Glassy Sky

Banned deucer.
Glassy Sky

Glassy sky above
As long as I survive you will be part of me
Glassy sky the cold, the broken pieces of me
Glassy sky above, covers over me, over me

Introduction

Welcome to my First RMT. Before I begin my spiel, I should let you know that this RMT is best viewed in Dark Mode. Give 'Glassy Sky' a listen as you sit back, read, and enjoy. Throughout USM Ubers, there have been a wide variety of powerful threats introduced that forever revolutionized the tier. Long have I sought to build a quality team around arguably the most powerful sweeper in the tier, Swords Dance Ultra Necrozma. This has by far been my most successful team in USM Ubers, helping me win a wide variety of room tours and ladder games alike. The structure of this team originally began with Ultra Necrozma and Mega Gengar - two dynamic offensive threats that in tandem could break through many opposing offensive and defensive threats. The coverage Mega Gengar provides proves invaluable to many Bulky Offense builds such as this one, as it can easily defeat many omnipresent builds centered around Dual Primals. Speaking of Primals, I then decided to add SR + SD Primal Groudon as it compresses the role of Hazard Support and Wall Breaker into one fantastic Pokemon, rightfully known as the King of Ubers. At this point, I realized I was somewhat weak to some dangerous threats such as Geomancy Xerneas, Marshadow, and Yveltal, and thus decided to add a fine defensive backbone of Magearna, Arceus-Water, and Defensive Yveltal. While the latter three acts in tandem to spread status and wall a wide variety of offensive threats found in the tier, the former three provides an elegant form of offensive synergy that simply overwhelms effective defensive builds found today, which rely on bulky Pokemon and support Arceus to form their counter play against the aforementioned threats. All in all, this is an easy to use build that I have become quite fond of and I sincerely hope you will enjoy using it as well.

In-Depth Analysis

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Outrage

The star of this team, Swords Dance Ultra Necrozma is arguably the best sweeper in Ubers. Obtaining even one Swords Dance boost makes it a lethal sweeper, capable of finishing off weakened teams. Before trying to sweep through teams with this monster, it is crucial to eliminate all of the potential threats that check it. Common threats include Scarf Yveltal as well as Life Orb variants carrying Sucker Punch, Scarf Xerneas, and faster Pokemon like Deoxys-Attack and Mega Mewtwo Y. Defeating Yveltal and Scarf Xerneas can be done by any permutation of Magearna, Primal Groudon, and Arceus-Water as long as you play carefully. Deoxys-Attack and Mega Mewtwo Y are less commonly seen and usually can be played around by utilizing the defensive backbone present on this team and you can even opt to stay in base form for greater bulk and a more favorable match up against these threats. Note the choice between Stone Edge and Outrage is up to preference, I prefer Stone Edge to avoid getting locked into a single move, but if the aforementioned checks are removed, a +2 Outrage can finish off weakened teams making it a very proactive offensive choice.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

All-out-Attacker Mega Gengar is primarily used to trap annoying defensive threats like Support Arceus forms, namely Waterceus and Fairyceus, as well as revenge kill opposing Ultra Necrozma. To make the most out of Mega Gengar, it is best not to reveal its complete set until it is absolutely necessary. Hidden Power Ice and Thunder provide the coverage needed to tackle some other threats like Zygarde-C, Mega Salamence, and Ho-Oh as well. Many teams often bring a Scarf Revenge Killer like Xerneas or Yveltal to revenge kill Ultra Necrozma. If you are able to catch Yveltal on the switch with Thunder, it will make Ultra Necrozma's life a lot easier when it comes to devastating the opposition.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

The King of Ubers provides the role compression that a Bulky Offense teams like this greatly benefits from having. In particular, SD + SR Primal Groudon provides SR support and can further pressure Support Arceus forms thanks to Swords Dance. As the teams primary Primal Kyogre check, Primal Groudon can tank a few Ice Beams and retaliate swiftly Precipice Blades. Additionally, Primal Groudon also acts as this teams secondary Geomancy Xerneas check. Not much to say here that hasn't been said ad nauseam, this set puts in work helping out Ultra Necrozma and Mega Gengar weaken or break through teams and the given EV spread allows Primal Groudon to survive +2 Focus Blast from Geomancy Xerneas, survive +1 Double-Edge from Adamant Mega Salamence, and outspeed Adamant Necrozma-DM, with the rest of the EVs put into Attack with an Adamant nature to boost damage output.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell / Pain Split

Aside from being the single best Geomancy Xerneas counter in the tier, I strongly believe that every team featuring an Ultra Necrozma should also feature a Magearna. The defensive utility it provides is simply outstanding. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as its set goes, Heal Bell is used over Pain Split to provide a cleric that this team would ideally like to have versus a Bulky Balance or Stall match up. Pain Split can be used for increased longevity throughout the match, but since Magearna is offensively pressured often, it doesn't get the opportunity to use Pain Split as much as it would like to. Make sure to scout for Yveltal sets as a Choice Specs Heat Wave can often be dangerous to switch into.

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

The creator of all Pokemon takes his most Defensive Form. Quite simply put, with the rapid surge of Dual Primals spamming their 150 BP moves, it is logical to have a reliable answer to them. Additionally, Arceus-Water is able to deal with Mixed RP Primal Groudon, a dangerous threat that could otherwise prove very threatening for this team to handle. Furthermore, Arceus-Water does a fine job of handling other offensive threats like DD Zygarde-C, EKiller, and Marshadow by either outright beating them or putting them on a timer. Maximum investment in HP and Defense guarantees this and the investment in speed allows Arceus Water to outspeed non max Speed Dual Primals and other Base 90s as well.

Yveltal @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 176 HP / 248 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

The final member of this team, Physical Defensive Yveltal provides additional support to the defensive backbone of this team. In addition to providing Hazard Removal in the form of Defog as well as proving a much needed Ghost-Type resist, Yveltal can act as an emergency check to certain Swords Dance Sweepers like SD Arceus Ground, Dual Dance Primal Groudon, and SD Ultra Necrozma. Charti Berry allows it to survive a boosted Stone Edge and retaliate back with Foul Play. It is imperative to proactively play with Yveltal and try to avoid it from getting statused, as it serves as the teams only form of Hazard Control. That being said, Defensive Yveltal was picked over Giratina-O because of its access to a reliable form of recovery, as well as preventing certain weaknesses that this team inherently has to stack up (namely Ghost and Dark Types). Furthermore, Yveltal can even set some of its weaker checks like Support Arceus Ground on a timer with Toxic. All in all, Magearna, Arceus-Water, and Yveltal act in a synergistic fashion and deal with a wide variety of threats as needed.

Concluding Thoughts

USM Ubers has been especially generous towards Bulky Offense builds and I feel 'Glassy Sky' demonstrates what an ideal Ultra Necrozma Bulky Offense build should aspire to look like. The reason why this team is so successful is because it incorporates four of the highest ranked threats according to Ubers Viability, while still possessing a solid defensive backbone that rounds the team. Yet, while there are some threats to this team that come in the form of Calm Mind sweepers like Arceus-Ground and Mega Mewtwo Y, they can be played around by either putting them on a timer with Toxic or offensively pressuring them enough into submission. I have greatly enjoyed using this team and before I bid you adieu, remember to listen to 'Glassy Sky' as you click on Ultra Necrozma's Legendary Z-Move Light That Burns The Sky!

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Yveltal @ Charti Berry
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 176 HP / 248 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:

Glassy Sky

Banned deucer.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback and please let me know how this team works out for you. I am always open to suggestions and I hope you enjoyed 'Glassy Sky'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)