FROSTBYTE (An offensive OU Hail RMT)

FROSTBYTE
*An Offensive OU Hail Team*

Preface:
It seems that the words “Hail” and “Stall” are synonymous nowadays. And for good reason! With pokes like Walrein, Regice, and Articuno, stall may very well be a Hail team’s claim to fame. But I find it sad that the other weather effects such as Sandstorm or Rain Dance can usually perform well on both stall teams and offensive teams. For quite awhile I considered Hail to be inferior to Sandstorm and Rain teams due to their lack of flexibility and offensive power. This is my experiment to prove to myself (and others) that Hail teams can sweep, crush, and destroy with the same speed and efficiency as teams with Swift Swim sweepers and angry Tyranitars. Also, for the record, this is only my second RMT (my other one was flamed to oblivion some time ago…). Anyway, here is the team:

-----
Lead:

Gliscor@Leftovers (Vem)
Jolly
252speed/ 88atk/ 168hp
Hyper Cutter
-Taunt
-Stealth Rock
-U-Turn
-Earthquake

An awesome lead that outspeeds most others and Taunts to prevent them from laying down the dreaded Stealth Rocks (which more than half of my team is weak to). Although it may seem like a weird choice for a Hail team, Gliscor's typing actually meshes quite well with the rest of my team. It is immune to ground (which Heatran attracts), it draws ice (which most of the team resists), and it resists fighting (which 4/6th of my team are weak to). The most common lead that outspeeds him is Azelf, which I can almost guarantee will taunt (only to be U-turned in the face). Gliscor’s Stealth Rocks combined with the eventual hail will give my attackers the edge. Also EQ is there for Metagross leads, which I never see.
-----

PermaHail:

Abomasnow@Life Orb (Yowie)
Adamant
4hp/ 252atk/ 252speed
-Swords Dance
-Ice Shard
-Seed Bomb
-Earthquake

The essential hail starter. My main goal was not to make Abomasnow useless after activating hail. I found the Swords Dance set quite flexible, as well as fitting the offensive theme. A swords danced, LO-boosted, STAB, priority Ice Shard is nothing short of deadly. Seed Bomb is there for STAB and coverage, and EQ is there to deal with fire/rock/steel types (assuming they don’t make me explode first…)
-----

Support:

Froslass@Brightpowder (Geisha)
Timid
225speed/ 216spAtk/ 40hp
-Confuse Ray
-Thunderwave
-Blizzard
-Thunderbolt

The embodiment of HAX, Froslass is quite an asset to my team. Along with status support, she also serves to frustrate and torment the opponent by abusing the hell outta Snow Cloak and the ParaFusion combo. She is also the only teammate packing an electric type move, so she’s the go to pokemon for Gyarados and such. STAB blizzard in the hail is…superb.
-----

RevengeKillah:

Weavile@Choice Band (Shivah)
Jolly
252atk/ 216speed/ 40hp
-Ice Punch
-Ice Shard
-Pursuit
-Low Kick

The ultimate in offensive Ice types, Weavile served as the inspiration for this entire team. She is my most potent physical attacker, as well as my favorite pokemon. Weavile’s STAB, banded Ice Punch usually equals death. Any Salamence that have been flippin out with the Dragon Dances meet a quick end via priority Ice Shard. Pursuit is used over night slash as it can still OHKO gengars, azelf, and alakazam. Low kick massacres Tyranitar and opposing Weavile. Yay for Weavile, for being so damn cool! (literally.)
-----

WallBreaker:

Glalie@Leftovers (Domo)
Impish
204hp/ 52atk/ 252speed
Ice Body
-Block
-Super Fang
-Ice Fang
-Explosion

This guy is a little different. The premise of this moveset is to make Glalie NOT suck by trapping walls with Block and using Super Fang to bring them within KO range of Ice Fang. Once the wall is down, I can either switch out or Explode on the newcomer. Looks good on paper but things like Shed Shell and Blisseys with Flamethrower ruin Glalie. Its experimental and a little gimmicky, but maybe it’ll work?
-----

SpecialSweeper:

Heatran@Choice Scarf (Vesuvius)
Naïve
252spAtk/ 252speed/ 4atk
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power (Grass)
-Explosion(!)

Say what? That’s right. Smack dab in the middle of a snowstorm is the fieriest pokemon ever to spew forth from Stark Mountain! The surprise factor alone should net me a win or two (kidding). Anyway, there’s a reason why he is here: To soak up the fire. It would be an understatement to say that my other pokemon attract fire attacks (helloooo Tangrowth). By switching Heatran into a fire attack aimed at my other pokes, I can get Flash Fire activated and proceed to sweep. Just like that. Freezing cold winter just turned into blistering hot, volcanic summer in an instant (I am such a dork. >_<)! Choice Scarf helps me outspeed Napes and kill with Earth Power
-----

Threats

-Tyranitar: Stone Edge and Sand Stream.
-Hippowdon: See above.
-Weavile: If it’s COMPLETELY maxed in speed, it can outspeed my own Weavile and kill it with Brick Break.
-Azelf: Outspeeds my lead, prevents me from laying SR while laying stones herself.
-Infernape: Has a SE hit for every pokemon on my team, as well as the speed to really sweep me. If I can get an earthquake in im fine though.
-Lucario: Same as Nape, but to a lesser extent.
-ScarfTran: Honestly, if I cant survive a hit and EQ this thing, Im toast.
-Machamp: Destroys Weavile, Heatran, Glalie, and Abomasnow. I don’t have any SE moves to hit it with either.
-Aerodactyl: Can revenge kill with Stone Edge.
-Agilgross: By the time I switch to a counter he’s already sweeping my team.
-Im prolly forgetting a BUNCH
-----

Conclusion:

My weakness to many common threats in OU, as well as lack of resistances, 4/6th ice type, and low defenses are big issues for this team. The fact that more than half my team is weak to Stealth Rock is…disturbing to say the least. Please help me patch up the holes in my team so FROSTBYTE can be the best offensive hail team out there. Thanks a bunch!

Instead of Weavile why dont you go with this?

Mamoswine@ChoiceBand
252 atk 252 speed
Earthquake
Ice shard
Icefang/Superpower
Stone edge

Always OHKO's Mence,IIRC.A choice banded Superpower should be able to take out T-tar.As for Heatran why won't you use ScarfTran?You can outspeed Infernape unless it's scarfed and you can beat it with Earth Power.I suggest you replace Gliscor with Swampert.It can help you check Agiligross to an extent.I hope you found this helpful.Nice hail team!

Hail doesn't grant Ice moves a boost, IIRC. Just makes Blizzard 100% accurate. Could be wrong.

Also, why not Stallrein over Glalie? He's got Super Fang too, and is ridiculous on Hail teams.

To SoulGamer: I choose weavile for speed. I guess that really doesnt matter considering Ice Shards priority and all but its gonna be real hard for me to let Weavile go. Its purely a personal thing, but I will definetly look into Mamoswine. And I chose Gliscor because he outspeeds many leads and can get a taunt in because preventing the enemy from laying down SR is the priority. Thanks for the advice on Mamo though! =D

To: Lucknade: Holy Crap...Your right! Bulbapedia dosent say Ice gets a boost in Hail. That...sucks. Why is Hail "nerfed" in that regard? Oh well, I edited out the comments in my RMT that mention Hail boosting Ice attacks...
And Ill look into Walrein, albeit a more offensive one then Stallrein.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hail doesn't grant Ice moves a boost, IIRC. Just makes Blizzard 100% accurate. Could be wrong.

Also, why not Stallrein over Glalie? He's got Super Fang too, and is ridiculous on Hail teams.
Correct, Hail does not grant Ice moves a boost.

Anyways, after analyzing your team, I noticed you have a rather large weakness to Mixed Infernape and Infernape in general packing Hidden Power Ice. Infernape outspeeds 4 out of the 6 Pokémon on your team and OHKOs each of them with its respective moves. I am specifically referring to Heatran, Glalie, Gliscor, and Abomasnow. In order to hit Infernape with an Earthquake, that requires prediction. Even if you switch Heatran into Infernape's fire move, it can strike back with Close Combat for the kill.

In addition, since you're calling Weavile your revenge killer, I suggest replacing Night Slash with Pursuit. You defiantly pack the power to outspeed (assuming they are not Choice Scarfed) and OHKO opposing Gengar's, Azelfs, Alakazams, etc and other prominent threats thanks to your Choice Band. Night Slash is good as a secondary STABed move, but not necessary on your Weavile.

Finally, a more detailed threat list would be helpful.

To: Symphonyx64
Night Slash replaced with Pursuit. Also, If I gave Froslass HP Flying or Psychic, is there any chance she could outspeed and OHKO non-scarfed Infernape (and Machamp for that matter)?

I say give it Psychic it should beat Nape after Stealth rock damage.Froslass should outspeed Nape but if it doesn't you might be safe because of Froslass's ability,Snow Cloak(I think that's the name of it.)

I say give it Psychic it should beat Nape after Stealth rock damage.Froslass should outspeed Nape but if it doesn't you might be safe because of Froslass's ability,Snow Cloak(I think that's the name of it.)
Well if I replace Thunderbolt with Psychic then I lose an Electric move to hit Gyara. Would replacing HP grass on Heatran with HP electric be a good move?

HP Grass is for Swampert,no?But yeah,dropping HP Grass for HP Electric sounds good since you have Abomasnow for taking out Ground types and such.Oh,and I remeber you saying that you chose Gliscor for his speed and Taunt.Azelf can do that too,he has Taunt,Stealth Rock,FireBlast,and Psychic.

symphonyx64

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
To: Symphonyx64
Night Slash replaced with Pursuit. Also, If I gave Froslass HP Flying or Psychic, is there any chance she could outspeed and OHKO non-scarfed Infernape (and Machamp for that matter)?
Good move.

As for your Froslass, she WILL be able to outspeed BUT deal between 64-76% damage with Psychic to non-scarfed Infernapes, so the answer is sadly no. As for Machamp, she is only capable of dealing 43-50% to a 252HP/0 Sp.def Machamp with Psychic.

In all honesty, in order to deal with Infernape, I would suggest simply running the Choice Scarf set for your Heatran since you lack a speedy revenge killer besides Weavile.

I forgot about Machamp. Looking at your team again, you also pack a significant Machamp weakness. Combined with DynamicPunch and Payback, also 4/6's of your team is OHKOed by those two moves.

Keep ThunderBolt on Froslass as it can OHKO any variant of Gyardos after Stealth Rock damage and in most cases OHKO 0 HP/0 Sp.def variants without Stealth Rock intervention

At this point, a threat list is very much needed. Thank you.

To DarkMario66: Yeah, I thought about using Azelf but I wasnt too sure because lead Azelf ALWAYS have taunt so it would be simple for the opponent to predict that and switch into something that doesnt mind being taunted. At least with Gliscor It could bluff as a baton passer. Plus isnt Azelf destroyed by Scarfed metagross leads? (Something Glis handles relatively well)

When Gyarados gets a DD, its all over for you.

Subtran will OHKO every member of your team once it gets a sub, which it will do pretty often with your choiced weavile.
Which is why I plan to use Froslass to kill it before it gets too speedy. If you would, could you provide some counters that I could employ for DDdos and Subtran, as opposed to simply saying I am weak to them?

Good move.

As for your Froslass, she WILL be able to outspeed BUT deal between 64-76% damage with Psychic to non-scarfed Infernapes, so the answer is sadly no. As for Machamp, she is only capable of dealing 43-50% to a 252HP/0 Sp.def Machamp with Psychic.

In all honesty, in order to deal with Infernape, I would suggest simply running the Choice Scarf set for your Heatran since you lack a speedy revenge killer besides Weavile.

I forgot about Machamp. Looking at your team again, you also pack a significant Machamp weakness. Combined with DynamicPunch and Payback, also 4/6's of your team is OHKOed by those two moves.

Keep ThunderBolt on Froslass as it can OHKO any variant of Gyardos after Stealth Rock damage and in most cases OHKO 0 HP/0 Sp.def variants without Stealth Rock intervention

At this point, a threat list is very much needed. Thank you.
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realise how nessesary a ScarfTran is to counter threats that are gonna have they're way with the rest of my team. Will Earth Power OHKO Infernape on the scarfed set?
And sorry about the threat list, Its really difficult to do hw, college apps, and RMT at the same time. It may take a while. >_<

Yet HW stinks,but I'm positive that an Eatrh Power coming from a 130 base sp.atk will OHKO Infernape.Plus not many people expect ScarfTran,well it.catches them off guard when I use one.It OHKO"s fellow Heatrans as well.

For a more offensive walrein, check this out.

Walrein@Leftovers Ice Body
Calm 252 Hp, 200 SpeD or Defense(your preference), 56 SpeA

Super Fang
Brine/Blizzard
Protect
Toxic/Subsitiute

This walrein can dish out quite some damage with super fang plus brine. With super fang doing 1/2 damage(requiring no attack evs) brine's effect kicks in doubling it to a base 130 attack without STAB. Or blizzard is always good because you've got 100% accuracy. Toxic stalls out those pesky walls. Protect is for Toxic or Hail damage and also leftovers+ice body recovery. Hope this helps!

symphonyx64

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I realise how nessesary a ScarfTran is to counter threats that are gonna have they're way with the rest of my team. Will Earth Power OHKO Infernape on the scarfed set?
And sorry about the threat list, Its really difficult to do hw, college apps, and RMT at the same time. It may take a while. >_<
If you're running Naive on ScarfTran, you can expect to do between 89-103% before Stealth Rock. Assuming you have Stealth Rock up, you have a fairly probable chance to OHKO

On the other hand, if you opt for Rash, Earth Power will deal between 98-115% before Stealth Rock. If you have Stealth Rock up, its a guaranteed OHKO, obviously.

Both of the above calculations are based on the assumption that the opposing Infernape is 0 HP/0 Sp.def and is at full health.

If you're running Naive on ScarfTran, you can expect to do between 89-103% before Stealth Rock. Assuming you have Stealth Rock up, you have a fairly probable chance to OHKO

On the other hand, if you opt for Rash, Earth Power will deal between 98-115% before Stealth Rock. If you have Stealth Rock up, its a guaranteed OHKO, obviously.

Both of the above calculations are based on the assumption that the opposing Infernape is 0 HP/0 Sp.def and is at full health.
Changed item to scarf. Kept Naive so explosion would do a tad more damage.

For a more offensive walrein, check this out.

Walrein@Leftovers Ice Body
Calm 252 Hp, 200 SpeD or Defense(your preference), 56 SpeA

Super Fang
Brine/Blizzard
Protect
Toxic/Subsitiute

This walrein can dish out quite some damage with super fang plus brine. With super fang doing 1/2 damage(requiring no attack evs) brine's effect kicks in doubling it to a base 130 attack without STAB. Or blizzard is always good because you've got 100% accuracy. Toxic stalls out those pesky walls. Protect is for Toxic or Hail damage and also leftovers+ice body recovery. Hope this helps!
Heyheyheyyy! Now this is the kind of Walrein I was looking for! I just might go for this set over Glalie. Thanks. ^_^

symphonyx64

Changed item to scarf. Kept Naive so explosion would do a tad more damage.

Heyheyheyyy! Now this is the kind of Walrein I was looking for! I just might go for this set over Glalie. Thanks. ^_^
You do the same amount of damage regardless if you keep Naive or change to Rash. If you decide to keep Naive, you are faster. If you switch to Rash, you lose the speed boost, but max out your Special Attack. I recommended staying with Naive to ouspeed or tie opposing ScarfTrans.

I think you are thinking of Modest (+Special Attack/-Attack).

Dont mean to bumb, but I just wanna thank all those who gave their input on my RMT. Went on serebii and pwned with Frostbyte on the wi-fi battles. 18 wins in a row! Thanks guys, especially you, Symphonyx64. =)

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, this is a pretty cool team, got your pm. There are a few changes I think you shoulf try out, however. First off, only use 216 Spe EVs on Gliscor. Having 216 Spe EVs means that you will always outspeed positive natured base 90 Pokemon such as Lucario and Roserade, and so you aren't getting any benifit out of running 252 Spe EVs. Now, I suggest using a different set on Abamasnow. While the idea of a Swords Dance Abamosnow is pretty cool, I don't think that it can work very well due to the common Scizor and its Choice Band Bullet Punches; Abamasnow really isnt a Pokemon suited to be a set-up sweeper, anyway. Instead, I would use a Choice Specs Abomosnow. This will really catch your opponent off guard, as well as doing major damage early in the game. I suggest using a set of Blizzard, Grass Knot, Hidden Power Fire, and Focus Punch; then, an EV spread of 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe and a Modest nature. Blizzard with Choice Specs is monstorously powerful. Focus Punch is mostly a filler move here but can be useful for predicting things like Blissey switchins.

While using Glalie seems like a fun idea, there are about a dozen Pokemon that make better wallbreakers than Glalie; however, due to everlasting Hail, a wallbreaker really is not a necessary addition to the team (if you can call Glalie that). What I think this team really needs is a Rapid Spin user; while Gliscor is good at shutting down slower leads from setting up Stealth Rock, he can't stop faster leads such as Infernape, Azelf, and Aerodactyl from setting it up. Stealth Rock hampers your team so much its not even funny, and that's why I'm suggesting changing Glalie to a Tentacruel. I suggest using a set of Toxic Spikes, Rapid Spin, Hidden Power Electric, and Surf. Then, an EV spread of 252 Hp / 120 Def / 136 SpD and a Calm nature, with the item Leftovers. Tentacruel is a solid choice on Hail teams, capable of both spinning away Rocks and setting up Toxic Spikes, which can be very bennifical to Hail teams. Hidden Power Electric also allows Tentacruel to act as a psuedo-check to Gyarados, if need be.

Hope I helped, and good luck! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)