Hurricane Sandy

I go to college in northern Massachusetts, but my school is still open despite Governor Patrick declaring a State of Emergency...

C'mon, Sandy, we're counting on you! Just don't kill/maim anyone or their property.
He encouraged all schools to close, so that decision was made by your school. Pretty much all schools in Boston/Cambridge are closed. The only UMASS that I'm not sure about is Amherst. Tough luck though. Stay safe.

Haha, this is how people react in the south when it snows three centimeters.

Anyway, stay safe, everyone!

Soooo I'm currently in New London, which is one of the points where Sandy is supposed to hit hardest in Connecticut. Yayyyyy

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
man, it may be funny to joke and all about possible natural disasters, but seriously, i hope everyone in the danger zone is going to be all right.

that being said, when i was visiting my cousins in maryland during hurricane katrina (we weren't near enough to the water to feel anything but torrential rain and hail) it was pretty fun to run through the flooded streets and try and dodge hail. yeah, fun!!

seriously though, just spend the next few days wearing water wings okay??

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I live on Long Island, and there's a mix of cautiousness and people making light of it. I think we'll be alright though.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Last year when Irene passed us, the hardest hit place was actually in Vermont, so you folks further inland better stay alert. I expect we'll be losing power for a prolonged period this time around.

No school Monday! and most likely tuesday as well...as long as the trains are closed in the city we won't be going anywhere.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wait, how do you evacuate half a million people off an island.

Seriously, this sound like quite the endeavor, are the Helicoptering people out or something?
People aren't evacuating off, they're evacuating up. People are being moved to places with higher ground that are less likely to flood.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Will it be hitting Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh)?
Yeah, I heard that it was supposed to. My friend lives about an hour away from Pittsburgh and he said that they were calling for snow and 50 mph winds. He's up in the mountains, though. If you're down lower, I'd probably say you'll get some rain, then.

I'm in college in Central Jersey, and I'm just hoping we keep power because I have no food... No classes Monday/Tuesday but I still have to work :(

Governor of VA cancels all classes for all schools in the state, and a half-hour later the president of the university decides Va Tech gonna have classes anyway. Rock and roll.

I don't know how this happened, I was watching Sandy develop, not very closely, I'll admit, but for some reason I sort of didn't expect it to be anything major. I have no idea why I would think that now - I only realized yesterday night that this storm is massive.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm in college in Central Jersey, and I'm just hoping we keep power because I have no food... No classes Monday/Tuesday but I still have to work :(
Not supposed to start losing power until tonight around here, so a lot of the power outage time will be while you're sleeping. Large universities like that are usually higher on the priority list than regular neighborhoods so if you do lose power it will probably be restored more quickly than most. If you need water we can bring you some, haha!

Governor of VA cancels all classes for all schools in the state, and a half-hour later the president of the university decides Va Tech gonna have classes anyway. Rock and roll.

I don't know how this happened, I was watching Sandy develop, not very closely, I'll admit, but for some reason I sort of didn't expect it to be anything major. I have no idea why I would think that now - I only realized yesterday night that this storm is massive.
My school never was cancelling classes so I guess my school decided fuck the Governor. Including you guys, I can only think of 1 other Virginia school that doesn't have cancelled classes and I've already been to a class today

Shit yeah you cancel those classes

I thought that most everyone was just overreacting, but I saw an album of the flooding so far and it looks pretty bad already.

I can't believe they expect anyone to go to work or classes in this situation. I live in Altanta, a couple hundred miles inland, and the last time a tropical storm went through the area we still missed a day or two of classes!

Haha, this is how people react in the south when it snows three centimeters.
This is incredibly accurate.

The rain and wind are flaring up outside here in northeastern Massachusetts. I hope we don't lose power because that would be

don't wanna think about it

Wow, I should count myself lucky here. Its really not that bad, still have power and everything. WB, if you guys need shelter, you know where I am!

I live on the Long Island Sound in CT, they've issued an emergency mandatory evacuation for the majority of the houses in my town (not mine, my house is kind of on a hill). They've already cancelled school for us up through wednesday, they'll probably cancel thursday and friday.

It's honestly like armageddon over here, the entire town has been shut down for days. most people have left their houses and are living elsewhere. They've closed the highways in my area. I had to go to town to pick up some emergency supplies, and there wasn't a single car on the road, most stores are closed, and there's not a single person in sight. It's pretty frightening.

pookar

Banned deucer.
heh idk whats going to get hit harder, central jersey or NYC, but those were my only choices xD xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)