ORAS OU "Double Ascended" : Mega Ampharos Balance - RMT #2

What Pokemon do you want to see a team around next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

(Just in case you guys are not aware because I just now realized that I don't know if the poll is telling you, but on your choice above you can pick for more than 1 poke in case you see more than one Poke you want me to build around.)
Introduction

What's up guys, this is Spiderp-Man bringing you my second RMT! Now before we start I need to bring something up, and that's the quality of these RMT Teams. I'm not gonna lie, while I enjoyed and had fun with my first team and had some Member Set concepts that I enjoyed very much, when I kinda look back at it, it's kinda... well... I mean... you know it was... ummm... It sucked *BLEEP* (Sorry, gotta make it PG for the Kiddies.)... While I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the worst thing I've ever built, I'm starting to realize that team wouldn't get too far, especially once we get to the 1200 to 1300's, and that's not even considering if we just happen to get towards the high ladder, keyword "IF". The point is, I don't want these RMTs to suck. These are still gonna be teams that, you know can always improve, but I still want them to have viable use for at least the Mid Ladder, if not the High Ladder. But, I also want these teams to have use in some form of Tournament play on Showdown, hence why the structure is built like this. And while I'm still fairly new, I personally think this team right here, if anything, is at least better built then my first team, with so far having earned 15 wins and 3 losses. In fact, some time later, I might end up just revamping that team. But for now, let's take a look at our new team, built around Aftershock! (Get it... because he's slow. And... and he's an Electric type. *Ba Da Bing.*

Why that Pokemon?

By: falconfliesalone at Devian Art
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Ampharos-Awakened-402704298

So, why Ampharos? Well to start with he's got a extremely high Special Attack stat. With a base 165, this means the only Pokemon that tie him or beat him in the entirety of the OU Meta Game are Mega Gardevoir, with 165 as well, and Mega Alakazam with 175. He's also got some well balanced bulk, with 90 base HP, 105 base Defense, and 110 base Special Defense, this is a mega that can take some hits pretty damn well. This means you can make him into a strong Special Sweeper, or a Specially Defensive Wall with a slow Volt Switch for some great momentum. I also wanted to start with a Pokemon that's rated low on the Viability Ranks, but still had some definite Viability in the overall Meta Game. Plus, if didn't decide to make this team based around, I wouldn't have been able to use that S+ nickname. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The Process to build the Team

To start things off, I wanted two Pokemon that could act as Stall Breakers, one on the Physical side and one on the Special. For these roles, I decided I would go with Gliscor and Gengar. These guys defensively Synergy well with Ampharos, as both of them are Immune to Ground Moves, and are both provide either a Fighting Resist or Immunity. Gengar in particular also provides me one of my Fairy Checks. While Gliscor also provides me a potential Physical Sweeper and an Electric Immunity.

Ferrothorn and Clefable are my defensive Mons. Both these guys provided me with a either a Dragon Resist or Immunity. Ferrothorn also provided me a Hazard Setter, some Speed Control, a Water Resist, a third Electric Resist, a second Fairy Check, and a Flying Check. Clefable provides me a Cleric, a Semi-Dark Check (Sadly is not a complete Counter against Weavile and Bisharp), and an extra Fighting Resist.

The last member I wanted add to team was a Physical Scarfer, there were to two I had in mind, but Kyurem-Black won out due to having more Defensive Synergy with the other Teammates. Kyurem-Black, aside from providing possibly one of the strongest Physical Scarfers in the entire OU Meta Game, provides me with another Flying Check, a second Water Resist, and a fourth Electric Resist.

An In-Depth look at the Team

By: The Black Rabbit at Tumblr
http://el-conejo-negro.tumblr.com/post/138160633740/mega-ampharos-2016-sketchbook-digital-this-is

Aftershock (Ampharos-Mega) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static (Mold Breaker)
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe

Modest Nature (+ SpA, - Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Agility

"Give it a Thunderbolt!" The star of the team. Ampharos is my Fat *BLEEP* Special Sweeper for the team. As I said above, It's got a monstrous Special Attack, especially when given a Modest Nature. Because of this, his Special Attack reaches to 471! It's Thunderbolt can 2HKO a Shuckle, and an Assault Vest Goodra with a Dragon Pulse.
Focus Blast
is to cover Steel Types. Focus Blast allows it to 2HKO a Specially Defensive Registeel, and 2HKO a standard Ferrothorn with 252 HP and 168 Special Defense. (Though make sure you don't start setting up Agility's in front of it though. ^-^') Finally, one downside that comes with his Mega, is that he's slow. I mean... slow. Like really *BLEEP*ing slow! Like, if Ampharos had no Speed investments, a Registeel could run *BLEEP*ing circles around him. That's what Agility is for, it allows Aftershock here to out speed a good majority of the Meta Game. Anyone slower than a Noivern will be out paced by this guy after one Agility Set-Up. If you give a Timid Nature instead, he'll out pace anyone slower than a Scarfed Adamant Excadrill. But, I don't know, he can lose some KOs if he's not Modest.

Sadly I'm not sure what happened to the original creator, it said his Reddit account was deleted. I'll still leave a link though.
https://m.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/30gi7o/day_324_above_the_city_gliscors_midnight_flight/

BatFang (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Evs: 244 HP/ 8 Def/ 200 SpD/ 56 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Gliscor was the first member I decided to add, as my Stall Breaker and , to an extent, a Physical Set-Up Sweeper. Honestly, there's not much to talk about this guy, He's pretty much your standard Toxic Orb Gliscor set. With Earthquake for STAB, Roost for Recovery, and Swords Dance for Set-Up. However, you'll notice that I'm running Baton Pass. Baton Pass allows me to get some safe switch-ins for Kyurem-Black, and pass on his boosts. I'll go in more detail about him specifically further down, though. Other than that, he's a pretty good Mon that can take hits well, and hit back with +2 STAB Earthquakes.

Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure who made this this Artwork here, but here's the link.
http://wallpoper.com/wallpaper/pokemon-gengar-318124

Joker (Gengar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+ Spe, - Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

"Let's put a smile on that face!" Gengar seems to be one of, if not the best Ghost Type Pokemon the OU Meta Game has to offer. It makes sense though, in fact he might be possibly be better this Generation than he has been previously. Why? Simple, Fairies. Fairy Types are very prominent in this current Meta Game, with only two weaknesses, being Steel and Poison. Do you know what our "Prince of Ghosts" is? Ghost... and Poison. This means Gengar is an effective check to these damn Fairies that're running around. Gengar also has a very respectable base Special Attack stat of 130 to back up the majority of his Move Pool. Gengar has also been an effective Stall Breaker, thanks to Taunt. Taunt can completely bend over most Stall teams with no offensive pressure to back up. The rest of the moves are pretty standard. Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave for Dual STAB, and Focus Blast for some more Steel coverage. Considering my blood turns to molten lava whenever I come across Mons like Mega Sableye and Chansey, me and the Joker here are going to have some fun... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

By: MatthewJWills and colored by silverbirch at Devian Art
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Ferrothorn-258023447

Ouchies (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP/ 88 Def/ 172 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+ Def, - Spe)
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

It's Wall... That's about it... Alright, but Ferrothorn was picked because we needed a form of Hazard Setter and is one of the best Walls in the entire Meta Game. Leech Seed is for extra recovery, Gyro Ball is to hit fast Mons, and Thunder wave is for Mons that decide "Yea, I wanna out speed your entire team." He also provides some extra chip damage from his Iron Barbs Ability.

By: BeJuled at Devian Art
http://bejuled.deviantart.com/art/Clefable-513197895

Fairytale (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP/ 164 Def/ 96 SpD
Calm Nature (+ SpD, - Atk)
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Oh look! It's the only Pokemon with S Rank! Clefable as our Mixed Wall and our Cleric. Wish is very handy for bringing some of our Power Houses like Aftershock and Bonechill, Heal Bell heals Status Effects, and Protect is when we need to Stall a turn to bring our HP back up for Fairytale here. Also provides us Immunity towards Dragon types and can get some pretty decent damage even with an uninvested Moonblast.

Bonechill (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+ Spe, - SpD)
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

Kyurem-Black. One of the most powerful Meta Game threats out right now, this Mon has extraordinarily high Attack stat of 170, and its 120 in the Special Attack department is not something to take lightly either. He's not the fastest of threats, but a Choice Scarf can patch that up, bringing his Speed up to 476. Imagine, Baton Passing all those Swords Dance boosts from Gliscor to this incarnate of destruction. After two Swords Dance boosts, Fusion Bolt is a guaranteed 2HKO Mega Aggron. Want something more relevant? How about being able to OHKO Mega Slowbro after two Swords Dance boosts? Or how about after two Swords Dance boosts, being able to OHKO a Mega Tyranitar with a Dragon Claw. Point is, this is a force to be reckoned with as it is, but after Swords Dance boosts, if the opposing player has no one that can resist Kyurem-Black's Coverage, Then it's a clean sweep from there. Sadly, the one downside to Kyurem-Black, is that he's got no good Physical Ice Coverage Moves. :( But, hey. This powerful Dragon Type, and King of the Ice Types, is still nothing to scoff at.

Conclusions

So, what do you think. As I said, I've gotten 15 wins and 3 losses so far. So it's done pretty well, but unfortunately I forgot to make it so I was able to share my replays. -__-' But, I'm hoping you can all see that too. This team, took me a long while 'till I finally got a Team Structured to my liking. Like I'm talking at least five days. The overall goal of the team is to be competitive on the ladder, yes. But, it was also built when keeping mind the possibilities of competing in tournaments.

Please leave any suggestions if you have any changes you recommend. I'll admit, I've had some debates on some moves selections, like whether if I wanted Iron Head on Bonechill for backup Fairy Coverage, or having Taunt over Baton Pass on Gliscor. Let me know what y'all think.

Also, I'm going to make a new team for the next RMT I do in two weeks, so I want you guys to tell me if there's a specific team your interested in. The only catch is that it has to be the Pokemon that are in the Poll. Here's a list of the Pokemon in case something happens.

12.5%
46.9%
28.1%
25%
15.6%
18.8%
These are all Pokemon, that have some form of viability in the OU Meta Game, whether it's being a Sweeper, or a Utility Mon.

Thank you for reading, and I'll see y'all next time.

*Rows off back to Ocean on his trusty mattress.*

Last edited:
Hey Spiderp-Man ! You a really cool bulky offensive team going on right there! I've been testing with it, and I have encountered a few problems that the team encounters, which I will address later. Mega Ampharos is definitely a cool Mega Evolution to build around, although it isn't the best in the current OU Metagame. Its still a cool Pokemon to use though :) Lets get started shall we.

Mega Ampharos is great, and running an Agility set is a neat idea, but a bulky, RestTalk set would be better. Ampharos has decent natural bulk, but it doesn't fare well against many metagame threats, like Landorus-T and Latios. Ampharos is also very slow, which Agility does patch up but Ampharos rarely has the opportunity to set one up. Believe it or not, Stallbreaker Heatran with Earth Power actually checks the set you currently have, eating up a Focus Blast (assuming you hit one) and being able to outspeed and at least 3HKO Ampharos. A bulkier RestTalk set also provides Ampharos with reliable recovery, something that your team lacks (I don't count Wish as reliable because you have to switch into it). I would also recommend Volt Switch on Ampharos, as your team lacks momentum generation.

SwordPass Gliscor is a cool set, and can be a little useful here and there, but Gliscor is usually shut down by common threats, like Keldeo and Rotom-Wash, and your specific set cannot touch any Levitate or Flying-Type Pokemon. If you get to a game where its Gliscor vs a Flying Type, you'll most likely lose (unless you PP stall for like 100 turns). Gliscor also has lackluster defensive synergy with Ampharos, with both being weak to Ice Type Attacks, having Pokemon like Weavile rip larges holes in the team. To create better synergy with Ampharos, I would recommend replacing Gliscor with Rotom-Wash. Rotom-Wash adds to the VoltTurn core being created with Volt Switch, and can handle Dragon-Types (physical ones like Dragonite) fairly well, with the addition of being immune to Ground-Type attacks. Rotom also gives you a way to hit Ground-Types, besides Kyurem-B.

Gengar is okay on your team. Actually, Gengar is okay in the current metagame. Thats it, just okay. Gengar has fallen from where it once stood in RBY OU. Gengar is an okay Fairy check, but doesn't really want to switch into any hit, and is handled well by Fairys like Azumarill, who can deal tons of damage with Banded Aqua Jet. As you said you use Gengar to check Mega Sableye and Chansey (Pokemon who Gengar does not check), I would recommend replacing Gengar with Choice Banded Scizor. Scizor completes the VoltTurn core with U-Turn, and is able to check Fairies with Bullet Punch. Scizor can also Knock Off Chansey's Eviolite and also gets Superpower. Scizor also 2HKOs Mega Sableye with Bug Bite (assuming you don't get Burned). Scizor also has good synergy with Ampharos and Rotom, being a soft check to Ground-Types and having Ampharos and Rotom eat up Fire-Type attacks for Scizor. Scizor also has the option of Pursuit trapping, which is handy for dealing with Latios and Latias.

Thunder Wave Ferrothorn is a great addition to your team, being a soft check to ground types and a check for threats like Talonflame, Azumarill (w/o Superpower), and Bisharp. Not much that I would change with Ferrothorn, except you must be wary of strong Fire-Types, as they can hit both Ferrothorn and Scizor for 4x SuperEffective damage.

Let me first start off by saying that Clefable is only S Rank for it's Magic Guard CM set. Unaware is a very situational ability, and I never run it on any Pokemon I use. Thats just me, and I strongly dislike Unaware. You may use it if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. Changing Unaware Clefable to a Calm Mind variant is what I recommend. Clefable gives you a setup sweeper, and can come in handy in a pinch. Magic Guard also allows it to soak up status' that will bug Scizor and Ampharos (though the latter can heal it off with Rest). Clefable is also able to be a cleric, waking up a Sleeping Ampharos.

Kyurem-B is a great wallbreaker, and its fits in well enough with your team to keep it on. However, I would recommend a different moveset, adding Earth Power to the moveset and removing either Dragon Claw or Outrage. There is no sense in you having both on a Scarf Kyurem set, as they both do the same thing basically. I would also change the EV spread, to focus on the special side of Kyurem's attacks.

Overall, really cool team with Mega Ampharos, and hopefully these changes will make it better :)

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell / Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earth Power

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off / Pursuit
- Bug Bite / Superpower

Hello Millionsunz. I'm actually liking the sound of some of the changes you suggested. But I do have one thing I'm not so sure about.

With Ampharos changing to a more defensive set, would it be ok to change Ferrothorn to Excadrill? I can make Excadrill a scarfer, and make kyurem-b either the popular LO wallbreaker set, or the bulkier sub set. Excadrill would also provide me with a spinner, which I think Kyurem would appreciate. I mean he's no Charizard, but he's still losses quite abit of HP to rocks. Also the fire weakness would not be so bad. It also kinda gives me a better check for fairies. Idk about you, but I'm not all that comfortable to rely on a Poke built for hazards and defensive prowess as a check to Fairies. I know I got Scizor, but remember, he's also 4x weak to fire. So if I lose Scizor? Other than a hunk of metal with thorns, I got notin then. Also STAB EQS.... STAB EQs are always awesome. Especially STAB EQs with Mold Breaker.

Hello Millionsunz. I'm actually liking the sound of some of the changes you suggested. But I do have one thing I'm not so sure about.

With Ampharos changing to a more defensive set, would it be ok to change Ferrothorn to Excadrill? I can make Excadrill a scarfer, and make kyurem-b either the popular LO wallbreaker set, or the bulkier sub set. Excadrill would also provide me with a spinner, which I think Kyurem would appreciate. I mean he's no Charizard, but he's still losses quite abit of HP to rocks. Also the fire weakness would not be so bad. It also kinda gives me a better check for fairies. Idk about you, but I'm not all that comfortable to rely on a Poke built for hazards and defensive prowess as a check to Fairies. I know I got Scizor, but remember, he's also 4x weak to fire. So if I lose Scizor? Other than a hunk of metal with thorns, I got notin then. Also STAB EQS.... STAB EQs are always awesome. Especially STAB EQs with Mold Breaker.
Changing Ferrothorn to Excadrill is a great idea, but you would then have to place Stealth Rocks on your Clefable, probably getting rid of Heal Bell or Thunder Wave, just so that you have a rocker :)

Koo. This'll also make the team not as passive. As my TRUE offensive Mons would've only been Scizor and Kyurem-B, since Ampharos would be defensive now. Plus, "What if the Excadrill doesn't do well as a scarfer for this team?" Well then it's simple, you can just make Excadrill an Offensive Mon still except with Stealth Rocks. I mean when you consider (with the added changes) that Excadrill has the capability to be a Hazard Setter, a Spinner, gives me less weakness to fire, and gives me more offensive pressure... I just don't see how keeping Ferrothorn would be healthy fr the team when Excadrill just seems to be able to do his job. But better.

Either way, I'll be testing out all these changes. Thank you Millionsunz for your suggestions.

Note: I'd still wouldn't mind seeing more posts here from the rest of you. I'd like to here everyone's opinion.

Ok, Millionsunz. I need someone other than Rotom-Wash. Or at least a back up flyer. My team had no switch ins for Mold Breaker Excadrill. I think I'm going to replace Excadrill for Landorus-T.

Last edited:
LOL this team tho, it looks good imo

you need a defogger for your team its mad weak to serviper (grass snake with contrary).

starmie > kyurem-b

it's faster and can use ice beam and thunder bolt.

try defensive landorus -t and av tornadus.

LOL this team tho, it looks good imo

you need a defogger for your team its mad weak to serviper (grass snake with contrary).

starmie > kyurem-b

it's faster and can use ice beam and thunder bolt.

try defensive landorus -t and av tornadus.

Hello Anime Haven. I suppose I can always try replacing Kyurem-Black with Starmie and see how it goes. Though I'm not entirely sure what you mean to replace for Landorus-T or Tornadus-T.

i know why you suggested them, I just don't know who you were wanting replaced. Also if you don't mind telling me which variation of the team, that would be appreciated. Thank you.

You know I don't know how to start this so I am going to say hello. First of all the only advice I got is that this team gets destroyed by any weavile, excadrill, bisharp and scizor (I am not good at rating) in the game but that is besides the point. What I like about this team is the innovation, I grow tired of seeing lando, lati, and keldeo after a while on the ladder. So, this is a word of encouragement. What I see here is potential and lots of it. So as the meta game comes slowly to an end. I hope that while the sun and moon meta is starting, I want to see amazing teams coming out of your workshop. One more thing I forgot to mention that a Gliscor getting walled by balloon tran is not good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)