Type: Bug/Rock

Base Stats

HP: 70
Attack: 95
Defence: 125
SpAtk: 65
SpDef:75
Speed:45
70HP is a bit of a let down... but it has decent Attack and great Defence. Its SpDef is pretty crap and its speed is pathetic. This is an issue for Iwaparesu, but it gets a move to fix its speed and give it 190 Atk.

Typing
0.5x Normal, Poison
x2 Water, Steel, Rock
It's not great typing, Resisting 2 of the least used offensive types and weak to 3 fairly common offensive types. At least it has no 4x weakness, but it is exposed to 25% from SR and is affected by all other hazards.

Abilities

Study: Can't be 1hkoed.
Shell Armor: Can't be hit by a Crit
Breakable Armor: When hit by a Physcial attack -1Def, +1Spd
Nothing special, Breakable Armor and Study

As i was looking threw the new moves, one move stood out, and that move is shell break. I went straight to Blastoise with excitment and no... Blastoise doesn't get shell break. So I'd say Iwaparesu looks to be the best physical user of shell break. According to Serebii, Shell Break Adds +2 Atk, SpAtk and Spd, but lowers Def and SpDef. If this is correct, IMO this is the best stat building move in the game, few Pokemon get it though.

Before I get to the possible movesets, here is everything Iwaparesu learns.
Bold= Good Moves (only will highlight once if the move shows more than once)

Level Up
Lv.1 Shell break
Lv.1 Rock Blast

Lv.1 Withdraw
Lv.1 Sand-attack
Lv.5 Rock Blast
Lv.7 Withdraw
Lv.11 Sand-attack
Lv.13 Faint Attack
Lv.17 Knock Down
Lv.19 Rock Polish
Lv.23 Bug Bite
Lv.24 Stealth Rock
Lv.29 Rock Slide
Lv.31 Slash
Lv.38 X-scissor
Lv.43 Shell Break
Lv.50 Flail
Lv.55. Rock Wrecker

TM List
TM01 Claw Sharpen
TM06 Toxic
TM10 Hidden Power
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solarbeam
TM23 Knock Down
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM32 Double Team
TM37 Sandstorm
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Sing A Round
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM68 Giga Impact
TM69 Rock Polish
TM71 Stone Edge
TM75 Swords Dance
TM76 Bug Opposition
TM78 Level Ground
TM80 Rock Slide
TM81 X-scissor
TM84 Poison Jab
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash

Egg Moves
Endure
Iron Defence
Night Slash
Sand Tomb
Counter
Curse
Spikes
Block

Possible Movesets

Basic Shell Breaker
Iwaparesu @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy/Broken Armor
Adamant/Jolly Nature
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/216/Spd/36SpDef
~Shell Break
~X-scissor
~Rock Slide/Stone Edge
~Earthquake/Night Slash/Substitute

The item is up to you, but Life Orb may be needed to turn 2hkos into 1hkos. Leftovers is good if your running Sub and Lum berry allows Iwaparesu to Set up without worrying about status. Both abilities are average, if you don't mind losing Defence for Speed then go Broken Armor. If you don't like that, run Study (unlikely for Iwaparesu to be 1hkoed). Shell Armor can be used to block crits... but they shouldn't even happen anyway. Run Max speed for Adamant, the EVs given above are for Jolly, it allows you to out-speed positive Base 130+ after a Shell Break.
The moves are very basic. Shell Break for the +2 Atk +2 SpAtk +2 Spd. Dual STAB is always nice, and you will probably be moving first so the 30% flinch on rock slide may get annoying for your opponent. 4th Move filler should probably be Earthquake/Sub. Night slash is okay if your having accuracy troubles, but his dual STAB doesn't really require a dark move filler. Earthquake for coverage, Sub for being safe for a turn. Curse, Swords Dance and Rock Polish are all great moves, but simply outclassed in this case.
It is walled by non grounded Steels, but usually non grounded steels have a secondary type which Iwaparesu can hit for neutral damage.
I'm probably comparing this to the 4th gen metagame, but I think it will to well in 5th Gen.

Support Hazarder
Iwaparesu @ Leftovers/Lum Berry/Chesto Berry
Ability: Shell Armor
Carful Nature (-SpAtk +SpDef)
EVs: 252HP/4Def/252SpDef (Fixed from 128hp/128def)
~Steath Rock
~Spikes
~Stone Edge/Rest/Block
~X-Scissor/Rest/Toxic

This set would be better in 4th gen, now that defog screwes up everything on the field (NVM). Still, it does its job. Block is interesting, it can be used on some stupid toxic staller or something that is also setting up, then Iwaparesu can set up.. Something like Spiritomb is an easy set-up target. I think 1 attacking move is necessary, or just toxic. Rest is for recovery, supported by Chesto/Lum. Sand Storm works well with this.

Conclusion
Iwaparesu may be a threat, I assumed it was going to OU or BL... but everyone is saying UU =(. It can reach up to 634atk and over 390 speed with one boost, not to mention the SpAtk. It makes me wonder if Shell Break's effect is a typo. I personally think it can do well in any tier, (even Ubers).

Credit to Serebii.net for providing ability and moveset info. Bulbapedia for Sprites.

I dont think this thing is Cloyster in terms of Shell Breaking, but it does have good offensive typing to make that set pretty viable I guess. If you dont want that big of a weakness to priority (Bullet Punch!), then Rock Polish with decent attack and a Life Orb would probably work as well.

I wouldnt count the supporter out either, because it has access to hazards, decent typing as far as I can tell, and great defense. In Sandstorm, that sp. def weakness is patched up. So I can see a sandstorm team spiker being viable for sure. I would max that HP first though because that stat is so low, then get some sp defense numbers (which we cant know yet), and then buff that defense with the rest because it is already very good.

Sturdy is of course dumb with Life Orb...would mention that :P

So after a Shell Break his Attack will be 634 and his speed will be 398?This guy will never be OU or even BL.

Weak to Steel and Stealth Rock..And to make it worse his Def will be at -1...

When i checked serebii i swear it said +def instead of spatk. Maybe it was my eyes or something. I kinda based this around the physcial side of Shell break, with no idea it raised SpAtk

When i checked serebii i swear it said +def instead of spatk. Maybe it was my eyes or something. I kinda based this around the physcial side of Shell break, with no idea it raised SpAtk
It does say that. It's just a typo. At any rate Cloyster completely outclasses when using Shell Break.

Omastar and Cloyster will go to OU, but they wont like priority. I still think he may be able to do something in OU, probably not any major impact though. I'll still test it.

yeah If this thing is gonna get used you need a sand storm and max hp secondly shell breaker will be impossible to use. BP Scizor the guy on everysingle ou team ever will maim it and so will kabotops aqua jet if you run into a raindance team (and with politoed there will be a ton of) yeah OU is no chance UU is the best he can do

ChestoRest is better than LumRest, because rest cures status.

Imo, the supporter set's slashes should be

~Steath Rock
~Spikes
~Stone Edge
~Rest

With Toxic and X-scissor mentioned somewhere. Block, with that pathetic Spd, is really just trapping that special attacker that comes in. X-scissor only kills a few noteworthy things Stone Edge doesn't (I think). Toxic can be slashed on any bulky pokemon ever.

In conclusion,

cool.

And if you read the entry carefully, you'd see it says clears entry hazards on the target's side of the field. Not yours.

You'd just undoing all the entry hazards you put down against your opponent.
I got confused, sorry. Well that is a pointless move if you have already layed down hazards. Everything else it gets rid of isn't very common.

I wonder why people go Shell Break on this thing? It's speed is not good at all, and I would rather increase its bulk and attack with Curse. This is the 1st time I am doing a set so bare with me.

Iwaparesu @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252Atk/252HP/4Def
~Block
~X-scissor
~Stone Edge
~Curse

This thing is quite sturdy and in sandstorm it can take even special hits well. You want to come in after sandstorm is setup, block something that cant threaten you but is likely to stay in, thinking you are not a threat, and proceed to curse up making you impossible to kill with physical attacks. Shell Armor is the preffered aability so random crits wont screw up your whole setup.

I know the situations for blocking might not be to common, but if pulled off this thing will be very hard to take down. The biggest weakness I see here are Choice Specs users who could take you down with powerfull special attack even after the SDef buff in sandstorm.

So Defog is still terrible? For shame.

This thing looks alright, Shell Break set seems most attractive because Bug/Rock is not good defensively.

So Defog is still terrible? For shame.

This thing looks alright, Shell Break set seems most attractive because Bug/Rock is not good defensively.
the thing about defog is that it clears the hazards on the poke it was used, so it's only useful in double/triple battles where you can aim on pokes of YOUR side, and does not have to worry about spin blockers or things alike.
the problems is hazards are not so proemminent on doubles as they are on singles. So yeah, still a pretty useless move.

On the poke note, acess to stealth rock as a level up move and spikes as a egg move, shell armor, while having a type that benefits from sand storm must be worth something... maybe a new staple on low tiers sand teams?

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I could see this thing working in the lower tiers - As long as it's not in the same tier as Cloyster.

Hmm just looking at this and was thinking of how it could work.

First thing is its best bet is to be a lead 'cos it is one of the few things in Gen 5 that learns Stealth Rocks. Now Ive come up with this set using just theory but havnt manage to get around testing it.

So I was thinking something along these lines

Iwaparesu
Sturdy - Salac Berry - Careful
252 HP - 56 Def - 200 SpDef
Stealth Rock
Shell Break
Rock Slide/Stone Edge
X-Scissor/EarthQuake

Now you may have looked at this and thought WTF is this idiot on.

With these EVs and 31 IVS it would reach a nice bulk before Shell Break.
Sturdy means unless taunted it will definatly get SR down.
If it gets Salac Boost and then shell breaks it will go up to 378 (126 -> 189 -> 378) Speed and 452 Attack

Which if I have done my calculations correct and the theory behind the salac boost is right it will out speed Base 120 Max Non-Boosted (Like Alakazam)

This still probably wont put it in to OU tier but it might be a nice addition to the lower ones.

If I have the mechanics all wrong im sorry and will delete this post =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)