DP Jirachi

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There surprisingly is no Paralysis set mentioned for Jirachi. However, since the main set lists the typical Wish, U-turn, Zen Headbutt set, it might be a little redundant to post a set using those options. I believe that is the standard Jirachi, but I don't use it too often and I don't really feel its necessary to include it.

However, I do use another neat little Jirachi, one that takes advantage of Thunderbolt and Ice Punch to deal with issues like Gyarados and Garchomp, while also supporting the team with Paralysis and U-turn passing / scouting.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/jirachi

[SET]
name: Body Slammin' Counter
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Leftovers
nature: Quiet
evs: 88 HP / 164 Atk / 160 Def / 96 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advantage of various characteristics to both support the team, via spreading Paralysis and scouting with U-turn, and counter specific threats. Serene Grace makes Body Slam's Paralysis rate 60%, meaning even if the opposition switches in a troublesome Pokemon, there is a 60% chance that Jirachi will Paralyze it and U-turn to a respective counter. This better than average chance of crippling the opposition's method of dealing with Jirachi is extraordinarily advantageous, especially considering common Jirachi switch ins are Heatran, Garchomp and Tyranitar, none of which appreciate being paralyzed.</p>

<p>The EVs are very specific. 277 Attack allows Jirachi to beat Garchomp 1 on 1, assuming Garchomp isn't boosted. Body Slam will (preferably on the switch so Jirachi doesn't take any damage) paralyze Garchomp, and Jirachi will then use Ice Punch to faint Garchomp on average. Additionally, the 363 HP and 276 Defense take into account Yache versions of Garchomp, as an Adamant Yache Berry Garchomp's Earthquake will now never OHKO Jirachi. 277 Attack and 286 Special Attack allow Jirachi to OHKO 384 HP / 239 Def / 236 SpD Gyarados on average with Body Slam + Thunderbolt. Note that both these on average calculations become 100% kills simply if Stealth Rock is in play.</p>

<p>Essentially, Jirachi will always Body Slam on turn 1, preferably paralyzing the opposition's counter. Turn 2 generally involves using U-turn to switch to a proper method of dealing with the now paralyzed counter. After this is when Jirachi's potential becomes especially interesting. Once the opponent's counter is paralyzed (and preferably dealt with), there is a high probably he will take high risk / high reward chances, like switching in Garchomp, Gyarados, Lucario or Salamence. This is when Jirachi will truly shine, as even if it fails to paralyze on turn 1, it has the defenses to survive most attacks and Body Slam again. Body Slam has an 84% chance of Paralyzing once in two turns, so Jirachi will almost always have the advantage against those offensive Pokemon.</p>

Body Slam will (preferably on the switch so Jirachi doesn't take any damage) paralyze Garchomp, and Jirachi will then use Ice Punch to faint Garchomp on average.
This sounds slightly awkward. I would change 'on average' to 'most of the time'. This sentence also sounds as if it always will paralyse, maybe fit a 'hopefully' or something similar in there.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I like this set. :heart: I've used almost the exact same set except with Zen Headbutt over Thunderbolt and slightly different EVs. It to work quite well!!!

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set takes advantage of various characteristics to both support the team, via spreading Paralysis and scouting with U-turn, and counter specific threats. Serene Grace boosts Body Slam's Paralysis rate to 60%, meaning even if the opposition switches in a troublesome Pokemon, and combining it with U-turn allows you to effectively 'counter' the opposing Pokemon without taking any damage. This above average chance of crippling the opposition's method of dealing with Jirachi is extraordinarily advantageous, especially considering common Jirachi switch-ins are Heatran, Garchomp and Tyranitar, none of which appreciate being paralyzed.</p>
Boosts and 'above average' simply sounded better so why not?

Removed "there is a 60% chance that Jirachi will Paralyze it" as its redundant. Even worse than just plain redundancy is redundancy in the same sentence! Since I removed that, I had to rephrase the sentence to make it fit (i.e. it was the first one that came into mind so it isn't the best).

<p>The EVs are very specific. 277 Attack allows Jirachi to beat Garchomp 1 on 1, assuming Garchomp's Attack isn't boosted. Body Slam will (preferably on the switch so Jirachi doesn't take any damage) paralyze Garchomp, and Jirachi will then use Ice Punch to hopefully KO Garchomp. Additionally, the 363 HP and 276 Defense take into account Yache versions of Garchomp, as an Adamant Yache Berry Garchomp's Earthquake will now never OHKO Jirachi. 277 Attack and 286 Special Attack allow Jirachi to OHKO 384 HP / 239 Def / 236 SpD Gyarados on average with Body Slam and Thunderbolt. Note that both these on average calculations become 100% kills simply if Stealth Rock is in play.</p>
without 'Attack', the boost sentence is too vague.

'faint' is a verb, so it naturally doesn't go there. I also found 'on average' to be too awkward in that sentence and added 'hopefully' instead.

Rest looks fine!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definately seems like a very good set. I'd still mention Wish could work well even in a set like this since the Paraflinching combo especially helps Wish (since the opponnent will have a slight chance of attacking if he's paralyzed and you used Zen Headbutt). Another thing to possibly consider perhaps: Thunder. Despite the accuracy it can easily be used in tandem in Rain Dance teams but still offers a 60% chance of paralysis against Gengar and Mismagius.

Definately like this set otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)