here's another gimmick set I've been thinking of using:

Haxorus@salac berry
Jolly
Mold Breaker

Substitute
Endeavor
Dragon claw
Reversal

Substitute and dragon dance until you're low on health. When it's time to bow out, use endeavor like a pseudo-explosion. That's the general idea anyway, though this could use some refinement.

here's another gimmick set I've been thinking of using:

Haxorus@salac berry
Jolly
Mold Breaker

Substitute
Endeavor
Dragon claw
Reversal

Substitute and dragon dance until you're low on health. When it's time to bow out, use endeavor like a pseudo-explosion. That's the general idea anyway, though this could use some refinement.
You missed out dragon Dance on your set, use over reversal or endeavor

I actually think this guy is really good, but thats just from battle subway experience.
Also, even though hes slower than a lot, hes still damn fast, for example faster than chandelure and dragonite and i think he can OHKO both with earthquake and outrage respecticely
Not sure about bulkynite, considering that at full health, they aren't weak to dragon moves.

good point. You are going to want ghost moves on that, but dragon dance is still a must because you'll want to be faster than whatever comes in (so you can pick and choose your endeavor)

Ech, my EV spread wasn't as successful as I would have liked. In battle tower, it seems to be 1ko'd or 2koed by a lot of things and doesn't OKO a lot of things with outrage after a single dragon dance. (vaporeon :/ ) Looks like I am going to need to invest in more attack or just go full bulky to try to take more hits.

I never would have thought that anything with 70+ hp and defenses would ever seem frail, but that one turn of setting up dragon dance just sometimes doesn't seem like it's enough...then again, I don't have the life orb yet. bleh.

Not sure about bulkynite, considering that at full health, they aren't weak to dragon moves.
Ah, but considering the Mold Breaker ability, it's usually a clean OHKO. Really unfortunate since Dnite is always the primary sweeper on my team.

As mentioned above, Mold Breaker ignores Multiscale and Sturdy. Abilities typically won't hinder Haxorus's attacks much.

I also think there's something to be said for Double Chop. It gives him a dragon STAB as strong as Dragon Claw that has added utility in its ability to hit through subs. If you're looking for a dragon move besides Outrage, I think it's the best option out there; if its accuracy was a smidgen higher it'd be flat out better than Dragon Claw, and I don't think the accuracy's THAT big a deal.

Not to mention with its attack stat, Haxorus is the one best suited to be using the lower BP dragon moves anyhow.

I also think there's something to be said for Double Chop. It gives him a dragon STAB as strong as Dragon Claw that has added utility in its ability to hit through subs.
Also (though I could be wrong) it's the same as say rock blast, icicle spear etc. Where either one or both hit's are capable of landing a critical hit.

I've been using CB Rivalry Haxorus with Tailwind support and I've been very pleased with the results. I put enough in speed to outrun Deoxys-S after Tailwind, max Attack, and the rest in HP.

I think people underestimate just how much this guy's Outrage hurts same-sex Pokemon. Anything that isn't specifically geared to take physical hits is getting one-shotted. Ferrothorn comes in thinking he's walling only to find out he's 2HKOed. Quagsire and Jellicent don't stand a chance; Hippowdon could survive (never fought one yet) but if he does, he's going to be crippled for the rest of the match.

For my other moves, I have Double Chop (very handy), Earthquake, and Brick Break because I don't know what else to put on there. I mean, really, the dragon moves are all you need because the sheer amount of power this guy exudes is amazing.

If memory serves I did something like 20-30% to a female Skarmory, which is really the only real counter to this flavor of Haxorus. I suppose defensive Jirachi and Metagross could survive as they remove the Rivalry boost, but they both get decimated by Earthquake...

I suppose defensive Jirachi and Metagross could survive as they remove the Rivalry boost, but they both get decimated by Earthquake...
But if they switch in on an outrage due to being locked you have to switch out giving them a free turn to set up.. Though I guess in the long run if you survive switching back in they will die to earthquake (providing they aren't behind a sub).

To be honest to date I've found every single Haxorus set to be completely gimmicky besides CBHaxorus, hes even too slow and fragile for LO. Instead of trying to sweep or outspeed with him, make it slightly bulkier and aim to smash things to pieces on switches. Hes usually fast enough to outspeed those slower bulkier Pokemon anyway but packs so much power with CB Dragon attacks that there are no safe switch ins besides a few select steels that are usually remedied.

As featured in Speed Is Fun, Till It Kills warstory CB Haxorus is nicely supported by Tailwind, or if you so desire, copious amounts of paralysis support (using stuff like Ferrothorn, ParaShuffler Nite, SDefensive Jirachi etc.) It does 2HKO Skarmory, right?

If he switches into rocks, he has a very slight chance of being 2HKOed (37.7% - 44.6% according to Smogon's calculator, Rayquaza was used with 229 Attack EVs to emulate Haxorus's maximum Attack stat vs "Physically Defensive" Skarmory). And that's just one hit! Considering he's gonna take a second hit of that before he Spikes or phazes or whatever, that's a huge bite for a resisted attack.

I think that with an Attack stat rivaling Rayquaza, I'm in agreement with Forsety. This guy isn't meant to sweep; he's meant to rip gaping holes in your opponent's defense. If you have any item other than Choice Band on this guy, you're doing it wrong.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I honestly have no idea why haxorus is so underused. Why does everyone say he's so bad? I think that he's one of the best lategame cleaners available right now.

People say that his speed sucks because he's outsped by hydreigon and latios. They can both hit him with draco meteor before he can do anything, so he sucks and should never be used. Do people look at him, think "rampardos" and move on???

Haxorus has 76/90/70 defenses, which are quite decent for something this fast and powerful. He has enough physical bulk to survive a weakish hit, and that's all he needs to set up.

His speed is, I think, really fucking good. He's faster than stuff like darmantian, kyurem and gliscor, and can outspeed the vast majority of the metagame after one dragon dance. With blazikens rear end fading into the distance, what can outspeed him? Hydreigon? Never runs timid, and sometimes not even max speed. Volcarona? Sure, but it could be bulky. Salamence? Eep!

Scarfers above base 95 speed seem to be disappearing. Genesect, hydreigon, landorus and garchomp are the only ones left from what I've seen. This means that haxorus has plenty of opportunities to sweep at +1.

His attack stat speaks for itself. It's the highest in OU. He's not rampardos or slaking either. He has that base 97 speed, manageable bulk, dragon typing and access to both dragon dance and swords dance. Hell, he even gets mold breaker of all things. Not truant or defeatist, Mold breaker. He can actually USE his attack stat without being hardwalled by four high OU pokes. He has no quad weakness like salamence does, he's neutral to mach punch unlike hydreigon, he has boosting moves unlike kyurem....

It seems like Haxorus has plenty going for him. He can break through anything not named skarmory, and looks badass doing it.

Also, why do people say that his movepool is shallow? He gets outrage, dragon claw, dual chop, dragon tail, earthquake, dragon dance, swords dance, taunt and a bunch of filler physical moves that are weaker than outrage when hitting SE. What else does he need? Fire punch? Aqua tail? Slack off? Extremespeed?

The dragon dancer is one of his best sets. DD/Outrage/EQ and Taunt/Dragon Tail/Dual Chop with Lum, draco plate or leftovers, jolly.

252 attack jolly has only one attack point less than adamant garchomp (393 - 394.)

Haxorus and rayquaza are the only dragons to receive both dragon dance and swords dance.

Haxorus learns outrage, dragon claw, dual chop, swords dance, dragon dance and taunt by level up. That's his entire competitive movepool bar earthquake and dragon tail, which he learns through TM.

His shiny colour is black. He shares this trait with rayquaza and dragonite.

His base stat total is 540, shared with kingdra, and the highest of all sub 600 BST dragons.

Only 5 fully evolved dragons have BSTs below 600, which makes haxorus 5th lowest. Below him is flygon (520,) altaria (490) and druddigon (485.)

Haxorus' prevo, Fraxure, could be usable in OU. It's stats are 66/117/70/40/50/67. His max attack is 366/549 (the same as jolly tyranitar) running adamant, (jolly is 333/499) and his max speed with is jolly 256/384 and adamant 233/349. His defenses are awful, but you can fix that with eviolite. He's gimmicky, but still better than druddigon. The catch? He can't learn earthquake! Brick break is off the list too, surprisingly, making dig his only option. Yuck.

Um... after one SD, he manages to 2HKO Skarmory with Brick Break, with LO. Combine that with Taunt and you can smash through him too. Just saying.

I have to say that I run Rivalry, but I think that the 2HKO is possible without it too.

And of course you can run DD and Taunt too and just set up a second DD in front of Skarmory. No trace of being walled, imo.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I see this bugger all the time on Random Battle. It's niche is definitely Mold Breaker in that mode.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh wow, really? That's cool. I do run taunt though, so I've plowed through skarmory before. I was talking about haxorus' neutral coverage with outrage and EQ.

People say his movepool is shallow because it is; just because two or three moves is all he actually needs to be good doesn't mean it's any less shallow! :D

ExtremeSpeed would be pretty badass coming off of 600+ Attack.

Also, I forgot to factor Leftovers into account when smashing Skarmory's metal face in, so it turns out that he won't be 2HKOed if he has them(assuming max HP and near-max Defense) barring a crit. Everything else is mauled.

Base 97 speed isn't terrible (not to say it's _great_ either), but honestly I'd rather use him as a face breaker than a sweeper. Once we get Genesect it's gonna look a lot less sexy, but that's a converstion for another day.

Did not know he got Swords Dance. That makes for quite the rapist. A +2 LO Rivalry Outrage vs Physically Defensive Skarmory does 65.6% - 77.2%. Where's your god now, Skarmory?

For lulz, here are more random calcs that you'll probably never see but show just how much of a monster Haxorus can be. All are assuming +2 LO Rivalry vs 252 HP, 252 Def, and a boosting nature:

45.6% - 53.9% vs Registeel, of all things
49.2% - 57.9% vs Forretress
51.7% - 61.1% vs Ferrothorn
50.3% - 59.3% vs Metagross
54.5% - 64.4% vs Jirachi
93.6% - 110.2% vs Hippowdon
106.8% - 125.7% vs Gliscor
116.8% - 137.6% vs Swampert

And remember this is assuming max/max meaning anything less than this is getting ruined. Hoo boy.

Oh wow, really? That's cool. I do run taunt though, so I've plowed through skarmory before. I was talking about haxorus' neutral coverage with outrage and EQ.
I read through the thread and found several posts about Skarmory walling him hard, so I just wanted to say it. Wasn´t specifically a reply for you, but no matter. I guess EQ is the more common coverage move - I just hate to lock myself into Outrage for removing Skarm.

I did forget to mention that I run Adamant, because he definitely isn´t my cleaner. I use him mainly midgame, to surprise walls with SD and weaken/kill them(no CB for the above reasoning about Outrage locking)

Ah, but considering the Mold Breaker ability, it's usually a clean OHKO. Really unfortunate since Dnite is always the primary sweeper on my team.
You're right, I thought Mold Breaker was its dream world ability(and thus, currently out of the equation), something I confused with Excadrill(whose dream world ability is mold breaker)

Unless DW Haxorus is released, and I'm dumb. I just remember reading that none of the new pokemon have had their dream world ability released.

People say his movepool is shallow because it is; just because two or three moves is all he actually needs to be good doesn't mean it's any less shallow! :D

ExtremeSpeed would be pretty badass coming off of 600+ Attack.

Also, I forgot to factor Leftovers into account when smashing Skarmory's metal face in, so it turns out that he won't be 2HKOed if he has them(assuming max HP and near-max Defense) barring a crit. Everything else is mauled.

Base 97 speed isn't terrible (not to say it's _great_ either), but honestly I'd rather use him as a face breaker than a sweeper. Once we get Genesect it's gonna look a lot less sexy, but that's a converstion for another day.

Did not know he got Swords Dance. That makes for quite the rapist. A +2 LO Rivalry Outrage vs Physically Defensive Skarmory does 65.6% - 77.2%. Where's your god now, Skarmory?

For lulz, here are more random calcs that you'll probably never see but show just how much of a monster Haxorus can be. All are assuming +2 LO Rivalry vs 252 HP, 252 Def, and a boosting nature:

45.6% - 53.9% vs Registeel, of all things
49.2% - 57.9% vs Forretress
51.7% - 61.1% vs Ferrothorn
50.3% - 59.3% vs Metagross
54.5% - 64.4% vs Jirachi
93.6% - 110.2% vs Hippowdon
106.8% - 125.7% vs Gliscor
116.8% - 137.6% vs Swampert

And remember this is assuming max/max meaning anything less than this is getting ruined. Hoo boy.
Never! ESpeed is under the sole proprietorship of Dragonite and to a lessor extent Rayquaza (out of the Dragons). This guy would be so broken if it got any priority (even Quick attack?!) since he has Swords Dance + Insane attack.

I've been using this guy with an Adamant nature and a Choice Scarf, and am quite pleased with the results. I've been running Outrage/Dual Chop/Rock Slide/Earthquake, with Mold Breaker as it's ability. Outrage decimates teams after resistors have been sufficiently weakened, and Dual Chop is a safer option for early in the battle, when you don't want to be locked into an attack without being able to switch, and allows him to revenge pokemon behind subs. Rockquake is pretty much coverage/filler, and increases the amount of things he can revenge by quite a bit.

Personally, I think running Brick Break on Choice sets is a worthwhile option just so he can catch balloon steels on the switch with a nice hit. Rock Slide is redundant because there are no targets he'd cover with Rock Slide that he couldn't already hit with Outrage.

I've been using this guy with an Adamant nature and a Choice Scarf, and am quite pleased with the results. I've been running Outrage/Dual Chop/Rock Slide/Earthquake, with Mold Breaker as it's ability. Outrage decimates teams after resistors have been sufficiently weakened, and Dual Chop is a safer option for early in the battle, when you don't want to be locked into an attack without being able to switch, and allows him to revenge pokemon behind subs. Rockquake is pretty much coverage/filler, and increases the amount of things he can revenge by quite a bit.
I run the same thing, and I agree, it's doing quite well for what I expect it to do.

I've never used a Mold Breaker poke before, and having Earthquake + Mold Breaker is amazing. (Though I guess that isn't Haxorus specific...)

Just for clarification, when people talk about using Dragon Tail in a moveset, I'm assuming it's to use on a predicted switch-in by the opponent? There was a post a couple pages back talking about outspeeding things after a DD or two and Tailing them out, I'm a bit confused, since Serebii lists Dragon Tail as having a -6 priority; is that correct? Or maybe I read that post incorrectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)