DP Lucario

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/lucario

Note that I don't take credit for creating this set (it's existed for awhile now). I'm not entirely sure who did, though.

[SET]
name: All-out sweeper
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Extremespeed
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Crunch / Bullet Punch / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Of all the sets Lucario can run, this is perhaps the one with the most destructive potential. The power this set wields is frightening - after a single boost, many walls that don't resist Fighting can be defeated in one blow with a little help from Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes. For example: </p>

<h2>Damage Calculations</h2>

<pre>Close Combat vs Max HP/Def Skarmory 85.03% - 100.30%
Close Combat vs Max HP/Def Bronzong: 96.15% - 113.02%
Close Combat vs Max HP/Def Hippowdon: 76.43% - 90.00%
Close Combat vs Max HP/Def Forretress: 80.23% - 94.63%
Close Combat vs Max HP/Def Donphan: 82.81% - 97.40%</pre>

<p>Extremespeed decimates powerful-but-frail sweepers like Azelf, Infernape, and Dugtrio, finishing them in one hit before they can touch you. Crunch destroys Dusknoir and heavily damages Cresselia (possibly delivering a OHKO depending on how defensive she is). Bullet Punch might seem redundant when combined with another priority move, but it allows you to hit several threats like Gengar, Mismagius, and Aerodactyl, dealing near-KO damage to the two ghosts (which will always be fatal when combined with Stealth Rock unless they're running more than 4 HP) and easily beating the prehistoric bird. Stone Edge gives you a weapon against fliers and scores a crucial OHKO on Bulky Gyarados.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Surprisingly, there aren't many other useful options. Lucario can Calm Mind for one, but the Choice Specs set hits harder faster. Choice Scarf Lucario with Me First is a nice idea, attacking the enemy Pokémon with the same move with its base power multiplied by 1.5. You can use Life Orb Lucario for a mixed set or if you utterly despise predicting, but focusing on one stat usually lets you hit harder. You can use Hi Jump Kick instead of Close Combat if you hate Close Combat's 8 PP and its lowering of your defenses. For Specs Lucario, you can use Psychic to hit Heracross, who otherwise resists all of Lucario's moves except for Shadow Ball. Flash Cannon is a decent option to hits things neutrally, but Steel as a rule has poor type coverage. Hidden Power Ice is an option on the physical sets to get rid of Gliscor.</p>

[EVs]
<p>In general, maxing speed and whichever attacking stat you're using is the best option. A slightly bulkier set for the All-out sweeper is 252 HP / 96 Def / 136 SpD / 24 Spe with Adamant nature and Leftovers, which makes better use of Lucario's numerous resistances and gives you some extra durability when setting up.</p>

<p>Most of the sets can run Jolly or Timid to get 306 Speed, outspeeding threats like Salamence and Electivire who outspeed you otherwise. However, Modest is required on the Specs set to 2HKO Blissey.</p>

Good? Does it need anything?

Bullet Punch is also an extremely good option over crunch as it allows you do hit Gengar, who otherwise can outrun and 1hko you with focus blast.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Maaan, I wanted to take this edit :(

Anyway, Bullet Punch is a viable option for Gengar, Mismagius and Aerodactyl, all of whom have the potential to KO a Life Orb weakened Luke.

Stone Edge is also an option, as Salamence, Gyarados and Zapdos all give you trouble.

HP Ice is a bit gimmicky, but Gliscor is the one Pokemon that does completely wall you otherwise. I believe even while Adamant, Luke has a decent chance at OHKOing with Stealth Rock in play, but I'm not sure about that.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
It seems odd to post that set considering it is identical to the Bulky Dancer in moves and execution. The only difference is the EV's and item. Speaking of EV's, what purpose does 279 speed serve? Chances are that the opponent will be much slower than that, and if not you'll be going second or using ExtremeSpeed.

Which Pokemon lurks between 244 and 279 that begs to be hit with CloseCombat/Crunch and warrants all those Speed EV's? Jolly Breloom? Maybe Magmortar?

Capital "S" needed on Spikes is all I saw.
Thanks, fixed that.

Maaan, I wanted to take this edit :(
I'm actually kinda surprised you didn't already, which was part of why I went ahead and did it.

Anyway, Bullet Punch is a viable option for Gengar, Mismagius and Aerodactyl, all of whom have the potential to KO a Life Orb weakened Luke.

Stone Edge is also an option, as Salamence, Gyarados and Zapdos all give you trouble.

HP Ice is a bit gimmicky, but Gliscor is the one Pokemon that does completely wall you otherwise. I believe even while Adamant, Luke has a decent chance at OHKOing with Stealth Rock in play, but I'm not sure about that.
Alright, added both Bullet Punch and Stone Edge. I'm really not sure if HP Ice is worth mentioning as a standard option on the set. If anything, I'd add it to other options saying something like "HP Ice can be used on the physical sets as well if you want to stop Gliscor", or something along those lines.

It seems odd to post that set considering it is identical to the Bulky Dancer in moves and execution.
Despite having the same moves as the Bulky Dancer this set ends up being somewhat different. The Bulky Dancer is designed to be able to switch in multiple times and take a hit while setting up, while this set is a one-shot late game clearer. To be honest I'm not sure if the Bulky Dancer is really all that useful - I tried it a few times and it generally didn't work as well as this set.

The only difference is the EV's and item. Speaking of EV's, what purpose does 279 speed serve? Chances are that the opponent will be much slower than that, and if not you'll be going second or using ExtremeSpeed.

Which Pokemon lurks between 244 and 279 that begs to be hit with CloseCombat/Crunch and warrants all those Speed EV's? Jolly Breloom? Maybe Magmortar?
Tying with other Lucarios is somewhat important as you won't be OHKOing them with Extremespeed. Aldaron actually mentioned the issue of this on his RMT:

Aldaron said:
Now here is where the real ev issues come into play. Should I have 252 speed evs solely because of the fear of max speed jolly specs heatran? That is a pretty big fear, but I do have my own Heatran, Gengar and Hitmontop for that, assuming the main counter, Swampert, is down. Or should I pour 252 into defense. Why? Look at the calculations. A swords dance extreme speed brings me to 39%-46% damage to Gliscor, and a Close Combat following that gives me 43%-51%. That means, with leftovers, I am leaving with a maximum of 30% HP, not factoring in previous damage or stealth rocks, both of which are highly likely. With 252 defense for Lucario and 0 atk for Gliscor, Gliscor is doing 75% to 88% maximum with earthquake, meaning I will definitely get off the second attack, and possibly the third. Take into account that stealth rocks are going to be down and that residual damage has occurred, and Gliscor isn’t a problem anymore. Also, with 252 defensive evs, He can take an earthquake from non adamant max attack Tyranitar or Metagross, and deal the following ohko with close combat.

Of course, this is all at the expense of sacrificing 279 speed down to 216 speed. What do I need that speed for? Well, outspeed banded or spec’d Heracrosses and Heatrans, normal Tyranitars and Metagrosses. Now, with the defense, I can still take out Tyranitar and Metagross, and Hera with extremespeed anyway. I don’t see the speed being such an issue, but putting the evs into defense seems like such a narrowly used choice.

I could, of course, put all 252 in HP, and for example, against Starmie, and hope for a successful 2 swords dance raise to sweep.
As far as speed tiers go, Jolly TTar is obviously a must, and Modest Heatran is pretty important as well. Interestingly enough, Hasty/Timid Heatran's max is 278 while Adamant Lucario's max is 279. That combined with the speed tie factor against other Lucarios leads me to believe that max speed is generally the best option, most likely with a note in the EV section about why max speed is important but noting that running some additional defense is an option since you just barely survive a Gliscor EQ.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Ok, max speed sounds good to me then. There's not really much reason to invest in his defences when you're killing yourself with Life Orb.

The last slot should be optional and catered to which of his counters you'd like to beat.

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I've been using this set with an Agilipasser with a lot of success.

Lucario (♂) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 146 Atk/112 Spd/252 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse
- Vacuum Wave/Psychic/Blaze Kick

I don't have the calculations on hand, but the Speed EVs are to outspeed Adamant Choice Scarf Garchomp after an Agility. As for the choice of moves, Close Combat is your main attack, while HP Ice OHKOs the incoming Gliscor thinking it'll ruin your fun. Shadow Ball or Dark Pulse destroy the Psychics thinking they'll wall CC. The last move is for whatever you think you need. Vacuum Wave lets you take out other Lucario before they kill you. Psychic and Blaze Kick will let you deal with Heracross a bit better, and the latter takes quite a chunk out of Forretress. If you don't have access to an Agilipasser, Agility could work on the last slot.

I've been looking for a suitable Agility Lucario set lately.

This is what I have so far (Taking ideas from WER's post) THIS IS ALL THEORYMON FOR NOW

Lucario @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 146 Atk/252 SAtk/112 Speed
Nature: Naughty (+Atk, -SDef)
-Aura Sphere
-Agility
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Crunch / Shadow Claw

(Okay WER I copied most of your spread but it proved very effective for me, for Crunch with Life Orb, the attack EV's, and nature 2HKO's Dusknoir.)

The basic gist of this set is to lead the team, or come in on a passive wall like Cresselia or Blissey (beware Thunder Wave, however). Proceed to Agility, reaching 456 Speed to outpace Adamant ScarfChomp. From there, you can sweep rather easily.

Your main attack will be Aura Sphere, as it has the sheer power to sweep damn near everything that doesn't resist it. Hidden Power Ice gets the jump on Gliscor and Garchomp (you're faster than both, remember). The last move is for your mixed sweeping capabilities. With Life Orb, Crunch can 2HKO standard Dusknoir (stay away from Will-o-Wisp). Shadow Claw, however, may prove to be the better option due to its high critical hit ratio that can help bypass a burn.

Lum Berry is recommended to block Thunder Waves that could ruin your sweep, as well as an untimely burn.

Er.... what? Aura Sphere has the Power to sweep nearly Everything? I think you're crazy is all. Go with Close Combat feeds off your higer attacking stat and lets you take out Blissey in one hit. Crunh with that EV spread is ALSO a definite 2HKO on Cresselia with SR.Also Lum Berry on this Lucario is making me Laugh.It need the extra power from an Expert Belt/Life Orb for a definite @HKO on Dusknoir with Crunch so the set should be:-

Lucario @ Life Orb
146 Atk/252 Sp.Atk/112 Spd
Naughty
-Close Combat
-HP:Ice
-Agility
-Crunch

Another suggestion would be leeching some EVs from Sp.Atk(as HP:Ice is its only Sp.move) to Spd,just enough to outstrip Modest Scarf-Gar.Note:NEVER remove attack EVs from this or you lose the 2HKO on Dusknoir and the 2HKO with SR down on Cresselia

perhaps encapsulate the damage calcs in <pre> tags?

good job
Are there any existing analyses that use pre tags? According to the primer it's "preformatted text, all line breaks and whitespace are literal", and I don't want to use that without seeing what it looks like first (since I'm not site staff I don't have any way to preview it, as far as I know anyways). Thanks btw.

Ok, max speed sounds good to me then. There's not really much reason to invest in his defences when you're killing yourself with Life Orb.

The last slot should be optional and catered to which of his counters you'd like to beat.
Alright, that's what I've got now.

In the Damage Calculations, Hippowdon is misspelled. Other than that, it seems fine
Fixed it, thanks.

WER, the general rule is if you're suggesting a completely different set to make it in a different topic, this is just for the all-out attacker set and any directly related changes.

you do not need to use <p> tags with preformatting. so, just remove the <p> tags and the corresponding closing tags, while keeping the line breaks separating each set of <p> tags intact.

that, and i had a few questions regarding the set's survivability against choice band heracross

Okay, does that look good?

What did you want to know about Hera? 4 HP Hera has about a 60% chance of being OHKO'd by SD Extremespeed. 104 hp Hera will most likely survive unless SR/Spikes are up (in which case it's most likely going down), and only has about a 15% chance of surviving Close Combat since unless Hera is Jolly (Or Scarfed, but Scarf versions will be running max speed), Lucario is going to be faster.

Without a doubt, this is the most deadly Lucario set. If you get a Swords Dance off and you're opponent doesn't have Gliscor or Spirtomb, it will almost always be GG from there.

Perhaps add Hp Ice as an option for the fourth slot, to take out gliscor if Lucario has a naughty/lonely nature.

I definitely agree with HP Ice; people are so keen to switch in Gliscor on Fighting types in general, they'll rarely see it coming. I've used a Lucario with HP Ice for a long time with magnificent success.

I would replace the current "Bulky Dancer" set with this one, and put a note about using bulkier EVs in the appropriate section.

If you're putting damage calculations in, put a few sample ones for which faster Pokemon will die to Extremespeed/Bullet Punch (Azelf, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Infernape? etc.)

Some Skarfers can bring it trouble; Flygon and garchomp survive one Extremespeed and can revengekill with STABbed earthquake

Extremespeed vs 0Hp/Def Flygon: Damage: 81.06% - 95.35%
Extremespeed vs 0Hp/Def Garchomp: Damage: 59.38% - 69.75%

this is including the Swords dance and life orb boost. Flygon can get killed by stealth rock, but it's not really reliable.

Skarf heatran can actually switch in on anything not called close combat and OHKO back.

I also did the calculations for Gengar, Aerodactyl and Mismagius:
Bullet Punch vs 0Hp/Def Gengar: Damage: 88.51% - 104.21%
Bullet Punch vs 0Hp/Def Aerodactyl: Damage: 144.52% - 169.77%
Bullet Punch vs 0Hp/Def Mismagius: Damage: 88.51% - 104.21%

EDIT: also, Staraptor can revengekill because of intimidate:
Extremespeed vs 0Hp/Def Staraptor: Damage: 65.59% - 77.17%

Stealth rock has a small chance of still finishing it off, though

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yea, I'm not quite sure how you did those calculations.

Assuming 1 Swords Dance, Life Orb and Adamant (which is the proper nature):

Extremespeeed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Flygon = 88.647-104.169%
Extremespeed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp = 64.896- 76.258%

But for the common KO's that you are looking for, I'll organize it in terms of moves.

Extremespeed (With 1 Swords Dance, Life Orb and Adamant again):

4 HP / 0 Def Azelf- 101.92- 119.756%

4 HP / 0 Def Infernape- 100.087- 117.624%

4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam- 164.619-193.453%

4 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio- 181.077- 212.784%

4 HP / 0 Def Kingdra- 79.56- 93.496%

252 HP / 0 Def Starmie- 78.533- 92.287%

252 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo- 81.757- 96.07%

4 HP / 0 Def Heracross- 93.041- 109.343%

4 HP / 0 Def Staraptor (with Intimidate)- 71.63- 84.162%

4 HP / 0 Def Crobat- 85.813- 100.828%

252 HP / 80 Def Bold Zapdos (if it has 280 speed)- 55.029- 64.662%

Bulletpunch:

4 HP / 0 Def Gengar- 88.86- 113.126%

4 HP / 0 Def Mismagius- 88.86- 113.126%

4 HP / 0 Def Aerodactyl- 156.78- 184.236%

Crunch:

252 HP / 252 Def Bold Cresselia- 63.791- 74.958%

252 HP / 252 Def Bold Dusknoir- 88.803- 104.351%

252 HP / 252 Defense Bold Celebi- 79.417- 93.314%

252 HP / 252 Bold Spiritomb- 48.763- 57.304%

Stone Edge:

212 HP / 180 Def Gyarados (With Intimidate)- 107.172- 125.944%

252 HP / 252 Def Bold Zapdos- 115.817- 136.097%

120 HP / 0 Def Salamence (Intimidate)- 139.126- 163.488%

Hidden Power Ice
:

252 HP / 40 SpD Gliscor- 96.252- 113.113% (If Luke is Adamant and has 239 SpA)

I've seen this one everywhere lately. It really is a scary set. It's obviously not an autosweep (there's no such thing) but it's really really powerful.

252 HP / 252 Bold Spiritomb- 48.763- 57.304%
It's all about those leftovers :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)