International Spriting Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
International Spriting Contest
===============================================

~I have the permission of aragornbird to post this~
(could a mod pls pinn that? )

Very Welcome to the international Spriting Contest! In this contest the four biggest english forums as well as two of the biggest german forums will particpate to compete: this contest takes place on Antiquity, Smogon, Serebii, PokemonElite2000, Pokemonexperte and Pokefans.

Just to explain how this contest will proceed:

First of all read the rules which will be explained later. Read the tasks (if you have any questions, just ask right here) and make your sprites. Then upload them on your favorite picture hoster like imageshack.us and send all your sprites via Personal Message to me. Do not post them here!

The rules i already mentioned before are as follows:

Rules

- Sprite your own Sprites - Do not steal them! If we find out about any stolen sprite you'll be disqualified!
- Do not steal ideas of others. Sometimes it happens accidentally, but please, don't obviously steal ideas of others. Be creative yourself - that's what spriting is about.
- Recolors which are only the photographic negative of the real colors are prohibited.
- Don't submit already published sprites! The votings should be fare and square without the voters knowing who sprited which sprite, so don't use already published sprites and don't publish your contest sprites before the results are announced. Waiting about two weeks before you are able to post your sprites shouldn't hurt ;>
- During the votings don't tell anyone which ones are your sprites. Neither in the forums nor in any messenger.
- Please don't submit overly huge sprites. We won't give you an absolute limit but just try to avoid sprites over 200x200 pixels.
- only participate in one of the already mentioned forums. Be fair to your oppenents
- Only one submission per category
- You don't have to submit sth. in every category to participate, but please submit every single one of the sprites in one PM.
- No "IN" posts; Just send me your sprites and your name will be standing in the list of participants ;>

Important: If possible, please upload your sprite here: http://files.pokefans.net/upload/#en

You now should be prepared for the categories:

The Categories

1. Recolor

Simply give this sprite of Linoon a new paint. You may change every pixel but don't add or remove any of the pixels.
You may only use this particular sprite. It's the first frame from DPP.

2. 3er Fusion
+
+

Make a fusion out of these three pokémon. You may use other pokémons color but only use parts of the three above. Don't scratch too much, it's only a fusion. Transitions or things alike are okay though.
You are allowed to use parts of every single sprite of them, whether it's diamond, pearl or platinum or first or second frame

3. Retype

Persian doesn't really like its type - it's normal. It's boring... So change it. You are totally free to choose which type it will become - except the type "Normal" of course.
You are allowed to recolor, fusion or scratch - it's all up to you.

4. Coloration

Your task is to color these lines (The Lines are by violedra/me). You also have to add the leaf pattern by the way. The Pokémon should look like it is real, so you have to use the orignal colors or colors that look much alike.
You may change the pixels within, but don't add any outlines - just color it. Coloring the Outlines is allowed of course.

5. My Fusion

Simple und free: You have to fusion as many pokémon as you like. Scratching is permitted as long as one can see at least two components of two different pokémon. You may use every sprite ressource you want.
One question i heard pretty often concerning this task: "Is a recolor alone okay?"
-> Sole recolors are no fusions and since this category is called my fusion it should be obvious that you have to at least fusion two pokémon.

Completed the tasks? Then just send them to me via Personal Message (keep the rules in mind) and your name will appear on the following list:

List of Participants (smogon only)

1.Dogfish44
2.Hybrid99
3.Atyroki
4.Lord Blood
5.Estranged

Deadline: 20.03.09, 23:59h (UTC/GMT +1 hour)

We wish you much of fun and good luck with the tasks!
And also thanks to the contributors:
aragornbird (Smogon), arkani88 (Pokefans), Astamatitos(Atqonline), Dragonfree (Serebii), Hermine (Pokemonexperte), RocketMeowth (PokemonElite2000), violedra (Pokefans)

Quick question, in the first category, are we obliged to a pokemon as base, or can we choose any of them.

Great contest by the way, but I can already see the winners.

Lol, I think this contest will be big.
I am not participating though... I am here to see the entries, and criticize.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Why is scratching on the fusions discouraged? Personally I think you should be encouraging as much scratching possible on fusions. Having a hideous amalgamation of disemboweled sprite pieces on one grotesque frankenstein as opposed to a fluid, natural looking hybrid of the sprites just makes no sense to me. Rarely do any two sprites coincide with each other and as a result heavy scratching is almost demanded to make the end result even look decent.

Why is scratching on the fusions discouraged? Personally I think you should be encouraging as much scratching possible on fusions. Having a hideous amalgamation of disemboweled sprite pieces on one grotesque frankenstein as opposed to a fluid, natural looking hybrid of the sprites just makes no sense to me. Rarely do any two sprites coincide with each other and as a result heavy scratching is almost demanded to make the end result even look decent.
Dude, I have been complaining about this issue in spriting a LOT. People tend to make big bulky messes instead of putting thought into it.
anyways, I know I'm only an amateur artist and a pretty bad spriter, but I will still participate sooner or later.

it is not like you have to put together the sprites and every added pixel is prohibited. we just don't want to receive complete scratches or sprites where you can't see any sign of the three pokemon, that's it. imo there's always a way to put different parts together really smoothly if you are creative
and it is also called 'fusion' and not 'scratch' - we germans make a difference right there, since they are two different categories to us.

btw: this contest is not divided into different rounds, like some of you thought. the tasks above are categories, so you have to send all the sprites at once. the following voting will also contain every category

k back from a long break

im with KoA on the scratching thing. I'll say this again: whenever you make a sprite thread anywhere, the first CPsprite is jumped upon and critics go "scratch moar". This is quite strange that you are told to scratch in threads but not in contests.
Scratch sprite normally means a sprite from a blank area. Every single pixel must be your own. Fusion implies that scratching should be done to merge properly, and the given combination wouldnt look good with CP.
Just my thoughts

BTW, can we make a small change to our sprite after its submitted?
Can we animate the recolours or something?

k back from a long break

im with KoA on the scratching thing. I'll say this again: whenever you make a sprite thread anywhere, the first CPsprite is jumped upon and critics go "scratch moar". This is quite strange that you are told to scratch in threads but not in contests.
Scratch sprite normally means a sprite from a blank area. Every single pixel must be your own. Fusion implies that scratching should be done to merge properly, and the given combination wouldnt look good with CP.
Just my thoughts
(this'll be my last post concerning this matter)

well, i get your point. scratches are mostly much smoother than fusions - that's normal. but look at it a bit differently: this is a contest that'll challenge all of your abilities. task one is about your sense of colors, task two about your creativity to make the best out of the three while you have to improvise with the different parts and think about a way to create a harmonic sprite. task three gives you the chance to make everything you want to change the cats type and show your abilities and task four will challange you on how to set the shadows and highlights. task five is pretty free again.

the best spriter has to have the full package of the abilities above to win this contest.
as i already mentioned, i really get your point with the scratching thing, but vio and i thought a lot about the rules of the categories and we won't change them anymore. sorry about that

Edit: Sorry, i kinda forgot to answer your questions^^''
MetalGarX said:
BTW, can we make a small change to our sprite after its submitted?
Can we animate the recolours or something?
1. no. the first submission of a sprite is the final one
2. no, animations aren't allowed

I have a few questions:

1. In categories 3 and 5 entrants are permitted to make a sprite from scratch. Since it appears that you're allowing people to do sprites above the normal 80x80 pixel limit would scratched entries be preferred to be within that limit rather than monstrous 200x200 designs?

2. How exactly will this contest be judged? It's alluded to that it'll be some sort of public voting but it's not explained in detail.

3. Specifically in regards to category 4, would you allow entries that are clearly coloured via methods other than pixel by pixel? I ask because in your own art thread you categorized a selection of art under sprites when most (if not all) exceeded 500 colours.

Otherwise i'm quite happy and after being directed here by several people i'll most probably be entering.

@1. good question. we prefer (and i guess same will go for the voters) sprites that aren't overly huge like as you said monstrous 200x200 sprites. 80x80 pixels may be a bit small for some sprites, so that's why we only gave such a vague limit.
but from experience i can say, that only very few sprites in contests i know have ever been in the range of even 150x150.

@2. you're right. that wasn't explained in this topic. and you're also right with your suggestion: it will be a public voting, where everyone can vote. further details will be explained in the voting topic, since i haven't translated them yet

@3. -> http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1801739&postcount=28

If you're saying that the use of tools with automatic anti-aliasing and image filters such as blurring are allowed in the colouring of category 4 then I must stress that this is not a sprite contest or even a pixel art contest. Though there is a grey area as to when pixel art is no longer pixel art it must achieve the look of being done pixel by pixel even with anti-aliasing being done manually. It's exceedingly rare to get pixel art that goes up to 255 unique colours, never mind more.

If you're saying that the use of tools with automatic anti-aliasing and image filters such as blurring are allowed in the colouring of category 4 then I must stress that this is not a sprite contest or even a pixel art contest. Though there is a grey area as to when pixel art is no longer pixel art it must achieve the look of being done pixel by pixel even with anti-aliasing being done manually. It's exceedingly rare to get pixel art that goes up to 255 unique colours, never mind more.
ok your right. We in Germany don't really differenticate Pixelart and Sprites, but ok.
We will limit the colors of a sprite to 16, this is the number of colors Nintendo also use I think.

Sprites is a form of pixel art. I'm talking about distinguishing pixel art from every other form of digital media. There's no need to place down such a large colour restriction especially when we're allowed to increase the size of our work a bit. I just wanted to make sure you understood what pixel art is in case people try to get an unfair advantage over those playing fair.

I am going to participate for Antiquity, just here to say gl to you all
and wow... if the best from all these forum participate, it will be awsome. Aragonbird, Sky Salt... it will be amazing

I think what Wyverii is saying is that you should have to lay the pixels down by hand, using the pencil or the paintbucket tool, and not allowed to use a graphics program, because thats graphics, not pixelart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)