to help me and we came down to this 6. Excal liked the team (and it's still the case I believe), but it was not really the case to me. I find that it is a little weak to Jirachi , CM hp fire Latias and scarf mag. Anyway, the idea is that pursuit zor helps lucario because you trap ghosts and latias. I added latias to take advantage of mons like zapdos/gyarados which can annoy those 2. I was forced to play CM Lum to make the team less weak against jirachi. I needed a second steel that could boom boring stuff, handle jirachi, etc, so I added heatran. Rotom because I needed a scarfer, a second elec resist. It benefits from the support of heatran and Latias which can weaken Tyranitar. Skarmory as a suicide lead, as hazards are very valuable. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of this team but it's not terrible either, and it's still one of the only teams that Lucario has exactly the support he needs.

1692288105109.png

Rognure (Lucario) @ Life Orb (No priority)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

After this lose I came down to this set. The idea is that the team is a bit soft against stall (you have to play extremely well), so this lucario set helps so that you're able to beat restalk rotom/latias etc, while being good against gliscor and zapdos. Maybe extreme speed over crunch is just better, but since I already have tools against offense (bullet punch zor, shuca boom tran, hazards and latias, scarf rotom) this set is worth considering I think.

Review of my last game : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-695668

When I saw discharge rotom lead, I was sure I was facing a stall team, and I knew it wasn't going to be easy. But I still have the options against this kind of team, so I had to play well. On turn 3, considering that I added one spikes/rocks with skarmory, I figured she was going to expect specs heatran or an offensive set like life orb, so I was sure she was going to prioritize latias/scarf tyranitar rather clefable. So either way scizor is my play… but she got a crit. And at that point, after my G1 loss, I just gave up. I was close to forfeit but figured I could still crit or try to play for the choke, even if it was unlikely. So I continued to play brainless. I found an opportunity to setup but the rotom was impassable, I wish I used this lucario set... I could just not break her defensive core, no way to win. I think I could have won the game without the crit (but still hard), but hey... I was mostly disappointed with my prep, I should have taken these games more seriously... Ggs.

Huge thank to Excal - DeepBlueC and Le Don for the help and the interessing discuss we had during the tournament.

1692288763389.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)