Other Metagames Fairy Monotype RMT

Hello! I am a fairly experienced player, but as for competitive battling there's definitely some room to improve. I've recently been messing with monotype, and I've found my fairy type team to be my favorite. However, as I am not the best competitive battler so far, I would like some help fixing my team up. I'm especially lacking when it comes to items, specific moves on some of them, and my EVs can get a bit odd.
All suggestions are appreciated, considering I am considerably terrible at this.
Here's the team:

gucci (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 128 SpA /128 Atk / 4 Spe
Mild Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Stealth Rock

I mainly chose Diancie because I wanted a mega altaria but found it was banned. I like Diancie's fairly decent stats, and that I can pull stealth rock with her. I gave her the mega stone in place of Gardevoir who I believe is banned as well. I do not know if Psychic was a good move choice, but I wanted to give Diancie another special attack. I focused more on making Diancie an attacker, but her stats for both physical and special were pretty similar. I ended up splitting the EVs which might not be ideal since I wanted moonblast and diamond storm as they were both solid attacks to have for an attacking Diancie. It might be smarter to switch to a defensive, or just a SpA/Atk, but I'm not too experienced with Diancie besides on this team so I am unsure which would be best.

fuck you im yellow (Azumarill) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Serious Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower

I usually take a tanky azumarill, so I decided to swap directions and go for an attack based Azumarill on this team. She's pretty solid in battle, and the aqua jet is extremely helpful. Superpower gets iffy at times, but I wanted to have a fighting move within the team somewhere. Unsure if there's a better option I could have for one on her, or another one of my pokemon. I think Azumarill is pretty good besides that, unless with the way my team is it would work better as a whole to switch back to my usual tanky azumarill. Like I said: I'm not really an expert when it comes to this. It's hard for me to decide what's right. Waterfall and Play Rough are for sweeping.

meme (Gardevoir) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball

Oh boy. My gardevoir is a killer. I did defense for it bc I usually start with Togekiss, substitiute and baton pass and use calm mind to raise the SpA and SpD before I start attacking with her. I think it's probably smart I switch her to SpA 252 rather than Defense. Unless that was actually a smart move? Unsure. Shadow ball, moonblast, and psychic are all for sweeping. Calm mind for powering up.

fucking triangle (Togekiss) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 SpD
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Psycho Shift
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

I usually start out with my Togekiss. I love having the substitute and baton pass, but other than that I don't know what to do with it. Especially stat/move wise. I usually put her out to substitute, then baton pass to Gardevoir and I don't use my Togekiss for much more than that in battle. I'd like to get better use out of it, but I'm unsure where to go with the other 2 moves. Substitute and Baton pass are necessary for this team.

suffering (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower

I named this one suffering for a reason. Because this clefable never wants to die. I focused in on its speeds and health and getting coverage on this one, because she has managed to tough out a lot of fights and just smack the literal shit out of opponents. I'd never used clefable before, but I was surprised at how good I was able to make use of it. There may be things to improve with it though.
Moonblast, Ice Beam, Flamethrower for coverage and sweeping, calm mind for powering up.

house plant (Florges) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Moonblast
- Toxic

Florges is one of my all time favorites. Especially because for whatever reason people don't do their research and assume Florges is also a grass type. But Florges is just fairy. And Florges has an extremely impressive SpD. I really like that. I usually raise her special attack and use her to sweep.
Grass Knot for coverage and since Florges is reasonably light, moonblast and psychic for sweep, toxic for support.

Overall, I think I need to fix up Togekiss and Diancie the most, but I'm unsure how. If there's a better pokemon to swap with any of my current team members, I'm open to it. I'd like to get more of a balanced team as well, considering most of this team are sweepers I just tagged some supportive moves onto, such as Diancie's stealth rock and Florges' toxic. I'd like to get better defensive//support but keep some sweeping in there as well. The team has worked pretty well so far, but there are just points where I get completely wrecked. I've adjusted it multiple times but I still seem to be lacking something. Thanks :-)

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Hey there, interesting looking team but I think it could use a good amount of improvement.

Mega Gardevoir is not banned in Monotype but Diancie is the superior mega evolution. The set you're running is very questionable though. Definitely put Earth Power over Psychic, and Protect over Stealth Rock. Mega Diancie can pull off a Stealth Rock setting up role but Protect in my mind is much better.
Hidden Power Fire / Earth Power > Psychic , Protect > Stealth Rock , 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe w/ Naive nature > 248 HP / 128 SpA /128 Atk / 4 Spe.

Pretty sure nobody thinks Florges is a Grass type and if they do they're probably new to this game. Nevertheless, Florges isn't the best choice on a Fairy-type team and it doesn't do anything that your other Pokemon don't. You should definitely replace it with Klefki which is a staple on Fairy-teams as it provides dual screen support, checks Mega Scizor with Foul Play, can use Prankster Thunder Wave to slow down opponents and it also takes neutral from Steel. It also has access to Spikes.
Klefki > Florges.

Now that you have Klefki, I highly recommend you change your Azumarill set to Belly Drum which is a fantastic sweeper and is supported by the dual screens that Klefki can set up. It helps out vs Steel if you get Stealth Rock up to break Skarmory and Magnezone's Sturdy and manage to set-up.
Belly Drum > Assault Vest.

Calm Mind Gardevoir with no Speed and recovery is questionable and looks pretty uneffective or outclassed. Instead I'd suggest a Choice Scarf set which is the standard on Fairy-type teams. It's a check to Poison types, mainly Nidoking so you should definitely go with Choice Scarf and change the moveset to Psyshock / Focus Blast / Moonblast / Healing Wish.
Choice Scarf > Calm Mind.

So a Focus Sash set with Psycho Shift seems pretty pointless and the whole idea of this set is pretty gimmicky and not as useful as you think. Instead you should run a Babiri Berry set with coverage that Fairy appreciates such as Fire Blast and Aura Sphere. It's a really nice Steel check, mostly for Mega Scizor.
Babiri Berry > Focus Sash , Air Slash / Fire Blast / Aura Sphere / Roost > Air Slash / Psycho Shift / Substitute / Baton Pass.

Max speed Clefable without any recovery is not something you should run. Clefable is an amazing Pokemon on Fairy and probably one of my favorite Pokemon to use. Run a spread of 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD w/ Calm nature and a moveset of Calm Mind / Thunder Wave / Moonblast / Soft-Boiled. It's a very effective set and my favorite one. Stealth Rock over Thunder Wave is something you'd probably wanna run on this team though so that's also an option.
252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD w/ Calm nature > 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe w/ Modest nature , Calm Mind / Stealth Rock / Moonblast / Soft-Boiled > Moonblast / Calm Mind / Ice Beam / Flamethrower.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Moonblast

Klefki (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play / Spikes

Azumarill (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / Stealth Rock

Togekiss @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

It's a pretty big change, pretty much a whole new team. But with these changes your team is gonna be much better and effective, definitely try it out.

Hope I helped out and good luck with the team!

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hey, while Confluxx addressed most things, I feel like he just decided to make a generic-fairy team for you. This is usually fine because Fairy is a newer type and has a very small pool to choose from, but I'll help explain the sets that he suggested.

Mega Altaria is not banned, it just starts off as a Dragon/Flying instead of Dragon/Fairy, which is its Mega form. In Monotype, Megas that obtain a new typing may only be on a teams with the same typing, which is a common beginners mistake so no worries.

Mega-Diancie is one of the more useful Megas out of the two allowed, so you weren't wrong in your judgement to pick it. However, your set and evs are rather odd. Mega Diancie loses considerable bulk after regular Diancie mega evolves into it so it is a more offensive mon. Thus, running Max Speed > Max HP is the way to go here. Psychic is an odd coverage move which doesn't really hit anything that the combination of Diamond Storm + Moonblast hit already, so I would suggest replacing it with a better coverage move, that being Hidden Power [Fire]. HP Fire is amazing coverage for Diancie because it allows it to hit the very annoying steel types pretty hard. It 2ohkos defensive Skarmory, nearly ohkos Ferrothorn, the list goes on. It's an extremely helpful coverage move for a moveset otherwise walled by most steel types. I agree with Fluxx's ev spread here.

Florges is not the best Fairy mon you could pick for your team because other mons can do its job much better. Fluxx was correct in suggesting Klefki > it but instead of running Spikes, you should definitely opt for Foul Play. One of the main points to Klefki on Fairy teams is its neutrality to opposing Steel Type mons, namely huge threats like Scizor and its Mega. Popping a Reflect and going for the Foul Play is the only way for Klefki to efficiently "check" Mega Scizor instead of Spikes, which Scizor could just set up on aimlessly.

Azumarill is an amazing mon on Fairy teams, and like Confluxx said, is better off as an offensive Belly Drum Sweeper. Fairy in itself is an extremely offensive type as players usually aim to barrage their opponent with tons of offensive mons to keep up the pressure. BDrum Azu is a good example for this, as it has sweeping potential against Fire, Psychic, Steel, Flying, and lots of the top types in the tier due to its coverage of Knock Off/Super Power and high attack stat. Combined with the dual screen of Klefki, bdrum shouldn't be too hard to pull off.

Agreeing with all of his points except for the Clefable one. The defense on Clefable is extremely important as Clefable and Klefki are for sure your go-to physical attack absorb mons. With a calm nature and many evs taken out of defense, it loses this. I'd also run Flamethrower because it is nice fire coverage for steel types.
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor: 300-356 (106.7 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 181-214 (45.9 - 54.3%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 153-180 (38.8 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 182-216 (46.1 - 54.8%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Terrakion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 154-182 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Just some of the calcs.​

So, yeah! That's everything. Here are the sets:
Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Moonblast

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rocks
- Softboiled
- Flamethrower

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Yeah go with Lax's suggestion about Hidden Power Fire on Mega Diancie, now that I think about it most Magnezone run Choice Scarf so Earth Power won't be that useful other than for Heatran which your Azumarill can check. I did give Foul Play a mention, I slashed it with Spikes but maybe I should've slashes Thunder Wave with Spikes as Foul Play is very important for checking Mega Scizor. Between Babiri Berry Togekiss with Fire Blast and HP Fire Mega Diancie I don't feel that Flamethrower on Clefable is that necessary, Calm Mind gives it a great match-up vs a lot of types, especially Water. I agree with the spread change though.

Also, Mega Altaria actually is banned from Monotype but yeah if it wasn't it still wouldn't be allowed on Fairy-type teams due to only gaining a Fairy-type upon mega evolution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)