'insert interesting title here' an ubers stall team

Hi. As more alert readers may already have figured out, I'm nmitchell890 and this is my attempt at an Ubers stall team. As a long-time lurker, this is also my first attempt at an RMT so please be nice. The potential replacements I am thinking atm are either Kyogre or Genesect over Heracross, both have their own advantages but neither can switch into Dark Void like Heracross can. And so, without further ado, onto the team :)

Arceus (Arceus-Grass) @ Meadow Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Recover
- Grass Knot
- Stealth Rock
- Perish Song
The best way to start any game is with an early Stealth Rock. This Arceus provides the hazard and will therefore lead against certain teams if I predict an opposing lead that Arceus will match up well against. I won't risk Arceus though, it plays an important role in checking many common pokemon, especially those that have weather changing abilities. As much as Arceus misses having a coverage move, I have found that both Stealth Rock and Perish Song are essential to the success of this team. Stealth Rock is obvious, even if it can't set up first turn there will be plenty of opportunities to set up throughout the match, and I will deliberately lure in pokemon that Arceus can easily switch into and force out. As for Perish Song, it acts as a pseudo-phazing move while also stopping pokemon like mono-attacking Dark/Steel Arceus formes when they are the last pokemon standing. Recover and Grass Knot are standard on Grass Arceus, I don't think I need to explain them.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch
Ah, Forretress. What stall team is complete without Spikes and Rapid Spin support? Forretress provides both of these in one pokemon, a valuable asset on stall as it opens up an extra team slot to play with. Forretress is also the only steel type on this team, making it important in absorbing Outrage from the likes of Rayquaza, Garchomp, Zekrom and Salamence. As can be seen, Forretress shoulders a lot of responsibility for the team, and so I have tried to maximise its survivability by giving it Rest and Volt Switch. Volt Switch is less obvious, it allows Forretress to escape from Magnezone and Wobbuffet and also allows Forretress to scout. Rest is the best option for Forretress on this team as it can take advantage of the provided Aromatherapy support to fully heal its HP and continue to do its job. Something to note about Forretress is that while it provides little in the way of defensive synergy outside of taking on Outrage, it is a support pokemon through and through. It sounds harsh, but I won't be too bothered if Forretress gets KOed if it provides a few layers of Spikes and makes sure my field will stay clear before I lose it.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Roar
Giratina prefers to be in its Alternate form in this team, it needs the extra defences to stand up to certain common threats to stall, like Excadrill, most physical Arceus, Blaziken and Ho-Oh. With this EV spread, Will-o-Wisp isn't too useful and picking it at the wrong time with Sleep Talk can be annoying, so Roar fills the final slot and turns Giratina into a phazing machine. Other than taking on the above threats and many more besides, Giratina fills the role of spinblocker. It can't do much to Forretress other than phaze, giving it time to get at least one layer if it is phazed in, but my own Forretress helps deal with that problem. Rest and Sleep Talk are reliable enough when backed by Aromatherapy support, while also removing the negative priority bracket on both phazing moves. This team prefers the perks Giratina has over its Origin form, making it an worthwhile addition and an improvement to the team.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic
- Reflect
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
The great wall of GenII is back and ready to rumble, having access to a new ability that makes the likes of Giratina jealous is always helpful. This set is designed to maximise the use of Multiscale, having a faster Roost allows it to heal up in the faces of Garchomp and Terrakion and cushion the blow from full HP. Having a faster Reflect is also useful against Swords Dance Rayquaza and most variants of Extreme Killer that Lugia will be relied upon to counter. There are downsides to this set compared to the standard set, with Stealth Rock on the field it becomes much harder to switch into the threats it is meant to counter like Dragon Dance Rayquaza, but it normally does the job well enough. The rest is pretty standard, Toxic for wearing the opponent down and Dragon Tail for phazing.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
- Toxic
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
Chansey is an incredibly important member of the team, taking special attacks like they are nothing and providing team support. Seriously, this pink blob of fat is bulky enough with its precious Eviolite to survive two uses of rain-boosted Water Spout by Choice Specs Kyogre, two uses of sun-boosted Blue Flare by Choice Specs Reshiram, it even avoids the 2HKO from Choice Specs Kyurem-W using Focus Blast. That kind of bulk is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering that it has literally no resists and is weak to Focus Blast. Surprisingly enough, Chansey packs enough physical bulk to take on most unboosted physical threats too, mixed Giratina-O can't 2HKO even with Outrage, neither can Choice Scarf Garchomp. Such bulk enables it to provide Aromatherapy support that is vital to the success of this team. Forretress relies on it to continue laying down Spikes after it has been forced to Rest. The moveset is pretty standard really, Toxic is Toxic and Seismic Toss does decent damage to most things. Softboiled provides recovery.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- X-Scissor
- Sleep Talk
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
Terrakion was suggested by several people, and proved to be a great addition to the team when tested, replacing Heracross. He does the same jobs as Heracross did, just better. Not only does it practically counter Darkrai for the team, it also provides an extra check to Extreme Killer, and it revenge kills the previously identified threats much easier, including Reshiram, Kyurem-W and Zekrom. With X-Scissor, it doesn't lose out on checking Latias and Latios, and the all important Psycho Killer. Terrakion has the bonus of outspeeding all Dragon Dance users in Ubers, along with all Choice Scarf dragon types (if anyone uses Choice Scarf Latios in Ubers then they aren't getting the most out of their Latios) and is able to KO them all, making it a great catch-all revenge killer. The team has improved leaps and bounds since Terrakion got the nod over Heracross, thank you to everyone that suggested him.

The main weaknesses I have identified are to Zekrom, Reshiram and Kyurem-W. Against Zekrom only Arceus can repeatedly take on Bolt Strike, but it falls to Outrage. As for Reshiram and Kyurem-W, Chansey is the only pokemon capable of taking on their assaults repeatedly but it gets worn down and eventually overwhelmed by the sheer power of their attacks. Adding Choice Scarf Kyogre in place of Heracross helps solve the issue with Reshiram with Drizzle but opens up another hole that Darkrai can take advantage of.

Previous members

Giratina @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Roar
Another staple on stall, Giratina-O is the best spinblocker in the game imo. It packs plenty of advantages over its main rivals; Ghost Arceus and the alternate forme of Giratina. Ghost Arceus lacks the extra resistances and ability to phaze and remove status that both formes of Giratina have. Now, while Giratina has Leftovers and higher overall defenses in its alternate forme, its origin forme packs Levitate allowing it to avoid both types of Spikes and check Groudon much better, along with a slightly more powerful Dragon Tail that allows it to better take on Ho-Oh as it will almost always break Substitute. Both Dragon Tail and Roar allow Giratina-O to phaze, both take advantage of the lack of negative priority should they be picked by Sleep Talk while allowing it to phaze through Taunt and Substitute respectively. Having both also gives Sleep Talk a 2/3rds chance of picking a phazing move. Rest and Sleep Talk are obvious, combining to give Giratina-O a reliable method of healing its HP, especially when backed up by Aromatherapy support.

Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Megahorn
- Sleep Talk
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
Heracross isn't usually seen in Ubers, it is well known for being literally the best counter to Darkrai in existence. That isn't all Heracross does for the team though, it is one of the few pokemon that puts an immediate stop to Psycho Killer as Megahorn is an instant OHKO. Latias and Latios are other targets of Heracross, along with Dark Arceus. All of these can potentially be problematic for the team, Giratina-O is scared to switch into Dark Void for fear of Dark Pulse while Mewtwo is impossible to counter completely. This Heracross prefers the extra speed of a Jolly nature to outspeed and revenge kill Deoxys-A, another extremely threatening pokemon almost on par with Mewtwo. Finally, Heracross is the only member of this team that can sweep late game should the opportunity arise, this gives my team a 'panic button' should something go horribly wrong. This becomes increasingly likely as Moxie boosts stack up.

That's it for this RMT. Borrow, rate, steal and above all, enjoy :)

Instead of adding a Scarf Kyogre you could add a Rest Talk Kyogre. He'd help against Darkrai quite a bit. He can also use Roar so that would help you rack up even more hazard damage.

Kyogre @ Leftovers Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roar
- Rest
- Scald
- Sleep Talk

I wish I could help more but I have no idea how to make/play a stall team. Sorry.

Don't use Rest on Forretress. Instead, try Pain Split. It will still increase his lifespan, but without wasting too many turns or becoming set up bait.

Next, I highly reccommend Whirlwind over Dragon Tail on Lugia. There are few Taunt users in Ubers, and Lugia's awful attack means even a SE Dragon Tail will barely do any damage. Whirlwind allows to phaze dangerous Substitute users who would render your current Lugia set helpless

I find Heracross to be a little too situational. Sure he can counter Darkrai, but otherwise he could be dead weight. If you want a sturdy yet powerful revenge killer similar to Heracross I'd use Scarf Terrakion. Jolly Scarfed Terrakion can outspeed a huge number of Uber threats thanks to his 108 base speed. He can outspeed +1: Rayquaza, Kyogre, Kyruem-W, Reshiram,
and Zekrom. He's amazing as a late game sweeper with hazards. He resists & gets a Justified
boost by switching into Darkrai's Dark Pulse and he can use Sleep Talk to absorb Dark Voids. A moveset that includes X-Scissor could also help greatly against Mewtwo and the Lati twins. Being a Rock-type, unlike Heracross, he resists Extremespeeds from
the dangerous Arceus-Normal and if you keep Terrakion heathly, (+2 Espeed can do 60%) Terrakion can OHKO Arceus-Normal after SR and tank 1 +2 Espeed.

Good Luck with the team!

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Just FYI, If you want to turn those URLs into pictures, add
after it, like

All right, moving on to the rate! First of all, you already have 2 sleep absorbers in Giratina-O and Chansey. Therefore, I don't not think you need a third and a fourth in Heracross and Forretress. Therefore, run Pain Split > Rest and Toxic Spikes > Volt Switch on Forretress. Why? Rest is extremely unreliable and leaves Forretress set-up bait. Any CM Arceus or even worse EK Arceus can easily take advantage of the 3 turns needed for Forretress to wake up, and decimate your team. Even with Aromatherapy support, you are required to successfully use Aromatherapy and have Chansey tank a hit, which basically wastes a turn and leaves you set-up bait, which means Rest is sub-optimal. Furthermore, Volt Switch isn't entirely necessary on Forretress, as Magnezone and Wobbuffet are both uncommon. Running Toxic Spikes allows you to drop Toxic on Chansey, and perhaps run Stealth Rock on her instead of Arceus-Grass, allowing for an extra coverage move (Grass isn't the best for mono-attackers). Lastly, Custap Berry could be used over Leftovers to ensure that you get off a Rapid Spin or extra layer of Spikes/Toxic Spikes at low health.

Even though Giratina-O has a nice ability and higher offenses, for a stall team, I think you should run Giratina > Giratina-O. This is because obviously Giratina has better defenses, but because Giratina has access to passive recovery. This is huge! Giratina-O is easily worn down over time, and seeing as you're not really attacking with Giratina-O anyway, I think Giratina has more merit in this situation.

Lastly, as a cleaner, after phazing the opponent's team and dealing heavy residual damage, you could use either Scarf Terrakion (which has already been suggested) or perhaps a Scarf Palkia, as you lack a speedy revenge killer.

All right, hope this helped! Short on time so I may post some more later.

Hey. Nice team, you seem to be very weak to Zekrom, Banded or Mixed Zekrom can tear apart your team when used correctly. I recommend Will-o-Wisp on Arceus instead of Stealth Rock and Flamethrower over Perish Song because Forretress is very annyoing towards your team. Will-o-Wisp will allow you to take care of most of Zekrom's sets putting aside Scarfed(Which you got Forry for that) and Hone Claws (Which is uncommon). Also I would like to use another EV spread to be able to outspeed Adamant/Modest Base 90 Pokemon, such as Groudon and Kyogre. No need to run that much speed since you're running mono attacker.

Arceus:

Arceus-Grass @ Meadow Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Judgment

I prefer Judgment because of Manaphy.

Use Stealth Rock over Seismic Toss on Chansey.

Also change Giratina to it's Alternate form since I don't see Origin playing a special role on your team (Since you're running Double Shuffler power doesn't really matter).

I would also like to suggest another Lugia set, works better against Rayquaza as well as other set up sweepers.

Lugia:

Lugia @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Whirlwind
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Roost

This set is the best for Lugia imo. Ice Beam helps you counter Rayquaza as well as Skymin, which is a common weakness to stall teams. 16 Speed EVs for outspeeding Adamant Mamoswine.

On Forry, run Pain Split over Rest and Toxic over Volt Switch (For Opposing Lugia and Calm Mind Arceus).

Cool team. Good luck :]

The team has been edited, the changes are in bold. Thanks again to everyone who rated my team. I am still testing Giratina-A over Giratina-O and the bulkier Lugia spread, the results have been positive so far. Expect more changes soon :)

Sorry for the double post. After testing the suggested changes, I agree that Giratina-A is superior to Giratina-O in this team as Lugia and Arceus both already deal with Groudon, Arceus-Ground and the rare Hippowdon, while Ho-Oh is only really breaking through Giratina if it is the last pokemon (which are the original reasons for choosing Giratina-O over Giratina-A as a Substitute from Ho-Oh will rarely survive a Dragon Tail coming from Giratina-O). As for Lugia, I have altered the EV spread to outspeed Garchomp but kept the moveset the same as it has performed well for me so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)