Grades

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
I go to the University of Delaware. Fantastic school, it is the "hidden jewel" of the east coast.
no fucking way!

a shame, as i transferred from that school this semester (i am from New Jersey so it is cheaper to school here...and money talks these days). i still go down to visit my old friends frequently though. on a side note, i didn't enjoy the school much because my physics professor didn't curve grades...which did not make my day last semester xD.

Ehh, I only have 3 classes this semester since I'm in grade 12 and I'm in Canada.
Ontario represent!
Data Management: 87%
Intro to Sociology: 86%
International Law: 90 something

I had an 87% in World History on my June '08 report and have English/Writer's Craft next semester. Maybe ADV Functions if I take night school, but 2 math / 0 science probably isn't enough to take even the easiest math courses at University next year, fuck.

I failed half of grade 11 though, and ended up passing with garbage grades.

For the person who asked about the University of Toronto, I am currently studying in my first year of engineering there and had an average of around 86% (data management, english, advanced functions, calculus/vectors, chem., and physics) in grade 12, which turns out to be on the low end in terms of acceptance averages for this program. :(
This is good to hear, as everyone I know of that went to UofT had ridiculously high Highschool Grades. Like 90+%, and none of them were in competitive programs like engineering. I'm hoping maybe I can get in with high 80's (and a terrible grade 11 record!). Do you have any friends studying in the area of social sciences that go to Toronto and possibly know what their highschool marks were like?

Other than that I'm considering either Western or Brock for its concurrent education program. But I don't want to live at home. :[

Edit: I'd also like to say that the majority of you have ridiculously high grades. I'm hoping this has to do with the differences in our education systems.

I'm a Sophmore in High School
Last Quarter my grades were:
Geometry Honors: 82
Cumputing For Careers and Colledge: 82
English 2 Honors: 82
Agriculture Intro: 98

But currently the're
75, 11, 66, 85

I have no clue how that happened...

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe ADV Functions if I take night school, but 2 math / 0 science probably isn't enough to take even the easiest math courses at University next year, fuck.
Ehh, I'm not taking any sciences (though I probably should...). However, though it severely restricts some of my options, I still have University of Ottawa and University of Toronto who allow Mathematics majoring without any sciences. They just require ADV Functions and C&V to get in (and English...French is an alternate for English for UoO).

Is science really needed that much to take math though? I'm considering switching my 1st period spare next semester to Biology and my Writer's Craft (though I REALLY want that class) to Chemistry. However, this is only if I really need them.

I live in southern ontario

first, my grades:

Japanese 2: 82% Easy class, I could get higher if i tried, but who cares :P
Biology: Easy 94% This is my bird course for this semester
Gym: 82% My teacher in gym thisyear doesnt give out 90's. He only gives them out to his precious basketball players, while I play Football-Badminton-Rugby. oh well, its not like it affects my future
Math: 52% Yea, this class gives me tons of trouble. I do all of my assignments and stuff, but math is just a horrible subject for me. And the fact we have only had 1 test so far makes it horrible. Thank goodness that i have a test tomarrow and its on trandformations and f(x) stuff, which im good at.

Next semester looks to be my "hard" semester. English, Ancient Civs, Physics, and chemistry. Sciences are easy, and history intrests me. Just looks liek alot of homework

BTW duckster, what school do you go to?

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ontario yeeeeeeee! Im in grade 12 looking at either UofT, Western or Waterloo for next year.

Unlike all you semestered kids im on a term system, meaning I have all my subjects concurrently throughout the year.

Right now Ive got:

English: 90
Adv Functions: 93
Calc & Vectors: 96
Computer Science: 95
Physics: 92
Music: 94

which would be the 6 courses I submit to university, giving me a pretty decent 93.33% average. Im just aiming to stay as close to 93 as I can.

I'm also taking Philosophy (~90) and Chemistry (~87) since i just did pretty shit on my most recent chem test.

Any of you grade 12ers in ontario who want to talk university i really would encourage you to pm me or something i am always willing to talk about this kind of stuff with people in the same shoes as me.

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I go to the University of Delaware. Fantastic school, it is the "hidden jewel" of the east coast.

Also, GPA weights in my high school were bullshit. You get a 5% increase for AP class, 3% for honors class, yet you did 200% more work. In the end, I dropped all my honors classes because they weren't worth it. The only AP I took was Calculus AB. Other than that, colleges don't make as big a deal out of grades as you would think. I had a 3.5, which is shit compared to people in this thread, yet I had extra-curriculars off the chart including captain of the soccer team, a wonderful recommendation letter from my school's principal (he never does that for students but we had a close relationship), and a somewhat decent score of 1240 / 1600 on the SAT. I still managed to get into all the schools that I applied to which included Ohio State, University of Virgina, Villanova, University of Delaware, and the University of Pittsburgh. Not only that, but some of them gave up a good 50% of their tuition. So yeah, moral of the story... don't stress too much over not having a 4.0.. make yourself more than just a GPA and re-evaluate the 15 AP classes you guys are taking because it isn't really worth it.
Yeah my brother is currently a Junior at UD is currently doing something ridiculous like Double Majoring in Physics and Chemistry with a Minor in Math (it is more complicated than that with a lot of "focus" stuff but that's the simplified version). He loves it though and did a lot of work in labs over the summer. Although I'm in no way a Science guy (Physics is pretty cool though) I'll be sure to look at UD.

As for the High School GPA, I would only take the harder courses if you get enough reward out of them as well. Of course, I have a lot of extracurricular too and am good friends with my guidance counselor and most of my teachers. Hoping to get some good recommendations.

Originally Posted by aamto

no fucking way!

a shame, as i transferred from that school this semester (i am from New Jersey so it is cheaper to school here...and money talks these days). i still go down to visit my old friends frequently though. on a side note, i didn't enjoy the school much because my physics professor didn't curve grades...which did not make my day last semester xD.
Was that Peter fucking Georgopolous? Physics 207.. Fundamentals of Physics I for scientists and engineers? God I hate that man I have to take Physics over.

Originally Posted by Cynthia

Well the AP credits can be very useful if you perform well enough on the tests and can get the credits to transfer. I got credit for Biology, Chemistry, Psychology, and Calc AB and now I don't have to overload on credits for my college semesters. I also get to skip College Calc and get to move straight onto Microbiology in the spring rather than taking General Bio.
True, but I know my school doesn't take too kindly to them. I know dozens of people that took at least a have dozen APs and had to take the shit anyway in college because our college goes so in depth, well at least in the sciences and engineering.

Edit: And Fabbles ^^^^, definately apply. UD is the shit

Is science really needed that much to take math though? I'm considering switching my 1st period spare next semester to Biology and my Writer's Craft (though I REALLY want that class) to Chemistry. However, this is only if I really need them.
It must vary by University. It's usually something like 3 prerequisites out of Data, ADV Functions, Calc/Vectors, and at least one Science. Unfourtunately 12U ADV Functions is a prerequisite to Calculus here, so I can't take them both at the same time next semester. :/ I'm only really concerned because most schools next year are going to require atleast one science faculty course and I don't want to be shafted with something I don't want.

BTW duckster, what school do you go to?
Secord, in St.Catharines. Do you live around here haha? If that sounds familiar, PM me or something (since this is offtopic). I'd rather not have a second St.Catharines resident ignoire my attempts to get in contact with them.

we are not quite as old as you!

My school (and district) weights classes; Regulars are out of 4.0, Honors out of 4.5, and AP/IB out of 5.0. I'm in 2 Honors classes and 5 AP/IB Classes right now, so i'm not doing amazingly this semester with a 4.22 though it may seem so. Overall, my cumulative GPA is around 3.94, since I did practically nothing in freshman year (I even blew off my science fair project and got a 69 in Biology lol).
That system sounds very oddly like my school district's system.

I know of someone who left their science fair project in the chemistry room instead of turning it in and he got full credit in the end xD

I have a 4.3+ or so; in comparison to other schools in my district, its pretty crappy. But really, high schools don't look at that too much anymore; they're looking more for being well rounded and etc.

/edit: Oh wait, you're the guy that goes to my same district now, aren't you?

I'm not doing so well right now in college. I currently have a 2.32 G.P.A., and as of right now, I'm barely pulling a 2.0 G.P.A. this semester. But I am very thankful that I am still good enough to get my financial aid.

I'm looking to apply to engineering or computer sciences at University of Toronto/Queens or Waterloo respectively. I'm termed as well, I've got something like:

Calculus and Vectors: 97%
Advanced Functions: 92%
Computer Sciences (I really don't know right now- I'm assuming low nineties)
English: 90
French: 90
Chemistry: 93
Physics: 93
Philosophy: 97

So I'm just going to end up submitting my philosophy mark for my sixth course in engineering, it looks like, giving me around a 93.67% avg right now. Engineering is really selective though so it's all sciences and maths as far as they're concerned. Computer Sciences is less restrictive, but my electives are lower marks anyways, lol. Definitely in the same boat as Jackal, I think I have we have pretty tough choices to make in Ontario with respects to University.

I have

Science: 98
History: 93ish
Math: 95ish
Latin: 90ish (got a 77 on test lately but all quizes have been 98-100 range)
Spanish: 93ish

yesh

Huzzah more Canadians (Ontarians(?), actually) than I thought! I was afraid that this would be too much American GPA hoo-haa and nobody would understand what I was saying. >:

This semester I only have 4 courses:

French: 79
Computer Science: 89
Math: 83
English: 96
Average: 86.8

My French mark is a bit 'bleh' because I hate doing French homework, and I have no motivation to do. I'm pretty good at winging tests though, my teacher makes them piss-easy. Computer Science is pretty much just reading about different things about java, making 2~3 programs, handing them in and presto - instant 90%s. I have it online so I have no tests and pretty much minimum work. I do well on math quizzes, homework check, and whatnot. I have trouble on tests though and usually end with with like high 70s or some shit around there. English is just... ridiculously easy lol... I'm also in grade 11, and those are all University level courses.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Holy fuck, my fellow Canadians are so much smarter than I am...(or perhaps I have no motivation since I'm too damn lazy).

I mean, come on, 90 averages? You people are insane! I haven't been able to get a 90 since grade 10, and I see some people with 100s here, and I've never been able to manage that in anything besides Family Studies (yes it was fuckin home ec.). Do you guys just try hard or are you naturally just supercomputers? Perhaps you have been talking with Alakazam...

You guys are up for some pretty fuckin handy scholarships. Just watch, I'll catch up to you guys. :]

By the way, how are you people doing good in ADV Functions? Maybe it's just my teacher since he's a hardass, but I really started the course off on the wrong foot and it's getting really hard to raise my grade. I've seriously found that to be the hardest course in high school to date. Come on tell me your secrets.... -.-

3.5!!!!!! my GPA is usually 3.3, though =[

Geometry: B - my teacher doesn't teach
English: B+ - I usually get B's in english O.o
Japanese: A+ - easy
Biology: B- - damn it's hard. haha
Choir: A+ - show up and get an A+

no history until next semester =]

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i took adv functions last year during grade 11 while it was still an easy course

this year it seems to be ruining everyone so i got lucky

Everstone

Now 100% reliable
is a Contributor Alumnus
Let's see...
4.0 first semester. Then started taking more classes and then getting some B's and crap second semester. This time around I have like 0 motivation so it's probably gonna be a lot of Bs and a few Cs here and there. Word of advice: Don't take any more classes than you have to. I'm definitely cutting down on what I take next time, maybe I'll get my motivation back.
And some of you guys are lucky. I wish we had Japanese in my high school. Instead all we get is German, Spanish, French, and Latin, and they just started offering Chinese last year so I've heard. I'm slowly (emphasis on slowly) trying to learn it, lol.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This decimal scale is something I don't know about, so I can't contribute.

Had something like a 3.1 in high school, currently have a 2.78 in college. Really, as long as it's not below a certain point, I don't worry about it too much.

The degree I am currently doing is one where you get kicked out if you get below 4.0 lol. I am in a rather tight spot the for the first semester already. Wonder if I can survive...

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Had something like a 3.1 in high school, currently have a 2.78 in college. Really, as long as it's not below a certain point, I don't worry about it too much.
Same. As long as I stay above 3.0 I'm happy. I don't see the big deal with GPAs and stuff unless you're trying to get into grad school. People put far too much weight behind the prestige of the school and marks. Grade 12 is really something though. That's the year that I, and many of my friends, found that the previous 11 years were pretty much useless and that all that mattered were courses that ended with the number 12. Not only that, but only 5 of those courses were important because the universities didn't give a damn about anything but your top 5 eligible ones.

As for finding work? As long as I get the relevant connections and experience using co-op and learn the skills over the course of my degree, I highly doubt my employer is going to care I didn't get a 4.0.

I also hate to say it, but considering some of the courses I'm forced to take, I often feel like I'm in university for the piece of paper - not the education.

I'm a Junior in HS, and my grades suck
My school goes by the numbers system on a scale of 100, where 99 is usually the highest grade

I just started Junior year in September, so the first marking period grades arent really relevant because they go by an ESNU system

but last year, my grades were horrifiying, so lets not talk about them.

In any event, of course people could lie about their grades, and like Tennis brought up it's basically an E-Penis discussion where people could give themselves a bit of a bump to come off as a better student.

Anyways I'll try to bring up my grades for Junior year, but I'd like to know what this 3.0 - 4.0 GPA thing is referring to because i dont understand it.

like a 4.0 would be a 99 average? or something

what would a 3.0, 3.25, 3.5, and 3.75 come off as if 4.0 is the cap, and how would those GPAs translate into on a numbers system where the highest grade is 100?

like i guess 90-100 would be A
B: 80-88
C:70-75

anything lower i wouldn't know, but thats roughly what it means in my school

I am in college right now, and my high school grades did not matter, I just had to do well on a standardized test. But for the 4 classes I am taking, I am making low B's (govt, history 1 and 2, and speech)

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Was that Peter fucking Georgopolous? Physics 207.. Fundamentals of Physics I for scientists and engineers? God I hate that man I have to take Physics over.
ahahahah, you bet it was.

i passed with a C, which was surprising in it of itself because i failed the first 2 exams.

i guess you were in my lecture then last semester (if you took it in the spring)? small world!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)