Fashionably Bulky, The Only Bulk To Go (2000+ Testing)

First off, credit must go where credit is due. This team was originally created by happyface69, and I've been going around helping him test it and find any issues. Nonetheless, I am Banner, and this is my first X/Y RMT.

Currently, this team is still under testing, but under my provisional of 135, I'm hanging in there with a rating of 2043. happyface69 wanted a team that had the bulk to withstand the new Gen VI threats and still come out offensively. Which is why some choices are the way they are.

Team At A Glance:

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Roost

The LO set of Ho-Oh gives a good extra bit of oompf with a powerful Brave Bird, and Sacred Fire for a bit of extra coverage. The Tailwind can be used first turn it's out or if you can outspeed as it's sent off for fodder so the rest of the team can have that upper edge. Still, SR is a thing, and a great weakness to Ho-Oh, but with Regenerator, on a safe switch-in, we can live at least two switch-ins, from half. Roost for general recovery and the loss of Flying can be crucial in surviving Zekrom's Bolt Strike, which took around 63% from a couple experiences. The EV spread settles around hitting hard and being a Special Wall, which is does extremely well, although the weakness to Physical Rock moves heavily hinder it. Adamant's used as Brave Bird's the hardest STAB, and Sacred Fire gets the Weather Boost from Sun as most Groudon without Stone Edge cannot really touch Ho-Oh except for the T-Wave.

Dialga @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Dialga's set is different than a usual set. Being Steel, we instantly have a mon with a powerful STAB against Fairys, ie: Xerneas, in Flash Cannon. Draco Meteor's the secondary STAB dealing a great deal of damage to the other common Dragons like Rayquaza, Kyurem-White/Black, and Zekrom. Stealth Rocks for switch-in damage, especially for other Ho-Oh, Rayquaza, and Kyurem formes. Earth Power over Stone Edge because of higher base Stats, which the Modest nature helps even further. The EV spread is basic again, maxing in HP and SAtk so again, to be bulky and still be able to hit really hard.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Scarf'd Kyogre's a major threat on any Ubers team, and this mammoth of a Special Wall can sweep, and has frequently done so. Scarf Kyogre can outspeed a lot of opposing threats like Arceus and Specs Kyogre. The STAB Water Spout has the ability to nearly OHKO an opposing Xerneas, and EASILY OHKOs any form of Groudon that wants to try and do something. Surf is the secondary STAB for late-game instead of Water Spout, and Ice Beam for the Dragon coverage like Zekrom. Thunder's for the opposing Kyogre or if a misprediction happened earlier in the game, you can just spam Thunder as death fodder while dealing a huge amount of damage. The Timid nature ensure extra Speed, and the EV spread does massive damage and again, continues to use the bulk to survive as long as possible.

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Recover
- ExtremeSpeed

Ahh...Silk Scarf Arceus. Very strong and very powerful. Silk Scarf being the item, so we'll have a increased STAB in Extreme Speed. Getting a +2 Priority on anything is great, and the power in this Arceus is unreal. Swords Dance for the setups we don't care about, or for an obvious switch. Recover if we start needing to stall out, then predict the switch for a free +2 in SD. Extreme Speed is incredibly powerful on this Arceus at Max Atk, and the calcs below will show it. Shadow Claw's for the opposing Giratina that we otherwise, wouldn't be able to hit at all, though Giratina has such good bulk, it's a good counter to this team. The EV spread is basic still, being a Special Wall, as well as a Physical Wall naturally, and hitting hard. Adamant ensures this as well. The reasoning for a Silk Scarf over a Life Orb, which is more common and yes, hits slightly harder, is because we wanted the Arceus to live and sweep as long as we could without having to fear LO damage so an opposing mon can revenge kill and stop the sweep.

+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 339-400 (86 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
+4 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 510-600 (129.4 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Xerneas: 265-313 (58.1 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Groudon: 204-240 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Groudon: 304-358 (75.2 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+4 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 322-381 (105.9 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Psycho Boost

Deoxys-Attack is another powerhouse, but not so much on the defensive side. The weakest mon on this team defensively, so happyface69 decided to use a Focus Sash instead of a LO set. Generally, studying the opponent's Team Preview aids this set, as 9/10 we'll lead with Deoxys-A. Hit for a powerfully 65 base Knock Off for nearly any wall that could come in. Since any hit can pretty much knock us down to our Sash, so we'll fodder off an E-Speed or potentially another move. Superpower's for coverage, as well as Psycho Boost. Darkrai's aren't a big threat to this team, as just a single SuperPower instantly OHKOs any and all Darkrai. The EV spread still going basic as much attack as we can and a little bit of Special Bulk, and the Hasty nature is well...pretty self-explanatory.

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

A threat to our own team, this Giratina can wall just about anything. Support Giratina can live anything from Kyogre, only hitting a maximum of 20.2% from a full health Water Spout, and literally nothing is taken from Giratina's health from a Thunder or Surf. Will-O-Wisp for general burn across the board, hitting Mega-Kangaskhan to be worthless and not being able to touch us at all. Defog's used for Hazard removal, so we don't break Deoxys-A's Focus Sash. Roar for the setups, and Shadow Ball for some form of Attack if we get Taunted. The EV spread does a lot for being basic, walling a lot of threats. Calm provides even more bulk, as do the Leftovers.

Giratina: Just by it's sheer ability to wall even a +2 Shadow Claw from Arceus gives us enough to start worrying about how the rest of it will go, considering the oncoming Will-O-Wisp afterwards.

Arceus: Since we're not Jolly...there is the possibility that opposing Arceus that are can setup a Swords Dance then outspeed and start sweeping.

Xerneas: If we don't have a good enough setup on our Arceus or Deoxys-Attack(Knock Off the Power Herb), there's really not much we can do to a +2 SAtk, +2 SDef, +2 Spe can start sweeping.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-74336999

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Roost

Dialga @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
- Recover
- ExtremeSpeed

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Psycho Boost

Giratina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Roar
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

the poke sweeper

Pokémon Master
The team is pretty well put so congrats on Happyface for that. Appreciate the threatlist btw, makes the whole process easier. I personally run a lum berry on Arceus just because of tina but im not too sure if a +2 shadow claw can 2hko tina( I run a jolly arceus and im too familiar with the calculations of an adamant Arceus.) As for your other threats, there is nothing i can say about those other than to try to play around then.

Using a Jolly Arceus, if we get a SD off on a switch into Tina, the calc would be:

+2 252 Atk Arceus Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 248-292 (49.2 - 57.9%) -- 57.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And on the Adamant Arceus, same situation:

+2 252+ Atk Arceus Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 272-320 (53.9 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So, Tina's going to be an issue for whatever we do, and Arceus is really our main way out of it, the other being a Deoxys-A Knock Off, which btw does:

252 Atk Deoxys-A Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Giratina: 232-274 (46 - 54.3%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

So that turn, if we dealt the exact average of damage, Lefties are knocked down, and so from there we're left with a small chance to 3HKO this thing, but by then with WoW's buff, we'll more than likely be burned or hit with a Shadow Ball. Tina's one annoying mon, so we're still trying to find a way to make it easier to take this thing down quicker without making our sweepers get burned to a crisp and not able to sweep.

Right now the only problems I see for the team as a whole are a relative weakness to Toxic Spikes. Now you have a defogger and just about all the major T. Spikes users are checked by at least one pokemon on your team, but the problem still remains. You praise Giratina as a gargantuan wall but if it gets Toxic'd it has no way to shrug it off like a resttalk build or a Giratina-O would.

I also personally stopped running Flash Cannon on Dialga because I feel like it doesn't do any good against Geomancy Xerneas, which is (from my experience at least) the most common type. I've found that after it boosts, Flash Cannon doesn't do a very significant amount of damage no matter what spread you use (barring a crit). I always felt like I could deal with it better with either a physical steel attack (which something besides Dialga can run), a status move (and even that's iffy), or just to Phaze it (good for getting them to ragequit).

idk though, I'll test the team out for a few hours and then get back to you with more thoughts. This post is reserved until then.

Your opponent in that replay clearly didn't know what he was doing. It was a perfect example of why you should always put Toxic on Forretress. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when he Red Carded you at +6 though.

EDIT: FURTHER THOUGHTS.
So one thing I noticed about the team is that it has a real nasty weakness to Arceus-Rock. Nothing can touch it physically and if sand is up it's very hard to deal with using special attackers. Nothing on your team likes getting Will-O-Wisped except for Ho-Oh who is immune, and he can get OHKO'd by rock Judgment. The easiest solution to this would be to run EQ over Recover on Arceus, since this will give it a super-effective attack against what would otherwise be a counter. However, I'm not completely sure that was the right call. Maybe I'm just not seeing this team's counter to Rockceus, but it seems like a big issue to me.

Since most of the team relies so heavily on speed, Thunder Wave can be problematic. Sticky Web too, but that's less common and Defog takes care of it. These won't interrupt Arceus sweeps (unless he gets parahax'd) but they can seriously cripple Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and even Deoxys.

Other than that, not much else to say. Aside from Giratina, the team is pretty frail, but that's fairly typical of hyper-offense teams in this format.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)