Forum Search Option

Cathy

Banned deucer.
It works for me. Can you specify exactly what you are searching for? Extremely common words (e.g. "pokemon") may time out.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think what Arch is referring to is the fact that when you search for short keywords it does not give you any results. For example, searching for Little Cup gives:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : little, cup
And perhaps more oddly, a search for "Little Cup" (in all open forums) gives:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
Which is clearly inaccurate.

Google search is nice and better in many cases, but falls flat if you want to search for say, just a specific forum or posts from a specific time frame. Or want to see if a particular person has said a phrase.

Actually, testing what he searched for, it gives:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 35 bytes) in /var/www/smogon/public/forums/search.php on line 1160
Different error.

Yea....I should have placed the error in my first post. <.<

Well I guess it's always been glitchy then?

Yea....I should have placed the error in my first post. <.<

Well I guess it's always been glitchy then?
For me, the search tends to work best if you know specifically what you're looking for, like a single thread. It tends to not work really well if you're looking for topics on a general subject. Google would probably work better for that sort of thing.

Yea, i've had troubles with that too, like I was looking for an RMT I've seen with a Lead Starmie. so i typed in Lead Starmie, and it gave me an error.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can the "very common word" restriction be adjusted? Almost every word worth looking for is "very common" now. It's stupid.

Also, what's with the "no multiple searches within 30 seconds" deal? Is there a reason why this is still implemented? It's very annoying to get around when you've typed in the wrong word or something.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's a common VB feature, because searches take up a lot of server load. It would be easy to overload the server without it.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I really dont like the search bar that we have here.
Really? Thanks for the specific criticism. We'll get on fixing that.

As for the VB stuff, I've noticed it is broken too. The search index probably needs rebuilding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)