move 1: Super Fang
move 2: Thunder Wave/Yawn/Swagger
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Amnesia/Taunt
item: Leftovers

nature: Impish/Jolly
evs: 216 HP / 40 Atk / 252 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Bibarel was not one to be blessed with good offensive stats, but Bibarel has one saving grace in Super Fang, which allows him to bypass his pathetic offenses. Whittle down the opponent with Super Fang and finish them off with Waterfall. Thunder Wave and Yawn can help to get in a Super Fang and provide support for your team. Swagger is an interesting choice if Unaware is your ability, as it confuses the opponent while ignoring the +2 Attack boost when the opponent tries to attack Bibarel, however, unlucky opponents who attack themselves will still do that off of +2 Attack, allowing Bibarel to chip them down easier. If you have Simple, then the best idea is to go with Amnesia, which will boost Bibarel's Special Defense by a massive 4 stages because of the doubling boost.</p>

<p>If you have Unaware, then Taunt is a much better option as it can allow the beaver to break some walls by nulling recovery or set-up with Taunt, thus giving him the freedom to chip away health with Super Fang while the opponent is forced to attack. Decent speed investment is recommended if you use Taunt though. Reaching about 227 Speed is a good idea since then you can Taunt Bulky Gyarados and a no Speed EV Gliscor before they can set up. 232 HP/80 Def/80 SpD with a Jolly nature as an alternate EV spread will still allow for relative bulkiness, while getting you up to 227 Speed.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Return
move 2: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
move 3: Superpower / Focus Punch
move 4: Quick Attack
item: Choice Band

ability: Unaware
nature: Adamant
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Bibarel's Attack is on the mediocre side, so slapping a Choice Band on him helps beef up his power. Water and Normal is a good attacking combination, especially with STAB powering them up. Waterfall is the preferred option for Water STAB as it's more accurate and may land a flinch, but for those who fear nothing, go with Aqua Tail for the power boost. Focus Punch or Superpower are mainly for Empoleon, who resists Bibarel's STAB moves. If you're the kind of player that enjoys prediction, then go with Focus Punch, but if you're more cautious, then go with Superpower. Quick Attack helps against Reversal/Flail Pokémon, and may help in a pinch for a revenge-kill against a frail sweeper. Unaware is the preferred ability as it will allow Bibarel to hit through any Defense boosts the opponent may have such as Bulk Up.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Return
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Endure/Substitute
item: Liechi Berry

ability: Simple
nature: Adamant
evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Try to paralyze as much of your opponents team as possible with Thunder Wave. When Bibarel is close to death, Endure the hit to receive an Attack boost from Liechi Berry, which will be doubled from +1 to +2 thanks to Simple. Substitute works in place of Endure if you want to protect Bibarel from dangerous status, but as Substitute doesn't get priority like Endure, you'll have to watch out for priority moves, especially in UU, where they're used a lot more.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Charge Beam
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Surf
move 4: Grass Knot / Super Fang
item: Leftovers / Expert Belt / Life Orb

ability: Simple
nature: Modest
evs: 6 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Bibarel has an awful Special Attack stat, but if you can grab a boost from Charge Beam, it will reach a total of 458 as Simple will double the boost. Surf and Ice Beam provide type coverage for sweeping, while Grass Knot helps against Water/Ground-types—especially Quagsire. If you plan to use Bibarel in OU, then Super Fang is a much better option as it allows you to get around Blissey so that she will not ruin your sweep, slicing 50% of her remaining health per hit. Expert Belt and Life Orb provide extra power and mean you're not entirely reliant on Charge Beam boosts.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Pluck is usable on the Choice Band set to OHKO Breloom and Heracross, but is inferior to Quick Attack if you plan to use Bibarel in UU. Defense Curl is an option on the Bulky Beaver set, however, it is inferior to Amnesia, and is not recommended. Stealth Rock is also an option on the Bulky Beaver set, however, there are much better users of the move. If you're in an environment where evasion moves are allowed, then Double Team is a great option as Simple can double its boost. </p>

[EVs]

<p>The Bulky Beaver set should have lots of HP. 216 hits 353 for maximum Leftovers recovery +1, which allows 1 extra chance to come in on Stealth Rock at 12%. Go with an Impish nature and max Defense with the leftover EVs in Attack to let Bibarel take physical hits as well as special hits with Amnesia beefing up Special Defense. If you're using Taunt instead of Amnesia, then go with 232 HP/80 Def/80 SpD/116 Spe with a Jolly nature since those are its best possible defenses while having 227 Speed for reasons mentioned in the set.</p>

<p>Adamant nature with max Attack and Speed for the Choice Band and Physical Attacker sets work just fine as Bibarel's max Speed with a neutral nature lets him outspeed +Speed nature base 60s, and is not going to be outspeeding anything significant with a Jolly Nature.</p>

<p>Modest nature, max Special Attack and Speed for the Special Attacker for the same reasons as the physical attacker, except different attacking stats.</p>

[Opinion]

<p>Bibarel's low stats are disappointing, and must be taken into account when considering him for your team, but this does not means that he cannot be used with great success. The nifty little rodent is usable in all tiers, but OU essentially requires him to use Super Fang, or to get outclassed. UU allows for more freedom, as the non-Super Fang sets can pack more of a dangerous punch in that tier, though Super Fang is still recommended even there. Super Fang is an amazing move that was truly a present from the sky as a reward for all of Bibarel's hard work as the busiest beaver in today's working world.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Most Electric-types work well. Lanturn does a good job here as his high HP helps to take Returns so he can bring down Bibarel with a Thunderbolt. Lanturn does hate Super Fang though, as he has no reliable recovery.</p>

<p>Grass-types with in any tier are going to mess up Bibarel quite badly. However, if they rely on Grass Knot as their STAB, they will still have to watch out for the Bulky Beaver if Amnesia's present, as Grass Knot is only 60 base power against Bibarel, and will do very little once he has an Amnesia up. Again, they must still watch out for Super Fang, as most of them don't have good recovery moves, or have none at all.</p>

<p>Pokemon with the ability Intimidate are 100% counters to the Physical Attacker set, because the Attack drop is also doubled by Simple.</p>

<p>Ghost-types are by far the best switch-in, as they're immune to Super Fang, meaning the most that Bibarel can do is status them. Bibarel is in a lot of trouble if it faces Rotom, as a STAB Thunderbolt is most likely the end for Bibarel. Gengar does the same in OU, except without STAB obviously.</p>
Alright, so I thought I might as well try my hand at peer editing, and this is my first one ever, so I'm officially a newbie writer. :]

- Ok, so basically, what I did, was I cleared up a lot of the /itis, fixed up the EVs on the Super Fang set (now called Bulky Beaver), and I added Tauntarel. In case you're wondering why I changed the original Super Fang set name, I did it because I added Tauntarel in the peer edit, and I wanted them to look like different variations of Super Fang sets.

- The only set I didn't touch at all was the "Physical Attacker" set.

- I put more explanation in the CB set, because newer players are generally the ones reading these analyses, so I felt that the choices needed some more explanation.

- I took off Superpower in the special attacking set, because it doesn't have any chance at 2HKOing Blissey, which is what it was there for, and Superpower is suicide when Simple is Bibarel's ability, since it makes the defense drop -2 as opposed to the normal -1. I put Super Fang there instead since it seemed like the best alternative to Grass Knot, and it's a much better option if anyone reading the analysis wants to try out Bibarel in OU.

- I fixed the EVs in the Bulky Beaver set a bit. I saw Mekkah's reasoning for EVs as leftovers no. +1, so I did that, taking 4 EVs from attack and putting them in there. Also note that I took off Stealth Rock from this set, since it was an absurd option. I put it in the Other Options section. I also took off Defense Curl, because it's just so obviously inferior to Amnesia that there's no point in it being there. I put that in Other Options as well. I also added some new information about Swagger. (Unaware keeping the opponent's attack boosts the same when they hit themselves, but doesn't count when they hit Bibarel). Hopefully that makes it more of an option now.

- I basically compressed my explanation about Tauntarel and kept it to 1 paragraph, since I didn't want to go overboard.

- I put Double Team as an other option if the person reading it is playing with no evasion clause in some tournament or something. I can remove it if you guys want, but I put it there just in case since it's one of Bibarel's few boosting moves.

- I added more explanation about the EVs for this edit, because I'm not sure, but they looked like they were quite rushed. I made it much easier for a newer player to understand.

- I honestly completely revamped the opinion. I personally feel that the thing has potential, and the original author may not have, and I respect whoever did though. I basically made look a lot more inviting to use, and gave advice on ways for it to not get outclassed in OU, and for it to whoop things in UU. The opinion is the most important part of the analysis IMO, and if the opinion is so negative toward the pokemon, people are very unlikely to use it, so I wanted to change that. No offense to whoever wrote it though.

- I fixed up the counters section as well. Saying that "anything with a modicum of defense can take it down" seems to be really contradictory to Super Fang. I made it clear that nothing likes switching into Super Fang, especially in UU, where most of the walls don't have very good recovery, and that Ghosts are evidently the best counter. Rotom is the #1 counter for Bibarel.

Alright, so tell me what you think! I hope I did good, and if not, my excuse is that it was my first day. :P

I'll give this an edit on the SCMS once this gets enough replies and editing.

EDIT: Went with Phquoph's suggestions. I merged Taunt/Bulky into one set, but I went and made it 2 separate paragraphs to make it look a lot more clear. I put Substitute as an option on the "Physical Attacker" set. I put the sets in better order as well. Hope that helped.

a choice scarf option isn't too bad since 85 attack is fine in UU (its swellows base attack while swellow has guts on his side bibarel argubly can say it has better stab as well has not being stopped by steels or rock thanks to water stab and access to fighting moves) has with max speed jolly beats just about everything in UU that isn't scarfed or named electrode (71 base hits 265 max with +nature)

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
For the set you made (Tauntarel), I would suggest explaining how Swagger works with Unaware (that if they hit themselves they have +2 attack, but have +0 attack if they hit you). That idea was unclear to me at first, and probalby will be for the reader as well. I understand that you don't want to have a huge explaination but I fell that is vital.

Good job overall. It seems like the Bulky Beaver and Tauntarel could be combined though, since they are pretty much the same set.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
For the set you made (Tauntarel), I would suggest explaining how Swagger works with Unaware (that if they hit themselves they have +2 attack, but have +0 attack if they hit you). That idea was unclear to me at first, and probalby will be for the reader as well. I understand that you don't want to have a huge explaination but I fell that is vital.

Good job overall. It seems like the Bulky Beaver and Tauntarel could be combined though, since they are pretty much the same set.
I believe that I explained the Swagger thing in the Bulky Beaver set.

Tauntarel and Bulky Beaver are quite different because of EVs, and the fact that one of them doesn't have a defense boosting move, making one of them noticably more bulkier than the other.

Thanks for the good word though. :]

Hmm, AJC, I could put a Scarf set, but if I do, there's no way it can be Jolly, because it's going to be really weak, even for UU.

I'm going to need more feedback on a Scarf set, because I'm not sure it'd work too well. That's just my opinion though.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh I missed that.

On another note, I really don't think a Scarf set is viable. I don't have too much UU experience, but in my mind Bibarel really needs to be abusing his abilities or Super Fang to get his best use, because his overall stats are pretty low. Plus it does get Quick Attack for the jump on some things he would like to outspeed with the Scarf. Even though it has great coverage, it really needs the power that comes with a CB.

Combine the Taunt and Bulky sets. They're not significantly different enough to warrant two sets. List the last move as Amnesia / Taunt and explain the merits of both. Specifics of the EV spreads can go in set comments, general EV guidelines go in the EVs section.

The Physical Attacker works much better with Sub over Endure, since you're not as wide open to being killed off by priority moves or crippled with status.

Switch the sets around so the most effective is listed first. So, it should go Super Fang/Bulky set, Choice Band, Sub / Liechi, Special Attacker.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Combine the Taunt and Bulky sets. They're not significantly different enough to warrant two sets. List the last move as Amnesia / Taunt and explain the merits of both. Specifics of the EV spreads can go in set comments, general EV guidelines go in the EVs section.

The Physical Attacker works much better with Sub over Endure, since you're not as wide open to being killed off by priority moves or crippled with status.

Switch the sets around so the most effective is listed first. So, it should go Super Fang/Bulky set, Choice Band, Sub / Liechi, Special Attacker.
Done. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT: Alright, I looked over it, changed a few typos, and fixed up some set comments to make them more clear. Anything else I need to fix?

Say, although Bibarel's stats are poor compared to most OU Pokémon, even in spite of its 2 unique abilities (Simple and Unaware), has anyone honestly ever considered the possibility of Baton Passing some stat boosts to it? Check out these videos from YouTube member Sezerox if anyone needs an example of how awesome a Bibarel can be in a Single Battle when its Simple ability augments the stat boosts that were Baton Passed to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XdDYThihkk&feature=PlayList&p=8A91DD8FF2BD269F&index=16 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q74y1vbkVo&feature=PlayList&p=8A91DD8FF2BD269F&index=20

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
I generally don't like making sets where they completely rely on another pokemon for it to work.

Bologo

is a Contributor Alumnus
Fine, I don't like making sets that require stat boosts to be passed to them. -.- I dunno, it seems like it's an okay idea, but the problem I see is that basically if the Baton Passer dies, Bibarel would be dead weight.

If you want me to include a Simple-abuse Baton Pass Recepient set, though, then I will.

Whoa. I never suggested the addition of sets that required Bibarel to have stat boosts to be passed to it. What I really meant was to add a mention that its stats could be passed to it (and augmented thanks to the Simple ability) by another Pokémon in the "other options" section and/or noting Bibarel's 2 unique abilities and how they could be exploited in the "opinion" section.

The problem with passing Simple to Bibarel is this: Let's say you have a swords dance and a Salac Berry ready to pass. Wouldn't it be more efficient to pass it to say, Garchomp, Salamence, or Medicham?
What's the point of 2X becoming 3X and 1.5X becoming 2X if there's another pokemon who will still get a stronger boost, and enough speed to sweep?

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
In the 'Other options', there should be recommendation or mention for a stat boosting tank Bibaral. Bibaral with Charge Beam and Amnesia is amazing tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)