How often do you use profanity on a daily basis?

How often do you use profanity on a daily basis?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear at least once a day. Not that it's a habit. It's only because of the songs I listen to contain a modest amount of profanity.

Oh, and because nearly everyday, something bad/surprising happens to me. At least before the Christmas break. Lately, I swear only because of the songs in 21st Century Breakdown.

andrea

/me cresselias
I've never really introduced profanity into my daily life. I just think it's pointless... And rude, to an extent. (But, then again, I've always wondered where swear words came from and how they were originally classified as offensive...)

I've just never found a viable reason to do it, and I don't believe that it's something I want to clutter my life with. =/

Swearing makes people look and sound uncouth as well as morally degredant.
And using fake words makes you look ignorant.

Cunt and cock are the only words for genitalia that are really usable. Dick and pussy are both terrible words. Penis and vagina are not particularly pleasant either.

I use profanity all the time when i'm talking to myself or around my siblings. Other than that I don't use any at all. Hell, I don't use any kind of language much. I just don't talk. But when i do, i can control myself from being vulgar.

I've never really introduced profanity into my daily life. I just think it's pointless... And rude, to an extent. (But, then again, I've always wondered where swear words came from and how they were originally classified as offensive...)

I've just never found a viable reason to do it, and I don't believe that it's something I want to clutter my life with. =/

Actually, the etymology of swearing is quite interesting, I find; there are a number of books on the subject around. It's interesting in the same way as conventional etymology, but with the added bonus of cultural history and things like that, because a lot of words now considered to be profanity were once the common parlance/polite society speech.

andrea

/me cresselias
Actually, the etymology of swearing is quite interesting, I find; there are a number of books on the subject around. It's interesting in the same way as conventional etymology, but with the added bonus of cultural history and things like that, because a lot of words now considered to be profanity were once the common parlance/polite society speech.
Exactly- I mean, what defined words as swear words in the first place? Like, did someone just decide one day that a certain word was rude? Or was a word invented that was designed to be vulgar?

I dunno... I'm quite the analyzer.

If you're made uncomfortable by cussing, there's something wrong with you.
Uh, not fair man. Yeah you can say "they're just words!!!!!!!" but you can't act like society hasn't made them stand out. Some people were actually raised in places where that stuff is considered vulgar so I don't think you're speaking for everyone here... when stuff like that is discouraged it's really tough to act completely naturally when someone uses it. Personally I'm not some anti-cusser or something but I never feel the need to swear usually, and when people do excessively I usually find them boring.

Eh it depends on what's happening, if I'm at Wal-Mart working I'm most likely cussing under my breath about all the ignorant people and their stupid ignorant children. When a game pisses me off, yes I cuss, when I drive... I get mad... thus cussing incurs. I try not to, but I have a very easily angered nature.

I voted "depending on the situation", but it also depends on who I am talking to/with. When I am with my friends I swear frequently because I know they don't take any offence, not to mention the swear a lot more than I do. I don't swear when I am around my parents though as I try to sound polite...

Happy fucking new year everyone.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uh, not fair man. Yeah you can say "they're just words!!!!!!!" but you can't act like society hasn't made them stand out. Some people were actually raised in places where that stuff is considered vulgar so I don't think you're speaking for everyone here... when stuff like that is discouraged it's really tough to act completely naturally when someone uses it. Personally I'm not some anti-cusser or something but I never feel the need to swear usually, and when people do excessively I usually find them boring.
I just don't get how someone can be physically uncomfortable by a sound, unless the sound makes them think of something disgusting (i.e. the sound of something sticky being squished makes you think of a person being pulverized)...

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
I just don't get how someone can be physically uncomfortable by a sound, unless the sound makes them think of something disgusting (i.e. the sound of something sticky being squished makes you think of a person being pulverized)...
its because they were raised to think that way, that and the negative connotations the words have

Profanity is a huge part of American culture and frankly has lost its luster. Before, when someone cursed, it used to mean something, now curses are used almost as often as most greetings.

It's entirely dependent on my feelings. If I'm angry, frustrated, inpatient, etc, I tend to curse a lot, definitely when it's not necessary. When I'm in a neutral mood or very happy, I either have no want to or have superb control of it. On AIM around long-time friends, I tend to curse a lot regardless of how I'm feeling or what we're talking about.

Confirmed for swearwords

bitch
fuck
shit
cunt
cocksucker
motherfucker
asshole

Not swearword:

Crap
piss
damn
bastard
douche

get the fuck out:
firetruck

I swear to emphasize a point or in surprise which includes if I hurt myself. For example I had never cussed overmuch when I was among my friends but when I got smacked in the knee cap with a cricket ball I swore more than most people hear in a week. So it definantly depends on the situation.
btw first post. YAY

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone else noticed how this thread's pretty much zero discussion, becoming one of those "oh here is a Cong thread asking something of me so i will chime in" threads like the avatar thread? I have a feeling the point wasn't to figure out individual users' profanity habits ("no one cares what you do" but nicer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)