How do you play Pokemon in-game?

Amen.

I always just play through making sure to do the following:
-Examine every house
-Talk to every person
-Catch as many Pokemon as possible
-Raise a full team of Pokemon (screw that 1-3 bullshit. I play like a fucking man!)
-Don't give a shit about natures

That's how I played as a kid, and as they say, "Kids do the damned best things".
That's what I do. In-game I play completely different for about the first 5 or so play-through (you know, when its 'fresh'). First 3 play-through are balanced and I pick a different starter every time, and change my team around that. Then I do two mono-play through, picking challenging types (like grass for instance). After that is the only time I begin to breed for IVs, natures, egg moves, etc.

When playing a new game on my first play-through, I usually just catch whatever I want that looks good or cool. After playing a few times, I plan out my pokemon beforehand, and just catch them along the way, not caring about natures, EVs or IVs. Although if they have a total crap nature (Modest Magikarp for example) I'll catch another.

well, I don't remember playing the GBA games that much, and the original games were too long ago to really remember how i did them, so I'm just going to base this off of DPPt.
For all my runs, I didn't pay attention to nature, IVs, EVs, even abilities. I always go with a full team of 6 around the same level, and usually have some slaves, but i always have someone with surf, and sometimes others will have other HMs. I rarely have a flying type, so I don't usually have anyone with fly on my team. Also, for my movesets, I've never gotten fancy, just always gone with basically the strongest attacks i could get, and aside from a rare move like hypnosis, toxic or confuse ray i always had 4 damage dealing moves.

For the first time I played through, I just wanted to do it without a walkthrough or really much knowledge of the game, with 3 strategy guides and countless times playing through R/B/Y i pretty much knew where everything was, so I was ready for an experience i was unprepared for. I only occasionally would go to a strategy guide, mainly to find when a pokemon would evolve, or to get a map of the cave I was stuck in. (one where you had a partner to heal your pokemon so you couldn't black out, and i could not figure my way out of there. good training though lol).

Second time through I wanted to try something I'd always wanted to do, and that was raise all of my pokemon 10 levels before each gym battle (ie whoever was on my team needed to be at level 10 before the first gym battle, 20 before the second, etc.) Needless to say, it took a really long time, but was really easy to beat anyone. Also only time I raised a pokemon to level 100 without using the cheat for infinite rare candy (it was my Infernape). to determine who i would have on my team, i wanted pokemon that i'd never really used before, but though they were kind of cool.

Third team was my first with platinum, and basically did similar to my first team, except i had a better knowledge of the area and pokemon.

My fourth and latest team that I just beat the elite 4 with about a week ago was made up entirely of eevee-lutions, aside from Leafeon which was in my third team. I had bred a ton of pokemon (not professionally, just to get the species) in the 2nd game (which i traded my 3rd games pokes to) so I traded over my level 1 flareon/jolteon/vaporeon, 2 umbreon/espeon and 7 glaceon to my team to start with. For the most part, it wasn't too difficult.

My next team once I can borrow someone elses DS to trade them over I'm going to have a Dragon team (Nite/Mence/Chomp/Kingdra) along with Charizard and Skarmory (who isn't really a dragon). It'll probably be pretty easy but i've always liked dragons but never trained them with how late in the games they're available.

Oh, and I don't bother playing much after I beat the E4. I've never been the type of guy to defeat games 100% and after becoming champion I don't really see a goal to go for.

Question, though, does anyone try to win contests? I'd probably try if I wasn't terrible at making poffins.

RSE contests seem to be haxfests. I've played a bit of DPPt 'super' contests, but never really been all that interested. After all, it's blatantly obvious they're aimed at girls. I would do them for 100%, but they'd likely be the LAST thing I did, after completing the plot, Pokedex, and getting all Battle Frontier symbols.

When I play through the game for the first time I usually do the following:
- Get a team of 6 Pokemon as soon as I can (usually only from the first few routes). I usually have some idea of the Pokemon I want.
- I don't worry about Natures/EV's/etc. I really don't think they make much of a difference in-game anyway.
- Teach my Pokemon TM's if I come across them and I find that they're stuggling against normal trainers or if they keep getting taken out by the same Pokemon (like I'd give a Pikachu Brick Break/Dig so it can do damage to Geodude)
- Level them up fairly evenly but I train the Pokemon that would be effective against a certain Gym Leader on the other trainers in the Gym.
- Keep the same team throughout most of the game (usually until I can get the game's main legendary Pokemon and then I swap something out for it). My Pokemon are usually a few levels over the wild Pokemon and have better moves so swapping them out would be a waste.
- Be sure to fight all of the trainers and catch most of the Pokemon I come across, but I won't stay in one place just to catch a rare Pokemon unless I really want to use it on my team.

Sometimes I'll play through the game a second or third time to use different Pokemon that I can get early on.

When I play through the games for the second time I usually:
- Hatch 6 Pokemon in another game that I can't get early on and/or easily in the game and teach them all the HM's I'll need and any TM's and egg moves for coverage (like a Bagon with Dragon Claw, Flamethrower, Hydro Pump, and Brick Break)
- Sometimes I'll breed for a decent nature and give them vitamins.
- Trade them into the game the first chance I get and level them up the same way, without making any substitutions in my team.

I've played through Saphire quite a few times like this using odd Pokemon like Spinda. When I get Heart Gold, I plan on catching Pokemon I haven't used in a playthrough before like Zubat and Yanma. After that, I'm considering trading the Lv. 1 Dialga/Palkia/Giratina back to Platinum to do a run through with them (and 5 other Pokemon) since I've always wanted to playthrough with a low level legendary. (I have played through Saphire with the Colloseum Jirachi but this seems more fun.)

Edit: @ contests, I personally liked ADV contests better because of jamming and chaining one move to another (even if that did lead to being able to use Curse and Destiny Bond to win every contest). DPPt contests to me just seem like 1) Put a bunch of random stuff on your Pokemon. 2) Make your Pokemon participate in the most boring game of DDR ever. 3) Spam moves that will get you 4 hearts for the specific contest. I did try to do contests the first time I played through each game, but after that I just waited until the end of the game to beat them all and get the star on my trainer card.

- I usually have 4 pokemon in my main team (eg. Infernape, Staraptor, Octillery and Roserade - enough to kill everything). I try to avoid legendary and i always try to use different Pokemon every time i restart. It's in-game, not competitive, most pokemon would do fine.
- I can't be bothered with natures, and i don't EV train. I only care about abilities as it's pretty easy to check.
- I don't speed run - it's boring.
- I talk to everybody, defeat every trainers to maximise EXP gain.
- I don't usually give good TMs to my main Pokemon team as i think it's a waste.
- Contests are okay, but i get sick for a while.
- I catch as many pokemon as possible - you never know what you need to breed later!

- I don't give a shit about in-game natures
- I don't plan my team (although I always seem to end up with Infernape / Houndoom, Staraptor, Torterra / Roserade, Empoleon / Gastrodon / Floatzel / Octillery / Gyarados and Bibarel as an HM slave
- Level them up fairly evenly, with the starter always being a couple of levels or so ahead
- Use TMs where appropriate (I don't play on Wi-Fi, so I don't care about using my Grass Knot TM on Monferno, for example)
- I tend to catch as many Pokémon as possible, often in Balls that "suit" them (for example, Budew/Pachirisu/Buneary in Heal Balls, water Pokémon in Net Balls, bug Pokémon in Nest Balls, etc.)
- I never seem to use legendaries. Can't be bothered to use them after getting through the rest of the game without them
- I am often overleveled
- Don't bother with Contests until after the main quest / if I find a good Pokémon on the GTS

Couple of weird quirks, but it's a pretty standard run-through.

Ah yes, contests. I actually have beaten the master rank in all the contests in emerald. It wasnt that hard after the berry master came to town. I wasnt into battling then, so I just leveled up my pokemon like hell, and any good combo of 2 moves will win you a contedt. hell, my ditto has beaten the hyper rank.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I get starters, find the first Pokemon with intemidate (for all gens that applies) and catch 5 of them and then your off! get hm pokes you need, yes I'm no fun

Well, I've played every generation and took a different approach for each one.

Blue: I was about five at the time and naturally didn't know anything about Pokemon, and it hadn't gotten super huge yet so there was no Serebii (I did use Pojo at one point). This means that I couldn't really plan anything, so it basically was time for a level 70 Blastoise by the time I reached the Elite Four with a couple HM pokemon. I was fortunate to realize that HM moves could not be deleted early on and decided I wouldn't put them on pokemon I valued. I ended up exploring Blue thoroughly because the series was so new.

Gold: By now, I'm a seasoned ingame veteran who knew his type matchups and how to hold his own against any CPU. I had a vague plan going in. I wanted a flyer, my water starter, something steel type (so new at the time), and a fire type. The rest would be decided on the fly. I also vowed to raise them evenly, but couldn't bring myself to do it and ended up with a level 60ish Feraligatr, a Ho-Oh, A level 30 Scizor, a Pidgeotto, and the Red Gyarados. I also used Raikou when I acquired him. I searched every nook and cranny of Gold just because Pokemon still had a novelty factor to it, and finding out things that happened since the events of RBY.

Ruby: By now, I'm a little older (I'm guessing 11 at the time) and a little smarter. A water starter was a must, but I decided not to plan except for type balance. I also promised myself to raise them evenly, something I was successful in doing. I defeated every wild pokemon and trainer that came in my path and ended up with a team of high 50 and 60 pokemon, one of them being Groudon. However, this was the first game where I did not push the ingame as far as I could. I guess the game was getting a little old.

In between 3rd and 4th gen, I went on a hiatus because the ingame was becoming boring as hell.

Fast forward about 4 years when I'm 15. I got the itch to play, and I also remembered the competitive freaks at Smogon and decided I wanted to play some competitive Pokemon. I went out and bought Diamond and decided, fuck this, let's get it done with. I took Infernape because someone advised it was the best starter for competitive purposes, and then caught an Abra. Then I got myself a Bibarel and Skarmory through the GTS to use all HM's (I did my research). From here, I just plowed through with my Infernape and Alakazam, who were level 83 and 76 respectively by game's end.

And playing Platinum on my flashcart was seriously not an appealing idea to me, so I traded over a level 60 RNG Abused Mixape, Vaporeon, and Scizor. Beat the game in 9 hours, majority of which were spent trying to get my pokemon to obey me.

However, with HGSS coming up, I think I'll play the ingame properly. The nostalgia will be enough to get me by I think.

... Eh-heh, I do feel a li'l silly in saying this, but since 4th gen, I usually play the games in a style of a pseudo-fanfic.

Okay, that doesn't really explain it. In a sense, I usually make a joke on the story, since most of the time, it's often bare enough that I could simply take liberties of the silent protagonist's little personality, and transform into one that's pretty silly.

An example would be how in Pearl, the male character's the shounen-obsessed Bradley, wanting to take down gym as fast as he can, and destroy his best friend (In a friendly-chummy manner), and... Honestly doesn't see why Team Galactic is bothering with him and his life.

In Hg, I'm picking the chick, who's going to star in a role of, well, being similar to Marth in Fire Emblem.

So, erm, now you know, I'm a REAAALLY ridiculous Pokémon player, and stuffs. ;^^

I "create" a level 5 Sableye and a level 5 Mawile with appropriate Egg moves. They are my starters, and will be all I use in battle throughout the game. I'll have 3 to 4 HM slaves, and maybe some kind of wall for when I need to revive Sableye and Mawile.

The first run I usually (try to) exlore every area, talk to everyone, and visit all houses, while raising my starter and 1-2 others. In all subsequent playthroughs, I only visit the necessary places.
I don't know how often I've played Silver up to beating the E4, but it's sure to have consumed quite a bit of my life (....sad? hell naw, ph34r my level 100 Gatr!). My favourite run was getting an early dratini at the game corner, and soloing the game with it (owning Lance with my own Dragonite was particularly satisfying).
As for HG, I plan on using the following: Totodile, Cyndaquil, Pidgy (nostalgia to the max), Mareep, Togepi, Magikarp, Rocky (the Onix), and my beloved Dratini.

Volmise

.:The Firefly Light:.
is an Artist Alumnus
The way I play is a tad bit standard, yet I sometimes fly off the handle and do things my own way. For my starter I'll always pick the grass one. And then I absolutely have to have a Pokémon who can Fly and one who can Surf. After that I'll pick up whatever else I happen to like.

In my first playthrough of a game I will talk to every NPC, hunt for every hidden item, catch every Pokémon that pops out at me and even go out of my way for small side quests (Unown, etc.). Basically I take it slow and try to do everything, which is (in my opinion) the ONLY way to get the full enjoyment out of the games.

I don't mind teaching my Pokémon 'good' TM moves for in-game use since I always get the sister version of the game to speed through for items that I need. (You are a bit obsessed when you gather up 10 Stealth Rock TMs in a day.) Could care less for natures and EVs for my ingame team. I go with the flow for those guys, and even when my boxes are stuffed with competitive Pokémon and random 'trophies' (Shinies, events, etc) I will still hold onto them.

My teams are a bit..awkward compared to most other people. Like I said before I ALWAYS pick the grass starter, and must have a surfer and flyer. As of the current generation all of my teams are as follows:

Blue/Leaf Green: Venusaur, Raichu, Persian, Espeon/Flareon (Depending on the gen), Dewgong, Aerodactyl

Gold/HeartGold: Meganium, Slowking, Miltank, Murkrow/Honchkrow, Heracross, Misdreavus/Mismagius

Emerald: Sceptile, Gardevoir, Flygon, Kecleon, Politoed, Shiny Minun (Absolutely lucked out on that one. :D)

Pearl/Platinum: Torterra, Luxray, Crobat, Rapidash, Vaporeon, Lucario

And to be honest, with my rag-tag teams of Pokémon I've never had any trouble ingame. Challenges, yes, but never anything so hard as to make me rage or go into a fit over the games.

well with the japanese soulsilver i just rushed through with typhlosion, but when it's a game i can understand i take my time and make a well-balanced team of six (try to avoid hm slaves when i can) that can cover most types well (the pokemon have to be cool too!) and just go slowly

Also, I like to pick the girl trainer and pretend all the people she battles along the way are trying to rape her. The trainers said some pretty suggestive things in FRLG and a lot of trainers end up saying funny things in this context. Anyone else? No?

I usually play through with regional Pokemon, and then after beating the Elite Four and a new area / region is unlocked I assemble a new team, maybe keeping one Pokemon. I like to just pick the team as I go, too - I ended up with a Chimecho in my last Pearl team because it seemed like a fun idea at the time.
After everything else is done I mainly just have a team including things that are handy, like a Camerupt and something that can fly.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to enjoy the game as much as possible. I prefer to play on ROMs nowadays, and hacks that offer a difficulty setting that challenges me.

I venture through any version with three to four Pokemon. I take in as much of the story as I can, and I will be very patient with what I plan to use throughout the game.

Depending on its nature, I may opt to recapture and release the one I caught previously. But I don't care for IVs, nor do I EV train. However, I will try to use the ideal member in my team to faint the enemy Pokemon that will offer the EVs in the stat that mine would benefit from.

Well for me I just look up the pokemon with the best natural movesets and then use those pokes since I dont like using non renewable TM's in the story.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to enjoy the game as much as possible. I prefer to play on ROMs nowadays, and hacks that offer a difficulty setting that challenges me.

I venture through any version with three to four Pokemon. I take in as much of the story as I can, and I will be very patient with what I plan to use throughout the game.

Depending on its nature, I may opt to recapture and release the one I caught previously. But I don't care for IVs, nor do I EV train. However, I will try to use the ideal member in my team to faint the enemy Pokemon that will offer the EVs in the stat that mine would benefit from.
Sorry for the stupid question, and I'm not even sure if I'm stepping out of the bounds of the forum rules but--

there are roms with difficulty settings?

The re-play the game, I usually try to set a challenge, currently in LG I'm trying not to evolve any pokemon. IF the challenge is broken, well nothing is done :P

A few things I've stuck to since RBY and some others I've just picked up:

When my brothers and I all played heavily up till GSC we each picked a type we wanted to start with. Mine was Water so naturally I had Squirtle and Totodile as my starters. Nowadays, since I've picked the game back up and no one else has(they all miss the old days), I pick who I want. I stuck with Squirtle for FireRed for nostalgia purposes, but chose Chimchar when I picked up Platinum(will most likely stick with Totodile when I get HeartGold). We also picked the specific versions we'd stick with so it'd be easy for us to trade since there was no Wifi back then(I picked Red, Gold, etc.).

Usually, when I play a remake, I pick the same pokes I had the first time I played. But now I'm making sure I don't do that. I also try to pick all the pokes specific to that region(ex: Johto only, Sinnoh only, etc.). I might switch up at HeartGold and expand to picking what's in the new JohtoDex, but nothing will be something I've run with before except for the starter.

Other than that, I've always got 6 pokemon and 1 HM slave in the box. I never EV train or concern myself with IV's until after the main game, though I may EV train a poke if I come across it and it has good stats/nature. I've considered using ony pokes of certain natures that match my own personality to give more of a personal feel, but it's just something I'm playing around with in my head

well me and my bro along with my good friend have been competitve with pokemon since G/S/C games 10 years ago, and funny thing is all 3 of us still are. we just enjoyed the game catching pokemon we thought were cool or strong and of course our favorites like for me i always had a Nidoqueen in my team and my friend always had a Nidoking. then after defeating the E4 geting the kanto badges and beating red i had a team like Feraligator, Nidoqueen, Scizor, Alakazam, Tyranitar, Pidgeot around 80-90's. soon after me and my bro would go over my friends house and send our pokemon into his Pokemon Stadium for the N64 and battle it out for first place. we keep doing this with every pokemon game that followed we dont care for EV's, Iv's, Nature or anything like that we just try to enjoy ourselves. if we get a pokemon like a wild garchomp with a lax nature then thats what we train.

Worst mistake I ever made with pokemon was asking a friend if he wanted to race to the end. Totally ruined it for me.

traditions I have had for a long time are
-catching every pokemon I think is awesome
-catching every legendary and never using them, I always felt like they were trophys, not tools
-accidentally turning one of my favorite pokemon into an HM slave, and regretting it every time
-never catching multiples of pokemon, unless it is to evolve them into different forms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)