Delibird (joke analysis) [QC approved?] [GP 0/2]

(...do joke analyses even GET QC? whatever)

Delibird

[Overview]

<p>Delibird is incredibly badass. Unfortunately, it's regular-bad to an even greater extent. With a whopping 330 BST that makes Farfetch'd look powerful and its highest stat a whopping 65 SpA, Delibird is just all-around bad. It gets Hustle, which is almost useful, but encounters a key problem: 150% of a pile of shit is just a bigger pile of shit.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band "Sweeper"
move 1: Aerial Ace
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Focus Punch/Gunk Shot/Seed Bomb/Brick Break/Return/Sky Attack/Fly/Facade/Splash
item: Choice Band
ability: Hustle
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is pretty much the only Delibird set that even approaches viability.</p>

<p>Delibird has the incredibile ability to ALMOST threaten many NU Pokémon such as Mesprit or Regirock before they puree it. Everything outspeeds and OHKOs it, though, and it doesn't get an OHKO on pretty much anything. If you try to use this in higher tiers, the result will be a Tyranitar with indigestion.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace provides reliable "power", in as much as Delibird has such a thing. Ice Shard lets you actually hit a foe before it reduces Delibird to a red smear, but will never, ever, ever do enough damage. Ice Punch is your heavy-hitting STAB move, but like Aerial Ace it requires the foe to be a paralyzed Sunkern for you to actually pull it off, and furthermore Hustle leaves it with only 80% accuracy. It's like Stone Edge, except completely and irredeemably terrible, essentially. Scratch that: it's just like Stone Edge.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Last slot is really up to you. Focus Punch is the "best" option, but realistically you're not actually going to get to use anything that doesn't have priority. Speaking of priority- Delibird gets Quick Attack and Fake Out, but those do so little damage coming from this thing that they'll probably heal the opponent.</p>

[SET]
name: Salmonella
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Roost
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Hustle
nature: Impish
evs: 248 HP/8 Atk/252 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Be amazed by what is hands down the worst Rapid Spinner in the game.</p>

<p>Basically you come in on a Choiced Earthquake or something, lose half your health from Stealth Rock, Roost, and then Rapid Spin before spreading poison around the team. Or, more likely, you switch in, lose half your health doing that, and lose the other half when the foe's Igglybuff uses Pound. With all this investment in Delibird's bulk, it might survive an enemy's Constrict if you are very, very lucky.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Don't use this. Ever. It's just here to demonstrate how superbly bad Delibird is at everything. If I see this in the ladder stats, I'm going to come to your house and castrate you with an ice pick.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Delibird has a 65 SpA and Ice Beam, but Hustle is the only trick it has that's even vaguely worthwhile. If you have Specs, though, you can probably make a Hoothoot check out of it.</p>

<p>Your best option, of course, is not to use Delibird. Give a Choice Band to Fearow or something instead. Literally any other fully-evolved Flying-type can be more useful to your team.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>Pokémon.</p>

metsrule158

Don't disturb him on his break.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, this Pokemon's movepool is shit, but whatever. Mixed set? I mean, its SpA is higher than its Atk, but it does only have two special moves of different types. Also, mention how Stealth Rock totally owns the little thing.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I think you should put Quick attack in their to get priority on those ice resists, also pluck could be used over Aerial Ace to steal a Target's Berry if they have one- And Frost Breath should be used over Ice Punch as it has 80 Base Power since it always results in a Crit

metsrule158

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, but since the set is not investing in any Special Attack EVs, Ice Punch would be better, despite the 5 BP difference.

I think you should put Quick attack in their to get priority on those ice resists, also pluck could be used over Aerial Ace to steal a Target's Berry if they have one- And Frost Breath should be used over Ice Punch as it has 80 Base Power since it always results in a Crit
None of those are worth slashes; Aerial Ace ignores Hustle's side effect, Ice Punch is physical, and Quick Attack wastes a moveslot. Maybe AC mentions though?

metsrule158

is a Contributor Alumnus
More like OO if anything, as Ice Shard will always do more damage if not being resisted.

emphasize Rapid Spin, because pokes with Quad weaknesses to SR make for the best spinners
Hey, it's actually totally immune to Spikes/Toxic Spikes, so you can't say it's totally useless as a spinner !

But on more serious note - I think some people tried to use him more seriously as a dedicated lead. Yes yes, dedicates leads are in many cases meh this Gen, but if there is anything this guy can do, it's IMO leading.

Just standard Max Atk/Max Speed spread with Ice Shard/Ice Punch/Rapid Spin/Filler (IMO the best is Counter) with Focus Sash. At least they can't throw entry hazards on you and attack you for free if they are physical...

I don't think Present works that well with the analysis' central joke, though- the idea that Delibird is just enough of a token resistance that it doesn't feel like your foe just gave up.

(and, yeah- don't overthink a joke analysis; the reason it's being done this way, not even requiring a skeleton, is that the Pokémon has already been examined and determined to be completely worthless from a competitive standpoint!)

Delibird is a Pokémon ideally made for those with generous hearts. Using it as as close as you can get to guaranteeing your opponent a win without conceding the match;
Perfect wording for the usage of present...

breh

強いだね
Use Adamant; delibird at least has strong priority.

I hope I'm not the only one who believes that this is seriously lacking in humor. When writing, don't say "using delibird is like losing". Instead, say things along the line of "gamefreak thought giving a mon hustle would solve its shittiness but they were wrong". Delibird could indeed be useful - hell, with Adamant, it almost always OHKOes Rotom-Fan with Ice Shard and SR - but everything about it brings it down. To use delibird is not to "concede the match", it is to thoroughly troll your opponent.

I don't think you realized the joke; using Delibird isn't conceding. The joke is that using Delibird is the least effective strategy that can still manage to accomplish something.

Adamant vs. Jolly- hard to decide. Adamant is better for Ice Shard, but Delibird loses what very little Speed it has with its other attacks.

To be frank a lot of users "don't understand" the joke. I don't think the current methood you use of getting the point across works, and I'm sure minor changes won't fix this. We need to get the point clean across that "this mon fucking sucks" without beating around the bush, which sadly happens a lot in this analysis. I want the choice band set to stay, and I want a support set added with rapid spin and toxic. A second set that shows how much of a joke it is will help everyone understand that it sucks, until then I do not believe this is QC approvable.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Obviously it's hard to critic humor (or judge its quality, really) without being incredibly subjective, but on the basis that I've had several people come and ask me to do something about this, I think it's apparent that something here needs to be changed. It's important to make sure that everyone can easily understand that this analysis is solely here to poke fun at Delibird, rather than go for a vague sort of humor by saying that "it's good enough to leave an impact!". It's not that it's entirely unfunny (chuckled to myself a couple times) but it's really just beating around the bush, as Steamroll said. I don't really know what advice to give because I'm not great at writing humor myself, but I think it's probably better to follow a format similar to some of the joke analyses admitted in DPPt, like Happiny, Kakuna, Farfetch'd, and Luvdisc. Those don't mess around with saying that it's "almost" decent as if it were a real analysis but either tell us they already suck or in Kakuna's case, pretend as if it were the best thing since sliced bread. Happiny is the only violently different one, but I suppose that stands as an example that you can go in a different direction if you want (as long as it's funny).

Hope that helped a little bit. :x

edit: Spinda is also cute

All right, that's fine; will probably be starting from scratch on this; had some doubts myself to start with anyway.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is definitely better than the first attempt, and pretty funny overall. I just want to say that you can combine a lot of the paragraphs in each section. I would only leave two paragraphs in the first set's Set Comments (combine the first two paragraphs), and the Checks and Counters, since that section is the only one which is made funnier by additional spacing.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I shall be taking over this analysis, thank you for your work on the skeleton, it will not go unappreciated.

All questions should be directed to Oglemi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)