Half the Damage it Used to be - Offensive with Dual Screens

Uxie | Flygon | Golurk | Aggron | Emboar | Virizion​

Introduction

My first foray into the RU tier was with a Trick Room team. It lost all the time, so I decided to do something else.

I noticed that my biggest problem was that without Trick Room, my team was passive, and even with it the whole thing was susceptible to entry hazard damage, so I decided to build a team that isn't as bothered by entry hazards and is able to be active in battle.

Part of the team's composition is based on experience in battles. In other words, some of it was reactive decision-making. I'm open to some changes in the team, but I'd like to be able to stick to a style that is mostly offensive.

The Team

Brock...? (Uxie) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Memento
- U-turn

Uxie is typically the first Pokémon in battle, and he immediately sets up a screen chosen depending on what the opponent's probably going to use. In other words, Light Screen on Special Attackers and Reflect on physical. Once the first is up, the second goes too, and U-turn allows him to switch to another Pokémon without losing too much momentum and avoid being Taunt bait. Memento sacrifices Uxie when he's low on health, and it gives another Pokémon time to setup, and the Light Clay keeps the screens around longer.

Cool Shades (Flygon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Defog

As I mentioned before, I wanted to stop being destroyed by entry hazards, so I brought Flygon on board. She's resistant to SR and immune to Spikes, enabling her to switch in without being hurt, and while Defog gets rid of both side's hazards (but not my own screens), it also gives Draco Meteor and Fire Blast a boost. Earth Power is strong STAB and hits Electric types as well as Registeel, while Fire Blast OHKOs Escavalier and more quite easily. The one concern I have is that Draco Meteor forces Flygon to switch out, leading to a loss of momentum. However, Outrage locks Flygon in, so I ultimately went with Meteor. Finally, Life Orb gives everything a little extra boost.

Evangelion (Golurk) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Dynamic Punch

If you can't beat them, join them. Golurk can set up SR (which is why Uxie doesn't and has U-turn instead) and also blocks Rapid Spin and absorbs those pesky Technician/Normal Gem boosted Fake-Outs. Her No Guard-Dynamic Punch disrupts the opponent and can make it less risky to setup SR or switch in a teammate while Earthquake serves as an all-around powerful STAB. Thunder Punch rounds things out by giving Golurk a way to KO switch-ins like Sigilyph and Fletchinder. The Colbur berry enables her to take Knock-Offs, though Dark Type moves are still very bad.

Rockapella (Aggron) @ Stone Plate
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Heavy Slam
- Low Kick
- Rock Polish

Aggron may be an unusual choice, but in my experience Rock Polish has good synergy with the Screens; with Light Screen up, Aggron can take hits it normally wouldn't be able to, and when Rock Polish is up, Aggron's fast enough to outspeed its checks. Rock Head lets it use Head Smash without worry, and the Stone Plate gives that move a boost without locking it or eating up health that Aggron typically can't afford to lose, as Light Screen only lets it survive hits, not tank them. Heavy Slam is enough to hit Fairy Types in the tier, and Low Kick can hit foes that resist the other two, like weakened Bronzong.

Azula (Emboar) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Stone Edge

I saw my team, and I worried that KOs would cause me to lose momentum, so I added Emboar as a revenge killer. Her moves are all high powr, and Reckless just makes them stronger. Stone Edge is coverage for Flying Types when I'm worried a Ground Type will switch in, and the Choice Scarf gives her the speed needed to Revenge Kill. Unfortunately, the Scarf also forces frequent switches when resistant foes switch in, causing a loss of momentum.

Never Drop a Call (Virizion) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

With the rest of the team, I had no one that could take special attacks or Grass Type moves well, and no one that could absorb burns. Virizion steps in to fill the role, as Giga Drain enables them to absorb status without too much harm while Calm Mind can be setup that takes advantage of a switch or the Screens. Focus Blast and HP ice cover what Giga Drain doesn't.

Overview

Once Uxie sets up the screens, the rest of the team can switch in much more safely and attack. 2HKOs are more possible because of the reduced damage taken, and when checks and counters have been dealth with, Pokémon like Aggron and Virizion can set up. Emboar Revenge Kills and Virizion absorbs most status.

Concerns

This is by no means an exhaustive list; all I'm stating are a few things I've noticed in my matches. Some of this is probably going to be my own fault (i.e. I'm predicting poorly or just not using enough strategy), but if you think any of them are inherent to the team, any advice on how to address those issues would be much appreciated.

Jolten with HP Ice is very hard to stop if Uxie and Emboar are lost, because without screens or speed, the rest of the team can't take Ice attacks except for Aggron, who can't take any other kinds of Special Attacks. It's not just Jolteon, of course - Ice in general is a problem, since I have three Pokémon weak to it, and the only resistor, Aggron, really can't take Special Attacks anyway.

Also, without screens, Aggron can rarely set up, as he's a sitting duck against any special attacks without Light Screen, and 4x effective physical moves (like Earthquake or Close Combat) will also typically OHKO.

Alomomola is hard to get rid of, and Scald is painful to too much of the team. It's bad to Flygon, Aggron, Golurk, Emboar, and Uxie. While Virizion can jump in, Alomomola immediately jumps out, only to jump in again when I switch to another Pokémon it can tank and wall.

When anyone but Virizion gets hit with Status, there are problems. Uxie gets put on a timer at best and the physical attackers have their damage halved at worst. This is another reason Flygon has special moves instead of physical, but even she is ruined by burns because a burn AND Life Orb recoil every turn adds up scarily fast.

Toxic Spikes are hard to deal with when Flygon can't switch in immediately, because Toxic Poisoning is difficult on everyone in the team.

Knock Off really messes up Uxie and Emboar, and the combination of Taunt and Pursuit can take out Uxie and Golurk very early in the match.

Fairy Type Pokémon are very hard to check, Only Aggron actually resists the type, and his pitiful Special Defense means Moonblast still eats most of his health.

Conclusion

I have the offensive, active team I want, and it's not too bothered by entry hazards. However, when one piece falls, the rest often soon follow. I'd like to retain the core idea of Uxie's Dual Screens setup taking advantage of the rest of the team's attack power, but I'm uncertain of how to do that moving forward. If there's any advice you can give, it'd be much appreciated.

I'm still a novice in the Pokémon metagame, but I'd like to learn what I can, and thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Hi, calvinball. Nice to see a hyper offensive build that utilizes screens Uxie, which can catch people off guard due to it usually functioning as a stealth rocker with yawn utility. Rock Polish Aggron is also a underused threat as many people expect Choice Band. This coupled with a Grass type (Currently Virizion) forms a great core. However, I have some suggestions to improve the overall function and performance of your team.

The first change I want to address is based on seeing issues with your current team. Listed under concerns, you currently have difficult with Toxic Spikes, lack a reliable Fairy switch in, and Alomomola is annoying as it can freely pass on Toxic + Scald. A pokemon that can address all of this is Venusaur over Virizion, which absorbs TSpikes, resists Fairy types, and isn't bothered by toxic due to it's Poison Type. Unlike Virizion, Venusaur is less bothered by Scald due it's access to Synthesis. Venusaur provides a great asset to this team, and also provides a nice check to Electrics like Jolteon. For these very reasons, I would propose a more defensive set with utility as compared to the usual offensive set that is going around. An EV spread of 240 HP / 92 SpA / 176 Spe with a Modest Nature seems ideal as it outspeeds up to Modest Base 70s (namely Modest Specs Analytic which is on the rise, along with Modest Exploud) while having enough Special Attack to 2HKO Alomomola with Giga Drain after Stealth Rock. Sleep Powder also is a key move on this set, needed to cripple switch ins, i.e; Registeel, Golbat, Drapion, etc.

Now that we have addressed several of the problems, I want to talk about Uxie. Screen setters should carry Stealth Rock due to them being able to see which one to prioritize whether to either set up Screens or Rocks based on the opponent's team preview. Memento can be beneficial in some situations, however Uxie functions as your main fighting type, and a nice pivot, therefore should be kept at a healthy amount throughout the battle. For this reason I will suggest running Stealth Rock OVER Memento on Uxie.

Now that we've dealt with having a reliable Stealth Rocker, Golurk can be seen as a momentum drain and not a particularly effective Spin Blocker due to it's bad matchup against Blastoise, the primary spinner in this tier. Golurk also has a very lacklustre speed and does not function that well on this type of build. Another Pokemon that can spin block and has good matchup VS Blastoise, while assisting in being able to get rid of Alomomola (due to one of it's moves), and having a good Matchup 1v1 vs Jolteon due to it's nice Special Defense is Hoopa. For these reason's I would recommend Hoopa over Golurk. An All Out Attacker set with Life Orb is perfect for this team as Hoopa needs no set up to perform, because of it possessing the highest Special Attack stat in RU and having amazing wallbreaking potential. Hyperspace Hole allows Hoopa to break through protect, while Knock Off allows it to cripple the rare switch in such as Meloetta, making this is a vital member to this team.

The final two suggestions are minor but very important to make this team function better. The first one being making Aggron have a Jolly nature. Jolly is needed on Rock Polish to outspeed Scarf base 80s, particularly Medicham which can stop this set in it's tracks. The next suggestion is running Heavy Slam over Stone Edge on Scarf Emboar. This assists with your fairy problem as it specificially really dents Diancie, while Stone Edge has no notable target that Wild Charge + Flare Blitz + Superpower can't hit.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 240 HP / 92 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Hole
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Hope, I helped with the changes. :toast:

Thanks a bunch for the rate, Chakra; the suggestions are working out great! I've managed to play through quite a few matches on the ladder with the changes, and they've really helped the team. I still struggle sometimes, but that's mostly because of my own inexperience with high level prediction and planning.

Regardless, the team has much better synergy; Venasuar's been a much better answer to Alomomola than Virizion was, and Hoopa's far superior to Golurk in wallbreaking. Fairy types and BoltBeam combos also don't hurt the new team nearly as much thanks to Venusaur again, and Emboar's Heavy Slam has landed some key KOs on Fairy types like Diancie while Jolly Aggron has outrun the faster Pokemon you mentioned and hit them very hard. Cofagrigus turns out to give the team some trouble since Shadow Ball OHKO's Hoopa, but with a little weakening by teammates it works out great.

Overall, the original team's severe weaknesses have been eliminated or severely mitigated. I still don't like running into Pokemon like Alomomola, but it's far less of a problem now. I find I still have a lot to learn about battling itself, but this has definitely helped. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)