Pokémon Feraligatr

Status
Not open for further replies.
SubPunch detracts from the natural advantages of picking Feraligatr, Life Orb boosted Sheer Force attacks. Substitute cuts your health and Focus Punch uses Life Orb damage and isn't necessary when a fighting move is only required to get past something like Ferrothorn with a +2 Superpower, and even then I'd argue you're better off just trapping it or having something else deal with it. Feraligatr has great immediate power and good boosting moves, and SubPunch does not capitalize on its strengths.

Here's a set for Hyper Offensive Feraligatr.

Feraligatr@Life Orb
Jolly Nature
252 atrack 252 Spd 4 Def
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
-Reurn/Crunch
Superpower.

With 252 attack EVs, a 30% increase in power, and another 30% increase with Sheer Force and life orb, you have a 60% increase at the cost of added effects of moves, who needs boosts? That is 10% better than a choice band. A Jolly nature and max Speed EVs to outspeed common threats, and this becomes a Hyper Offensive threat to all. I guess you say its GATR TIME!!

Is Adamant Feraligatr worth it? It gains lots of extra power, but it'll get outsped by positive natured base 70s such as jolly loomer.
Thoughts?

Is Adamant Feraligatr worth it? It gains lots of extra power, but it'll get outsped by positive natured base 70s such as jolly loomer.
Thoughts?
Nah, I don't think so personally. If it had a few extra points of speed so it could match dos maybe; but as is Jolly Gator outdamages Adamant Dos so I don't feel it's worth it.

Aside from scarfers, the only relevant things that Adamant Gatr can't outspeed at +1 while Jolly can are Mega Lopunny and Manectric. With Jolly +1, you can still one shot Mega Lopunny but you're gonna need hazards/prior damage to OHKO Mega Manectric with Waterfall after the Intimidate.

Bulky Swords Dance:

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 72 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch

This is a set more viable for Bulky Offense. 248 Maximizes HP, 188 adamant Makes it a Monster in attack. 72 Makes it more bulky in Sp.Def. Waterfall is the main STAB, Aqua Jet Gives priority (we are not faster, so), Ice Punch Touches Dragon and Grass type

Best Sprite ever

Bulky Swords Dance:

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 72 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch

This is a set more viable for Bulky Offense. 248 Maximizes HP, 188 adamant Makes it a Monster in attack. 72 Makes it more bulky in Sp.Def. Waterfall is the main STAB, Aqua Jet Gives priority (we are not faster, so), Ice Punch Touches Dragon and Grass type

Best Sprite ever
188 Attack and 72 SpD are a bit exact; can you give us the reasons why you chose these and what benchmarks they reach?

Feraligatr don't have a good SpDef. 72 SpD gives it extra Bulky. 188 Attack Becuse I preferred to sacrifice a bit of attack than HP

But why those specific numbers?
I'm not sure if he has a specific reason...

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 76 SpD Feraligatr: 324-384 (86.8 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 76 SpD Feraligatr: 306-362 (82 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Zapdos has same Sp. Atk so counts for both)

252 SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 76 SpD Feraligatr: 314-372 (84.1 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
188 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 149-177 (50.1 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It always survives a Scarf T-Bolt from Magnezone, remainder dumped in Atk, hits enough to OHKO Talonflame after SR on an Ice Punch switchin? That's.. all I can gather on it tbh.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, could a sub-DD set potentially work? The last slot would be between Ice Punch or Crunch.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The reason is that for hidden ability worldwide releases like this instance, the event is released when it is the given date in Japan. And, well, as of a few hours ago it is the 27th in Japan because of timezones and such.
Anyways, I think feraligatr will have a decent place in OU, interested to see how it goes in practice.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I love Feraligatr, and I was actually pretty intrigued to hear that it both got its ability and that its ability made it hit harder than Mega Gyara. As soon as I new that, I ran right over to the team builder, opened up the calc...and got nothing. Even with Feraligatr's bulk and lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, I can't seem to think of what this thing sets up on that (Mega) Gyarados doesn't do 10000x better. In fact, I can't think of anything Feraligatr really wants to set up on in OU at all. Heatran I guess, but even then it has to fear the burn. TTar too, I suppose. But other than that, Gyarados's Intimidate + Flying typing does it a lot of good in terms of setting up on stuff like Landorus and Keldeo. I'm certainly not saying Feraligatr is outclassed or that he shouldn't be used in OU. I'm just genuinely asking, what in the world does this thing set up on?

Also what moves do you think are best? At first I assumed Superpower for Ferrothorn, but I think Crunch being able to hit Slowbro, Mew, and stuff is also useful. Plus, lowering your attack stat is no fun.

On an SD set, I usually run Waterfall, Crunch and Aqua Jet. On a DD set, you don't need Aqua Jet as much, so you could possibly run Waterfall / Crunch / Ice Punch.
I think the only mon that Gatr can set up on that Mega Dos can't is Magic Guard Clefable.

I love Feraligatr, and I was actually pretty intrigued to hear that it both got its ability and that its ability made it hit harder than Mega Gyara. As soon as I new that, I ran right over to the team builder, opened up the calc...and got nothing. Even with Feraligatr's bulk and lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, I can't seem to think of what this thing sets up on that (Mega) Gyarados doesn't do 10000x better. In fact, I can't think of anything Feraligatr really wants to set up on in OU at all. Heatran I guess, but even then it has to fear the burn. TTar too, I suppose. But other than that, Gyarados's Intimidate + Flying typing does it a lot of good in terms of setting up on stuff like Landorus and Keldeo. I'm certainly not saying Feraligatr is outclassed or that he shouldn't be used in OU. I'm just genuinely asking, what in the world does this thing set up on?

Also what moves do you think are best? At first I assumed Superpower for Ferrothorn, but I think Crunch being able to hit Slowbro, Mew, and stuff is also useful. Plus, lowering your attack stat is no fun.
I think Feraligatr's DD set is more likely to be played as a bit of a budget Gyarados (kind of like people saw Manectric vs Raikou in earlier XY), but Feraligatr has one other option: SD.

With Swords Dance and a LO backing it, Feraligatr can run over bulkier teams. Even without STAB, Crunch still proves decent neutral coverage
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Crunch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 187-221 (53.1 - 62.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And Aqua Jet still hits decently hard (+1 used for similar boost comparison)
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Feraligatr Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 121-144 (35.4 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 120-142 (35.1 - 41.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

LO and Sheer Force gives Feraligatr the same level of power as an Azumarill at the same boost level (CB being a +1). DD and higher speed also means it's less dependent on Aqua Jet against faster teams, and on the physical side it's actually slightly bulkier than Azumarill, who finds a few chances to set up w/ Belly Drum cutting its HP (though obviously for a more obscene boost).

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 298-352 (87.3 - 103.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 247-292 (79.4 - 93.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Feraligatr's 78 speed can't outpace Base 145 at +1, so the next benchmark is Lopunny/Mega Manectric, which would entail 220 EV's Jolly (271 Speed * 1.5 = 406.5), leaving 36 HP or Defense if you go Jolly. Adamant hits 255 max, so I'd say relevant there is 241, which at +1 outpaces Base 115 (Houndoom, Starmie, Raikou) and leaves 60 HP.

Also, as far as Ferrothorn: is there any other target for Superpower? Because if not

0- SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 164-195 (46.5 - 55.3%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

And doesn't drop your offenses or defenses.

I've found Mega Manectric to be a great partner for Feraligatr. Here is a fun little core that I made :]

Mega Manectric + Feraligatr is a nice core that I have recently been messing around with. The premise of the core is that Mega Manectric utilizes Volt Switch to wear down opponent's checks and counters to Feraligatr, and has great offensive synergy with Feraligatr. Mega Manectric can easily take on most of Feraligatr's checks and counters, such as Rotom-W, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Breloom, Keldeo, Chesnaught, Azumarill etc. Feraligatr also handles the Pokemon that can defeat Mega Manectric, such as Chansey, Clefable, Excadrill in Sand, Scarf Landorus-T, etc.
Feraligatr's powerful wallbreaking abilities, also allow it to weaken Pokemon on the opponent's team, so that Mega Manectric can easily clean up with Thunderbolt. In turn, Mega Manectric can weaken stuff to the point that Feraligatr can easily set up an SD and go to town. This core is also never really deadweight against any type of team archetype. Against HO teams, Feraligatrs strong Aqua Jet and decent bulk allow it to beat many HO mons such as Landorus-T, Gengar, and Talonflame. Mega Manectric can also outspeed common non Scarf Pokemon on HO teams, such as Keldeo, and acts as a great offensive check to Talonflame. Against Stall teams, Feraligatr can easily set up an SD or two, and then go to town. Against Balanced teams, Mega Manectric and Feraligatrs offensive pressure can easily break through mixed walls, and these days, balanced teams rarely carry two or more answers against Mega Manectric, both of which lose to Feraligatr. (Scarf Landorus-T and Clefable) Feraligatr can also run a DD set in this core, but I find SD to be more effective against stall teams.

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)