SM PU Guzstall to top! 1857 and top spot

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Hey all,

Welcome to check my second RMT here in smogon and hopefully you like it. This time I'm presenting the "very famous" Guzstall which some of you might have already heard some rumors and bravest have even faced. We know very well that PU has been extremely offensive for a long time period and that alone being the biggest inspiration for this team. Even when current image of stall players/teams is absolutely dogshit, I would like to kindly remind it really is not that easy to build workable stall for all the offensive threats PU has.

Anyhow without longer speeches, let's get this started already, shall we!

Bulding Progress:
Whole idea actually started when Houndoom dropped into PU and it was decided to be suspect tested. Team was originally built around
with rest-sleeptalk-bulk up-dragon tail as it was the very best counter mon for Houndoom. How ever Houndoom got banned and Guzzlord dropped at the same time to replace
. Reason was simple, pretty much same mons checked (Vicrreebel, Simisear, Lilligant, Jellicent, Manectric and overally other spatk mons) and to top of that finally a mon who can also take Oricorios. Back that time there simply was not a solid mon that could have taken both in one slot: Lilligant and Oricorios different forms.
brought an extra bulk thanks to his ridiculous HP stat.
was also a fun pick to see how well it actually could do outside of offensive sets and bring something new right a way with rest-talk set.

Since our first pick was fairly passive and fat, the line was drawn where we are going at that point already. Second pick was
as at the same point I decided to go for "offensive" stack stall instead of double/triple hazard removal and toxic stall. Fishy helps a lot with its access for both spikes, taunt, intimidate and solid speed tier to fulfill it's role perfectly.

Spike stacker being picked it was time to follow with stealth rocker to maximise hazards. There was a lot of rockers that I went through (Claydol, Mudsdale, A-Slash, Regirock.....), but ended up with "nostalgic"
. Reminds me a lot of the RU stall I had with offensive Mega Steelix, but this time I was able to add Z-move instead of mega stone. This basically helps a lot to absorb toxic's and knock offs from opponent teams. It's 180def stat is good enough to tank hit and base 110atk alone hits back pretty much anything hard that is not resisting it.

Every stack team needs a good spin blocker and here we welcome
for this nice little road trip. Best spin blocker of the tier and access to prankster taunt+status moves to keep hazards in and cripple opponents.
helps a lot also with guzz's and aggrons fighting weakness and has access to keep itself healthy with recover longer than Qwill.

While our core of four is pretty much now done we are still lacking ground move absorber, rapid spinner (since we really can not be defogging our own hazards away). There simply can not be anyone else than mighty
! Absolutely MVP of the team, even if it sounds and looks silly af to have one bad rapid spinner that you "can't rely on". One day this piece of cutie will get it's spot to shine and be loved by the community. Absolutely one of the top spinners in the tier even it has been announced to be bad meme.
For a sixth slot there was literally eating competition between two fatties
vs.
and this time the second one won by difference of one hotdog. Dino's job is to keep our team healthy and pass those yummy wishes and knock opponent items off.
works as a special defense wall and thanks to it's ability regenerator keeps it healthy extra long.

Final Results after long testing periods and sleepless nights:

Druglord (Guzzlord) @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic

Role: SP.Def wall, set up canceller, toxic spreader. Psychic immunity

Guzzlords job is to keep dragon tailing and toxic'ng everything that comes on his way pretty much and let the opponent take hazard stack and get them low for Aggron and Sableye. Guzzlord can pretty much eat anything up atleast once so far it's not fairy type move. It can eat for example +2 z-hurricane from oricorios, +2 focus blast from a-raichu/simisear, +2 ice beam from omastar, specs jelli ice beam and dtail them out and take enough chip to not let them set up again or click toxic.

Bodycount 504 (Aggron) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail

Role: Stealth rocker, knock+toxic absorber, Head Smash spammer - the main offensive presence. Poison immunity

Main Stealth rocker that likes to bang his head against literally anything. Bodycount 504 is legit and enough said how fun mon it is to use. Z-Rockium gets you once through taunt in case opponent doesn't have good hazard controller or their team is super weak to it. Nice little way to force SR in without paying a turn. Gets a free head smash/SR every time vs. skuntank, carbink, audino, articuno, altaria and lickilicky for example. Dragon tail is superB move over heavy slam to avoid wish pass getting through to mudsdale, quagsire or gastrodon. HP investment is/was there to help take hits and especially hits from mesprit, HP investment have been in the long run more usefull than running max speed

Smash or Pass (Qwilfish) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Taunt

Role: Spike stacker, taunter and scald burn fisher - defensive helper for Sableye as well, t-spike absorber. Poison Immunity

Who wouldn't like little harmless fishy fishy to click spikes and get the timer on right a way. Qwilfish with rocky helmet helps you to make mons like physical skuntank really struggle and lets you get toxic spikes latest on mid game. Rocky Helmet also punishes miss predicted rapid spinners, u-turners and other fighting types that havent clicked knock off yet.

Fake taxi driver (Sableye) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Recover

Role: Spin blocker, taunter, offensive set up canceller and main defensive wall. Normal+Fight immunity.

The spin blocker that pretty much never dies thanks to its ability and +1 prio WoW. Foul play is really not that often used and most of the offensive threats likes to keep spamming sword dance while facing sableye which basically means that they are digging their own grave.

Claygod (Claydol) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 156 HP / 132 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest
Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin

Role: Spinner, extra helper for SP.Def mons, surprise factor to kill people and to be a simply the biggest GOD in PS history. Electric + Ground + meme immunity

Maybe the most questionable and customized set you might see here in this post aka unset. The spread with assault vest is customized to take +2 grass knot from a-raichu, simisear, take specs haunters shadow ball and OHKO them back after one layer of stealth rocks. Otherwise audino will revenge kill in change. But it gets trapped by skuntank? Nope, no it does not really, the spread allows you to eat a hit from both physical and special skunks and after rocks to OHKO back. Speed allows you to outspeed everything slower than 240specs jellicent which includes mons like a-slash that doesn't appreciate earth power at all. Ice beam is to help hit ground types and mainly mudsdale. Dazzling gleam is not worth after all the tests I ran unfortly, in the long run ice beam won 10/10 times.

Modelling agent (Audino) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Heal Bell

Role: Wish passer, Knock offer, main SP.Def wall. Ghost immunity

Well, what can I say about this. Best wish passer in the tier, good stats and does it's job extremely well. Really don't need to worry it being dead too often.

Basic idea:

The team is based to control hazards by ourselves and force opponent to click defog and clear the stacks on our side as well. Whenever we have stacks up, comes the guzzlords dragon tail and Aggrons Head Smash/Dtail into picture. Especially if opponent team doesn't have tspike absorber or hazard remover left, we are almost always willing to sacrifice qwilfish for one layer of toxic spikes. In the best case scenario opponents only hazard removal is hitmonchan which pretty much is free set up/spin block for our team and "we inst win" right there.

Also let the Tricking borrow the team for his PUPL finals and here's the result of it: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7pu-450754

Conclusion after all these months:
After being top of the ladder with this current squad for multiple months I can warmly say this squad can put itself into work. Even when I doubted a slightly if Claydol as a only spinner is enough, but I have been super happy I chosed it. Meta has developed during these months when Guzstall was here, but the team has pretty much only got better at this point. It has been extremely joyful to see how this team is making reactions with the PU community. It's not only once or twice I have heard this famous: "if anyone brings a team decent vs stall vs tlenit, its a guranteed win" -line, and proving them wrong is just amazing - you need a bit more than that. Personally I wouldn't change a single thing after this team is result of many months to optimize every slot and building the strategy around "unset" Guzz.

I'm tho extremely interested to hear your opinions and ways to improve this team. I truly hope that you have enjoyed of this RMT and in case you have any questions, please feel free to ask them

Peace! I'm out and looking forward to find the next hidden gem of PU!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)