DP Vaporeon .

Vaporeon
This was a joint effort between Stathakis and me. We both, after testing Specs Vaporeon, found it to be potent enough to write this.

[SET]
Name: Specs Vaporeon
Move 1: Surf
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Hidden Power Electric
Move 4: Wish / Hydro Pump/ Baton Pass
Item: Choice Specs
evs: 52 HP / 252 Def / 200 Spa/4 Spe
Nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A more offensive version of Vaporeon, geared to use his often overlooked base 110 Special Attack. Here are some calcs:
<p>Hidden Power Electric:</p>
<ul>
<li>Bold 252 HP Suicune: Damage: 48.02% - 56.44%</li>
<li>Bold 252 HP Milotic: Damage: 45.94% - 54.06%</li>
<li>Calm 204 HP/172 Tentacruel:Damage: 42.33% - 49.72%(2hko in Sandstorm switching in with SR in play)</li>
<li>Neutral 160 HP Starmie:Damage: 82.72% - 97.34%</li>
</ul>

<p>Ice Beam:</p>
<ul>
<li>Bold 252 HP Zapdos:Damage: 83.59% - 98.18%(Ohko with SR up)</li>
<li>Mild 4 HP Kingdra:Damage: 52.40% - 61.64%(2hko in SS)</li>
<li>Bold 252 HP Celebi:Damage: 85.96% - 101.17%(Likely ko with SR up)</li>
</ul>

<p>Surf:</p>
<ul>
<li>Neutral 252 HP Machamp:Damage: 78.26% - 91.93%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 HP Swampert:Damage: 70.47% - 82.75%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 HP Jirachi: Damage: 64.33% - 75.73%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 HP/96 Spdef Bronzong: Damage: 52.96% - 62.13%</li>
<li>Calm 252 SP Def/6 HP Wobbuffet:Damage: 42.15% - 49.62%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 HP Cresselia: Damage: 39.86% - 46.85%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 HP Regice: Damage: 33.24% - 39.01%</li>
</ul>

<p>Hydro Pump:</p>
<ul>
<li>Calm 252 HP Regice: 46%-54% (2HKO with Stealth Rock in play</li>
<li>252 HP Cresselia: 58.53% - 68.77%</li>
<li>Calm 252 SP Def/6 HP Wobbuffet:Damage: 53.07% - 62.45%</li>
</ul>

<p> In this set, Vaporeon trades its amazing ability to tank for a much higher offensive power. This offensive power is potent enough to OHKO
Garchomp with Ice Beam, even if Garchomp is holding a Yache Berry. That is one of the more prominent features of Specs Vaporeon. This Vaporeon also manages to kill 252 HP Celebi with Ice Beam if that Celebi has taken almost any prior damage and switches into Stealth Rock. All of the water type counters to Vaporeon, like Starmie and Ludicolo, fall to HP Electric. Also, BulkyGyara is ko'd by HP Electric. Specs Surf will kill a variety of Pokemon, such as Metagross and 252 HP Tyranitar. Swampert is 2HKO'd by Surf as well. This set also 2HKO's many Pokemon, such as 252 HP Machamp and Hariyama.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, what this set gains in offensive capabilities it loses in the area of defense. A +2 Garchomp Outrage will OHKO Vaporeon, and a +2 Earthquake will as well. The merit of this set becomes apparent when one predicts well enough to get this in on things, as when it does get in, it will wreak havoc. Getting it in is somewhat difficult, but Vaporeon does a pretty good job of it with a useful water immunity, decent resistances, and general bulkiness. Infernape's Life Orb Close Combat still fails to 2HKO, as does Thunderpunch and Grass Knot, so this still serves as a great Mixape counter.Vaporeon is given 4 speed evs to beat other Vaporeon to the punch with HP Electric and deliver a 2HKO in Sandstorm or if Stealth Rock is in play. This Vaporeon will not serve as a run-of-the-mill bulky water, as it cannot take hits quite well enough as something EV'd for that purpose. Instead, it is a reliable switch, and surprisingly decent wallbreaker, able to stop everything pretty well.</p>

<p>The choice between Hydro Pump, Wish, and Baton Pass is a tough one. Hydro Pump hits much harder all around, with the advantage of not needing Stealth Rock's assistance for a guarantee a 2HKO on Wobbufet, where Surf will fail to 2HKO. Hydro Pump also hits neutrally much harder, in case you mispredict. The 2HKO on Wobbuffet is significant enough to opt for Hydro Pump, but on top of that, Hydro Pump always 2HKOs 252 HP Calm Regice with the assistance of Stealth Rock, which is something Surf will only be able to do if it rolls absolutely max damage both times. Now, Wish with Choice Specs may look slightly weird, but it actually works rather well. Simply wish while the opponent switches to a "counter". It also will provide team support or gaining some health of her own, should she need it. This is rather helpful to support the team when the opponent has something like Blissey or Snorlax alive that can take everything Vaporeon has and force Vaporeon out. It requires some prediction to pull off well, because otherwise, Vaporeon may be left wishing when it could use an attack on a Starmie or Celebi switching in. Baton Pass is useful for scouting a counter in the beginning of the match and switching to a counter of your own. It also prevents you from taking a serious blow from some powerful pokemon. </p>

<p>Vaporeon's ev spread has been geared to OHKO Garchomp even if Garchomp is holding a Yache Berry. Sometimes, on a team, that's not as needed, but a more defensively reliable Vaporeon may be of more use. For this purpose, a second EV spread, 200 HP, 204 Defense, 100 Special Attack, 4 Speed, can be used. This hits 462 Special Attack with the Specs, so it is still very potent. This set, however, fails to OHKO Yache Berry Garchomp, but is much more potent defensively.</p>

I'm not quite sure if the html is done the right way, but I read chaos's primer, and I put the calcs as a list. someone please correct this is if it's wrong. anyways, specs vappy, after testing, has made a great addition to offensive teams, being able to deal massive hits and support the team at the same time. it 2HKO's a lot of the common walls, which is nice, and even though a lot more pokemon threaten it than regular old vappy, they can't switch in too well, which means they have to come in on revenge kills, which means vappy just took something out. this thing nets me an average of 3 kills per game if I don't do something stupid and get it crippled early on.

oh, and can someone please edit the "Specs" into the title?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eh, Empoleon pretty much does this exact style of set better. Except the whole switching-into-Infernape-or-Garchomp thing.

Analysis is way, way, WAY too long. It's just a Specs set, it doesn't need a terribly large amount of explanation.

The idea of a Specs Vaporeon seems to work just like Choice Banded Steelix does. I'm hesitant, but it does look okay as a set in general.

Empoleon has got nothing on this. They are very different in fact. Empoleon has that not so good EQ weak as well as no immune to water. It also lacks the option of Wish. This seems very nice, and very usable.

I like the set as it does difer from empoleon. Although you do need wish on it, or at least baton pass for scouting.

I revised it and fixed a lot of errors below.

<p> In this set, Vaporeon trades its amazing ability to tank for a much higher offensive power. This offensive power is potent enough to OHKO
Garchomp with Ice Beam, even if Garchomp is holding a Yache Berry. That is one of the more prominent features of Specs Vaporeon. This Vaporeon also manages to kill 252 HP Celebi with Ice Beam if that Celebi has taken almost any prior damage and switches into Stealth Rock. All of the water type counters to Vaporeon, like Starmie and Ludicolo, fall to HP Electric. Also, BulkyGyara is ko'd by HP Electric. Specs Surf will kill a variety of Pokemon, such as Metagross and 252 HP Tyranitar. Swampert is 2HKO'd by Surf as well. This set also 2HKO's many Pokemon, such as 252 HP Machamp and Hariyama.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, what this set gains in offensive capabilities it loses in the area of defense. A +2 Garchomp Outrage will OHKO Vaporeon, and a +2 Earthquake will as well. The merit of this set becomes apparent when one predicts well enough to get this in on things, as when it does get in, it will wreak havoc. Getting it in is somewhat difficult, but Vaporeon does a pretty good job of it with a useful water immunity, decent resistances, and general bulkiness. Infernape's Life Orb Close Combat still fails to 2HKO, as does Thunderpunch and Grass Knot, so this still serves as a great Mixape counter. Vaporeon is given 4 speed evs to beat other Vaporeon to the punch with HP Electric and deliver a 2HKO in Sandstorm or if Stealth Rock is in play. This Vaporeon will not serve as a run-of-the-mill bulky water, as it cannot take hits quite well enough as something EV'd for that purpose. Instead, it is a reliable switch, and surprisingly decent wallbreaker, able to stop everything pretty well.</p>

<p>The choice between Hydro Pump and Wish is a tough one. Hydro Pump hits much harder all around, with the advantage of not needing Stealth Rock's assistance for a guarantee a 2HKO on Wobbufet, where Surf will fail to 2HKO. Hydro Pump also hits neutrally much harder, in case you mispredict. The 2HKO on Wobbuffet is significant enough to opt for Hydro Pump, but on top of that, Hydro Pump always 2HKOs 252 HP Calm Regice with the assistance of Stealth Rock, which is something Surf will only be able to do if it rolls absolutely max damage both times. Now, Wish with Choice Specs may look slightly weird, but it actually works rather well. Simply wish while the opponent switches to a "counter". It also will provide team support or gaining some health of her own, should she need it. This is rather helpful to support the team when the opponent has something like Blissey or Snorlax alive that can take everything Vaporeon has and force Vaporeon out. It requires some prediction to pull off well, because otherwise, Vaporeon may be left wishing when it could use an attack on a Starmie or Celebi switching in.</p>

<p>Vaporeon's ev spread has been geared to OHKO Garchomp even if Garchomp is holding a Yache Berry. Sometimes, on a team, that's not as needed, but a more defensively reliable Vaporeon may be of more use. For this purpose, a second EV spread, 200 HP, 204 Defense, 100 Special Attack, 4 Speed, can be used. This hits 462 Special Attack with the Specs, so it is still very potent. This set, however, fails to OHKO Yache Berry Garchomp, but is much more potent defensively.</p>

This is a good set. Plays much different than Empoleon. I never used Specs Vaporeon, but I can imagine it sharing striking similarities to the Specs Milotic I used to use, only it has an even higher base Special Attack.

I've been using this set since two days ago. It has worked brilliantly. It OHKOes Lucario, which normal Vaporeon cannot, so while they SD up in my face, I can surf them to death. It also 2HKOes Togekiss with Surf. (IIRC it did ~54% to a Nasty Plot version.)

Basically, I'm all for putting this set in the analysis. I will continue to test with it further; I haven't used it enough yet to determine whether Hydro Pump or Wish is more useful. Currently, I have Wish, but I haven't used it yet, so I'm considering Hydro Pump.

I also support Baton Pass. Hydro Pump probaly should be an option next to Surf. Mention how Vaporeon is the water with the highest SpAtk.

Well actually Vaporeon only has 110 Special Attack Wayff, so thats not the highest. Empoleon, Gorebyss, Omastar, and Clamperl all have more, but I suppose I could say its in the top 5 for most special attack for a water pokemon.

Yeah, Baton Pass should get a mention. I just spent 10 minutes trying to think of a reason why it wouldn't work but really it should allow you to get out from things that could really hurt you and you can scout as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)