Social End of year check in

Graduated university, have a bachelor degree in business now. I frankly regret having studied this. I got into the economic branch through coincidence during my teens and I just never left it, because it seemed safe and I was good at jobs in sales and in marketing. But I really just wasted 3 years of my life getting a degree I didn't care for and forcing myself to do things I never enjoyed. I want to start art school next year, I hope that will work out

The last couple of years, I did a lot of self reflection. Mostly because I started therapy in summer of 2020. This year, I probably did more self reflection than ever before, mostly because I griefed over a certain relationship for several months. That was valuable I suppose

I noticed I got more... rebellious I guess. I was never a fan of authority, but I never was this non-compliant. I don't think that's bad honestly, I was too compliant with things I disagreed with anyways

All things in all, it wasn't a good year for me. I was sad or angry for too much of the year to think it was good

Something that is very good is that, after saving up for almost 10 years, I got enough money together to book my dream vacation. I'll be going on safari in Botswana next year, 3 weeks straight. That will be fun

I hit the point where my art's good enough that people actually want to commission me, so there's that. I can tell people I'm a freelance artist and not unemployed.

I didn't graduate from college, but I'm doing ok enough that I still have financial aid. I'll just retake the classes I failed and graduate in spring.

oh man there's been a lot. quit my shitty retail job to focus on college, made a ton of friends, lost a ton too, became super confident in ways I've never been before, finally mastered taking good care of my curls & embraced the fashion sense I wanted too, changed up my living situation in a big way... more has happened this year than any other for me i think

this year's been crazy ngl, came into it super insecure abt a lot of things and not really sure how to navigate the big changes that were happening in my life, and am going out of it the complete opposite of that. still have a lot to figure out but i feel good about where I'm at right now. 2024 is going to be a great year I think.

guess I got back on smogon, too

igiveuponaname

A face in a cloud no trace in the crowd.
is a Community Contributor
I started this year with no job after months of searching, no girlfriend, and tons of resentment towards myself since I felt like I was falling behind in life compared to everyone around me.

I'm ending this year with no job after a year of searching, no girlfriend, and tons of resentment towards myself since I most certainly am falling behind in life compared to everyone around me. But I got this cool Smogon Badge™ this year so everything is okay I guess.

I started this year with no job after months of searching, no girlfriend, and tons of resentment towards myself since I felt like I was falling behind in life compared to everyone around me.

I'm ending this year with no job after a year of searching, no girlfriend, and tons of resentment towards myself since I most certainly am falling behind in life compared to everyone around me. But I got this cool Smogon Badge™ this year so everything is okay I guess.
These are really unhealthy goals to be setting for yourself. Getting a job I can understand but if you are setting a goal to have a girlfriend I can almost guarantee you won't end up in a healthy relationship. Love and connection don't just magically happen because you want them to. I think there's probably a lot more going on here and I would recommend setting more attainable goals so that you can build your confidence back. Stop comparing yourself to your peers and focus on bettering yourself. I used to feel the same way as you did and I've seen more marriages end in divorce than I have seen end in success. Stop chasing what your peers have and ask yourself why you want a girlfriend, or better yet feel like you deserve one.

As for me, highs on lows as others have stated, but that's just how life is. I sorta hate these conversations because it gives us an easy way to blame factors we have no control over on something as silly as a year. If your 2023 was terrible, ask yourself what you could have done sooner to make it a little more bearable, otherwise the reality is things will continue to be the same.

on further thought I think this year was overall pretty great, but i did forget the literal first thing that happened to me this year was learning that i fumbled a weird girl

edit: like deadass at 12:07 am
Message her at 12:07 on NYD and pretend like nothing happened.

Graduated university, have a bachelor degree in business now. I frankly regret having studied this. I got into the economic branch through coincidence during my teens and I just never left it, because it seemed safe and I was good at jobs in sales and in marketing. But I really just wasted 3 years of my life getting a degree I didn't care for and forcing myself to do things I never enjoyed. I want to start art school next year, I hope that will work out

The last couple of years, I did a lot of self reflection. Mostly because I started therapy in summer of 2020. This year, I probably did more self reflection than ever before, mostly because I griefed over a certain relationship for several months. That was valuable I suppose

I noticed I got more... rebellious I guess. I was never a fan of authority, but I never was this non-compliant. I don't think that's bad honestly, I was too compliant with things I disagreed with anyways

All things in all, it wasn't a good year for me. I was sad or angry for too much of the year to think it was good

Something that is very good is that, after saving up for almost 10 years, I got enough money together to book my dream vacation. I'll be going on safari in Botswana next year, 3 weeks straight. That will be fun
It’s ok to reflect. Now this upcoming year I hope the best for you just start speaking it all into existence.

I hit the point where my art's good enough that people actually want to commission me, so there's that. I can tell people I'm a freelance artist and not unemployed.

I didn't graduate from college, but I'm doing ok enough that I still have financial aid. I'll just retake the classes I failed and graduate in spring.
You got this keep telling yourself what you want WILL happen. Wish the best.

dhefinite highs and lows. the highs have been good or whatever but my god have the lows been low. man.
Definitely been there 2020-22 was the hardest stretch of my life. Those lows hit like a mf but keep standing strong and speaking good stuff over your life and it will come to past.

Was a pretty shitty year ngl. Lot's of wasted time and missed opportunities.
You these new opportunities you have now. The past does suck and we wish we can do some stuff differently but sometimes that’s the path we have to take you got this.

oh man there's been a lot. quit my shitty retail job to focus on college, made a ton of friends, lost a ton too, became super confident in ways I've never been before, finally mastered taking good care of my curls & embraced the fashion sense I wanted too, changed up my living situation in a big way... more has happened this year than any other for me i think

this year's been crazy ngl, came into it super insecure abt a lot of things and not really sure how to navigate the big changes that were happening in my life, and am going out of it the complete opposite of that. still have a lot to figure out but i feel good about where I'm at right now. 2024 is going to be a great year I think.

guess I got back on smogon, too
You already speaking the good stuff into existence that’s the first step. Good I hope everything you are looking for come to past.

There was a point in time I felt everyone was ahead of me it was so bad it had me feeling like a failure at 22 and 23. This year I changed my mindset and stop comparing myself to others. Firstly I go at my own pace not theirs. Secondly you don’t know what’s going on behind closed doors although it looks perfect on the outside. Take a step aside take a deep breath reflect. Start speaking stuff over yourself and say “I will” things will eventually fall your way. I wish you all the best. Also love happens when you aren’t looking imo it’s always natural and just happens at the right time.

I’ll do me. This year has been a huge step up for me after the worst three year stretch of my life. After losing my father and being homeless in 2020 for some time. 2021 being injured for half the year and losing someone very dear to me (A wonderful lady that helped raise me). 2022 battling severe depression to where I didn’t want to be around anymore. In January I decided to look in the mirror and tell myself “you got this and I will do it”. I preceded to develop myself mentally physically and emotionally. I decided I’m. Doing things my way and there is a path set for me so I will no longer compare myself to anyone and live my life. Things changed for me such as getting engaged to a wonderful woman that stuck through me at my worst. Leaving my retail job of six years it was time to elevate. Then finding a wonderful school I work at which I pretty much landed myself a teaching job after I graduate. Lastly I’ve become much stronger physically then I was prior to my Achilles injury back in 2021 I feel amazing. I know 2024 has a lot of good stuff in store I know there will be bad and good days but no matter what I’m gonna stand strong. Trust me it will get better but you have to believe I’m speaking from experience. Much love thanks for reading.

I’ll do me. This year has been a huge step up for me after the worst three year stretch of my life. After losing my father and being homeless in 2020 for some time. 2021 being injured for half the year and losing someone very dear to me (A wonderful lady that helped raise me). 2022 battling severe depression to where I didn’t want to be around anymore. In January I decided to look in the mirror and tell myself “you got this and I will do it”. I preceded to develop myself mentally physically and emotionally. I decided I’m. Doing things my way and there is a path set for me so I will no longer compare myself to anyone and live my life. Things changed for me such as getting engaged to a wonderful woman that stuck through me at my worst. Leaving my retail job of six years it was time to elevate. Then finding a wonderful school I work at which I pretty much landed myself a teaching job after I graduate. Lastly I’ve become much stronger physically then I was prior to my Achilles injury back in 2021 I feel amazing. I know 2024 has a lot of good stuff in store I know there will be bad and good days but no matter what I’m gonna stand strong. Trust me it will get better but you have to believe I’m speaking from experience. Much love thanks for reading.
I'm proud of you for how you've been keeping yourself going despite all the tough times, it truly is admirable. I'm sorry to hear about everything that happened to you in the past, but I'm beyond glad to see your progress from those days. You're doing amazing man and I know you'll continue to do so. Keep it up o7

2023's shittyness is only topped by the years I was literally abused as a kid lmao this year was DOGSHIT AAAAAAAAA

Depression, settling deeper into college, learning I have a genetic disability. There were times in this year where I felt like I could literally die from medical reasons, bed ridden from pain. But,

at the end of this year? It's getting better. Finally getting medicine to help with my condition, I am getting back into coding after a decently lengthy break for this semester, and I feel more in tune with my emotions. I had to quit work due to that disability, but I hope that, by this time next year, I am making that ching-ching once again. Things are looking up, my perfect Christmas present.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)