Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incorrect, Minccino learns Tail Slap at level 25 and by the time you evolve it you can easily fly back to the PWT and have it relearn whichever move you'd like.

Meanwhile, Stoutland (unless you take the time to collect shards and tutor it actual coverage moves [which will definitely take longer than farming for heart scales]) is left with Dark/Normal coverage moves, which isn't bad per say but definitely isn't anything to write home about either when you can't hit anything for super-effective damage. Sure it gets Surf and other special moves but that's subpar at best, and the former is really only useful for HM utility, which isn't even mandatory for most of the game.

Furthermore, Strenght should only be used if you need its HM usage, otherwise Return is better 100% of the times in the long run, which is pretty much always since the game hardly punishes you for not using HMs so you can free up an extra slot for something more useful, like if you need to teach it Surf & Rock Smash for whatever reason.

Anyway, I guess Stoutland is considerably bulkier, but Cincinno hits harder so it's a matter of whether one holds durability or offensive power in higher regard. I personally prefer the latter but that's just me.
When are bullet seed and rock blast learnt by Cinccino in gen 5?

Why is this? Is it because Minccinno can learn those moves but not Cinccino?
Exactly that.

Edit: I forgot it was Minccino that evolved into Cinccino and not the opposite. So, it's actually because Cinccino can learn those moves (via the Move Reminder/Rememberer/whatever), but not Minccino.

Sorry if that confused you.

Last edited:
Is there any combination of 4 or 5 types that is super effective against every pokemon or almost every pokemon in Ubers (not counting arceus formes, of course) ? If so, what is it/ are they ?
Thanks in advance !

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Anyway, since it's the weekend, I feel like writing a guide on Berries. I have a question before I go about writing it, however: After I finish it, can I post it or do I have to PM it to a moderator first?
Is there any combination of 4 or 5 types that is super effective against every pokemon or almost every pokemon in Ubers (not counting arceus formes, of course) ? If so, what is it/ are they ?
Thanks in advance !
First of all, don't use this as advice to make an Ubers team. Please take into account that some of the Pokémon here, like Reshiram, are rarely used in Ubers, while Pokémon like Latios, despite being in a lower tier, have viability there. With that in mind, let's proceed to the chart.
20160916_234123.jpg

Note: this image got rotated 90 degrees to the left for some reason, but anyway, each column represents a type and each row represents a Pokémon. I put an X in each type that hits the Pokémon in that row super effectively. So what types do we need?
  • Fire type is a necessity, because it's the only way to hit Genesect. Unfortunately, it's rather lackluster outside of this, only hitting Aegislash, Shaymin-Sky, Lucario-Mega, and Mawile-Mega.
  • Fighting type is needed to hit Kangaskhan-Mega and Arceus. It provides additional coverage on Dialga, Darkrai, Kyurem-W and Greninja.
  • Hoopa-U must be hit by either a Bug- or Fairy-type move. Since Bug only hits Mewtwo and co., Fairy is the superior option. It hits Mewtwo-Mega-X, Salamence-Mega/Rayquaza, Palkia, Giratina, Zekrom, Yveltal, and Hoopa-U.
  • Groudon-Primal must be hit by either a Ground-type or a Water-type (with weather/ability control) move. While at a glance Ground hits more Pokémon, many of them are already covered by Fire/Fighting type. Water also lets us handle Landorus, who could become a problem as well. So Water, our next choice, hits Groudon-Primal, Blaziken(-Mega), Ho-Oh, and Landorus.
  • Here's where we come back to Deoxys and Mewtwo. Since Bug doesn't hit anything else we haven't covered, it's a choice between Dark and Ghost. The two types are actually identical in terms of the new stuff they hit, but Ghost hits the already covered Mewtwo-Mega-X. Ghost, our next pick, hits Deoxys/Mewtwo(-Mega Y), Gengar-Mega, and Lugia. (Remaining: Kyogre(-Primal), Shaymin-Sky, Reshiram, Xerneas)
  • Poison is our next choice because it's the only type that can hit Xerneas and something else (Shaymin-Sky).
  • At this point, it's just Kyogre and Reshiram, who don't share a weakness. Grass is terrible in Ubers (only hitting Kyogre and Greninja) so let's go with Electric for Kyogre and Kyogre-Primal.
  • As I mentioned before, Ground type is super effective against a lot of the meta. Therefore, Ground is our last choice.
Recap: Fire, Fighting, Fairy, Water (with Air Lock/Primordial Sea/etc), Ghost, Poison, Electric, Ground. Sorry that this was more types than you wanted, and if you prefer you can take out some types (like Fire) that only hit one or two Pokémon.

That's all. I hope I answered your question!

Anyway, since it's the weekend, I feel like writing a guide on Berries. I have a question before I go about writing it, however: After I finish it, can I post it or do I have to PM it to a moderator first?

First of all, don't use this as advice to make an Ubers team. Please take into account that some of the Pokémon here, like Reshiram, are rarely used in Ubers, while Pokémon like Latios, despite being in a lower tier, have viability there. With that in mind, let's proceed to the chart.

Note: this image got rotated 90 degrees to the left for some reason, but anyway, each column represents a type and each row represents a Pokémon. I put an X in each type that hits the Pokémon in that row super effectively. So what types do we need?
  • Fire type is a necessity, because it's the only way to hit Genesect. Unfortunately, it's rather lackluster outside of this, only hitting Aegislash, Shaymin-Sky, Lucario-Mega, and Mawile-Mega.
  • Fighting type is needed to hit Kangaskhan-Mega and Arceus. It provides additional coverage on Dialga, Darkrai, Kyurem-W and Greninja.
  • Hoopa-U must be hit by either a Bug- or Fairy-type move. Since Bug only hits Mewtwo and co., Fairy is the superior option. It hits Mewtwo-Mega-X, Salamence-Mega/Rayquaza, Palkia, Giratina, Zekrom, Yveltal, and Hoopa-U.
  • Groudon-Primal must be hit by either a Ground-type or a Water-type (with weather/ability control) move. While at a glance Ground hits more Pokémon, many of them are already covered by Fire/Fighting type. Water also lets us handle Landorus, who could become a problem as well. So Water, our next choice, hits Groudon-Primal, Blaziken(-Mega), Ho-Oh, and Landorus.
  • Here's where we come back to Deoxys and Mewtwo. Since Bug doesn't hit anything else we haven't covered, it's a choice between Dark and Ghost. The two types are actually identical in terms of the new stuff they hit, but Ghost hits the already covered Mewtwo-Mega-X. Ghost, our next pick, hits Deoxys/Mewtwo(-Mega Y), Gengar-Mega, and Lugia. (Remaining: Kyogre(-Primal), Shaymin-Sky, Reshiram, Xerneas)
  • Poison is our next choice because it's the only type that can hit Xerneas and something else (Shaymin-Sky).
  • At this point, it's just Kyogre and Reshiram, who don't share a weakness. Grass is terrible in Ubers (only hitting Kyogre and Greninja) so let's go with Electric for Kyogre and Kyogre-Primal.
  • As I mentioned before, Ground type is super effective against a lot of the meta. Therefore, Ground is our last choice.
Recap: Fire, Fighting, Fairy, Water (with Air Lock/Primordial Sea/etc), Ghost, Poison, Electric, Ground. Sorry that this was more types than you wanted, and if you prefer you can take out some types (like Fire) that only hit one or two Pokémon.

That's all. I hope I answered your question!
Thanks so much bro! I think I'll choose Dark, Fighting, Electric & Ground since dark will give me STAB my pokemon can't learn any fairy type moves. I'll probably keep the remaining types handy on my second pokemon though. Thanks again, it looks like you put in a lot of effort.

1.How do you get those lines that go through the words in your post? Is that a good thing that you can add or is it like a mod edit or something?
Edit: 2. also, how do I make that orange box appear that has either someone else's post or something external in it?
3. How do I make a spoiler tag?
New to Smogon, sorry about all the dumb questions.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1.How do you get those lines that go through the words in your post? Is that a good thing that you can add or is it like a mod edit or something?
Code:
[s]this text here[/s]
becomes:
this text here
(There's also the struck-through S button at the top of the editor)

Edit: 2. also, how do I make that orange box appear that has either someone else's post or something external in it?
Code:
[quote]This text here[/quote]
becomes:
This text here
To get a reference to the post you're quoting, you need to press the "Reply" button at the bottom right corner of a post. Or you need to be really good at the BBcode system. This is how the code for this quote of your post looks like:
Code:
[quote="Cutefluffysheep, post: 6996242, member: 348970"]1.How do you get...[/quote]
Code:
[hide]Example text[/hide]
OR:
[hide="Example text"]Yes, example text[/hide]
becomes:
Example text

OR:
Yes, example text

No problems! Kudos to you for using the Edit button, many newcomers would make three separate posts instead (which is a big no-no).

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
1. Use the S button at the top. This is usually referred to as "strikethrough" text and is mostly used for humor. Example: I post on Smogon every day
even though I hate it.
2. You can directly reply to a post by clicking the "Reply" button on the bottom right next to the "Like" button and the forum will format it for you. For quoting parts of a long post or stuff from an external source, use [quote] insert quote here [/quote]. This looks like:
insert quote here
3. Use [hide]stuff [/hide] to make a normal hide tag that looks like this:
stuff

If you want to make a hide tag with a title, just use [hide=stuff]stuff [/hide]. It will look like this:
stuff

edit: n i n j a s

Thanks for all the help!

No problems! Kudos to you for using the Edit button, many newcomers would make three separate posts instead (which is a big no-no).
I've been a guest for a bit, seen enough people get reprimanded for that to know not to do it.

1. (now that I know about this I'll probably never use it)

2. Found the reply button;just used it above

3. This was probably my biggest question (I don't want to accidentally spoil something for someone who wants S/M to be a surprise)

On a separate note, why is double posting frowned upon so much?

Thanks for all the help!

I've been a guest for a bit, seen enough people get reprimanded for that to know not to do it.

1. (now that I know about this I'll probably never use it)

2. Found the reply button;just used it above

3. This was probably my biggest question (I don't want to accidentally spoil something for someone who wants S/M to be a surprise)

1. It's in the rules
2. You can just edit your post

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Mostly because it looks messy, but it also adds unnecessary length to a page. A post that has one line of text, and another line edited in, adds one text-line of length to a page. Two one-line posts adds the poster's avatar and signature twice, plus margins, borders, the "Like/Reply" buttons, timestamps, and even more buttons and boxes if you are a mod. In total several centimeters, while still only adding one line of content. Short posts get buried in the auto-generated stuff enough as it is, but when you spread a short paragraph across multiple posts, reading it turns into a bit of an exercise.

I guess it isn't so bad with one double post, but if everybody could do it, or somebody quadruple posts, it balloons the page without really adding anything to the discussion. That means you have to scroll more to find the actual content of the posts, which makes many readers simply do the scrolling and not the reading, skipping over consecutive posts entirely. A high page-length-to-actual-content ratio creates a worse overall impression of the forum, attracting fewer viewers and perhaps subconsciously turning people away.

So yeah, it's nice that you don't double post.

So, I made this post a while back:
Hey guys. I'm just wondering, what is the fastest Pokemon in the Battle Maison of Pokemon X and Y, if Choice Scarf is included?

I'm wondering to know how much I'll need to Speed EV train my Jolly Durant (perfect 31 Speed IVs) that holds Choice Scarf to still out-speed the fastest opponent that didn't boost Speed via moves. Am wondering so I can invest the remaining EVs into Sp. Defense. So, it's 252 on HP and then split between Speed and Sp. Defense, but am wondering what this split is like.
And got an excellent reply. But now I'm wondering, what is the fastest Pokemon in the Battle Maison of Pokemon X and Y if we do not include the Choice Scarf? That, plus how many Speed EVs would my Jolly Durant now need to guarantee and outspeed? I am working on a team that Tricks a potential Choice item away, so that's why I'm wondering for the scenario without a Choice Scarf.

Thank you very much.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

And got an excellent reply. But now I'm wondering, what is the fastest Pokemon in the Battle Maison of Pokemon X and Y if we do not include the Choice Scarf? That, plus how many Speed EVs would my Jolly Durant now need to guarantee and outspeed? I am working on a team that Tricks a potential Choice item away, so that's why I'm wondering for the scenario without a Choice Scarf.

Thank you very much.
check this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/battle-maison-discussion-records.3492706/page-53#post-5265230
The fastest non-Scarf Pokemon is Accelgor, which hits 216 Speed, which Choice Scarf Jolly Durant requires only 20 Speed EVs to outrun. Could even go with an Impish Durant here (needs 124 EVs) since that might leave you with an extra point in Defense, but I don't have time to check rn and the difference will only be very minor anyway.

However, VaporeonIce had the same idea, but he still aimed to outspeed Garchomp3, because under some circumstances (like a lead KOing itself with Explosion) you might have to bring Durant back in again against a foe whose Choice Scarf you haven't been able to remove, which is not unlikely to happen against the Trainer that runs that set. His spread used 92 Speed EVs.

Thank you very much.
Accelgor 1,3, and 4 hits 216 speed which Durant outspeeds with 20 speed EVs and a scarf.

Thank you, Dutch and Toad.

I'm running a bit of a mix everywhere around that I thought of. My lead is a level 1 Prankster Sableye that has Taunt and Trick (main moves) as well as Protect and Rain Dance. The other two moves are there for some detail which I'll not go into as I'll talk too much. It holds Focus Sash.

The idea is to Taunt the opponent and then remove a potential choice item or Life Orb through Trick. Durant comes in with Entrainment. The opponent has one more turn of Taunt so it will not use Protect or such. Other moves are Guillotine, X-Scissor and Iron Head. It will outspeed the Accelgor. I take a single hit with a Durant that turn.

I switch onto Tyranitar which runs Protect, Dragon Dance, Stealth Rock and Crunch. Alternate the Protect and DD for +6 Att and +6 Spe. Then put out the Rocks to break through any Sturdy or Focus Sashes. The first Pokemon not getting hurt by the Rocks doesn't matter as we are still alternating between Protect and Crunch if they don't die. Do not Mega Evolve until ready to attack, to have 10 turns of sandstorm. The initial Sand Stream on the non-mega is to see if the opponent has a potential Leftovers or Black Sludge, though it doesn't matter that much.

Then Mega Evolve and Crunch the opponent. STAB Dark-type move that can hit any opponent. Rocks are up and sandstorm is up. The opponent will get wrecked. However, if by any chance Tyranitar somehow dies, then Durant will be there to go in and get the first turn. Why? Because out of all possible opponents, there isn't a single Choice Scarf user that won't get 1-hit by Tyranitar. When Durant comes in, there are two STAB moves to choose from (X-Scissor or Iron Head) or Guillotine if one is desperate and about to lose.

The only real challenge for the Tyranitar might be the HP and Attack invested Scrafty. Double resist and that High-Jump Kick is no joke. But this is all still on theoretical level. I'll be trying to push it through in reality very soon.

I have a pokemon who can only learn1 water type move (rain dance) and 1 flying type move- Aerial Ace. I want to teach it 1 of the 2 so that it can learn a z move of a type it doesn't have a strong attack of, which do you think would be the better choice ?
Note: If it turns out you can teach a pokemon any z move via hidden power I'll obviously do that instead of teaching it a suboptimal move or should I teach it hidden power even if it counts as normal to give it moves from 5 types instead of teaching it a suboptimal move. My pokemon can learn thunder though I mainly attack using Blizzard currently. (And have hailsetters on my team solely for improving it's accuracy)
Thanks in advance !

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a pokemon who can only learn1 water type move (rain dance) and 1 flying type move- Aerial Ace. I want to teach it 1 of the 2 so that it can learn a z move of a type it doesn't have a strong attack of, which do you think would be the better choice ?
Note: If it turns out you can teach a pokemon any z move via hidden power I'll obviously do that instead of teaching it a suboptimal move or should I teach it hidden power even if it counts as normal to give it moves from 5 types instead of teaching it a suboptimal move. My pokemon can learn thunder though I mainly attack using Blizzard currently. (And have hailsetters on my team solely for improving it's accuracy)
Thanks in advance !
Why are you even worrying about this? We have no idea how the Z moves work yet. Best to wait until the games are out.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
But this is all still on theoretical level. I'll be trying to push it through in reality very soon.
Welcome to Smogon, Subpyro, and best of luck with the Maison team! Just a note that if you'd like to continue the strategy discussion, our Battle Maison thread is the best spot for it. If you check out the writeups of teams on the leaderboard, there's a ton of discussion and analysis of Durant abuse techniques, which you may find very helpful. Plus, our Maison regulars are more likely to check that thread than this one.

Hey guys I need help, I really love greninja, by luck I have a shiny one (thanks Friend Safari). Now, I am challenging myself to only use shiny greninja (named him blast) as my main pokemon, like ash uses pikachu and I have other side pokemon for HMs and all.

So Im going with this
Ability : Protean
Moves : Dark Pulse
Hydro Pump
Toxic Spikes
Night Slash
Item : Focus Sash

So, is this a good greninja all over? I don't plan him for just competitive, I am using him in the main game, btw. So what should the EVs, and IVs be, and is there a better set?

But listen, I want to make my greninja "cool" meaning give me a moveset like this
A manipulative move (like toxic, hypnosis)
An intercepting move (like cut or extreme speed)
A ranged move (like water shuriken, dark pulse)
A good finisher move (hydro cannon, blast burn)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^If you're using him in the main game, don't bother with EVs or IVs, period. Unless you're doing an extremely limiting challenge run, any IVs are good enough for in-game, and EV training before the post-game sucks the fun out of playing really fast. You can spend the time looking for a decent nature (or at least, one that doesn't hinder Attack or Speed), but the hours you need to grind away for IVs are a complete waste of time.

Also, why do you have both Dark Pulse and Night Slash on the same set? Redundant coverage from different sides of the attacking spectrum, why? That's a beginner's mistake. Use one, drop the other. Sure, you'll meet some Pokémon whose defensive specialization means your chosen move will hit for lower damage, but you have other moves to hit those with.

I'd drop Toxic Spikes too. To set them up fully, you need two full turns, which you could better spend KO-ing two of the opponent's Pokémon. You're doing a solo run, which means your Greninja will be massively overlevelled, so there's little need to rely on passive damage. Besides, what are you gaining by using it? The only trainers with more than four Pokémon are the Champion and the Magikarp Fisherman. At most, you're spending those two turns Toxic-ing three Pokémon, and you'll be KO-ing them long before the Toxic damage starts paying off anyway. If you want to poison something, just use Toxic.

Lastly, I'd reconsider Hydro Pump. It has 5 PP, and an accuracy that wastes every 5th move in the long run. That's FOUR Pokémon you'll be hitting with your extremely useful Water STAB before you have to backtrack to a Poké Center to replenish PP. Use Waterfall or Surf instead, depending on whether you need a Physical or Special move. At any rate, don't go for Hydro Cannon either. It's a two-turn move, and most Water moves stronger than Water Pulse will outdamage it over two turns. Hydro Cannon is nifty to have when you want to finish your foe's last Pokémon quickly, but that's too situational to waste one of your only four moveslots on. Besides, in a solo run you'll be so overlevelled that you'll never really need the extra power that comes with Hydro Cannon anyway. In a sense, every move will be your finisher move when you're level 80 and the opponents barely brush the lower 50s.

Overall, I'd go for something like this:
- Surf (ranged/finishing move)
- Shadow Sneak (intercepting)
- Dark Pulse (ranged) OR Night Slash (intercepting)
- Ice Beam (ranged)
Drop either Dark Pulse or Ice Beam for Substitute if you want a non-damaging move.

As for your hold item... anything but Focus Sash, really. Focus Sash is useful when your foe is strong enough to KO you from full health. This will almost never happen in a solo run. Either, you'll have taken some damage beforehand, and Focus Sash won't activate, or the foe's strongest move will take a lot of HP off you, but not KO you, and Focus Sash won't activate. Lucky Egg will be the most powerful hold item in the long run, but if you somehow struggle you could go for Expert Belt or something. Honestly, even Mystic Water gets you a long way.

Hope this was of help!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
I want to make a guide to Berries in Gen VI. I have a few questions:
  • Can I use Bulbapedia as a source? Or do I have to get info directly from the game?
  • Am I allowed to just post it? If so, should I use a tag?
Thanks in advance.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I want to make a guide to Berries in Gen VI. I have a few questions:
  • Can I use Bulbapedia as a source? Or do I have to get info directly from the game?
  • Am I allowed to just post it? If so, should I use a tag?
Thanks in advance.
I am sure there was a thread about Berries somewhere, but considering so many people use the word Berry across the forums it is almost impossible to find. Even in Orange Islands alone there is a lot of usage of the word. What sort of Guide would you be wanting to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)