False Prediction (OU Balanced Surprise)

False Prediction - An Underused Sets Team

Back in the far long reaches of the Genesect Era, I created a team called "Malprediction". It was a modest success. Now, in this Tornadus-T free, Genesect free, possibly Deo-D free metagame, I decided to make a new version of the team, since the old one was horribly outdated, and is now relagated to Ubers since it had Genesect in it.

Team Building
I started off with my defensive Kyurem-B - my main success story from the old Malprediction team, now imbued with Zekrommy goodness. The combination of Substitute and Roost, as well as an uninvested attack stat higher than the physical sweeper of this team, you can see what makes the set good, so this time I made sure I used it once more.

I also really wanted to try out Banded Ferrothorn, and whilst it doesn't compliment Kyurem-B amazingly well, it's a great pokemon in it's own right.

I added Flame Charge Heatran to the team next, to provide a special sweeper to the team, since most Heatran are specially defensive, and I wanted to have an unusual sweeper.

Inspired by SubSalac Terrakion and SubPetaya Empoleon, I devised myself a SubSalac Tornadus set with Bulk Up to provide a physical sweeper to the team. Since Tornadus is synonymous with Hurricane spam, it may be strange to see it outside of a rain team, however, people still expect it to be a special set, so switch in their special walls only to see me sub up.

With Heatran and Ferrothorn on the team, I decided it would make sense to use a water type to complete the core. I opted for a Dual Screens Rotom-W. Why? Because it's never used. Ever. If you see Rotom-W what runs through your mind? Trick Scarf or Will-o-Wisp - mostly Will-o-Wisp. I chose Thunder Wave due to it's better accuracy, and ability to shut down sweepers of both types to support the two screens, and finally Volt Switch to allow it to switch out after setting things up.

Finally, this team has one more member. The mighty Landorus-Therian. Well aware I was short a stealth rock setter, I opted for a suicide lead set with a normal gem and EXPLOSION.

After some testing, Heatran wasn't working out. My lack of a scarfer was also causing me to suffer. I opted for Scarf Espeon, because of it's speed tier and SpA...

...but quickly changed it to Keldeo when I noticed it's movepool...

...and then again changed to to ScarfGar when I remembered that Scarfdeo was pretty much standard.

The Team In-Depth

Offensive Core
Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gengar is the result of a lot of changes in the team. It was chosen because it's pretty much infamous for it's SubDisable set (to the point that my friend wants it relegated to ubers), yet it still has all of the stats necessary for it to function as a nifty revenge killer. In addition, it even helps keep Stealth Rocks on the field, which are vital for some match-ups. Shadow Ball is chosen for STAB, and Sludge Wave is chosen over Sludge Bomb for the extra power, and also because I don't particularly want my opponents to be standard-poisoned when I may wish to Thunder Wave them. Thunderbolt provides additional coverage, hitting Politoed, Keldeo and more, whilst Hidden Power Ice hits dragons and Landorus.

Regarding EVs and Nature, Timid is chosen to outspeed other scarfers, and the EVs maximize the revenge killing ability through max speed and power. The other 4 EVs I don't really care about, tbh.

-

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Payback
- Explosion

Banded Ferrothorn doesn't really have much of a movepool, or an attack stat so the idea of a Choice Banded Ferrothorn is one that catches 99% of players off-guard, and that 1% are mostly noobs. Power Whip and Gyro Ball are pretty obvious STAB attacks, with the high base power of Power Whip that Ferrothorn needs so desperately. Payback hits Gengar, as well as Latias-not-carrying-HP-Fire, but most importantly Celebi who may switch in to take the Leech Seed. Explosion is just kind of there, and is something I don't often use but is a good measure to have available.

With EVs, Nature and IVs, there is little to explain. Brave and 0 Speed IVs is to maximize Gyro Ball's power, and the max HP grants me maximum longetivity, which is good because 'Thorn will always be taking a hit. 252 Attack EVs, and Brave nature raise it's attack as high as possible for the Choice Band to finish up.

-

Tornadus (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Defiant
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Bulk Up
- Brick Break

Tornadus-T just got banned, so it's slower, but more potent other form comes out to play from the depths of UU. To be honest, I expect Tornadus to return to OU with it's hurricane spam, but that's not for this thread - nor is it my set!

Tornadus outside of rain is a strange idea to many people, and there will be those who will see my thread and be like "Wut, y u no hurricane?". The answer, of course, lies in the fact that this is a team celebrating underused sets, so using it's classic hurricane set would go against that.

Substitute is chosen to activate the Salac Berry. Thanks to Tornadus's Stealth Rock weakness, switching in on SR doesn't affect the amount of HP I land on - only how soon. Speaking of HP, the 4 HP EVs allow it to land exactly on 1/4 of it's health (75 HP), just low enough to activate the Salac Berry. Whilst sub'd, it attempts to get off as many Bulk Ups as possible, before attacking as soon as the berry activates. The number of Bulk Ups I get off does have a pretty serious impact, and unless I can get to +2, I'm probably not going to sweep - particularly if my opponent is using Raikou or Zapdos, who're actually serious-ass threats to the team.

I chose Brick Break over Superpower because, as a sweeper, I don't want to be loosing attack whilst I'm trying to sweep. Acrobatics is obvious, as it makes the optimal use of itemlessness.

With abilities, Defiant is chosen to laugh in the face of any intimidate users. When I see my opponent carrying Land-T, I try to reveal my physical attacking-ness before attempting to sweep, in the hope that he will bring Land-T in and activate my Defiant ability, giving me a free +1. The choice between that and Prankster is a difficult one though, as Prankster allows me to activate the Salac Berry against pretty much anything, as well as dodge burns from Sableye. Both are situational, and both work.

Last but not least, the EVs outside of HP are normal sweeper EVs. Max attack to maximize power, max speed to outspeed stuff. Jolly Nature further aids my outspeeding, and allows me to outspeed some scarfers after Salac Berry activates.

-

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Normal Gem
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Unlike Ferrothorn, Landorus-T goes boom pretty often. It comes in early on, sets up SR and explodes - preferably on the opponent's sweeper. Earthquake and Stone Edge are there for QuakeEdge coverage, and give me offensive options outside of Explosion. Explosion is chosen for the surprise factor, catching a lot of players off guard and knocking out a pokemon that could have been a big threat. Of course, sometimes it own goals. Notably, I blew up on a paralyzed Lucario - not much of a threat, but I had expected him to switch. If the foe has a ghost type or physically defensive steel type I don't explode, even if it can do 50% to Skarmory.

Normal Gem boosts explosion, as does the Adamant nature and 252 attack EVs. The health EVs allow me to perform somewhat defensively, switching in on a physical attack before making my exit - one way or another.

-

Defensive Core
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Rotom-W has always been held back by it's lack of reliable recovery outside of lefties, and this set really feels that. It's job is to set up Dual Screens to help Tornadus set up, as well as trying to cripple any opposing sweepers. Sadly, with no real fighting resists I can use, Rotom-W is often the one I end up sacking should a Conkeldurr or other fighting type manage to set up, though I try to set up a reflect in the process.

EVs and nature are for maximum bulk. Lefties give me a bit of healing.

-

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Def / 52 HP / 204 SDef
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Tail

Now this, this is where it's at for defensive pokemon. Swap that Ice type for an Electric typing (please Gen-6 Gamefreak? You did it for Rotom. :) ) and Kyurem-B would have been an absolute beast. Sadly, we're stuck with Ice and we make do.

This set builds upon Kyurem-Black's insane bulk, through using Leftovers and the SubRoost combo. The plan is basically switch in on an attack it resists, set up a sub on the switch. Roost off stealth rock+sub, and go from there. Substitute is chosen for it's ability to dodge status, as well as block attacks, whilst roost is to recover. Did I really need to explain those? :/

Anyways, Dragon Tail is to stop anything from setting up on Kyurem-B. That's pretty unlikely, as its dragon claw still hits pretty hard (376 attack :heart: ) and most people wont attempt to even set up. What it sees more use doing though, is out-phazing Skarmory, and forcing it out before it gets the chance to Whirlwind.

The chosen EV spread gives Kyurem-B a health stat of 404, and whilst 101 subs aren't much of a big deal at the moment, it's still the set I'm using. If anyone knows of a set that affords better overall bulk, that'd be good. Anyways, after the 52 HP EVs, I chose to capitalize on its stronger physical bulk by going 252 Defense Impish (+Def, -SpA), then dump the final 200 EVs into special defense to make it more of a mixed wall. It was suggested to me I put those 200 EVs into attack, and turn it into a bulky offense Kyurem-B, but then I'd use 252 HP/252 Att Adamant.

Leftovers give me some extra healing. You want a paragraph on that? No.

Team Synergy
I'll admit, synergy wasn't my first priority when I made this team, but some exists. Ferrothorn, Landorus-I and Rotom-W resist (almost?) every type between them, which kind of makes me want to go lefties on Landorus. Additionally, Rotom-W synergises well with Tornadus with the providing of screens to allow it to set up with more ease. Kyurem-Black - can take the Ice type attacks that Land-T and Torn-I hate so much, then roost off the damage with ease, whilst Ferrothorn provides a solid switch in to dragons locked into outrage.

So it happens that Gengar is mostly an oddball. It shares a little bit of synergy with Land-T, but is mostly a stand alone attacker.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope to get some good advice!

Interesting team, definitely has potential!

I have a suggestion for you. Firstly you shouldn't use Sludge Wave on Gengar. Posion is poor offensively, and Celebi is hit hard by STAB Shadow Ball anyway. So, I think using Focus Blast over Sludge Wave will give Gengar precious coverage, especially against Steel-types & Rock-types like Ferrothorn & Tyranitar which would otherwise hard wall Gengar.

Goodluck with the team!

Put Focus Blast on Gengar over Sludge Wave, provides near perfect coverage with those two moves alone.

Put Bulldoze over Payback on Gengar. Gyroball hits Gengars really hard already, and Bulldoze is neccessary for Heatran.

Other than that I would only say this. All you really need is one Pokemon to have one move that your opponent doesnt expect to turn the match in your favor. A team full of surprises is a nice idea, but if there is no team synergy its not going to get anywhere. You would be better off having one ir two surprise Pikemon to help you win in an otherwise standard team.

Why would Ferrothorn be staying in on Heatran? Isn't that suicidal?

As for Focus Blast => Sludge Wave, I'll give it a go. I really don't like Focus Blast's accuracy.

Standard moves on a Ferrothorn: Leech Seed, T-Wave, Spikes, Gyro Ball, Power Whip.
Heatran is usually people's go-to Ferrothorn switch in.
You predict a Heatran switch in and go for Bulldoze, now your opponent has no Heatran. None of your other moves can do anything if Heatran switches in, and as I said, you absolutely do not need Payback, Gyroball OHKOs every single Gengar set.

And noone likes Focus Blast's accuracy. But you still need it. The point is to go for it only when you absolutely have to, or when there is little to no consequence if you miss. Minimize the risks you take with it.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi, cool team!

This team definitely does have some potential, but I feel that what is holding it back is the strange and ineffective Movesets that you have given to your team. Most work, but the one on Ferrothorn has little to no usage and does not help out your team at all, making it completely obsolete and no useful to the rest of your team at all. It is for this reason I suggest changing up to Bulldoze over Payback to at least give it more a reason to actually be used. This way Ferrothorn can actually make use of it's Choice Band set, and because of it's ability to now hit Heatran and Magnezone among other steel types, hopefully it will work overall better for you. Payback offers literally nothing except for a ( slightly ) stronger move to hit Latias with. Gyro Ball for the most part does the job against Gengar and other ghost and psychic types. Up next we have Gengar. Sludge Wave is not giving you any additional coverage or real power, and it would be very wise to change it up for a much more useful move. Your team in particular has trouble with taking on stall, and because of that I highly suggest using Focus Blast over it instead. Focus Blast helps you screw over and lure out Pokemon that may threaten your team or Gengar. This means Tyranitar specifically, a common Gengar switch in.

Will finish later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)