EE's Recent Team

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In trying out some of the new Platinum moves along with what I currently have available, here's what I've been trying as a standard wi-fi and shoddybattle team as of lately:

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/68 Spd/190 SAtk
Quiet nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
Classic Boah is used to summon the sandstorm and as a mixed sweeper. Oftentimes I feel I have to switch it out so I could use it again later on in event I lose the sand stream. I might switch thunderbolt (meant for gyarados) for ice beam if I see more salamence leads.

Bronzong @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/152 Atk/8 Def/98 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
I've had success with this one at Showdown-NY this year, idea is to setup the trick room, hit faster types hard with gyro ball, explode then bring in brave marowak to deal heavier damage.

Marowak (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
Brave nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Trick room Marowak once it sets up a swords dance it can be unstoppable unless it cannot go first anymore.

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 232 HP/252 Atk/24 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
Addition of bullet Punch makes it able to hit ghosts and to be effective against rock types that a normal quick attack cannot deal with. Superpower is iffy mainly to deal with other steel types such as metagross but the loss of attack hurts it.

Lucario (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 6 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Vacuum Wave
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Besides boah, this is my only other one with special attack moves. Normally I'd use choice specs but would rather make my moves more variable to deal with what can come my way.

Breloom (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 44 HP/252 Atk/212 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
Between this and gyarados, I wanted to try something so annoying once it can setup properly. sleep clause hurts it from abusing it though.

I know problem pokemon that I had to deal with included dusknoir and infernape as switching breloom for bulky-gyarados may be one I may replace. I'm open to further suggestions here.

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
Superpower is iffy mainly to deal with other steel types such as metagross but the loss of attack hurts it.
X-Scissor is backed by STAB and does neutral damage on Metagross. Superpower would only do more damage to something like Skarmory, Registeel, ect. Since it will be walled by those anyway, X-Scissor would be the better option since you won't be dropping your attack.

Solid team, but, I think that Superpower is redundant on Scizor since it can't break Screens which are becoming more common, especially on Deoxys-S leads. Brick Break can do that while not dropping its Swords Dance(s) and its actually useable Defense.

X-Scissor is backed by STAB and does neutral damage on Metagross. Superpower would only do more damage to something like Skarmory, Registeel, ect. Since it will be walled by those anyway, X-Scissor would be the better option since you won't be dropping your attack.
I was going to say the exact same thing. Most of the steels you see will take neutral damage from both X-scissor and Super power ( Jirachi, Bronzong, Metagross). Plus scissor covers dark just like super power.

You won't be able to do much to Heatran but I can't imagine why you'd be staying in on a heatran anyway. Problem is, you don't have too much that will resist a STAB'd fire attack.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
Thanks folks as I'll try brick break on scizor (maybe x-scissor if having cresselia problems). I also intend to replace tyranitar's thunderbolt with ice beam since I did see a salamence lead, and intend to replace breloom with a timid gengar as a fight/ground resistant and holding black sludge with the moveset of trick, energy ball (swampert, rhyperior), thunderbolt (gyarados) and shadow ball (stab, dusknoir)

gec

pharos
Just popping in to say replace Chesto with Lum Berry on Bronzong. You may occasionally come into contact with a Dusknoir which WoWs you.

Dusknoir may WoW him, but you won't come out on top of Dusknoir anyway, though you may want to keep a fully powered Explosion.

As somebody above said, MixApe really worries me. Luckily you have Scizor's Quick Attack and Lucario's Vacuum Wave (as well as residual damage eventually winning out), yet the problem is you have no "safe" switch-in. (Provided neither Lucario nor Scizor are out on field, and neither of them can OHKO).

You say about a Dusknoir problem. Dusknoir is likely to carry Will-o-Wisp, Shadow Sneak, Pain Split, then one of the elemental punches. If it carries ThunderPunch, Breloom is a pretty good switch-in, provided you are already Toxic'd. Say you ran Leech Seed > Seed Bomb on this, residual damage would really start to stack up (especially as you can also hit Infernape with Leech Seed if behind a Substitute!). It would basically mean you win out over this Dusknoir, leaving you with an Ice Punch problem. This is pretty much solved by Lucario, though Will-o-Wisp damn hurts. If you used Hypnosis on Bronzong it would (most of the time) mean safe switch-in's.

Also, with Lucario, you never 2HKO +252/252 Dusknoir without SR, so have you tried Timid? It's great with Hidden Power [Ice] to smack Neutral Salamence who come in expecting Swords Dance Lucario.

:)

Kevin Garrett

is a competitor
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
The biggest problem for this team is offensive Suicune. It outspeeds everything, save Scizor and Lucario. However, their priority moves won't put a dent in Suicune. Blissey is a solid counter for Suicune without Rest. There aren't many options aside from Blissey. Vaporeon would give you coverage against Infernape, but it struggles against offensive Suicune. If either Stealth Rock is in play or they are running Modest, then Vaporeon won't be able to hit Suicune with a Hidden Power Electric.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I really see alot of things with this team to be honest. Four Fire weaks without a proper resistance will make you lose against Fire Pokemon, such as Infernape, and the MixApe variants can destroy this team. I'm aware of the Trick Room stradegy in this team, and it's great, but I don't really see MixApe letting you set up against it, especially because you aren't leading with a Trick Room pokemon which might mess up the stradegy because a pokemon like Infernape will be able to come into you before the stradegy happens. I would seriously consider leading with Bronzong, it will help you set up Trick Room early and prevent fast pokemon from sweeping you easier. With that, Tyranitar won't really make a reliable Tboah anymore, you can keep it, but I would suggest using a Choice Band Tyranitar, as it hits harder and faster than a tboah would, but again this is just a suggestion. Like it was said before, X-Scissor would benefit more on Scizor than SuperPower would, it will give you a powerful STAB move and help you with those Celebis that might get annoying.

Twash Man's idea about Dusknoir is good, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that Breloom is just not shining in D/P in my opinion, it's too fast paced for it to set up. I would probably replace it for a Gyarados, a Bulky RestTalking Gyarados maybe? Dusknoir can be annoying, if WoW is your problem then Gyarados can probably be a WoW absorber and possibly DD in it's sleep, hitting it back with a strong waterfall and can help you out with Infernape, but then again some of them carry ThunderPunch which can be big if it isn't intimidated. If you really want to switch around Breloom for something else, i'd suggest you consider Heatran first, coming in to a WoW and getting a booster fire blast in your face isn't pretty, but it will leave you with a Fighting weakness, so try it all the stradegies posted in this thread and see which one suits you more.

Do you think you could consider Psychic on your gengar? I know its not the best of attacks, but as someone mentioned, Mixape weak is a huge problem, and Gengar being able to out speed mixape and KO it with Psychic could really help out your team.

i think you should diversify your team in types and balance out your weaknesses in strat

like you said you chose breloom over gyara. but gyara is more recommended in my opinion t if your oponenets switched into an electivire /other elec pkmon and you predict the t-punch u go to marowak to set up dance or deal damage just like those switch in combos really help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)