Help me build my team?

Hi all. I've posted on this forum once before but got fairly few results, so I'd like your advice on building my team yet again. Now, though I don't have any specific style or theme, I have a few limitations on my future team.
Firstly, I don't like legendaries. I know they're strong, but sorry, they aren't for me. I know that not all legendaries are Uber, but I don't want the OU ones either. That includes things like Latios, Thundurus, etc.
Secondly, the same goes for some of the high-powered, heavily overused Pokemon like Tyranitar, Salamence, Garchomp, Excadrill, Conkeldurr, Chandelure, Haxorus, etc. I know it limits my selections, especially if I want a team that is competitively viable, but the main point is to have fun and it would irk me to have Pokemon like that. It's not SO much the overpowered aspect, but just that I don't really like them so much. I might be willing to be flexible on this point.
Thirdly, related to two, I have to like my team. That goes back to Conkeldurr and things like that; they may be strong, but I hate them. Expect me to be annoyingly fickle on this point.
Fourth, I don't like to repeat items. I know, I know, I know, Leftovers and Life Orb are just BETTER than a lot of others, but it's just my way.
And finally, most importantly of all (and some of you out there will KILL me for this, if you haven't already) the team requires Weavile. It is my absolute favorite Pokemon, and I won't go without it.

With all that out of the way, this is my current idea of a team. As I say, there's no real theme, so each one just kind of fills a role.

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Jolly
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
Swords Dance
Ice Shard
Night Slash
Low Kick

A standard physical attacker, very fast and with Ice Shard as insurance, in the past with a Swords Dance it has managed to KO a lot of things. I know with Stealth Rock and Spikes Focus Sash is hardly reliable, but in the past with a Forretress to spin them away, it's been effective. This team is currently without a spinner, making this slightly more challenging, but so far I've been able to make due decently. This was mainly due to Whimsicott's Taunt, which I have since removed.

Carracosta @ White Herb
Ability: Solid Rock
Nature: Adamant
4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd.
Shell Smash
Aqua Jet
Stone Edge
Earthquake

A slightly bulkier set-up sweeper that can do a lot of what Weavile can't, though Weavile's speed is certainly a great boon. Carracosta is almost always able to get one Shell Smash (I've considered switching to Sturdy to guarantee it, but not much OHKOs Carracosta anyway) and then a sweep isn't difficult to pull off. I chose Adamant over Jolly because I think Weavile would be going after the frail, fast opponents, and if push comes to shove then Aqua Jet can fill in the gap too. Carracosta is also my only real answer to Excadrill, who really doesn't stand a chance if I get a Shell Smash.

Ferrothorn @ Rugget Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
252 HP, 48 Def, 208 Sp. Def
Spikes/Stealth Rock
Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Protect

A well-known physical defender not unable to stand up to special attacks either, made for setting up entry hazards and racking up residual damage with Rugged Helmet and Iron Barbs from weaker contact moves like Rapid Spin, which really adds up. Between Iron Barbs/Rugged Helmet and my entry hazard, foes tend to be at about 1/2 health to begin with! Leech Seed is useful as always, and Protect is for scouting Choiced moves and more Leech Seed and hopefully Burn (see two below) damage. I can't decide whether Spikes or Stealth Rock works better on it though.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Calm
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpD
Boiling Water
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt
Recover

I have a lot of both Fire and Fighting weaknesses in here so far, so Jellicent seeks to rectify that. Its high Special Defense gives it well known defensive powers, and its typing is good for a bulky Water and a Spin-blocker. I allow it to have quite low defense because it can let Ferrothorn take the physical blows (and deal hefty damage with Iron Barbs/Rugged Helmet) and hopefully my opponent will have a burn thanks to it or Sigilyph below. It works well as bait for weaker physical attacks like Payback to then hit Ferrothorn, but its various immunities are very useful in pivots, not to mention its power to Taunt.

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Timid
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Spd
Psycho Shift
Assist Power
Cosmic Power
Roost

I cannot believe how good this thing is. With Psycho Shift, it can shoot Burns out to anything it wants (bar Fire-types and Guts Pokemon) and then pop back to a bulkier Pokemon like Ferrothorn or Jellicent, who can take advantage of the lowered attack and residual damage. If I'm against a Special Attacker I tend to Cosmic Power first. If it's safe to stay in, Sigilyph can boost its defenses quickly, recovering with Roost, until Assist Power is pretty much unstoppable even without Special Attack boosts. Even Dark types won't stand in its way because the burn wears them out, so just about the only thing I can't deal with are strong Guts users like Conkeldurr, and random crits breaking through my defenses. Does the attack drop from a burn still apply to a crit? I know regular attack drops don't, but burns work differently, right?

Galvantula @ Life Orb
Ability: Compoundeyes
Nature: Timid
4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd
Thunder
Bug Buzz
Energy Ball
Volt Switch

Most of my team attacks from the physical side, and the only full-out attackers are physically based. Galvantula seeks to level the playing field and simply hit as hard as it can for as long as it can. It's best coming in against weakened opponents, because it doesn't want the foe to strike back. It's a head-on attacker, not bothering to set up in any way, so it's best suited against set-up attackers who it can pummel before they have a chance to counter. Although I don't want it switching in and out a lot because of its SR weakness, Volt Switch is there to help predict my opponent's switches and see which of my walls it's best to go to, if Sigilyph can set up, or if either of my other attackers has a better chance at a full sweep.

So that's my team as it is. I expect it to be torn apart and reassembled with better options by your suggestions, and I am fully open to them. Thank you for your time!

Well I think the first thing you need to do is make your mind up for team building philosophy. Do you want a unique, under-powered but functional team just to have dun with? Or do you want a serious team in which you expect to go places with? There are certainly times where lesser used and "non-legendary" Pokemon fit perfectly in a team, but you cannot push this preference above everything else if you wish to make progress. The advice I give you will to transform your team into a more legitimate contending team, not putting the unobtrusive elements you're fond of in the drivers seat.

Despite your apparent Weavile idée fixe, I will insinuate a much more practical alternative.

Mamoswine offers you analogous gamut, while providing supernumerary assets that Weavile lacks.

Running a standard Ice Shard - Icicle Spear - Stone Edge - Earthquake will do you much better than weavile's shoddy bulk, and lesser coverage.

I'll add more later.

Your Carracosta should have a stronger water type attack. Why? Half of your team is weak to fire type attacks, and thus you need a good waterfall to counter these fire types.
To solve your fire problem, replace galvantula with eelektross. It not only has a higher Sp.Attk, but doesn't have the secondary bug type to make it weak to fire types

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)