Gabite

[OVERVIEW]

• Good typing gives it only three weaknesses, and resistances to Fire and Rock
• Eviolite gives it respectable bulk, which combined with its typing allows it to reliably set up rocks and check prominent threats in tier, such as Pawniard, Monferno, Golem, Kadabra, and Relicanth.
• Excellent stab combination allows it to deal out some damage, while toxic cripples walls
• Access to Stealth Rock, and able to set it up fairly reliably
• Four times weakness to ice means it is able to be ko'd by many Pokemon with ice coverage
• Faces competition from other rockers
• Lacks recovery outside of rest, meaning it is easily worn down
• While decent, its bulk is too low to take many powerful attacks
• Relies on Eviolite for bulk, meaning it can get crippled by knock off or trick
• Status severely hinders it due to lack of recovery and halved attack in the case of burn

[SET]
name: Defensive Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Toxic / Roar
item: Eviolite
ability: Rough Skin
nature: Impish
evs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
• Stealth Rock provides entry hazards, allowing breakers and sweepers to score easier KOs
• Earthquake is Gabite's main form of damage, and allows it to defeat threats like Pawniard and Monferno
• Dragon Claw can hit foes that resist or are immune to Earthquake
• Toxic cripples walls that Gabite cannot do much to, like Audino, by putting them on a timer
• Roar can phase a sweeper who attempts to take advantage of Gabite
Set Details
========

• 80 Speed Evs allow it to outspeed neutral natured Pawniard
• 176 HP and 252 Defence Evs allow Gabite to take resisted hits with ease and shrug off most neutral physical attacks, even taking Choice Band Stoutland's Return/Frustration and +2 Monferno's Close Combat

Usage Tips
========

• Should use a Pokemon that it checks, like Monferno or Pawniard, to set up Stealh Rocks on the likely switches, allowing Gabite to support its team by pressuring switches
• If played recklessly, it will be worn down quickly due to lack of reliable or passive recovery, so it should ideally switch into an attack Gabite resists or is immune to

Team Options
========

• Fits on balance teams that would like a more bulky rocker
• Pokemon that struggle with Monferno and Pawniard appreciate Gabite's ability to check them, so Pokemon such as Rotom-F, Cyroganal, Articuno, and Simisage pair well, especially as the breakers appreciate rocks on the opponent's side
• Audino can sponge special attacks that can give Gabite a headache, and can even provide cleric support
- Spin Blockers like Misdreavus and Gourgeist can help keep rocks up against spinners

[SET]
name: Offensive Stealth Rock
move 4: Toxic
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
- Stealth Rock provides entry hazards
- Earthquake provides stab and hits for good damage
- Dragon Claw hits Pokemon immune to ground
- Toxic cripples wall by putting them on a timer

Set Details
========
• Max attack and an adamant nature are used to maximize damage output
• Full speed investment allows Gabite to outspeed neutral natured Monferno and base 80s.
- Rough Skin provides some chip damage against physical attackers
- Eviolite boosts defenses to respectable levels

Usage Tips
========
• This variant of Gabite should be used to lay down rocks and deal some damage to the other team
• Gabite's resistances and decent bulk allow it to have a fair amount of switch in opportunities

Team Options
========
• Balance teams that want a check to Monferno and Pawniard while also having rocks
• Ice types that struggle with Pawniard and Monferno pair well
• Spinblockers can keep rocks up

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Stone Edge hits Articuno and Cyroganal
• Outrage hits harder than Dragon Claw, but it locks Gabite in and confuses afterwards
• Choice Band can give Gabite some power, turning it into a wall breaker
• Choice Scarf turns Gabite into a fast cleaner, but it need the opponent's team to be heavily weakened
• Rest gives Gabite recovery, but makes it a sitting duck

Checks and Counters
===================

Ice Types:
• Ice types like Articuno and Cyroganal can easily kill Gabite with their STAB moves, although Cyroganal does not enjoy taking a hit
• Pokemon with ice type coverage can heavily damage or kill Gabite

Fairy Types:
• Clefairy is able to use Gabite as set up fodder if Gabite is more defensive in nature
• Mr Mime is crippled or killed by Earthquake, but can force out or kill Gabite

Powerful Attackers:
• Because it lacks recovery, powerful breakers like Dodrio, Stoutland, Floatzel, and Bouffalant can easily overwhelm Gabite

Taunt:
• Taunt prevents Gabite from setting up rocks or using Toxic, allowing it to potentially be taken advantage of

• Burn and Toxic wear Gabite down very quickly and, in the case of the former, leaves Gabite unable to do much damage

Last edited:
hey ik this is wip but that spread is totally outdated. it seems like you stole it from the old analysis i wrote which basically let it check waterfall carracosta. i think we can either make it 176 hp / 252 atk / 80 speed adamant (to outspeed pawniard) or just 252 atk / 4 spd / 252 speed adamant (to outspeed monferno and pawniard). i'll let other qc weigh in of course since i know megazard likes defensive, so there might be a possibility of a second set, but we'll see.

hey ik this is wip but that spread is totally outdated. it seems like you stole it from the old analysis i wrote which basically let it check waterfall carracosta. i think we can either make it 176 hp / 252 atk / 80 speed adamant (to outspeed pawniard) or just 252 atk / 4 spd / 252 speed adamant (to outspeed monferno and pawniard). i'll let other qc weigh in of course since i know megazard likes defensive, so there might be a possibility of a second set, but we'll see.
I think your spread looks very good. The faster one is a really good way to check Monferno especially

yeah defensive should be a set, iffy on choice band as i haven't really seen anyone use it. can the rest of the qc team give their opinions on this?

also all of the paragraphs need to be in bullet points, not just the overview

Lately I've tried defensive gabite and it's pretty cool. I'm using this:

Gabite @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Roar

Outspeeds Pawn by 1 point, can take stuff like +2 close combat from monferno even with some previous damage, only takes half from cb stout, which means it loses at least half of its health just from attacking you, is a good check to simisear's standard set and is overall a good answer to stuff like arbok, pawn and golem and it can even do ridiculous stuff like tanking cb ice punch from floatzel if you really need it. Pretty viable set overall imo, especially for more passive sets as we all know those tend to struggle with red monkeys and pawn.

Some replays with it against amberlamps and raiza for the seasonal (second one had less speed creep but it'd still have huge chances of tanking the ice punch).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-357622303
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-348727420

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ProfessorMasterChief please complete this

The second set should be:
name: Offensive Stealth Rock
move 4: Toxic
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe

And remember to do it in bullet point form

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)