ORAS UU First RMT (peaked just over 1500)

This is my first RMT I've posted so please don't expect much.

*rotom-heat ruins everything*​

This team was built mostly for fun as mostly I just wanted to use endeavor mamoswine. However, it ranked me up to just over 1500 (impressive since I'm actually pretty bad) and one a few room tours (yeah I know that doesn't really mean much).

nipple tusks (Mamoswine) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Endeavor
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
For real mamoswine has the weirdest shuffle sprite ever. So getting right into it I knew I wanted to use endeavor mamoswine on a more offensive/balanced team. He's honestly so fun and versatile to use. Send him out first on the majority of hazard setters, roserade especially, that expect you to throw out your own rocks. Or expect them to predict your ice mammoth and lead off with something that should OhKo you. You're then free to either hit them hard, or retaliate with endeavor off the bat to bring them down to 1% with you after the sash kicks in. You're now an ice shard away from taking there fist mon. I love this strategy especially as once you get your early kill, you can save mamo to later endeavor on one of their walls putting it in perfect revenge kill range. On the other hand, thanks to sash mamo can be a handy win condition to clutch at the last turn with his eq/icicle crash and ice shard combo.

bully (Granbull) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Super Fang
- Play Rough​

The first thing that came to mind was dealing with mamoswine's weaknesses to fighting, fire, and water especially since these are all common offensive moves in UU. So I threw on Granbull to eat any offensive moves (especially fighting) which he does with impressive ease. Granbull is deceptively bulky, coupled with intimidate, there's rarely a dragon type that enjoys meeting this dog. Heal bell is extremely helpful in order to keep my other mons healthy as this team lacks reliable recovery. Toxic and super fang are just too annoying and leave fat walls frustrated as they fail to recover any hp. Play rough finnishes off Granbull's victims and packs a decent punch thanks to the 120 base attack.

dynamite (Empoleon) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Flash Cannon/Ice Beam
- Roar
- Defog​

Secondly, I knew I needed hazards off the field in order for the focus sash endeavor strategy to work. Empoleon was the perfect fit with both access to defog as well as resistance to poison and steel for Granbull, and water for Mamo. Chople berry is so clutch for me when I play, close combats rarely do over 50% and thanks to the spdef drop usually leaves the cobalions and infernapes to the mercy of sclad. Speaking of, scald of course is a nice safe option and can cause some unfortunate rage quits (to be fair there's rarely a UU team that doesn't run it on at least one of their mons). Ice beam and flash cannon have been a toss up and I have gone back and fourth way to often but as of now I prefer ice beam for its ability to hit ground types. Finally roar is necessary to shew away any unwanted gyarados that think they can set up in my face.

mittens (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Trick​

At this point I realized a ground weakness was starting to form, and I still needed a decent(ish) fire resist. I choose scarfed Rotom-Heat to provide these resistances as well as add some speed to the team. Scarf is necassary to outspeed gyarados after one dragon dance and kill with volt switch. Overheat scares away forretress and trick allows for some more options with dealing with fat stally mons.

big man on campus (Machamp) @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Knock Off​

Assault vest Machamp is without a doubt my new favorite toy in UU. I think it's been one shot like once. It's almost impossible to kill quickly and hits back like a truck. Confusion from dynamic punch adds salt to the wound and bullet punch seals the deal. If you haven't played around with this monster at least once you're missing out.

gains (Swampert-Mega) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
Mega Swampert rounds off the team with both the ability to set up rocks and tear down enemy mons with its whopping 438 attack. Swampert's only weakness is grass, which is nicely covered by rotom (as well as machamp if special and granbull if physical), and with the investment in hp he's no easy task to take down. Ice punch is good coverage, especially if you predict the obvious grass switch as it easily OhKos roserade and sceptile among others.

Threats:

Yes I know, Gyarados, possibly the most common water type in the tier bar cune, and it scares the heck out of me. Basically I can deal with it if I correctly predict the set. Empoleon beats it if it doesn't carry eq, rotom wins if it does and I switch in safely (normally I rely on machamp to bait the bounce). Either way, I don't like it and neither does my team.

Stupid. Pink. Fish. I blame HellfireCancer for my hatred of this thing. Most of the time people think it's cool or something to run blissey with this. Well my only real chance against this is that I need to first kill blissey with machamp or pert and then toxic this so it can't be heal belled.

This team is far from perfect but I'm fairly proud of it and any constructive, or even downright mean, criticism will be appreciated and immensely helpful. This is my first real post here, even though I've been on since like march of 2014, so if my layout is bad or if I've missed anything out guidance on these would also be appreciated.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi there AFoolOfATook! The team looks cool, but there are some tweaks that need to be done, so here we go!
  • Endeavor Mamoswine is normally used as a lead, but with Stealth Rock being on Mega Swampert, I suggest running Life Orb > Focus Sash and Thick Fat > Oblivious as this gives Mamoswine an Ice resist while neutralizing its Fire weakness. Endeavor and Life Orb can work well to wear down bulky Waters that lack a form of semi-reliable recovery such as Gyarados, helping your team's weakness against it.
  • While I love Granbull, it just isn't as good as other Fairies UU have to offer. Since you lack a win condition, I suggest running CM Florges > Granbull as this gives you a reliable win condition, a Mega Blastoise check, and still gives you a decent Fighting check. CM Florges also runs Aromatherapy, which still gives the team cleric support.
  • I suggest running at least 44 Speed EVs on Mega Swampert so it can outspeed Florges and damage it quicker, potentially taking it down fairly easily. This also means it may be easier to run Ice Beam on Empoleon and not having to decide between Flash Cannon and Ice Beam.
  • Speaking of Empoleon, HP Electric > Roar can be a nice option as it can take care of Gyarados fairly easily as it OHKOes after Stealth Rock damage and the phazing isn't really necessary otherwise as this team applies enough offensive pressure to force switches.
  • While I like Rotom-Heat, I feel like it still leaves you pretty weak to your threats as they both have super effective STAB against it. That is why I suggest running Rotom-Cut > Rotom-Heat as this gives you a secondary Water resist and it gives you a great "bulky-Water killer". I also suggest the Choice Specs set is necessary as it can force Alomomola to heal itself or switch out and the team doesn't give too many opportunities for Gyarados to set up.
Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick

Hope I helped you and congrats on the rank! n_n

NV thanks so much for the advice.
Since I play mostly for fun I'm gonna keep my Granbull and mamoswine as is.
However the advice on Swampert, Empoleon, and Rotom are immense and will definitely be tested. Swampert was definitely lacking speed when confronted with the flower fairy and Empoleon being able to knock out gyara is the best thing I've heard all day. Rotom-C sounds super dope as the microwave definitely wasn't pulling his weight.
Thanks again man. And about the rank, I fell to a solid 1300 again while testing new teams haha

Reactions: nv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)