ORAS NU Immortal Smoke (Peak #31 on Suspect Ladder)

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hello all! I've been playing NU for about a month or so now, but in that time It has managed to become one my favorite metagames to play. My first serious attempt at laddering was right at the beginning of the Typhlosion/Cameruptite suspect test, and because of that I wanted to build around something that could take Typlosion's powerful fire attacks and boost them even further. This team is the final result of trying to build around that concept. Enjoy ^-^

Tha Squad

Nue (Liepard) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt

My first weather setter and for the most part, the Pokemon that I usually end up leading with. Overall a pretty standard set for weather teams with max speed and hp to set up sun as fast as possible while also possibly living a hit to set up sun again later in the battle. Knock Off for strong stab + utility of removing important items, U-Turn to pivot out as needed. The last slot is where I start to deviate from the norm, with Taunt over something like Encore or Thunder Wave. I chose Taunt because otherwise, the team has no way to stop hazards from getting up. So in most cases I lead with this for that reason.

Satori (Exeggutor) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Psyshock
-
Giga Drain/Subtitute Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Ahh this was my favorite Pokemon to use while I was fine tuning the team simply because most teams don't have more than one or two checks to its combination of stab moves. This was originally a Choice Specs set, but I found the extra boost in power not worth being locked into a single move. Again this is a pretty easy spread to figure out, with me choosing modest over timid because I preferred the extra power with life orb. Chlorophyll gives it that tasty speed boost while Solar Beam and Giga Drain give eggy reliable stab, though Substitute can be considered over Giga Drain to help beat Sucker Punch users. Psyshock is used over Psychic since it always ohkos hariyama while psychic does 80% max and leaves me weak to its Knock Off. Finally We have Hp Fire to get a strong hit on steels like Ferroseed, Mawile, and Klinklang.

Mokou (Typhlosion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast/Extrasensory/Solarbeam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

One of the central points of the team, I needed a decently strong revenge killer that was also able to take advantage of the power boost sun gave, as well as being a decent fire switch in, and thus this set was born. Modest nature with Choice Scarf gives me a nice mix of both power and speed while giving me a powerful eruption to spam early game to weaken the opposing team so that Exeggutor or Sawsbuck can clean up after. Eruption is one of the strongest attacks into the tier, while Fire Blast is a semi reliable alternative should Typhlosion get weakened due to hazards. The last two slots are dedicated to beating some of its checks. The choice between the moves in the third slot mainly depends on what you feel like hitting the hardest, I played around with all three but I mainly stuck with Extrasensory. HP electric gave me a strong hit on one of Typhlosion's biggest checks, Mantine and was handy for hitting other water types but in the entire time testing I only ended up clicking it once or twice over my other moves.

Kaguya (Sawsbuck) @ Life Orb
EVs:
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Jump Kick

This set more or less stayed the same throughout my time playing with the team, as it's already very proficient at its role as my teams wallbreaker. An adamant Nature is used to make its moves that much harder to switch into under sun while still being able to break slower teams without it. Return and Horn Leech give it nice stab, with Horn Leech having the benefit of regaining hp for more life orb boosted hits. Swords Dance is amazing on this Pokemon and has helped me turn a game back in my favor several times. Jump Kick is to take advantage of Steel types that think they can wall me.

Tewi (Regirock) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
-
Rock Slide Stone Edge
- Explosion

The second weather setter that I utilize, Regirock also makes for a Pokemon that can consistently get up Stealth Rocks throughout the match. Though the lack of recovery can hurt, I usually only need it to get up sun and rocks once per game which it usually can do because of its high defenses which wall a lot of the physical attackers in the tier. Offensive pressure from the rest of my team makes it dangerous to try and remove either without losing a lot of momentum. Rock Slide is for decently strong stab with Explosion being useful for Pokemon that try to set up on me + keeping up momentum. Ev's are fairly standard and give me nice mix of attacking power and defensive prowess.

Meiling (Hariyama) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

My second answer to fire types and a decent pivot in general, AV Hariyama was added a bit later after I created the team since I noticed that like with most offense the team was really weak to priority, with Sneasel in particular being a huge threat to my team. Thick Fat and Bullet Punch help to alleviate that weakness, the rest of the set is just as standard. Close Combat has a lot of power when backed up by an adamant nature, Knock Off is nice for catching psychic types on the switch, and finally Earthquake helps to make poison type Pokemon an unreliable switch in to Hariyama.

Replaced with the following Victreebel set:

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth/Sleep Powder

An extra sun sweeper that gives my team an extra boost of power while also helping me to maintain offensive pressure versus opponents. Ev's are maxed out to give the best mix of power and speed. Powerful stab attacks in Sludge Bomb and Solar Beam along with Weather Ball can be a pain for most teams switch into safely, while the last move can be used to help Victreebel facilitate a sweep. Growth gives a strong boost under sun and can aid in wallbreaking along with Sawsbuck, and finally Sleep Powder can shut down any checks the opponent might have for Victreebel.

And there it is! I had a lot of fun playing around with this team and appreciate any rates or small adjustments that you give.

Nue (Liepard) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Satori (Exeggutor) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Psyshock
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mokou (Typhlosion) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Kaguya (Sawsbuck) @ Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Horn Leech
- Swords Dance
- Jump Kick

Tewi (Regirock) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Last edited:
Hey there!
Nice team you have here. Weather generally is a really useful way of getting reqs since games don't last very long (for better or worse)
As ever, there are improvements to be be made, but not many since weather generally isn't a play style where much can be changed in the first place :s

My first change would be Encore > Taunt on Liepard. The principle of this is to stop settup sweepers from ravaging your team and being annoying with priority. Taunt is useful, but without Encore, you will find yourself trying to fend of klinklang and Pawniard and struggling because about how much your not very bulky sweepers have to take from a Mon.

I will also suggest a Chlorophyll Sweeper Victreebel Sweeper > Hariyama. The main purpose of this is so that you have more offensive presence. Viccy is probably singlehandedly the best sun sweeper in the tier, but unofrtuanetly for it, that's where its viability ends. Hariyama means you waste sun turns pivoting into it and it can often just be a pit for momentum at times. And with weather offense, you generally want to waste 0 turns so you can sweep as soon as possible. Hariyama is good, but having the extra sweeper with the utility of growth can be the final push to win on the late game. You also already have flash fire typhlosion, so it shouldn't matter too much for that kind of weakness :]

Victreebel @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Growth

Hope these changes help ya out a little. But imo, the first one is more neccesary.
~HJAD

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey dude, sun is a pretty fun playstyle. But it is incredibly straight forward as far as setters / sweepers / glue mons are concerned.

HJAD nailed the two biggest changes, victreebel is incredibly important on sun solely for the fact that it can put something to sleep on the last turn that sun is up. HJADs set is alright but Sleep Powder > Growth provides much more utility as far as keeping momentum against teams that have a couple of weather answers and some Fake Out Pokemon.

Hariyama isn't necessary as you can just not explode with Regirock if you see a Fire-type and save it in the back as a switch in / setup sun again.

The one big thing I would suggest that HJAD missed is adding on Sunny Day > Giga Drain on Exeggutor which might not seem like a big deal. But having a 3rd sun setter can be huge.

Leremyju he has Regirock, its fine.

Hey buddy, solid run team you have there so nothing much to change. All the rates above are very good and should be implemented imo. However a few tweaks; I'd recommend Stone Edge > Rock Slide on Regirock with some extra attack EVs so you can 1HKO Xatu. It is really worth it if Xatu tries to get cheeky and switch in on Stealth rock.

Also I'd recommend using 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe spread on Sawsbuck as it outspeeds Choice Scarf Tauros (fastest relevant mon), outspeeds positive base 70's outside sun while having some bulk to survive Sneasel's Ice Shard better.

252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck: 187-221 (62.1 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 108 HP / 0 Def Sawsbuck: 187-221 (57 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Updated OP and importable with most of the suggested changes, thanks for the rates!

Leremyju Fletchling 2 strong, thanks for the inspiration for my next lord squad. NU isnt ready

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)