Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKIII *Official Media Only*

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you have a problem when Alolan Dugtrio becomes your phone wallpaper...

But seriously, this is probably one of my favourite Pokémon ever. I've always loved Diglett and Dugtrio ever since I used to watch the anime back when it was decent. I used to live how the Diglett used to dig around and go "Diglett Dee Diglett Dee" and I thought it was fricking adorable. As for Dugtrio, it's basically three Digletts, so I love it three times as much.

Now Alolan Dugtrio is Dugtrio with a makeover. The 'God(dess) of the Land' is beautiful and I want one. I love how people literally bow down to this beauty, and the first time I saw it I went a bit mad and did the same thing XD. To cut a long story short, this is probably one of my favourite Pokémon ever.

Now excuse me while I go worship Alolan Dugtrio...

You can't do real proportions look nice in a small screen.
That's true, but they should just program it so that if certain pokemon are on the field, the trainers are not shown. It would be an easy fix to the problem seeing as the trainer in the background is in no way necessary.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
From the woman who infamously gave ORAS 7.8 for "too much water", here's her opinion of Pokemon Sun & Moon:

There's no spoilers, but there is some new footage of locations and character dialogue.

Also a fair few of let's players I watch are planning a Sun & Moon playthrough, by the end of this year/beginning of next year I may end up sick of all the Sun & Moon stuff, lol.

That's true, but they should just program it so that if certain pokemon are on the field, the trainers are not shown. It would be an easy fix to the problem seeing as the trainer in the background is in no way necessary.
The scale problem will still be there since wailord will not completely dwarf everyone.
zygarde 100% is supposed to be this towering monstrosity but it's about the same as most other "large" pokemon, too.

The trainer makes it more obvious, but the scale issues are still there. Until the game is on a system with a bigger screen and more power (which i say solely because i can only imagine the problems with framerate they'd have with huge detailed models) I doubt this will ever be altered.

The other 'issue' with Wailord is measures. What does Height truly mean? Height? Length? Height from head to feet? Or Height from head to tail?

Maybe Wailord is supposed to be very long but with a low height (which still doesn't match what we see in battle, of course), and not like it was seen in the GameCube games.

And no one mentions all the issues of the game at a technical level or at a RPG design level...fuck my life that review was nothing but subjective stuff.

That's what you're here for. Share your thoughts!
Since you allowed me to voice my opinion I'll give a spoiler free review.

My main gripe is that they made the same mistakes as in GSC, DP and BW when it comes to certain elements. Basically the "It all comes together" phrase was for shity features that dragged down the gameplay of their generation coming together for one game.

GSC, almost all of the new mons excluding Alola forms are hidden behind rather ludicrous encounter rates or require the use of new features that haven't been talked in official media, sadly this puts the new Pokémon in an awkward situation, there is also the issue of BST being awkward and most final forms being outspeed by non Alola mons all the time, I won't spoil further but this is a 1-1 Johto issue.

DP, the game is poorly optimized and the loading resource engine is terrible. They don't even have the excuse of this being a new device. Doubles actually makes older 3ds models to overheat if weather is involved. I won't talk further about the munchlax situation as that's covered in GSC.

BW, people criticize the first gym of BW as slow and handholding, if you include the dreamyard this holds true, SM actually takes its sweet time(15 minutes if you speed run, 30 if you read) before going into a 3 minute cutscene before you choose your starter, a big fuck you to soft resetting and the slowest introduction of all games to actual Pokémon interaction. People criticize unova map for it's circle railroad and lack of route exploration, however those where still better than Alola map after the first island, I won't go further but outside of the zygarde quest the map offers nothing postgame as the history railroads you through almost 90% of it excluding pokeride blocks.

Talking about blockades, they went full retard here, it's a mixture of dancing fat men and Psyduck headache with invisible walls added in. There is no freedom on most areas of this game.

The difficulty is decent, but most trainers in midgame don't have full sets on their Pokémon, you can use disable on some trainers early game and they will struggle as they don't even have support moves just the closest level offensive STAB, in the first two islands this is extremely prominent.

4 totem Pokémon are YMMV in difficulty as they have frustration inducing mechanics mixed in. From the trailers I can tell you that Lurantis and Wishiwashi can cause headaches to people that don't grind and this is made worse by the overall slowness of Alola mons.

Musical direction is comfy, but the tension is completely lost in the champion battle, the theme is blatant gen1 pandering and the first time it is not shy about it referencing a development hiccups in gen1, the music is not epic and lacks identity as a battle theme for a region, it's fully orchestrated wich is a big contrast towards the rest of the game except for 2 towns, 3 routes and 1 dungeon wich feature similar elements, it's basically the contrast of putting the Johto tittle route 22 music in the middle of Cynthia battle in platinum. It's not very pleasing in rematches and I personally just mute my DS on "Champion" battles, if you expected epicness this theme disappointed me, music is subjective and I will leave it at that.

One last thing, z belly drum guts hariyama breaks the game, it's easily the new nidoking as once per battle you get a lemonade heal+boosts if you ever end up in troubles, the fact that Hariyama actually outspeeds a good portion of the Alola dex seals the deal.

Hope I don't spoil with this, I limited my information to released information.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Since you allowed me to voice my opinion I'll give a spoiler free review.

My main gripe is that they made the same mistakes as in GSC, DP and BW when it comes to certain elements. Basically the "It all comes together" phrase was for shity features that dragged down the gameplay of their generation coming together for one game.

GSC, almost all of the new mons excluding Alola forms are hidden behind rather ludicrous encounter rates or require the use of new features that haven't been talked in official media, sadly this puts the new Pokémon in an awkward situation, there is also the issue of BST being awkward and most final forms being outspeed by non Alola mons all the time, I won't spoil further but this is a 1-1 Johto issue.

DP, the game is poorly optimized and the loading resource engine is terrible. They don't even have the excuse of this being a new device. Doubles actually makes older 3ds models to overheat if weather is involved. I won't talk further about the munchlax situation as that's covered in GSC.

BW, people criticize the first gym of BW as slow and handholding, if you include the dreamyard this holds true, SM actually takes its sweet time(15 minutes if you speed run, 30 if you read) before going into a 3 minute cutscene before you choose your starter, a big fuck you to soft resetting and the slowest introduction of all games to actual Pokémon interaction. People criticize unova map for it's circle railroad and lack of route exploration, however those where still better than Alola map after the first island, I won't go further but outside of the zygarde quest the map offers nothing postgame as the history railroads you through almost 90% of it excluding pokeride blocks.

Talking about blockades, they went full retard here, it's a mixture of dancing fat men and Psyduck headache with invisible walls added in. There is no freedom on most areas of this game.

The difficulty is decent, but most trainers in midgame don't have full sets on their Pokémon, you can use disable on some trainers early game and they will struggle as they don't even have support moves just the closest level offensive STAB, in the first two islands this is extremely prominent.

4 totem Pokémon are YMMV in difficulty as they have frustration inducing mechanics mixed in. From the trailers I can tell you that Lurantis and Wishiwashi can cause headaches to people that don't grind and this is made worse by the overall slowness of Alola mons.

Musical direction is comfy, but the tension is completely lost in the champion battle, the theme is blatant gen1 pandering and the first time it is not shy about it referencing a development hiccups in gen1, the music is not epic and lacks identity as a battle theme for a region, it's fully orchestrated wich is a big contrast towards the rest of the game except for 2 towns, 3 routes and dungeon. It's not very pleasing in rematches and I personally just mute my DS on "Champion" battles, if you expected epicness this theme disappointed me, music is subjective and I will leave it at that.

One last thing, z belly drum guts hariyama breaks the game, it's easily the new nidoking as once per battle you get a lemonade heal+boosts if you ever end up in troubles, the fact that Hariyama actually outspeeds a good portion of the Alola dex seals the deal.

Hope I don't spoil with this, I limited my information to released information.
Small mistake on my part to encourage reviews in the "Official media only" thread, but you managed to keep it non-spoilery, which I really appreciate. Looking forward to see elaborated thoughts once the games are out.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Z-Ring Review:
Summary:
It can work on its own without the game. It has a switch on the bottom to switch between "roleplay mode" and "3DS mode". In "roleplay mode" theres seems to be a button on top to make it activate.
2. In "3DS mode", it works via the sound effects from the game (the manual suggests turning up the volume for best result). When using a Z-Move the Z-Ring will flash, make sounds, and vibrate along with the sound. It'll do this regardless what Z-Crystal you have in, but the Z-Crystal won't light up unless its the Z-Move of its type.
3. It's small, cosplayers may want to make their own.

It's pretty much what we thought it was, a novelty toy.

In "3DS mode", it works via the sound effects from the game (the manual suggests turning up the volume for best result). When using a Z-Move the Z-Ring will flash, make sounds, and vibrate along with the sound.
Actually, this does sound fancy. Definitely something I'd buy for my nephew if not for the fact that I know he'd break it in like 5 seconds...
Wouldn't get it for myself, though. It's simply too bulky and I'd honestly feel stupid wearing that.

There are only three days until the official release of Generation Seven!

Gen VI, it's been a fun three years. It was the generation that I really started playing competitively, and the one where I really started to learn how the games work. Alpha Sapphire took me back to my roots, letting me relive the memory of the first Pokemon game I ever played through. Granted, there are some things that we won't miss as much (Curbstomping XY with Honedge, Lucario, and/or Charizard, and Mega Kangaskhan's absolute dominance of VGC come to mind), but in all, it's been a good time. Since I've been keeping away from spoilers, Smogon has been a bit of a minefield lately. Rest assured, I'll be back to posting in all the discussion threads once I play through the games myself, but for now, in a bit of a throwback to the Countdown to XY thread of olde (I can't believe it's been a whole three years), there's a few things I'm curious about. Feel free to answer however many or few as you want, in as many or as few words as you want.
  • What was your favourite part of Generation 6?
  • Overall, did you enjoy XY and ORAS?
  • What are you most looking forward to in Sun and Moon?
  • What are your plans for release day? (Personally, my local EB games is doing a midnight release party, so that's what I'll be doing.)

Gen VI, it's been a fun three years. It was the generation that I really started playing competitively, and the one where I really started to learn how the games work. Alpha Sapphire took me back to my roots, letting me relive the memory of the first Pokemon game I ever played through. Granted, there are some things that we won't miss as much (Curbstomping XY with Honedge, Lucario, and/or Charizard, and Mega Kangaskhan's absolute dominance of VGC come to mind), but in all, it's been a good time. Since I've been keeping away from spoilers, Smogon has been a bit of a minefield lately. Rest assured, I'll be back to posting in all the discussion threads once I play through the games myself, but for now, in a bit of a throwback to the Countdown to XY thread of olde (I can't believe it's been a whole three years), there's a few things I'm curious about. Feel free to answer however many or few as you want, in as many or as few words as you want.
  • What are your plans for release day? (Personally, my local EB games is doing a midnight release party, so that's what I'll be doing.)
To answer your questions:

1- The fact that we got a Ruby/Sapphire remake. Not counting Pokémon Stadium, Sapphire was my first Pokémon game. Sadly, they came too late for me, when I got disappointed in Pokémon X. Seeing that people really enjoyed those games I kind of regret not playing them when I had the chance. Oh well, what can I do? Also, I enjoyed defeating everything with Greninja, Lucario and Speed Boost Blaziken.
2- The first time I played Pokémon X, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. But after finishing the Pokémon League, I realized that the post-game was almost non-existent and the story was... average, to put it kindly. It doesn't help that I was not interested in playing competitive at that time.
3- Sincerely, Battle Royales. I love the chaos that could ensue from them, even though I know there's a good chance they will be laggy since I'm using an old 3DS.
4- Well, I guess I will be going to a shop named Universal, since as far as I know it's the only shop that I know that is going to stock them since day 1. At least it's near my house.

1.- Megas, especially mega Alakazam and Lopunny, the biggest fuck you to offensive teams ever conceived, I loved mega Gardevoir/Medicham at the start since this thing invalidated slow teams as long as you weakened aegislash beforehand, team building was crazy good after Aegislash ban if you liked double wallbreaker cores with offensive Tran. Highest point of the generation for me was always falling in love with new offensive Megas.

2.- XY was weird, I got a lv 44 Tyrantrum before Korrina... I fucking loved that Dino in Amie and went overbroad with it. ORAS was pathetic story wise for me, they where giving you every nuke they could and the system aged badly, I still preferred fly over soaring. I didn't enjoy these games much outside of completing area dex in XY ingame on my first run before the e4.

3.-The thing I look the most in SM? Abuse more Megas now that Tapus can block status and priority with terrain wars. Especially better speed tier mega Beedril. Hyper training might save some of my old shinies I have roting in my boxes like my Esmerald double edge Mightyena or my 3iv DP shiny Infernape I nicknamed Pinky.

4.-I have no idea the game comes on the 17th at midnight, but it's a workday so I might pick it later as I already reserved it.

1. My favourite things in gen 6 was the introduction of megas, pokemon amie, dexnav, etc. But I liked the Mega evolution the most since it gave a lot of previously low tier 'mons a chance to perform well in higher tiers. I just loved the headbutting mini games in pokemon amie it was too damn addictive. Dexnaving was fun and at times a bit annoying. I loved how certain pokemon like lapras had over world sprites for surf instead of a blue blob. There are other mechanics that I enjoyed in gen like roller skates, inverse battles and primal reversions.

2. XY: nope. The story sucker and there was nothing to do post game except breed and get high streaks in maison.
ORAS: was okay. Liked the delta episode and the scenery was breathtaking. Post game was lacking things to do but not as horribly as XY. I had legends to SR, dexnav genderless and male only pokemon in cool Pokeballs in addition to the maison.

3. I'm looking forward to using all the new 'mons, Abilities and moves introduced. Try out gimmicky sets in battle tree doubles. I'm looking forward to battling with and against old characters like Cynthia and wally. I'm excited to try out the festival plaza, poke pelago, poke rides and a lot of other features.

4. My plans for release day? Let's see.. other than refreshing my email inbox to see if flipkart has dispatched my pre ordered copy of sun and studying for exams nothing really. It sucks that my copy will arrive while I'm in the middle of an exam so it's an extra week of waiting for me :(

1) The idea of mega evolution seemed amazing to me. Pokemon evolving in the middle of a battle seemed totally awesome and it was. I really enjoy using mega evos (with my personal favourites being Mega Gardevoir and Mega Cham) and it's a shame no new ones are coming this gen.

2) Yes, I did. I was a noob and I didn't really care about story as long as I got to use all of the new Pokemon and megas.

3) Three things: Ultra Beasts, because I really want to see them in action and just use them.
New Pokemon, because they're new.
And Alolan Dugtrio, for reasons I've already explained.

I'm going to add on an extra bit to the question with what I'm not looking forward to. Z-Moves. You expect me to give up an item on a Pokemon to do a retarded pose? Hell no. Replacing Mega Evolution with this was an awful idea though.

4) Wish I could get home from school early and then play it as long as possible. Also, I have to wait until the 23rd for the release in my country, so screw everyone.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
1. What was your favourite part of Generation 6?
2. Overall, did you enjoy XY and ORAS?
3. What are you most looking forward to in Sun and Moon?
4. What are your plans for release day? (Personally, my local EB games is doing a midnight release party, so that's what I'll be doing.)
1. Hmm, well there was the introduction of Mega Pokemon and the Fairy-type though I think a lot of people are going to say that. To be a bit more original, how about the Pokemon world finally jumping to full 3D and not doing that bad of a job? Yes, for some time the environments were 3D sprite renders and sprites were still used for overworld characters and the Pokemon in-battle. Gen VI finally brought everything to the third dimension (well, mostly everything, we still have sprites or the menu and items), most notably character and Pokemon models. With Sun & Moon using graphics equal to that of the in-battle graphics of Gen VI, you can sort of see Gen VI as the transition point between the sprite games and Sun & Moon, mainly with the overworld. Gen VI used chibi-esque overworld models to try and blend the older games overworld sprites with the new jump to 3D, and I quite liked them. ORAS brought it up a notch by making them more expressive, giving characters more movement and facial animations. It still felt like I was playing a Pokemon game; not saying Sun & Moon won't but it's not as easily recognizable as the camera hanging over a chibi-fied version of the Pokemon World.
Oh, and also bringing us to 3D gave us Pokemon-Amie (and Pokemon Refresh in Sun & Moon), finally letting us play and take care of our Pokemon; something which has felt to be missing from despite the constant point about you should be bonding with Pokemon being brought up.

2. Overall? Yes, though I did feel the games were lacking in various things. XY's story was disappointing, moreso with them setting so many things up for Z version which never happened. There was also a lack of post game content, once again something which is usually saved for a third version that XY never got. I didn't feel this was quite as bad as in ORAS, they updated the story and included some important post game content like able to get all Mega Stones and catching all non-Event Legendaries. However what brought it down was it sticking too close to its root games, Ruby & Sapphire, and taking barely anything from Emerald, most notably the Battle Frontier (and Gym Leader rematches). However for what each installment gave us I did enjoy, from locations to characters to mysteries. And of course the new Pokemon (or new forms) I liked, especially those which either were based on animals/myth/thing we've been wanting to see as a Pokemon or stood out on their own merit.

3. The Island Challenge. While I wasn't tired of the Pokemon League at the same time I also wanted something new. This is a nice compromise, being something new but vaguely resembling the Pokemon League that it doesn't feel we're playing a side game. I'm also curious about the story from Team Skull, the Aether Foundation, and of course the Ultra Beasts. How does it fall fit together and what does it mean for the Pokemon World's lore? And bringing it back to the Pokemon, its always fun to see how the new Pokemon battle and if it fits your play style (and there's also the Poke Rides, Pokemon Refresh, Poke Finder, and Poke Pelago to expand on your interaction with Pokemon both new and old).

4. I got a day off on that day and the two after so I plan on going down to the Game Stop early so I can get home early and spend the majority of those 3 days playing through.

1. Touching Pokemon in Pokemon-amie.
2. Eh, not really. Besides the ridiculous over-hyping the games themselves were pretty damn meh.
3. Touching more Pokemon.
4. Go to the store and eenie-meenie-minie-mo which version I want and then buy it. And then connect my 3DS to the internet.

There are only three days until the official release of Generation Seven
Europe ;;

Customization without a doubt was really cool since I didn't like some of the previous protagonists clothes.
Yes, people complain far to much.
Everything, these games look to damn good.
I'm getting the downloadable version on the eshop so basically a normal day but with Pokemon Moon in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)