SM PU Drifblim/ specs manetric team PU

Ok, so this may be a basic team, but I'm just getting started with competitive building. I love the PU tier and all the pokemon in it. Enough with the rambling here is the team.
Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Toxic

So first is Regirock. A mainstay of the tier. He is one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier. He serves as my stealth rocker of the team and defensive wall. Regirock can take at least 2 close combats from scarf Primeape. It walls most if not all unboosted physical attackers in the tier. This is a fairly standard set. Toxic is for any switches when a physical pokemon. Also, in a pinch, it can be used as a special well. It surprisingly takes specs Drampa and Guzzlord attacks at least once. Earthquake is good to beat skuntank who switches in to defog.

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Scald
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes

Qwilfish plays a very important aspect on this team. The most important part of this build even though it's a common build is the toxic spikes. Even one layer works as the poison is just needed to assist Drifblim later in the game. Rocky helmet is great to just chip off opponents who aimless use physical attacks. It has good speed so for pokemon who start off trying to stealth rock or hazard set it can taunt. Also, spikes stacking will assist in chipping pokemon so that in the late game other pokemon can sweep.

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Defog
- Hex

Drifblim works great to finish up games. This is a common driflbim set but it can be very useful in finishing off games. It is quick enough to substitute and eventually reach the point where its sitrus berry activates thus activating its unburden. Once its sitrus berry activates it is faster than almost the entire metagame, most common choice scarf pokemon included. Hex can do large damage to Mesprit one of the best and most common pokemon in the tier. The same with froslass. Also, if pokemon have been poisoned via qwilfish's toxic spikes the damage output is large for almost any pokemon. The majority of Pokemon have received chip damage can be beaten by drifblim. It also is a great spin blocker, and on this team it is used to defog and help remover hazards.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Focus Blast
- Toxic
- Vacuum Wave

Poliwrath partakes in a special tank role. It works great for beating guzzlord a common threat in the tier. It is bulky and can take a majority hits. It packs good power with focus blast. It has some speed control against pokemon who have been weakened when it uses vacuum wave. It also has toxic in order to poison pokemon who are forced to switch out because of it. Once again assisting drifblim in the late game. As I don't have many special attackers on this team it is important to help break physical walls, most which are weak to fighting type.

Manectric @ Choice Specs
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I know that manectric is used in the choice scarf role in PU. However, it has a good base speed tier. Along with a great special attack stat. It is a great wallbreaker and on teams with no ground type it's switching around with volt switch can put large chip damage on teams. Also, it covers a lot of the weaknesses other members of my team are weak to. It also is a good switch in for any electric type attacks that target my team. If hit by an electric type attack it's special attack can OHKO almost any pokemon in the tier.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Healing Wish
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn

Mesprit is, in my opinion, the best pokemon in the tier. Mesprit has a choice scarf in order for speed control in the tier where speed is very important. It is a simple set. Dazzling gleam is used over a move like ice beam to do damage to the majority of fighting, dragon, and dark types that are prominent in the tier. Healing wish is great to use endgame on any one of the powerful pokemon in my team who have been weakened throughout the match. Thus, giving them enough health to sweep in the end game.

I would appreciate tips, suggestions, and anything to help make this team better. Thank you!

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello and welcome to Smogon irisddragon,

Your team is fairly solid only having a few weaknesses, Drifblim is a Pokemon that fails to preform consistently as there is just too much working against it in the current metagame. With Rock-type Pokemon being common and Alolan Sandslah being very common it is hard for it to sweep effectively. Choice Specs Manetric is also pretty lackluster as it is not incredibly strong as it lacks reliable high power STAB. Choice Scarf on Manetric is better as it makes it a good Pokemon against offensive team and can be used to revenge kill fast Pokemon such as Lycanroc. That being said I think your team covers most threats with just a few weakness that are pretty hard to cover without changing several key members of your team, I was racking my brain for a long time to help without changing too much, as it seems you like your team overall. With a little help from Jmash324 I was able to come up with a change that helps round out the team, so I hope you enjoy it.

Set Changes:

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Scald
- Taunt
- Toxic Spikes ---> Destiny Bond

Toxic Spikes are good for your team in general, but having another way of dealing with slow wallbreakers is even better for your team. Your team can struggle to break and gets worn down very quickly so this is the best option on your Qwilfish and is the only real way you can beat Substitute + Calm Mind Mesprit.

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Defog ---> Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Having Defog on this is asking Drifblim to do way too much. It already struggles to win games and while it can Defog decently on Mesprit it fails to Defog on most other Stealth Rock Pokemon. It also needs to be used conservetvly until it is able to clean up gsmes so you don't really want to be switching this in willy-nilly. Defog when used with hazard stack is most opf the time very counter productive. Will-o-Wisp helps in crippling Physical attackers as well powering up Hex, which is need cause the loss of Toxic Spikes.

Manectric @ Choice Specs ---> Choice Scarf
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I went over Manetric eailer in my post and I think Choice Scarf is just the best option for your team. With the suggested loss of Choice Scarf Mesprit it is even more crucial to have a fast revenge killer. Choice Scarf Manetric works very much like the Choice Specs set and I think you will like the added speed as it can threaten more Pokemon then the Choice Specs set as it outpaces the majority of the tier including other Choice Scarf users. You could run Switcharoo over Hidden Power Grass, but I think you struggle against Quagsire a bit so Hidden Power Grass seems like the better option overall. Manetric helps you in weather matchups as well as with Choice Scarf it is outspeeding common weather abusers like modest Ludicolo and Alolan Sandslash.

Pokemon Changes:

--->

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 156 HP / 224 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

Poliwrath wasn't necessarily a bad choice for your team it's just Hitmonchan helps you switch in Guzzlord which otherwise got free kills against your team when it was in on Qwilfish and Manetric. This also adds a bit of hazard control which can be nice, but I don't think it as crucial as having a check to powerful special attackers. You should focus more about having your hazards up then keeping your opponents away as you need to weaken the opposing team quickly in order to give your Drifblim an opportunity to clean.

--->

Claydol @ Groundium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Dazzling Gleam

Claydol is a Pokemon that has a little bit of a bad reputation as it does a mediocre job in its niche of Stealth Rock + Rapid Spin. I am a fan of Offensive tank Claydol however as I feel it can be hard to switch into and it actually checks things better in my opinion so I don't feel bad about suggesting this here. The reason I feel you should go Claydol comes from an akward group of threats to your team that only really Claydol can handle to some reliability. Alolan Raichu and Gurdurr were gigantic threats to your team before. Alolan Raichu in particular was very threatening as you had no counter play to it, which Claydol remedies. It also checks Gurdurr nicely as Qwilfish is not a solid answer to it. Speed is for Aggron and Aurorus and with Groundium Z you threaten the OHKO against Aurorus and you can actually lure it in which is always nice. Tectonic Rage is there mostly to get the OHKO on Alolan Raichu as Earth Power can fail to OHKO but it is in your favor to OHKO regardless.

Team Changes <--- Click for importable

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry to double post here but you should run 12 hp evs on Drifblim to activate sitrius after two subs. You can take it out of attack or speed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)