Jail/Prison thread

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Hey there. I've never been arrested or anything, but some of my relatives have in the past (mainly my father) so I began thinking about it lately. My father was arrested a short time before I was born in 96 for murder (idk what the actual charge was but he killed a dude while high on drugs from what I was told) and was in prison until late 2015. Because of this I've never actually met him irl and I know very little about him. Anyways, have any of ya'll ever been to jail/prison or known people who have? What was the experience like and was it like how it's portrayed on TV (gritty, dirty and violent)? Please don't be afraid to admit if you have or judge people because imo jail doesn't make one a bad person; we all make mistakes, some more severe than others but we also learn from them as well.

Asheviere

Banned deucer.
I honestly don't agree with the "we all make mistakes" reasoning because you need to do a LITTLE more than make a mistake to end up in prison. You can call committing a crime a lapse of judgment or a retarded decision but it's very unlikely "a mistake". That being said, I strongly belief in my country's justice and prison system. If you break the rules of the society you live in, you lose your privileges to participate in said society, which seems more than fair to me. I do think that after your punishment is over you should be allowed back in society and treated like a "normal" person, but I really can't blame anyone for mistreating ex-convicts because you have proven to be capable of committing severe crimes.

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Smogon is too innocent for this thread. Too delicate.

And yes op, prison is exactly like how its portrayed in popular media.

If you really want to see the under belly of society, there are a multitude of documentaries on prison life just on youtube alone.

Last edited:

Diophantine

Banned deucer.
Hey there. I've never been arrested or anything, but some of my relatives have in the past (mainly my father) so I began thinking about it lately. My father was arrested a short time before I was born in 96 for murder (idk what the actual charge was but he killed a dude while high on drugs from what I was told) and was in prison until late 2015. Because of this I've never actually met him irl and I know very little about him. Anyways, have any of ya'll ever been to jail/prison or known people who have? What was the experience like and was it like how it's portrayed on TV (gritty, dirty and violent)? Please don't be afraid to admit if you have or judge people because imo jail doesn't make one a bad person; we all make mistakes, some more severe than others but we also learn from them as well.
I'm sorry for your situation man that must be tough to deal with.

I have no experience with prison myself, but I grew up in a high crime area in London, so I know some people that went or that are in there.
One of my childhood friends had an absent father and had his two older brothers in prison (one for drug dealing and the other for accepting money to be a hitman and employing children to do it). He writes to them, but I never felt it was appropriate to bring it up in conversation despite being one of my closest friends so I don't know too much about how he feels about it all (despite the obvious feelings). I am still on good terms with him, but still I would never mention it. He used to want to be a professional sportsman, and was probably the most naturally talented young footballer (soccer player for Americans) that I've ever seen, but the crime life he was surrounded by eventually sucked him in.

Someone I used to be friends with that ended up trying to turn on me grew up with his three older brothers in jail for life. He is currently in prison himself. I'm not sure what for though. Plot twist: his brother was one of the kids employed by my other friend's brother to carry out the hit (on a mother, no less, for £200). It's incredibly sad how this turned out. From a young age you could tell he was twisted, most likely by his surroundings.

Another one of my close childhood friends is currently in prison for the second time. He was caught in the country side supplying drugs to crackheads for large amounts of money. I haven't been able to visit him but I am determined to go as I'm still on good terms with him.

As a result of all the shit I've witnessed in life I've made it my goal to be an example to (and of) kids that grow up in areas similar to mine. After I am done with my professional career I want to go into either education (in a school like mine) or something where I can inspire and support these kinds of children.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)