SM OU Dumb Offensive Team 2k19 (~1700 peak)

I started playing with Tungstennedge's "braindead" offensive team a few weeks ago and kept making changes until it was basically my own team. I don't think this team is necessarily good, but it's built so that if you make one good read or the opponent makes one mistake, you can start steamrolling. I'm wondering what changes I can make to get over the 1600-1700 wall I'm at; maybe a psychium Z volca instead? Different mega? Idk, gimme your thoughts:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Standard offensive suicide lead Excadrill. Max attack is to put a dent in stuff before dying (does a solid 40%+ to mega venusaur, for instance). Max speed jolly ensures that you outspeed all non-scarfed heattran (is that still a thing anymore?). A lot of times, you'll send out excadrill vs an opposing lando-t: just remember, whoever's ability 'activates' first is faster. When I outspeed an opposing lando-t, I like using toxic turn 1, hoping the lando-t uses rocks. I then use rocks turn 2 while he EQs. The toxic damage tells me if it's leftovers or rocky helmet. If it's leftovers, I can rapid spin his rocks away before dying - perfect situation. Mold breaker also helps to get up rocks against magic bounce users, and focus sash all but guarantees you can get them up (unless you get a really unlucky roll against a greninja with the balls to turn 1 shuriken, or something).

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

The lone holdover from Tungstennedge's team. Half the time Bisharp does nothing, or next to it. Every now and then it just flat out wins the game for you, though, if you swap it in on a defog, set up as someone sends in an intimidate (+3 attack after defiant), etc. Knock off does good damage and is a great even ground choice when you expect the opponent to switch or not attack you. Sucker if they are going to attack you. Iron head for a second stab; useful against Tapus. SD is to punish people who try to get cute playing around sucker punch. I rarely use iron head, so I've actually been toying around with dread plate, but he's so squishy that I'm not sure the hp you're saving from not having life orb is worth it.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona is the biggest wincon on this team, but can also poke some holes even without setting up. Z Bug Buzz can do almost 1/3 a standard chansey, for instance. If you manage to get +1, you can oneshot things like garchomp, all non AV tyranitars, and other threats. HP Ground neuters heattran. Max speed timid to at least tie all other 328 speeders, max SpA for max damage. Not many things can switch in to a +1 Fire Blast.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Surprisingly not as much of a wincon as you might expect from a ddance set, but can still do a lot of work. I always try to avoid mega evolving until the last possible moment (helps to hide earthquake). Moment of vulnerability: I have a Taunt fetish. It also messes with ferrothorn, probably the most common switch in to gyarados from what I've seen. Waterfall is just good STAB damage and I prefer it over Crunch for its coverage and also the flinch chance. Earthquake is nice because it hits levitate users for good damage - rotom-w gets destroyed, latios takes a chunk, so forth. In general, I just find it a lot more reliable than Crunch; but if you wanna try Crunch instead, go for it.

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

When I started with an earlier iteration of this team, I lost to hawlucha over and over and over. Zapdos prevents that. It's also fun to switch in on mega lopunny/mega medicham and make them take as much damage from rocky helmet as you take from fake out. Pressure actually helped me win a stall matchup against a chansey once. Heatwave hits ferrothorn and magnezone, and the 30% para chance on discharge is more useful than the extra damage from thunderbolt on this defensive build. 20 Spe is to speed creep, 248 hp to hit the idea hp marker, and the rest in def. This 'mon will surprise you; it can take a hit.

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Kinda a weird set, this was originally the scarf spikes set on smogon, but I never found a chance to use the spikes. I love sending out greninja turn 1 when I know my opponent is going to send out a tapu koko turn 1 then OHKOing it when they don't expect the scarf (Gunk Shot is what I added to this set instead of spikes, so that I had another answer for tapu bulu). Rockslide is tremendously useful; hits a lot of things for SE or neutral damage, and can outspeed and OHKO a +1 volcarona. Ice beam is great coverage in general. U-turn is U-turn, a U-seful pivot. Hiding scarf/this set until the last moment has won a number of matches for me. To quote smogon on the EV spread, "The given Special Attack EVs are to OHKO Kartana with Ice Beam, and the remaining EVs are put into Attack."

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...SoAQbnqZTlj2T9eiopmv7AZJAgxET3d7oew7fbRzS0rTU (pay attention to chat for a good chuckle)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...Bici0XwlzZ-_Spgg19iV-jXRw5m1qMHpnvufTrjemO6JA (beating a stall team over the course of a day and a half)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/...EZscCMiZ9OcnYwWEdiaO-SovZPdvJRC8fmREG5clJploE (zapdos value, and if I'm going to press sucker punch 4 times, might as well do it a 5th)

Threats! There are a few.
  1. Toxapex/Stall. +1 HP Ground from Volcarona doesn't quite do half of Toxapex, so it can switch in and neuter you pretty easily. I'm not sure if Stall teams in general are actual threats, I'm just super duper impatient and typically quit after 10-15 turns out of boredom.
  2. Rain. Not sure I've ever beaten a rain team with this. Very tough matchup.
  3. Mega Diancie. I had a serperior in place of zapdos before, and m-diancie wasn't much of an issue, but hawlucha was destroying me. I see a loooot more hawluchas so I'm content being weak to m-diancie, but it's still a threat.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
Nice team. I really like the Volcarona + Mega Gyarados core you have going on there, I made a very similar team featuring those 2 mons a while back: https://pokepast.es/49a95f7778f68098. My main suggestion is ditch Zapdos for Thundurus, Zapdos is a bit too passive for this type of team and while getting the para hax/helmet chip can be nice, its better to have a surefire offensive response to threats like Medicham rather than crossing your fingers that static activates. Excadrill already spins so you don't need a defogger.

Nice team. I really like the Volcarona + Mega Gyarados core you have going on there, I made a very similar team featuring those 2 mons a while back: https://pokepast.es/49a95f7778f68098. My main suggestion is ditch Zapdos for Thundurus, Zapdos is a bit too passive for this type of team and while getting the para hax/helmet chip can be nice, its better to have a surefire offensive response to threats like Medicham rather than crossing your fingers that static activates. Excadrill already spins so you don't need a defogger.
Having Zapdos gives him an answer to some ou threats that could eat his team, mainly fighting types, as his team is so deathly weak to them. It also lets him check scarf lando t which just clicks eq and wins the match, all in all, great team, but I feel bisharp would work better as a different mon to cover up both threats, maybe a defensive garchomp could work well, but at the end of the day it's just a matter of preference.

Having Zapdos gives him an answer to some ou threats that could eat his team, mainly fighting types, as his team is so deathly weak to them. It also lets him check scarf lando t which just clicks eq and wins the match, all in all, great team, but I feel bisharp would work better as a different mon to cover up both threats, maybe a defensive garchomp could work well, but at the end of the day it's just a matter of preference.
That could be interesting; I'll give that a look. It would be nice to not get torn up by EQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)