ORAS OU Double DD (Offense --> 1,550 on the Ladder)

Hey guys!
This is my first RMT for OU. Had a nice one in NU not long ago, so I decided to invest some time and build a solid team for the Overused Tier. It's a slightly bulky Offense, but you could also call it HO. The team is centered around two Dragon Dancers in 3 Attack Charizard X and Sub Gyarados.
142.gif 646-black.gif 006-mega-x.gif 130.gif 065.gif 625.gif
The first member to look at on this team is therefore Charizard X. Easily one of the best Megas with such a perfect defensive typing and Tough Claws boosted Attacks, it is a threat to almost every play style. It's purpose is to obviously set up a DD and sweep or get rid of the biggest threats of opposing teams. The EV spread is chosen to not get walled by Chansey or Sableye, which are always 2HKOed by Dragon Claw. The Speed EVs ensure that you outspeed Base 85 252+ Speed Mons like Mega-Pinsir, Heracross or Nidoking, all of which are threats to Charizard. If you choose to run my 3 Attack set, you obviously lack recovery, but with EQ you 1. can catch Electric Types like Manectric or Raikou on switch-in and surprise your opponent and 2. you are not that dependent on Flare Blitz, which means, that you lose less HP and therefore need less recovery. You can always switch Roost in for EQ, but I encourage you to try the recovery-less Zard X.
006-mega-x.gif

The second Dragon Dancer is Gyarados. Here again, EQ is preferred over Ice Fang or Bounce, because Pokemon like Landorus-T or Mega-Venusaur can easily be checked by other team members (Kyurem and Alakazam). Jolly nature is preferred, because Gyara itself is pretty slow for a sweeper, so you should put everything you can in speed. The Sub is pretty important, as it is basically the team's only opportunity to dodge status moves. Furthermore, you are not checked by Rotom-W anymore, because they mostly run Volt Switch and by hitting your Sub not do enough damage to threaten Gyarados, while it can further set up after the Switch. Nevertheless, Gyaras time to shine comes, when Electric and Rock attacks are gone and it can setuo sweep. The best opportunity is often on bulky Water types, such as Quag or Vaporeon, that only run Scald, because they cannot get rid of the Sub.
130.gif

In opposite to the first members, whose full power can rather be utilized at the end of the game, the next member is actually a suicide lead in 90% of the cases. The only times, it doesn't serve as that is if you play against Magic Bounce or when you want it to be a backup check to Talonflame besides Gyara. Aerodactyl (normal form) here runs SR-Defog-Taunt-Stone Edge. It is so fast with 394 Speed that it prevents all other Stealth Rockers from setting them up by using Taunt, then sets up its own Rocks, lives a hit with the Sash and can dish out one hit with Stone Edge (very important against lead Balloon Heatran, which is all to common right now). It also can be switched out and saved for later Defog, Taunt or Bird-checking. Running investment in HP proved to be of no use. Aero is so fragile that even the full HP investment is basically worthless.
142.gif

As we talked about checking Lando-T before, this role comes to Scarf Kyurem-B. Kyurem, besides Zard before Mega-evolving and Gyara, is the third member on the team that is heavily damaged by SRs. So, always keep the hazard control in the game. Kyurem is EVed to check every normal Speed Tier (it outspeeds Mega Alakazam) and, most of the time, switches in - predicts - and hits very hard. Draco and Ice Beam are for STAB, Earth Power for most grounded Pokemons, Fusion Bolt helps checking Birds.
646-black.gif

The Swiss Army Knife of the team is Sash Alakazam. It 2HKOs Sableye with Dazzling Gleam, kills bulky Water types like Pert, Azu, or Quag with Energy Ball. Focus Blast is a very important move, as you find yourself often faced by Steel Types and Psyshock helps not getting walled by special walls. Especially against Stall teams and alike, Alakazam shines in this team and puts it on its back.
065.gif

The team itself has a perfect lead with four offensive threats and is able to almost react to anything - besides Fairies. Pair it with a somwhat high dependence on SR, Bisharp is the perfect team mate for the rest of the team. LO Bisharp with Low Kick (for Tran, Zone, etc.), Knock Off, Sucker Punch (for fast Psychics) and Iron head (mainly for Clefable and Sylveon) complements the team perfectly.
625.gif

The synergy of this team is very high, but I would also appreciate good suggestions for change. I myself am not a good battler, more of a builder, but for the first time ever, I was able to reach 1550 in OU with this team, which represents the teams strength. You win fast, you win often and you don't have to overthink with this team. Just attack what's in front of you.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 140 HP / 128 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake / Roost

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Energy Ball
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Bolt

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, first i would suggest to add the set below the img of the pokemon to make the reading more enjoyable and understandable. So looking you team is basically HO so you gotta play really smart and agresive to make a hole for one of your set up sweepers. The archetype and selection of mon i think is pretty good but you should improve some of the set/item so i would like to suggest the follow things:
  • Since is HO you need to be the fastest mon in the field specially when you're a set set up sweeper which is the case of ZardX, you should make it Jolly Nature with 72 HP/ 216 Atk / 220 Spe which allow u to outpace random scarf Kyub after +1 and u still preserve the power to ensure some Hko or 2HKO.
  • Latias > Gyarados is the next switch I recommend because you lack of a solid answer to keldeo and also latias is a better defogger than lead Aero, also with healing wish can bring back some of your threat for late game, provide you a solid answer to zard Y too which other way annihilated.
  • Next Thunder Wave > Dazzling on Kazam, having sash and magic guard is a great backup check for set up threats so you guaranteed survive one hit and t-wave'd in return to revenge it after, also Psychic > Psyshock and Shadow Ball > Energy ball , with this coverage only chansey can wall u but u already have answers for it.
  • Next i'll leave a better set for Scarf Kyurem-B down below.
  • BulkyChomp > AeroLead, this allow you to check Sand Offense a lil bit better and also provide you a check to all phisycal type attacker due to Rough + helmet recoil, set up rocks and the ability to phaze too. set down below too.
  • And last Adamant Bish > Jolly and Sword dance > Low kick having chomp in the back Low isnt needed to check another bisharp, so with SD you can break teams more easily and have a stronger priority to deal with sand offense too.
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw / Outrage

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast
hope i help u gl !

Hi, cool DD team!

Your team is very weak to SR, as aero is not really that good of a defog user and doesn't really add any offensive pressure to the team. Also, you are very weak to fairy already, so the Lati@s twins are out as options. You don't currently have any solid answers to the likes of Mega Diance/ Gardevior or Calm mind clefable.
In this regard, bulky Excadrill provides you with the option of hazard control, rock set up, steel STAB for fairies and STAB EQ. Here are some calcs:

252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 216-256 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- 89.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.
+1 0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 176-208 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.
232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Excadrill: 292-344 (68.8 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

You can lead with scarf Kyu against Lando/ Garchomp and either force them out or KO them, so taunt to shut down rocks is not needed. Excadrill also lures in Keldeo for Gyrados. He also gives you a way to shut down volt switch initiative and force out electrics (even rotom) due to mold breaker (which also hits gengar which would be annoying if it sets up a sub on your team).

Also DenisEG provided some useful changes to your other team members sets which i advise you implement (:

GL with the team!

Thank for the answers. I will try some out.
I just cannot accept someone adding T-Wave anywhere, just because i personally despise this move... Also I predict a very big weakness with the new Alakazam set - Stall. I checked Sableye and Quagsire with Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam. What do I do now against those mons?
Also, I will try out the Driller and the bulky Chomp for Aero, but I don't think they will do a much better job, at least on the part of the ladder, where I am. The Taunt almost in any case prevented the SRs for the whole game and if my opponent switched out, I was able to preserve Aero for Defog. But nevertheless, I will try it out!
Thanks again!

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hey, nice team! I agree with DennisEG that you should run Tank Chomp since it helps with physical attackers, namely Bisharp, which is a huge threat to the team. Another reason to run it would be that it helps out with wearing down Mega Gyarados, which is another major threat. Mega Gyarados can set up behind a substitute and if it does, then Alakazam can use its Focus Sash to get rid of the sub and then die. Then you'll usually have to rely on Kyurem-Black to finish it off, but it only does 58-68% with Fusion Bolt. If you have Garchomp, you'll be able to force Mega Gyarados to take at least 29% damage when it tries to KO Garchomp, and then if you also manage to let Mega Gyarados take Stealth Rock damage, you'll be able to KO it with Fusion Bolt, as it'll have 59% remaining when you use Fusion Bolt. The same strategy can be applied to Azumarill, and if you decide to run a Naive nature on Kyurem-Black, you won't need Stealth Rock to have the guaranteed KO. Having a Naive nature also ensures that you'll get the 2HKO against Special Defensive Skarmory, which is something that can annoy your whole team and would otherwise leave Zard X's Flare Blitz to be the only reliable method to defeat it.

This is a minor change, but you could change the Kyurem-Black's EV spread to have 188 Speed so you hit 300 speed. This allows you to outspeed Adamant Mega Charizard X after it sets up a Dragon Dance, this also lets you outspeed other base 100 mons with max speed with a non speed boosting nature.

Optional: If you're really worried about Quagsire and Mega Sableye (which carries Foul Play), you could run Sub Calm Mind Keldeo > Gyarados since Keldeo is able to eat up dark attacks from Mega Sableye, and still maintains the other set up sweeper. Keldeo also helps with Bisharp and Mega Gyarados, and it also gives you another Scald switch in, which is something your team doesn't really have since Alakazam wants to keep its sash intact, and Mega Charizard X can switch in, but it won't be in a favorable position to set up. This is some of the notorious Scald users in OU like Keldeo, Manaphy and Slowbro can all force Zard X out as it will either get KO'd the next turn, or get paralyzed/crippled by Slowbro. Luckily, Latias as mentioned by DennisEG, also gives you a switch in (especially to Keldeo) to Scald.

Final Changes

Naive > Timid; New EV spread of 56 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe

Optional:
>

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

That's it for now , let me know if my suggestions or reasoning helped or not and in case of the latter, I'll come up with something else. Hope I helped ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)