HGSS Megaspeculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I remember it at least, it was a hold item that activated at the beginning of the battle, and then was gone. The reason this stands out to me so much is because I used mine, then was bummed out when I later discovered that there is only one in the game.

I may be wrong too though :P I think Bulbapedia only has a short entry on it.

Bologo: As far as I remember, Berserk gene wasn't just 1 time use in GSC, so if the mechanics hold, it'll be a awesome for purugly.
If that's true, it is in the new games, and there's no exception to the ability (that's impossible right?) purugly would be absolutely ridiculous.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, well I've tried looking at more sources on Berserk Gene, and it's honestly left me even more confused as to what this item actually does...

There are some sources that say it's a one-time use, but a lot of other sources just say it raises attack, and don't mention how many times it can actually be used, though it probably is a one-time use. There are also some sources that say it doubles attack, but some that say it maxes it. I personally believe the doubling attack more, but I'm really not sure. I'm not going to discount the possibility of it maxing attack though, especially since there's only one in the game (though I'm not sure how fair it is for Smeargle to pass that boost, or for Purugly to fuck shit up with it).

EDIT: Thanks for the confirmation metfan. Does it say anything about doubling or maxing attack?

Ok, well I've tried looking at more sources on Berserk Gene, and it's honestly left me even more confused as to what this item actually does...

There are some sources that say it's a one-time use, but a lot of other sources just say it raises attack, and don't mention how many times it can actually be used, though it probably is a one-time use. There are also some sources that say it doubles attack, but some that say it maxes it. I personally believe the doubling attack more, but I'm really not sure. :S
I was reading my Crystal guide cuz I got bored and its a one time use item. Confirmed this after reading it cuz I was confused on it also lol. Pretty useless item imo.
Also have my team planned out.
-Feraligator
-Ampharos
-Dragonite(ES hopefully)
-Blissey
-Dugtrio
-Umbreon

Seeing Lugia or Ho-oh following you around would be pretty cool. Magikarp would be hilarious!!*flop*Magi*flop*karp*flop*
metfan*~*

Although I do like Purugly, I doubt that Berserk Gene will be included. Why should it be? It was just a random item found in Cerulean iirc. Not exactly worth adding in the middle of a generation (and therefor making the item untradeable to previous games).

I also doubt Pokemon that aren't your starter will be able to follow you. It would look stupid having a Steelix sprite and a Hoppip sprite looking almost the same size as they follow you. Not to mention Steelix slithers, which is another reason against all Pokemon following you; different Pokemon move differently. Some fly, some levitate, some walk, some slither, some swim, some hop, some don't move (cocoons), some teleport. It'll be Amity Square style or starters only.

I'm interested to see how the Red Gyarados' overworld sprite will be handled this time.
Why should that matter? Typhlosion moves entirely different from Meganium, and Feraligatr as well. The same can be said for the base forms. I really don't think locomotive styles would be restricting them, maybe just allowing only you starter.

Berserk Gene is an interesting idea, it was always my favorite item to use through I always saved before using it because I knew there was only one in the game. I thought it was the key to getting into Cerulean Cave or something...I always thought it was the 'ultimate' item. Like how Master Balls were the 'ultimate' ball XD

Purugly would rock if Berserk Gene was included...

In Platinum, Torterra and Happiny are the same size in Amity Square. So what's your point of Hoppip and (insert x large Pokemon here) being the same size?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
There are some sources that say it's a one-time use, but a lot of other sources just say it raises attack, and don't mention how many times it can actually be used, though it probably is a one-time use. There are also some sources that say it doubles attack, but some that say it maxes it. I personally believe the doubling attack more, but I'm really not sure. I'm not going to discount the possibility of it maxing attack though, especially since there's only one in the game (though I'm not sure how fair it is for Smeargle to pass that boost, or for Purugly to fuck shit up with it).
As soon as the Pokemon holding the Gene is sent into battle he instantly gets a +2 Atk boost but becomes confused. The item is then used up and vanishes forever. It was found in the river by Cerulean Cave and considering it's name and powerful effect it was probably something related to Mewtwo.

Item----Description-------------------------------- Location
Berserk-Gene Increases attack by 2 levels, confuses-Cerulean City

Straight out of Nintendo Power's Crystal guide.

Why should that matter? Typhlosion moves entirely different from Meganium, and Feraligatr as well. The same can be said for the base forms. I really don't think locomotive styles would be restricting them, maybe just allowing only you starter.
It matters because while they may do walking overworld sprites for 9 Pokemon (starters and evolutions), they will most likely not do it for 500+ (different formes). It might be Amity Square style if we are lucky. They'd pick Pokemon that make good overworld followers. Arcanine? Yes. Metapod? No.

And Pokemon size does play a factor. Torterra being the same size as Happiny was fairly stupid. However, Torterra is slightly understandable. What about a Wailord following you? What about the weather trio of RSE whose overworld sprite has been shown to take more than one space? Same goes for many D/P legends.

Well seeing that my Pokemon Silver's battery has yet to run out I'll check out how exactly the Beserk Gene is used.

And to be honest im 99.99% sure that it wasn't pinch because I always had it on my Shiny Gyarados.

It was consumed, Exclamation Point. I am quite positive that Berserk Gene was was used up. The only reason mine never ran out was 1) I cloned several, and 2) I mostly used it on Pokémon Stadium 2, so it was never consumed permanently.

Where's havoc when you need him!? He could settle this dispute!

EDIT: Bah, I misread it what you said. As Lee pointed out, it wasn't used in a pinch.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I took out my Silver and picked up the Berserk Gene. The moment I sent out somebody with it, Attack rose two levels and the holder became confused. It's used up after.

So yeah one time use unfortunately.

Well, that is still a pretty incredible item and I hope they do include it.
AFAIK, only the following Pokemon get access to the Recycle + Own Tempo combo: Slowbro, Slowking, Spinda, Grumpig and Smeargle.

Grumpig has awful Attack whilst Spinda is just awful in general, so they're out as far as competitive viability is concerned. Smeargle gets an instant Swords Dance but would usually need Sash or Salac Berry to do its job so it's a difficult one. That leaves Slowbro and Slowking, who would gain Swords Dance+ whilst sacrificing an item. They would also need Trick Room to sweep though, at which point the moveslot syndrome makes its viability questionable.

So from a theorymon perspective I'm skeptical as to how useful the item would be in the competitive environment, but hey, it's only theorymon....

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Smeargle gets an instant Swords Dance but would usually need Sash or Salac Berry to do its job so it's a difficult one
IF Berserk Gene is reincluded, Smeargle can get an instant Baton Pass to something right after the turn it switches in. Free unphazeable Baton Pass?

Smeargle @ Gene
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Substitute
- Ingrain

It won't, D/P/Pt's coding can't support it. Same goes for the Apricorn balls, they'll just have to use the new ones instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)