Ubers Dugtrio

[OVERVIEW]

* Dugtrio, although one-dimensional, finds its niche in the Ubers tier as a trapper that can reliably OHKO Magearna and offensive variants of Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM.
* Dugtrio also has some support moves such as Memento and Toxic that can be useful for the team after its main job is done.
* Dugtrio's Speed tier lets it outspeed all of its targets if they are unboosted.
* Sadly, Dugtrio's utility after its job is done is near zero, considering its mediocre Attack stat and fragility.
* It also takes the Z-Move slot, which can be used better by another Pokemon like Necrozma-DM or Lunala.

[SET]
name: Utility Trapper
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Screech
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Memento / Toxic
item: Groundium Z
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake, along with Groundium Z, allows Dugtrio to use Tectonic Rage, letting it trap and OHKO offensive Primal Groudon and Magearna and OHKO Double Dance Necrozma-DM and Toxapex after Stealth Rock damage.
* Substitute allows Dugtrio to scout for a recovery move from specially defensive Necrozma-DM and remove it in conjunction with Screech.
* Screech makes even an unboosted Earthquake a dangerous move against defensive targets, most notably specially defensive Necrozma-DM; Dugtrio can outdamage its recovery move and potentially OHKO it.
* Memento serves as a way to bring an ally setup sweeper in a favorable scenario by lowering the offensive stats of the foe by two stages.
* Toxic can be used to cripple Pokemon that Dugtrio cannot do much against normally, such as Lugia and support Arceus formes, but forgoing Memento can leave it as setup fodder.
* Stone Edge is another option if your team is weak against Ho-Oh, since it OHKOes any variant after Stealth Rock damage, but it doesn't get any use outside of this.

Set Details
========

* Full investment in Attack with an Adamant nature ensures Dugtrio can OHKO offensive Primal Groudon and Double Dance Necrozma-DM, two of its main targets, after Stealth Rock damage.
* Groundium Z lets Dugtrio use Tectonic Rage, which can OHKO the Pokemon that Dugtrio is used to trap.
* Full investment in Speed lets Dugtrio outspeed everything up to Magearna at +2 without Speed investment. If using a Jolly nature, Dugtrio can outspeed Mega Diancie and Mega Lucario and trap both while Speed tying with Arceus formes, letting Dugtrio get some damage or use Toxic on them as a last-ditch effort, but the power difference is notable against other targets.
* Arena Trap is the only ability that makes Dugtrio useful, letting it trap and at least cripple some threats in the tier.

Usage Tips
========

* Dugtrio has the ability to discourage Primal Groudon and Magearna from switching in and using Stealth Rock or Volt Switch, respectively. Use this information to pressure the opposing team by preventing Primal Groudon from setting Stealth Rock or baiting Primal Groudon or Magearna to come in by bringing out a Pokemon weak to them, such as Xerneas.
* Never bring Dugtrio into an attack. Due to its terrible bulk, it will fall to almost any neutral hit and will not complete its job.
* After trapping and removing the desired target, Dugtrio can be sacrificed to gain some momentum.
* While Dugtrio is fast, it will fail to cripple slower Pokemon with priority moves, such as Extreme Killer Arceus and boosted Adamant Mega Lucario. Do not try to trap these threats, as Dugtrio will be KOed for no reason.
* Dugtrio can be used to force Necrozma-DM to transform into Ultra Necrozma when trying to trap it, leaving it unable to check Geomancy Xerneas anymore. Be wary, though, that if Necrozma-DM transforms, Dugtrio will be KOed before it can do anything.
* Toxapex and Blissey usually run Shed Shell, allowing them to avoid being trapped and keep momentum by switching out. Do not try to trap them without removing their items beforehand, or at least scout for Black Sludge or Leftovers.

Team Options
========

* Pokemon that appreciate Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM being removed, such as Xerneas, make good partners.
* Setup sweepers, such as offensive Geomancy Xerneas and Mega Salamence, can use the foe afflicted by Dugtrio's Memento as setup fodder.
* Dugtrio traps and removes Magearna, letting Yveltal use its STAB moves with less caution.
* Similarly, Primal Kyogre and its regular forme appreciates Dugtrio's ability to trap and remove Primal Groudon
* Slow pivots pair well with Dugtrio, bringing it in safely. Mega Scizor is a good example , since it baits in Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon, allowing Dugtrio to trap them.
* Paralysis support can be useful in a scenario where trapping an Arceus forme is desired, allowing Dugtrio to set up a Substitute on it and at least cripple it with Screech + Earthquake. Glare Zygarde-C can fulfill this role, since it baits support Arceus formes fairly well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

* Dugtrio has some other options to support its team and itself, but they are mostly outclassed by its other moves.
* Stealth Rock can be used if the team lacks another setter, but Dugtrio isn't a reliable one and can fail to fulfill this role properly.
* Sucker Punch lets Dugtrio hit Mega Gengar and Lunala before getting OHKOed, but it will be almost useless against the latter.
* Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to, in theory, survive a hit and KO a foe, but Dugtrio will miss out on Groundium Z and therefore notable OHKOs on Pokemon it is supposed to trap.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Yveltal and Ho-Oh fear nothing from Dugtrio besides Toxic and the rare Stone Edge in Ho-Oh's case. Mega Salamence deserves a special mention, since Substitute or Refresh variants can use Dugtrio as setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Marshadow, Mega Gengar, and Ultra Necrozma can outspeed Dugtrio and OHKO it with ease due to Dugtrio's awful defensive stats. Despite this, Mega Gengar doesn't like the rare Sucker Punch. Priority users such as Life Orb Marshadow and Rayquaza, Mega Scizor, and Adamant Mega Lucario can all KO Dugtrio as well with their respective priority moves, and Choice Scarf users, such as Xerneas, will OHKO Dugtrio before it can deal damage or use Toxic.

**Bulky Grounded Pokemon**: Support Arceus formes, Mega Sableye, Zygarde-C, and Mega Scizor can shut down Dugtrio in any situation by OHKOing it with Ice Beam , crippling it with a burn, or using it as setup fodder. However, support Arceus formes dislike being hit with Toxic, which leaves them unable to check the rest of Dugtrio's team in the long run. Also, keep in mind that Mega Sableye can't be trapped because it's a Ghost-type, so try to not give momentum to your opponent.

Last edited:
Altough I'm still applying some minor grammar corrections, I will open it to QC, since the main thing is done. I'll finish the corrections later today when I get home.

This is ready for QC

Last edited:
* Dugtrio finds its niche in the Ubers tier as a trapper that can OHKO all variants of Primal Groudon and some Necrozma-DM variants in a reliable way.
252+ Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Groudon-Primal: 312-368 (77.2 - 91%)
252+ Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 328-387 (97.9 - 115.5%)

It fails vs defensive Primal Groudon sets and isnt 100% reliable against Dusk. The forced damage against these mons is very valuable, but reliability isn't on its side like the overview says. I'd reword this to mention that it "can" trap offensive variants of these mons. It can also trap Magearna which is very key for Yveltal or Xerneas teammates, moreso when Magearna avoids typical trapping methods with Volt Switch (Dugtrio blocks it and traps) and this isn't mentioned in the overview.

* Stealth Rock can be used to bring the hazards up, since it can remove Excadrill, the main spinner in the tier, after any amount of damage.
Excadrill isn't the main spinner, and if coming across one it is very likely a hazard lead with Sash which will take a hit and OHKO you back. Not a good matchup. SR is mainly for times where Dugtrio will be otherwise useless.
* Full investiment in Speed lets Dugtrio Outspeed everyting up to Magearna at +2 without investiment. With a Jolly nature, it can outspeed Mega Diancie and Mega Lucario, but the power difference is notable.
To clarify on this I'd ensure to note that Dugtrio may enjoy being faster specifically because it can trap them.

Usage Tips should include being very wary of Ultra Necrozma - if Dugtrio attempts to trap a Dusk and it turns out to be Ultra you are in for a bad time because it is faster and will hit you first.

There is zero mention of Yveltal and Primal Kyogre in Team Options which I find very concerning. These two benefit the most from Dugtrio trapping their checks (Magearna / Primal Groudon, respectively). To properly buff this section, make a seperate point about each mon Dugtrio can trap, then say what can benefit from it.

I'll take another look after changes.

252+ Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Groudon-Primal: 312-368 (77.2 - 91%)
252+ Atk Dugtrio Tectonic Rage (180 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 328-387 (97.9 - 115.5%)

It fails vs defensive Primal Groudon sets and isnt 100% reliable against Dusk. The forced damage against these mons is very valuable, but reliability isn't on its side like the overview says. I'd reword this to mention that it "can" trap offensive variants of these mons. It can also trap Magearna which is very key for Yveltal or Xerneas teammates, moreso when Magearna avoids typical trapping methods with Volt Switch (Dugtrio blocks it and traps) and this isn't mentioned in the overview.

Excadrill isn't the main spinner, and if coming across one it is very likely a hazard lead with Sash which will take a hit and OHKO you back. Not a good matchup. SR is mainly for times where Dugtrio will be otherwise useless.

To clarify on this I'd ensure to note that Dugtrio may enjoy being faster specifically because it can trap them.

Usage Tips should include being very wary of Ultra Necrozma - if Dugtrio attempts to trap a Dusk and it turns out to be Ultra you are in for a bad time because it is faster and will hit you first.

There is zero mention of Yveltal and Primal Kyogre in Team Options which I find very concerning. These two benefit the most from Dugtrio trapping their checks (Magearna / Primal Groudon, respectively). To properly buff this section, make a seperate point about each mon Dugtrio can trap, then say what can benefit from it.

I'll take another look after changes.
Done.

I've added your check plus an additional point in Usage Tips and some modifications in the whole text. Can you check the whole analysis again?

* Yveltal fits well with Dugtrio, since its best check, Magearna, is trapped by the latter, leaving Yveltal spamming its STABs with less cautious.
Yveltal's best check is Arceus-Fairy but Magearna is a close second.
* On the order hand, slow pivots pair well with Dugtrio, bringing it in a safe spot. Magearna and Mega Scizor are good examples of it.
Mention that these mons bait in Dugtrio targets, meaning that they can U-turn to Dugtrio to trap them.

I'd have flying types as #1 counter because well... Dugtrio can't trap them. It's a useless slot against Ground immunes. Damage can still be forced on mons that aren't airborne which can be taken advantage of in some way.

implement for QC 1/3

Mention how you can capitalise on opponents being wary of Dugtrio in usage tips. For example, Primal Groudon or Magearna might be less likely to switch in for fear of a double, and if they do come in, blindly clicking SR or Volt Switch is a less likely play with a Dugtrio in the back.

Mention regular Kyogre in Team Options.

Add Shed Shell users and Ghost-types to checks and counters, since they can't be trapped.

Implement for QC: 2/3

Mention how you can capitalise on opponents being wary of Dugtrio in usage tips. For example, Primal Groudon or Magearna might be less likely to switch in for fear of a double, and if they do come in, blindly clicking SR or Volt Switch is a less likely play with a Dugtrio in the back.

Mention regular Kyogre in Team Options.

Add Shed Shell users and Ghost-types to checks and counters, since they can't be trapped.

Implement for QC: 2/3
Implemented, ready for 3/3

* Dugtrio also has some support moves that can be useful for the team, such as Memento and Stealth Rock.
* Its speed tier, while not on the level of Deoxys or Ultra Necrozma, is higher than most of the tier, letting it outspeed a great portion of Pokémon when they're not under boosts.
I feel like this tries to sell dugtrio too hard. Its usefulness ends at the pdon/dusk/mage trap. The high speed is mostly irrelevant beyond that and the utility it provides is only there for it to do something other than just die. I’d rather see more emphasis on how one dimensional and niche this pokemon is.

* It also takes the Z-Move slot, a thing that can be used better by another Pokémon if your team won't struggle with Primal Groudon nor Necrozma-DM.
I agree with mentioning how using up your z move is an important downside to using dugtrio but the way this bullet is worded implies that dugtrio is a good way to fix a team’s pdon/ dusk weakness. Just say that it prevents you from using your z move on a better pokemon like dusk or lunala.
Suggesting that you should Toxic Mega Salamence is a very bad idea since most run Facade. Support Arceus is a better Toxic target.

For the SR bullet;
* Don't use Dugtrio as your only Stealth Rock setter. Due to it not being a reliable one, it's advised to use it as a secondary setter.
move this line there. Also add because you need SR chip to get some of your KOs.

Set details still says you can ohko defensive pdon when it should say offensive instead.

A Jolly nature can be used to reach a better Speed benchmark, but then you can't achieve the same kills of Adamant, requiring some additional chip damage.
Cut this. It’s vague and useless information and you already explain the pros and cons to using Jolly more clearly two bullets below it. Btw, in the jolly bullet, mention that speed tieing with arceus is a benefit. it lets u try to force damage or a toxic in a pinch, especially since most support arceus will be slower.

it will fail to cripple slower things with priority moves, such as E-Killer Arceus and [bold]Adamant Mega Lucario[/bold]
You can trap Mlucario though but only if it’s unboosted.

Get rid of all magearna as a teammate suggestions. Having magearna and dugtrio on the same team is just never something that should happen. Emphasize GeoXern as a partner, it’s really the only reason to even consider dugtrio as it can trap and kill most if its common checks. Even if it dies to an ultra, it at least forced the forme change before it could be used to possibly check your geoxern. (that’s something that should be in your usage tips btw)

* Setup sweepers, such as offensive Necrozma-DM and Mega Salamence, can use the target of Dugtrio's Memento as a setup fodder.
GeoXern should be the first mon mentioned here. Hell, I wouldnt even mind if you just put something like « Geomany Xerneas and other setup sweepers » insteading of mentioning dusk/mence.

* Also, mons that can revenge kill unboosted Xerneas (after Memento), such as Mega Gengar, appreciates Dugtrio's support.
This doesn’t make any sense to me. Jut remove this line.

CC kinda needs a revamp tbh. the ordering is off and the content is flawed. ordering should be something like:

flyers
faster mons / priority (not worth splitting since functionally same thing and priority is a short list)
general fat (thats not worried about status like zygarde)
general fat (that does dislike toxic ie support arceus)

Ghost types type bullet is’t worth mentioning as a cc besides marsh/mgar being faster revenge killers. (so it goes into the faster mons bullet) Shed Shell bullet can just go into usage details as a warning that these mons are rarely going to be trappable. (you arent using ur blissey/toxapex to kill a dugtrio)

Honestly, if this wasn’t already qc 2/3 I would have rejected this.

I feel like this tries to sell dugtrio too hard. Its usefulness ends at the pdon/dusk/mage trap. The high speed is mostly irrelevant beyond that and the utility it provides is only there for it to do something other than just die. I’d rather see more emphasis on how one dimensional and niche this pokemon is.

I agree with mentioning how using up your z move is an important downside to using dugtrio but the way this bullet is worded implies that dugtrio is a good way to fix a team’s pdon/ dusk weakness. Just say that it prevents you from using your z move on a better pokemon like dusk or lunala.
Suggesting that you should Toxic Mega Salamence is a very bad idea since most run Facade. Support Arceus is a better Toxic target.

For the SR bullet;
move this line there. Also add because you need SR chip to get some of your KOs.

Set details still says you can ohko defensive pdon when it should say offensive instead.

Cut this. It’s vague and useless information and you already explain the pros and cons to using Jolly more clearly two bullets below it. Btw, in the jolly bullet, mention that speed tieing with arceus is a benefit. it lets u try to force damage or a toxic in a pinch, especially since most support arceus will be slower.

You can trap Mlucario though but only if it’s unboosted.

Get rid of all magearna as a teammate suggestions. Having magearna and dugtrio on the same team is just never something that should happen. Emphasize GeoXern as a partner, it’s really the only reason to even consider dugtrio as it can trap and kill most if its common checks. Even if it dies to an ultra, it at least forced the forme change before it could be used to possibly check your geoxern. (that’s something that should be in your usage tips btw)

GeoXern should be the first mon mentioned here. Hell, I wouldnt even mind if you just put something like « Geomany Xerneas and other setup sweepers » insteading of mentioning dusk/mence.

This doesn’t make any sense to me. Jut remove this line.

CC kinda needs a revamp tbh. the ordering is off and the content is flawed. ordering should be something like:

flyers
faster mons / priority (not worth splitting since functionally same thing and priority is a short list)
general fat (thats not worried about status like zygarde)
general fat (that does dislike toxic ie support arceus)

Ghost types type bullet is’t worth mentioning as a cc besides marsh/mgar being faster revenge killers. (so it goes into the faster mons bullet) Shed Shell bullet can just go into usage details as a warning that these mons are rarely going to be trappable. (you arent using ur blissey/toxapex to kill a dugtrio)

Honestly, if this wasn’t already qc 2/3 I would have rejected this.
I've added almost everything here. I will implement the rest later today and edit this post when it's done.

Edit: did. One question: Should I swap the order of Stealth Rock and Stone Edge being slashed or not? Since Dugtrio is nowhere near a reliable setter.

Last edited:
Nah slashing is find. Dugtrio is just a bad pokemon and stone edge has such a limited coverage (only ho oh) that you might as well have it sometimes SR after you get ur trap kill.

Great work on the changes :) The only things left imo is to remove this:
If lacking Screech, Chansey can complement this list, since it can't be knocked out without the drop in Defense.
Because Chansey is of questionable viability unless goth gets banned.

and add Choice Scarf users like Xerneas to the faster pokemon bullet point.

Make these changes and it’s QC 3/3.

Nah slashing is find. Dugtrio is just a bad pokemon and stone edge has such a limited coverage (only ho oh) that you might as well have it sometimes SR after you get ur trap kill.

Great work on the changes :) The only things left imo is to remove this:
Because Chansey is of questionable viability unless goth gets banned.

and add Choice Scarf users like Xerneas to the faster pokemon bullet point.

Make these changes and it’s QC 3/3.
Thanks. This is now ready for GP

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

* Dugtrio, altough although one dimensional, finds its niche in the Ubers tier as a trapper that can reliably OHKO Magearna and offensive variants of Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM in a reliable way.
* Dugtrio also has some support moves such as Memento and Toxic that can be useful for the team after its main job is done, such as Memento and Toxic,(RC) delaying its uselessness.
* Its Dugtrio's Speed tier,(RC) while not on the level of Deoxys or Ultra Necrozma, is higher than most of the tier, letting lets it outspeed all of its targets if they are unboosted.
* Sadly, Dugtrio's utility after its job is done is near zero, considering its mediocre Attack stat and fragility.
* It also takes the Z-Move slot, a thing that which can be used better by another Pokemon like Necrozma-DM and or Lunala.

[SET]
Item: Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake, along with the Z-Crystal Groundium Z, allows Dugtrio to use Tectonic Rage, letting it trap and OHKO offensive Primal Groudon,(RC) and Magenarna,(RC) and OHKO Dual Dance Necrozma-DM and Toxapex,(RC) the two latters after Stealth Rock damage.
* Substitute allows Dugtrio to scout for a recovery move from Special Defensive specially defensive Necrozma-DM,(RC) leaving it able to and remove it in conjuction conjunction with Screech.
* Working alongside Substitute,(RC) Screech lowers the target's defensive stats Defense by 2 two stages, making even a regular Earthquake a dangerous move against defensive targets, most notably the aforementioned Dusk Mane variant,(RC) specially defensive Necrozma-DM;(SC) Dugtrio can outdamage its outdamaging the recovery move and potencially potentially OHKO it.
* Memento serves as a way to bring an ally setup stup sweeper in a favorable scenario,(RC) considering that the move lowers by lowering the offensive stats of the opponent foe by two stages.
* Toxic can be used to cripple Pokemon that Dugtrio cannot touch do much against normally, such as Lugia and support Arceus formes, but can leave it function as a setup fodder.
* Stone Edge is another option it yours if your team is weak against Ho-Oh, since it OHKOes any variant of it after Stealth Rock damage, but it doesn't get any use outside of it this.

Set Details
========

* Full investiment investment in Attack with an Adamant nature ensures Dugtrio can OHKO offensive Primal Groudon and Double Dance Necrozma-DM, two of its main targets, after Stealth Rock damage.
* Groundium Z let you lets Dugtrio use Tectonic Rage, the move that which can OHKO the Pokemon that Dugtrio is used to trap.
* Full investiment investment in Speed lets Dugtrio Outspeed everyting outspeed everything up to Magearna at +2 without investiment Speed investment. With If using a Jolly nature, it Dugtrio can outspeed Mega Diancie and Mega Lucario and trap both,(RC) while speed tieing Speed tying with Arceus formes,(AC) letting Dugtrio and force get some damage or use Toxic it on them as a last-ditch effort, but the power difference is notable against other targets.
* Arena Trap is the only ability that makes Dugtrio useful, letting it trap and at least cripple some threats in the tier.

Usage Tips
========

* Dugtrio has the ability to discourage Primal Groudon and Magearna from switching in or bring rocks up and use and using Stealth Rock or Volt Switch mindlessly, respectively, fearing it as they fear Dugtrio switching in for free or by a double. Use this information in your favor, pressuring the opposing team to not setup Stealth Rock using Primal Groudon or baiting them with a Pokemon that are checked by them before a setup, such as Xerneas. Use this information to pressure the opposing team by preventing Primal Groudon from setting Stealth Rock or baiting Primal Groudon or Magearna to come in by bringing out a Pokemon weak to them, such as Xerneas.
* Never bring Dugtrio into an attack or predicting a switch. (wouldn't you want to bring Dugtrio on a predicted switch into something it can trap) Due to its unexistent terrible bulk, it will fall to almost any neutral hit taken and will not complete its job.
* After trapping and removing the desired target, Dugtrio can be sacked sacrificed to gain some momentum. With its low base Attack stat, it won't do too much after this in a tier filled with defensive titans.
* While Dugtrio is fast even considering an Adamant, it will fail to cripple slower things Pokemon with priority moves, such as E-Killer Extreme Killer Arceus and boosted Adamant Mega Lucario. Do not try to trap such examples these threats, or as Dugtrio will be sacked KOed for no reason.
* Dugtrio can be used to force Necrozma-DM to transform in its into Ultra forme Necrozma when trying to trap it, leaving it unable to check Geomancy Xerneas anymore. Be wary, though, that if Necrozma-(AH)DM transforms, Dugtrio will be sacked KOed before it can do anything.
* Toxapex and Blissey usually runs run Shed Shell, allowing them to avoid being trapped and keep the momentum by switching out. Keep this information in mind and do Do not try to trap them without removing its item before their items beforehand,(AC) or at least scout for Black Sludge or Leftovers or Black Sludge respectively.

Team Options
========

* Pokemon that appreciate Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM being removed, such as Xerneas, makes make good partners.
* Setup sweepers, such as offensive Geomancy Xerneas and Mega Salamence, can use the target of foe afflicted by Dugtrio's Memento as a setup fodder.
* Yveltal fits well with Dugtrio, since one of its best cheks, Magearna, is trapped by the latter, leaving Yveltal spamming its STABs with less cautious. Dugtrio traps and removes Magearna, letting Yveltal use its STAB moves with less caution.
* Similarly,(AC) Primal Kyogre and its regular forme, just like Yveltal with Magearna, appreciates Dugtrio's ability to trap and remove Primal Groudon,(RC) so its pairs in a good way with it.
* On the order hand, slow Slow pivots pair well with Dugtrio, bringing it in a safe spot safely. Mega Scizor is a good example of it, since it baits in Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon, allowing Dugtrio to trap them.
* Paralysis support can be useful in a scenario where trapping an Arceus forme is desired, allowing Dugtrio to setup set up a Substitute on it and at least cripple it with Screech + Earthquake. Glare Zygarde-C can do fulfill this role, since its it baits support Arceus formes fairly well.

Other Options
========

* Dugtrio has some other options to support its team and itself, but they are mostly outclassed by its other moves.
* Stealth Rock can be used if the team lacks another setter, but Dugtrio isn't a reliable one and can fail to do fulfill this role properly.
* Sucker Punch lets Dugtrio hit Mega Gengar and Lunala before getting OHKOed, but it will be almost useless against the latter.
* Focus Sash, while seen some utility in theory, it didn't allow Dugtrio to trap and OHKO its targets Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to, in theory, survive a hit and KO a foe, but Dugtrio will miss out on Groundium Z and therefore notable OHKOs on Pokemon it is supposed to trap. (honestly, this wording is not sufficient enough to warrant Focus Sash being in OO. I asked a QCer to help with the wording)

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Yveltal and Ho-Oh fear nothing from Dugtrio besides Toxic and the rare Stone Edge in Ho-Oh's case. Mega Salamence desserves deserves a special mention, since Substitute or Refresh variants can use Dugtrio as a setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Marshadow, Mega Gengar,(AC) and Ultra Necrozma can outspeed any variation of Dugtrio and OHKO it with ease due to Dugtrio's awful defensive stats. Despite this, Mega Gengar doesn't like the rare Sucker Punch,(RC) although it's rare. For priority Priority users,(RC) such as Life Orb Marshadow and Rayquaza, Mega Scizor,(AC) and Adamant Mega Lucario can all OHKO KO Dugtrio with their respective priority moves,(RC) with Mega Scizor and Mega Lucario only picking the garanteed OHKO with 1 layer of Spikes. Choice Scarf users, such as Xerneas, will OHKO Dugtrio before it could chip some can deal damage or cripple it with a use Toxic.

**Bulky-(RH)Grounded Pokemon**: Support Arceus forms formes, Mega Sableye,Zygarde Sableye,(AC) Zygarde-C,(AC) and Mega Scizor can shut down Dugtrio in any situation,(RC) by just OHKOing it with Ice Beam in the case of Arceus, cripple crippling it with a burn,(AC) with Mega Sableye or using Dugtrio as a setup fodder,(RC) talking about the latter two. However, support Arceus dislikes being toxic by Dugtrio formes dislike being hit with Toxic, leaving it which leaves them unable to check the rest of the Dugtrio's team in the long run. Also, keep in mind that Mega Sableye can't be trapped because it's a Ghost-type, so be aware try to not give momentum to your opponent when trying to do the last required damage to eliminate it.
GP 1/2

Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

* Dugtrio, altough although one dimensional, finds its niche in the Ubers tier as a trapper that can reliably OHKO Magearna and offensive variants of Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM in a reliable way.
* Dugtrio also has some support moves such as Memento and Toxic that can be useful for the team after its main job is done, such as Memento and Toxic,(RC) delaying its uselessness.
* Its Dugtrio's Speed tier,(RC) while not on the level of Deoxys or Ultra Necrozma, is higher than most of the tier, letting lets it outspeed all of its targets if they are unboosted.
* It also takes the Z-Move slot, a thing that which can be used better by another Pokemon like Necrozma-DM and or Lunala.

[SET]
Item: Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake, along with the Z-Crystal Groundium Z, allows Dugtrio to use Tectonic Rage, letting it trap and OHKO offensive Primal Groudon,(RC) and Magenarna,(RC) and OHKO Dual Dance Necrozma-DM and Toxapex,(RC) the two latters after Stealth Rock damage.
* Substitute allows Dugtrio to scout for a recovery move from Special Defensive specially defensive Necrozma-DM,(RC) leaving it able to and remove it in conjuction conjunction with Screech.
* Working alongside Substitute,(RC) Screech lowers the target's defensive stats Defense by 2 two stages, making even a regular Earthquake a dangerous move against defensive targets, most notably the aforementioned Dusk Mane variant,(RC) specially defensive Necrozma-DM;(SC) Dugtrio can outdamage its outdamaging the recovery move and potencially potentially OHKO it.
* Memento serves as a way to bring an ally setup stup sweeper in a favorable scenario,(RC) considering that the move lowers by lowering the offensive stats of the opponent foe by two stages.
* Toxic can be used to cripple Pokemon that Dugtrio cannot touch do much against normally, such as Lugia and support Arceus formes, but can leave it function as a setup fodder.
* Stone Edge is another option it yours if your team is weak against Ho-Oh, since it OHKOes any variant of it after Stealth Rock damage, but it doesn't get any use outside of it this.

Set Details
========

* Full investiment investment in Attack with an Adamant nature ensures Dugtrio can OHKO offensive Primal Groudon and Double Dance Necrozma-DM, two of its main targets, after Stealth Rock damage.
* Groundium Z let you lets Dugtrio use Tectonic Rage, the move that which can OHKO the Pokemon that Dugtrio is used to trap.
* Full investiment investment in Speed lets Dugtrio Outspeed everyting outspeed everything up to Magearna at +2 without investiment Speed investment. With If using a Jolly nature, it Dugtrio can outspeed Mega Diancie and Mega Lucario and trap both,(RC) while speed tieing Speed tying with Arceus formes,(AC) letting Dugtrio and force get some damage or use Toxic it on them as a last-ditch effort, but the power difference is notable against other targets.

Usage Tips
========

* Dugtrio has the ability to discourage Primal Groudon and Magearna from switching in or bring rocks up and use and using Stealth Rock or Volt Switch mindlessly, respectively, fearing it as they fear Dugtrio switching in for free or by a double. Use this information in your favor, pressuring the opposing team to not setup Stealth Rock using Primal Groudon or baiting them with a Pokemon that are checked by them before a setup, such as Xerneas. Use this information to pressure the opposing team by preventing Primal Groudon from setting Stealth Rock or baiting Primal Groudon or Magearna to come in by bringing out a Pokemon weak to them, such as Xerneas.
* Never bring Dugtrio into an attack or predicting a switch. (wouldn't you want to bring Dugtrio on a predicted switch into something it can trap) Due to its unexistent terrible bulk, it will fall to almost any neutral hit taken and will not complete its job.
* After trapping and removing the desired target, Dugtrio can be sacked sacrificed to gain some momentum. With its low base Attack stat, it won't do too much after this in a tier filled with defensive titans.
* While Dugtrio is fast even considering an Adamant, it will fail to cripple slower things Pokemon with priority moves, such as E-Killer Extreme Killer Arceus and boosted Adamant Mega Lucario. Do not try to trap such examples these threats, or as Dugtrio will be sacked KOed for no reason.
* Dugtrio can be used to force Necrozma-DM to transform in its into Ultra forme Necrozma when trying to trap it, leaving it unable to check Geomancy Xerneas anymore. Be wary, though, that if Necrozma-(AH)DM transforms, Dugtrio will be sacked KOed before it can do anything.
* Toxapex and Blissey usually runs run Shed Shell, allowing them to avoid being trapped and keep the momentum by switching out. Keep this information in mind and do Do not try to trap them without removing its item before their items beforehand,(AC) or at least scout for Black Sludge or Leftovers or Black Sludge respectively.

Team Options
========

* Pokemon that appreciate Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM being removed, such as Xerneas, makes make good partners.
* Setup sweepers, such as offensive Geomancy Xerneas and Mega Salamence, can use the target of foe afflicted by Dugtrio's Memento as a setup fodder.
* Yveltal fits well with Dugtrio, since one of its best cheks, Magearna, is trapped by the latter, leaving Yveltal spamming its STABs with less cautious. Dugtrio traps and removes Magearna, letting Yveltal use its STAB moves with less caution.
* Similarly,(AC) Primal Kyogre and its regular forme, just like Yveltal with Magearna, appreciates Dugtrio's ability to trap and remove Primal Groudon,(RC) so its pairs in a good way with it.
* On the order hand, slow Slow pivots pair well with Dugtrio, bringing it in a safe spot safely. Mega Scizor is a good example of it, since it baits in Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon, allowing Dugtrio to trap them.
* Paralysis support can be useful in a scenario where trapping an Arceus forme is desired, allowing Dugtrio to setup set up a Substitute on it and at least cripple it with Screech + Earthquake. Glare Zygarde-C can do fulfill this role, since its it baits support Arceus formes fairly well.

Other Options
========

* Stealth Rock can be used if the team lacks another setter, but Dugtrio isn't a reliable one and can fail to do fulfill this role properly.
* Focus Sash, while seen some utility in theory, it didn't allow Dugtrio to trap and OHKO its targets Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to, in theory, survive a hit and KO a foe, but Dugtrio will miss out on Groundium Z and therefore notable OHKOs on Pokemon it is supposed to trap. (honestly, this wording is not sufficient enough to warrant Focus Sash being in OO. I asked a QCer to help with the wording)

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Yveltal and Ho-Oh fear nothing from Dugtrio besides Toxic and the rare Stone Edge in Ho-Oh's case. Mega Salamence desserves deserves a special mention, since Substitute or Refresh variants can use Dugtrio as a setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Marshadow, Mega Gengar,(AC) and Ultra Necrozma can outspeed any variation of Dugtrio and OHKO it with ease due to Dugtrio's awful defensive stats. Despite this, Mega Gengar doesn't like the rare Sucker Punch,(RC) although it's rare. For priority Priority users,(RC) such as Life Orb Marshadow and Rayquaza, Mega Scizor,(AC) and Adamant Mega Lucario can all OHKO KO Dugtrio with their respective priority moves,(RC) with Mega Scizor and Mega Lucario only picking the garanteed OHKO with 1 layer of Spikes. Choice Scarf users, such as Xerneas, will OHKO Dugtrio before it could chip some can deal damage or cripple it with a use Toxic.

**Bulky-(RH)Grounded Pokemon**: Support Arceus forms formes, Mega Sableye,Zygarde Sableye,(AC) Zygarde-C,(AC) and Mega Scizor can shut down Dugtrio in any situation,(RC) by just OHKOing it with Ice Beam in the case of Arceus, cripple crippling it with a burn,(AC) with Mega Sableye or using Dugtrio as a setup fodder,(RC) talking about the latter two. However, support Arceus dislikes being toxic by Dugtrio formes dislike being hit with Toxic, leaving it which leaves them unable to check the rest of the Dugtrio's team in the long run. Also, keep in mind that Mega Sableye can't be trapped because it's a Ghost-type, so be aware try to not give momentum to your opponent when trying to do the last required damage to eliminate it.
GP 1/2
Thanks for the hard work!!!
Ready to GP 2/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

* Dugtrio, although one-dimensional, (AH) finds its niche in the Ubers tier as a trapper that can reliably OHKO Magearna and offensive variants of Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM.
* Dugtrio also has some support moves such as Memento and Toxic that can be useful for the team after its main job is done, delaying its uselessness.
* Dugtrio's Speed tier lets it outspeed all of its targets if they are unboosted.
* It also takes the Z-Move slot, which can be used better by another Pokemon like Necrozma-DM or Lunala.

[SET]
item: Groundium Z
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Earthquake, along with Groundium Z, allows Dugtrio to use Tectonic Rage, letting it trap and OHKO offensive Primal Groudon and Magenarna Magearna and OHKO Dual Double Dance Necrozma-DM and Toxapex after Stealth Rock damage.
* Substitute allows Dugtrio to scout for a recovery move from specially defensive Necrozma-DM and remove it in conjunction with Screech.
* Screech lowers the target's Defense by two stages, making makes even a regular an unboosted Earthquake a dangerous move against defensive targets, most notably specially defensive Necrozma-DM; Dugtrio can outdamage its recovery move and potentially OHKO it.
* Memento serves as a way to bring an ally setup sweeper in a favorable scenario by lowering the offensive stats of the foe by two stages.
* Toxic can be used to cripple Pokemon that Dugtrio cannot do much against normally, such as Lugia and support Arceus formes, but forgoing Memento (I think? not sure how else this makes sense) can leave it as setup fodder.
* Stone Edge is another option if your team is weak against Ho-Oh, since it OHKOes any variant after Stealth Rock damage, but it doesn't get any use outside of this.

Set Details
========

* Full investment in Attack with an Adamant nature ensures Dugtrio can OHKO offensive Primal Groudon and Double Dance Necrozma-DM, two of its main targets, after Stealth Rock damage.
* Groundium Z lets Dugtrio use Tectonic Rage, which can OHKO the Pokemon that Dugtrio is used to trap.
* Full investment in Speed lets Dugtrio outspeed everything up to Magearna at +2 without Speed investment. If using a Jolly nature, Dugtrio can outspeed Mega Diancie and Mega Lucario and trap both while Speed tying with Arceus formes, letting Dugtrio get some damage or use Toxic on them as a last-ditch effort, but the power difference is notable against other targets.

Usage Tips
========

* Dugtrio has the ability to discourage Primal Groudon and Magearna from switching in and using Stealth Rock or Volt Switch, respectively, as they fear Dugtrio switching in. Use this information to pressure the opposing team by preventing Primal Groudon from setting Stealth Rock or baiting Primal Groudon or Magearna to come in by bringing out a Pokemon weak to them, such as Xerneas.
* Never bring Dugtrio into an attack. Due to its terrible bulk, it will fall to almost any neutral hit and will not complete its job.
* After trapping and removing the desired target, Dugtrio can be sacrificed to gain some momentum.
* While Dugtrio is fast, it will fail to cripple slower Pokemon with priority moves, such as Extreme Killer Arceus and boosted Adamant Mega Lucario. Do not try to trap these threats, as Dugtrio will be KOed for no reason.
* Dugtrio can be used to force Necrozma-DM to transform into Ultra Necrozma when trying to trap it, leaving it unable to check Geomancy Xerneas anymore. Be wary, though, that if Necrozma-DM transforms, Dugtrio will be KOed before it can do anything.
* Toxapex and Blissey usually run Shed Shell, allowing them to avoid being trapped and keep momentum by switching out. Do not try to trap them without removing their items beforehand, (space) or at least scout for Black Sludge or Leftovers.

Team Options
========

* Pokemon that appreciate Primal Groudon and Necrozma-DM being removed, such as Xerneas, make good partners.
* Setup sweepers, such as offensive Geomancy Xerneas and Mega Salamence, can use the foe afflicted by Dugtrio's Memento as setup fodder.
* Dugtrio traps and removes Magearna, letting Yveltal use its STAB moves with less caution.
* Similarly,(space)Primal Kyogre and its regular forme appreciates Dugtrio's ability to trap and remove Primal Groudon
* Slow pivots pair well with Dugtrio, bringing it in safely. Mega Scizor is a good example , since it baits in Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon, allowing Dugtrio to trap them.
* Paralysis support can be useful in a scenario where trapping an Arceus forme is desired, allowing Dugtrio to set up a Substitute on it and at least cripple it with Screech + Earthquake. Glare Zygarde-C can fulfill this role, since it baits support Arceus formes fairly well.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

* Stealth Rock can be used if the team lacks another setter, but Dugtrio isn't a reliable one and can fail to fulfill this role properly.
* Focus Sash allows Dugtrio to, in theory, survive a hit and KO a foe, but Dugtrio will miss out on Groundium Z and therefore notable OHKOs on Pokemon it is supposed to trap.

Checks and Counters
========

**Flying-types**: Yveltal and Ho-Oh fear nothing from Dugtrio besides Toxic and the rare Stone Edge in Ho-Oh's case. Mega Salamence deserves a special mention, since Substitute or Refresh variants can use Dugtrio as setup fodder.

**Faster Pokemon**: Marshadow, Mega Gengar, and Ultra Necrozma can outspeed Dugtrio and OHKO it with ease due to Dugtrio's awful defensive stats. Despite this, Mega Gengar doesn't like the rare Sucker Punch. (AP) Priority users such as Life Orb Marshadow and Rayquaza, Mega Scizor, and Adamant Mega Lucario can all KO Dugtrio as well with their respective priority moves, (comma) and Choice Scarf users, such as Xerneas, will OHKO Dugtrio before it can deal damage or use Toxic.

**Bulky Grounded Pokemon**: Support Arceus formes, Mega Sableye, Zygarde-C, and Mega Scizor can shut down Dugtrio in any situation by OHKOing it with Ice Beam , crippling it with a burn, or using Dugtrio it as setup fodder. However, support Arceus formes dislike being hit with Toxic, which leaves them unable to check the rest of Dugtrio's team in the long run. Also, keep in mind that Mega Sableye can't be trapped because it's a Ghost-type, so try to not give momentum to your oponente opponent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)