MY current favourite set for genosekuto is:

Genosekuto@Life Orb
Naive(+Spe/-SpD)
156 Spe/176 Atk/176 SpA
~Nitro CHarge
~Thunderbolt
~X-Scissor
~Flash Cannon

ThIs mixed set works a treat since you can get the speed boost from nitro charge, and the attack/SpA boost from download, and sweep away with that
The concept is good, but the lack of coverage hurts. Genesect is better with Rock Polish or Choice Scarf. You'll have to hit the switch-in with Nitro Charge; it's a bit risky if a Heatran switches in and gets the Flash Fire boost.

Anyway, here are my own modifications to the above set:
-Nitro Charge
-X-Scissor
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower
Nature: Naive
Item: Life Orb
EVs: same spread as above.

I know it's Genosect's signature, but there is really no reason to ever use Techno Buster. Life Orb boosts all of your moves and makes HP Water stronger than Technobuster (but then you might just as well use HP Ground).
Just try to forget that it is Genosect's signature move and look at it as a regular water move with 85 Base Power and only works if Aqua cassette is on the holder.

What you say makes sense though, Life Orbed Hidden Power Water can be used if it is stronger. Just don't mention Hidden power Ground since there are such a boat load of Pokemon using balloon out there that taking them out is heck if they switch in on Rock Polish (like balloon Doryuuzu, who will otherwise stop you well) or even come in as a revenger for that matter (the rare balloon Shandera comes to mind here). As much as Hidden Power Ground is looking good, it is a Water move that Genosect needs more. Even heatran goes with Shuca berry and balloon many times. Also, Hidden Power Water / Water Techno Buster benefits from rain too, and this Genosect can stop many rain teams with Thunderbolt and a Water move. Seriously, on Genosect, Water move > Ground move.

Genosekuto
Item: Aqua Cassete
Modest/Timid
4HP/252SpA/252 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Bug Buzz
-Techno Buster
-Thunder

Works wonders under rain. After a Rock Polish and a wanted Special Attack boost can completely destroy unprepared teams

Genosekuto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Basically, the ultimate Weather Pokemon combatant. U-turn and Thunderbolt are doing massive damage to Politoed, Bug Buzz and U-turn hurt Tyranitar and Abomasnow, Ice Beam deals with Hippowdon. At +1, even 252 HP | 252 SpD sets for all those Pokemon are 2HKOed by correct attack. The only Weather-inducing Pokemon that this set cannot beat reliably is Ninetales. U-turn is especially necessary considering that Genosekuto is only available for play in the Dream World tier, where Choice Scarf Shandera lurks in the shadows.

Also works well on a Drizzle team, since Rain mitigates Genosekuto's Fire-type weakness, and it can then run Thunder over Thunderbolt for more damage.

Genosekuto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 4 Atk | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Basically, the ultimate Weather Pokemon combatant. U-turn and Thunderbolt are doing massive damage to Politoed, Bug Buzz and U-turn hurt Tyranitar and Abomasnow, Ice Beam deals with Hippowdon. At +1, even 252 HP | 252 SpD sets for all those Pokemon are 2HKOed by correct attack. The only Weather-inducing Pokemon that this set cannot beat reliably is Ninetales. U-turn is especially necessary considering that Genosekuto is only available for play in the Dream World tier, where Choice Scarf Shandera lurks in the shadows.

Also works well on a Drizzle team, since Rain mitigates Genosekuto's Fire-type weakness, and it can then run Thunder over Thunderbolt for more damage.
However, it only turns the 4x weakness into a 2x weakness, so if you have the speed and power, like that Scarfdera, it will destroy it.

Blissey/Chansey will wall this thing till 2012.

However, it only turns the 4x weakness into a 2x weakness, so if you have the speed and power, like that Scarfdera, it will destroy it.

Blissey/Chansey will wall this thing till 2012.
I have personally not seen too many of those so them coming in won't be that often (maybe because Kerudio the nightmare horse could appear, banishing Blissey into the Shadow Realm).

I definitely prefer 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe with U-turn/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt to any other set. It lets you do massive damage with U-turn, which is basically the only move I ever use with him.

But the RP set is so awesome D:
I don't enjoy being walled by Chansey/Blissey, Heatran, and getting trapped, walled, and killed by Shandera.

I see that you are not using Genosect up to his full potential at all. Come on, he isn't there just for U-turning!
Until I've taken out common resistors of Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt, he sure is. Or if I'm in dire need of a revenge kill on something like Gyarados. U-turn is one of the best moves in the game, there's nothing wrong with spamming it all day long.

I don't enjoy being walled by Chansey/Blissey, Heatran, and getting trapped, walled, and killed by Shandera.

Until I've taken out common resistors of Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt, he sure is. Or if I'm in dire need of a revenge kill on something like Gyarados. U-turn is one of the best moves in the game, there's nothing wrong with spamming it all day long.
Most special attackers are walled by Blissey.
You have 5 other pokemon to deal with her.

Heatran can take Neutral hit in the form of T-Bolt. A weakened Heatran won't survive.
Shandera gets OHKO'd by T-bolt. You NEED the Speed boost though.

You can also use Bug Buzz in exchange for Ice Beam,since BoltBeam no longer covers everything.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You don't have to drop Ice Beam; it's good coverage for Gliscor, Dnite, and friends. You can, however, drop Flamethrower, since Thunderbolt hits most Steel types for neutral as is. The only thing that resists all of Bug Buzz/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt is Magnezone, who isn't present in the DW metagame.

You don't have to drop Ice Beam; it's good coverage for Gliscor, Dnite, and friends. You can, however, drop Flamethrower, since Thunderbolt hits most Steel types for neutral as is. The only thing that resists all of Bug Buzz/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt is Magnezone, who isn't present in the DW metagame.
Shedinja and Rotom's Heat form also resist all three of those moves.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Shedinja and Rotom's Heat form also resist all three of those moves.
Lol Shedinja, and you probably don't want to be staying in on Rotom-H anyway.

Also, Flamethrower hits Magnezone super-effectively, at the cost of being walled by...Lanturn? I think that's the only extra neutral hit Bug Buzz would get you. So they're both good options.

Genosekuto
Modest
4HP/252SpA/252 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

This set has run me up the ladder to the top 50 almost single handedly. It seems to me to be the most obvious and the most useful. although i can understand the U-turn, this lets you murder tyranitar without having to worry about giving physical attack. If you can eliminate opposition fires early on, then this set is almost unstoppable.

Genosekuto
Modest
4HP/252SpA/252 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Bug Buzz
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

This set has run me up the ladder to the top 50 almost single handedly. It seems to me to be the most obvious and the most useful. although i can understand the U-turn, this lets you murder tyranitar without having to worry about giving physical attack. If you can eliminate opposition fires early on, then this set is almost unstoppable.
I've had similar success with this set, as well as the one with U-turn over Thunderbolt and a non-Attack-decreasing nature.

Aside from the big counters of Blissey and Chandelure... does anyone else worry that this thing will end up getting banned at some point?

i run this as a lead in ubers

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
Naive Nature
Ev's: 28 Att 252 Speed 214 Sp. Att (or somethin like that)
-Explosion
-Ice Beam
-U-Turn
-Flamethrower

Genosekuto (Genesect) @ Leftovers
Trait: Download
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 116 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
SUBsect FAIL!

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Techno buster seems like a useless move for this guy. He has a more powerful move for almost every type of disc you're able to give him. The only one that may be useful is the douse drive, since he doesn't get surf.

Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, AND Flamethrower is superb coverage. Combined with U-turn or Hidden Power Water (until Game Freak makes it so that Genesect doesn't have to hold the Douse Drive, Techno Blast is a no-no) it can hit anything well. Of course, U-turn is generally better due to the fact that it is so useful. Its middling speed may well be a boon here; anything with 100 speed or higher that uses Pursuit will not have double damage.

Okay... so most signature moves (especially those of legendaries) are at LEAST 100 power or have a useful effect... or if you consider things like Sacred Fire, both. Hell, Techno Buster's closest cousin, Judgement, has 100 BP, 10 PP AND access to every single type... awesome move that at the very least needs power over flamethrower and company... or some extra side effect... BP and or requirement of an item slot seem to be the main issues, however...

The standard U-Turn/BBuzz/IceBeam/T-Bolt set works incredibly with an Expert Belt since like 95% of Genesects are scarfed and EB easily fakes it when people switch out expecting a scarfed SE attack + extra power almost all the time given the amazing coverage of those 3 type moves.

With +1 attack from Download Genosect can do 50-60% to Blissey through U-turn even with a Timid or Modest nature. Remember, it's 1.5* a 200-something stat, which makes for decent damage to physically weak pokemon since U-turn is STABed.

So far the Choice Specs set has been my favorite. BoltBeam is always good, Bug Buzz comes off with a lot of power, and Download just makes things better for you. The Hone Claws set is interesting. I don't see this thing being OU for long though, it's definitely uber worthy.

Technobuster is 100 acc 85 pow special. The water variant may be useful for warding off fire types...
since it doesn't learn any helpful Water-type moves like Surf or even Waterfall, Techno Buster with the Water Cassette would be great for coverage, if you don't mind the loss of its item slot for something like a Choice item or Life Orb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)