SM UU DEFENSIVE SET-UP SCREENS (PEAKED 1751, TOP 10)

What is your favorite set on this team?

• Mega Slowbro (I'm so done with status)

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Klefki (Been waiting for a Klefki to screw up a Scizor)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Espeon (No momentum for you, Scizor)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Muk (Opponent sees Figy and cries)

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Kommo-o (Oh crap, that didn't break it's substitute)

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Necrozma (That moment when a psychic type beats a Scizor)

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

By Pinkacross:

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

l- INTRODUCTION

ll- SETS EXPLANATION

lll- TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

lV- THREATS

V- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION (PROOF OF PEAK, ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS, USAGE TIPS)

l- INTRODUCTION

Greetings, I identify as Pinkacross. I am a dedicated teambuilder that loves the UU metagame (especially since the ban of Azumarill) and so I would like to share my best team. I will warn you, every single set that you are about to see is completely strange, and you likely have not seen it before. The idea of a screens team that wasn't completely comprised of a setter and offensive sweepers used to be foreign to me. However, after the success that some people had with defensive screens, notably BanDisnDatnMe, I realized that UU pokemon have lots of potential to be extremely dangerous when setting up their stats under screens. Here is my UU, defensive set up screens team.

ll- SETS EXPLANATION

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Morning Sun
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is almost always the lead for our team. The only case in which you don't lead Espeon is if the opponent has a Mega Beedrill, in which you would lead Klefki. The thoughts behind the set are straightforward: Set up screens without having to worry about hazards. Morning Sun is to keep Espeon healthy, as it is usually needed to come in several times if Klefki is threatened by many of the opposing pokemon. Hidden Power Fire is meant to OHKO Band Scizor looking to pick up momentum on the Espeon lead. Keep in mind that this only OHKOs Scizor with no defensive or HP investment, as most band ones run. Feel free to make it more special attacking if you really hate Scizor, but I feel as though to take any more than 100 EVs away from HP is bad for this setter as a whole. 100 EVs in special attack is enough to guaranteed OHKO Scizor.

Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch

Kommo-o is meant to break up teams that have lots of taunters and phazers, or perhaps hazers that interfere with all of the other pokemon. The goal of Kommo-o is very simple. Set up substitute under screens, usually on pokemon such as Swampert, Muk-Alola, and Seismitoad, then use Belly Drum, activate the Salac berry, then sweep with Drain Punch. Pokémon that can't be killed with Drain Punch, like Primarina and Togekiss, are killed by Thunder Punch. Kommo-o runs a Jolly nature to outspeed Mega Aerodactyle, and some other threats at +1. Soundproof gives Kommo-o immunity to Roar, and Hyper Voice from Sylveon. This is a great ability for Kommo-o to have. Preferably set up with Kommo-o early game to bust up the opponents team, or late game to finish the opponent's team.

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Scald

Yes, a rest talk Mega Slowbro. This set is not unheard of, but it is uncommon. Mainly this Slowbro acts as means to stop sweepers such as Terrakion, SD Gliscor, and Cobalion. On top of this, Slowbro acts as a dark-type lure, as it aims to get a scald burn off on dark types such as Muk-Alola, so that Necrozma (which only has stored power to attack) is not rendered useless when facing dark types. Calm Mind is used to Increase Slowbro's longevity when facing special attackers, also allowing it to set up on stall pokemon. Rest and sleep talk are an uncommon substitute for a simple slack off, but there are so many Muk-Alola around right now, poisoning everything, that rest is a much more reliable option. It's EVs are quite standard. Even a beast like Mega Slowbro needs maximum defense, as it risks being OHKOd by a +2.5 (justified boost from my Muk's knock off) Continental Crush. Furthermore, max defense makes it a more reliable check to Gliscor, especially Taunt variants.

Necrozma @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpD / 144 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Rest

Necrozma is vital to this team. It absolutely demolishes any team lacking dark types, and it's ability of Prism Armor allows it to set up on fearsome pokemon such as Band Scizor and Specs Chandelure. Necrozma's goal is to set up, then wreak havoc on the opponent's team by method of using extremely powerful stored powers with incredible defense. Iron Defense and Calm Mind allow Necrozma to achieve both special and physical bulk, while the RestoChesto method gives Necrozma the ability to stomach status, meaning it can set up on the likes of Bronzong, Swampert, Registeel, Klefki, and more. 144 speed allows Necrozma to outspeed maximum speed Scizor (assuming the Scizor is adamant) and the rest goes into Special Defense and HP, since Necrozma can boost it's physical bulk faster than it can it's special. Necrozma is often used very well early game, if there are no dark types. This often forces the opponent to give up several pokemon to bring it down, if they can at all. Thanks to BanDisnDatnMe for coming up with the moveset for this Necrozma, which they used in their OU hazardless hyper-set up team.

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

I absolutely love this Muk. Muk has incredible special bulk, and with Curse, you soon find that nothing can bring it down. This muk takes only 30% from a Thunderbolt from a Mega Manectric. Muk is practically immune to most special hits, being able to take on even Specs Draco Meteors from Latias and Hydregion. The Recycle Figy berry strategy is used to keep Muk healthy throughout the game. Gluttony allows the berry to activate at 50%, instead of the nearly useless 25% received from it's usual use. Curse is so that Muk can abuse it's turns in Screens, soon becoming bulky enough to tank Earthquakes from Mega Aggrons, and Powerful Enough to OHKO opposing pokemon. Knock Off is Muk's main stab move, and primary sweeping move. In fact, the only thing that challenges this Muk, practically, is Gliscor. The SD variants always set up in Muk's face, assuming it harmless, and they get OHKOd by an Ice Punch. Muk has enough attack to guaranteed OHKO offensive, SD Gliscor, but no other sets.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This is just a semistandard screens Klefki. Toxic is meant to hit Hippowdon leads, a huge trouble for this team, as well as get pokemon like Raikou and Serperior that will try to use Klefki as substitute setup fodder. Light Screen and Reflect are meant to set up screens to provide extra bulk for the team, particularly late game and in difficult situations where we find ourselves being swept. Hidden Power Fire is meant to do around 70% to Scizor, in case they try to use Klefki as set-up fodder. This is the Scizor-Switch In of the team, if the pokemon currently in cannot deal with Scizor. Swords Dance Scizor is a huge threat to this team, and it can sweep if not put down quickly. This Klefki acts as a screen setter, and sweeper stopper.

lll- TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

Teambuilding was a very difficult process, as I was at first confused by this team myself.

I started off with my two screen setters, for I knew one was not enough.

At this time, Klefki didn't carry hidden power fire, and Azelf had taunt, screens, and U-turn. The pressure to taunt was too much, and led to only one screen being set, so I made the change to Espeon.

Once I had decided on two reliable setters, I added my favorite defense boosting set to the team: Figy Berry Recyle Muk-Alola.

This was my first solid establishment of a core. Two setters, and an extremely potent defensive sweeper. Next, I decided that I would add a pokemon that counters more ground types, isn't bothered by Scald burns, and takes physical hits well, since Muk had no physical investment. The answer was clear: Mega Slowbro.

After I had Slowbro added to the team, I knew I needed a pokemon that took on sweepers. Refresh Dragon Dance Altaria looked very threatening, and I had no real check to set up pokemon in general. Fortunately, a great pokemon to counter offensive setup pokemon is a defensive pokemon that can set up even faster: Necrozma.

I began to make the realization that I had two huge weaknesses. Serperior and Muk-Alola really bothered my team, especially together as they commonly are. Taunt pokemon were also giving me lots of trouble, and hazers like Tentacruel were an instant loss. I needed a fast setup pokemon that could set up on Serperior, Muk, and Tentacruel. I'll admit, my first idea was very poor. Belly Drum Darmanitan.

This was an absolute disaster. Hydregion simply switched in and killed it, scarfers despite Darmanitan's salac berry. Muk Knock Offed it's berry, Serperior even abused it if it wasn't yet set up. It was a disaster. Besides, it's lack of recovery made it very difficult to work with. So, I tried another Belly Drum pokemon that is much more common in UU, subsalac Kommo-o.

This Kommo-o worked significantly better. It beat Sylveon with soundproof, could not be roared by Swampert, stayed at reliably high HP thanks to drain punch, consistently set up on Muk, and overall worked very well. I used to run Dragon Claw on it, but I soon realized Thunder Punch was superior for hitting fairy types, flying types, and other pokemon like Mega Slowbro that walled a Drain Punch. As I played, I lost constantly to Swords Dance Scizor, so I made Klefki maximum physical bulk, and gave it Hidden Power Fire. That fully dealt with Scizor, and Necrozma also deals with it quite well, surprisingly. My teambuilding was then finished, as the ladder results and scrutinizing turned up positive.

lV- THREATS

This team does certainly have threats. These are the main ones.

Now, Scizor isn't a threat if Klefki is applied quickly, or if the Scizor isn't Swords Dance. However, if you let a Scizor set up too much, it will sweep you clean. Your only hope will be to sack Slowbro, hoping it is a U-turn variant.

Similarly to Scizor, apply Klefki quickly. Set up screens, break the substitute, use toxic. Serperior struggles to set up against most of the team, but it can do so against Espeon, Necrozma, and sometimes Kommo-o. With proper playing, Serperior is easily beat down, but a lack of proper maneuvering will leave you completely helpless to this.

Muk is simply an issue, but also an opportunity. Necrozma is stopped by it, unless burned, but Kommo-o can use it as set-up fodder, and sweep by luring it in with the Espeon lead. Take advantage of the Muk, but it will sting if caution is not given to it.

Set up screens fast, dude. This is a huge threat to the team, absolutely nothing walls it. A good method is to force it to take good damage on Slowbro, and then hit back with a Mega Scald OHKO. This will always be a damage to the team, if the opponent plays it correctly. Muk under screens is also a good way to lure this pokemon, after cursing up and then killing with an Ice Punch, or removing it's Life Orb if not set up.

V- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Additional Information:
Proof of Peak: COMING SOON (My apologies, it keeps saying there was an error in inputting the photo. I will get it as soon as possible.

Acknowledgements: Thank you to BanDisnDatnMe, who I have never actually talked to, but provided inspiration for this team. Thanks to Tenebricite, who helped me test this team a ton and made lots of suggestions that improved the team greatly. Last of all, thank you to all of the people that told me that this team was useless garbage, for I was inspired in defiance to continue.

Usage Tips: When using this team, first try to identify a sweeper, what has the best chance to sweep the opponent's team. Then, find out what you can do to take away obstacles for that sweeper, and find out how you will make it sweep. Once this is identified, try to execute that plan as well as possible, and come up with alternative solutions to make that goal occur. If the opponent sacks off an unexpected pokemon, perhaps not what you wanted, simply reconsider your sweepers: A new potency may be discovered.

Importable:
Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Morning Sun
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Kommo-o @ Salac Berry
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Scald
Necrozma @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpD / 144 Spe
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Rest
Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Fire]

]

THANK YOU ALL, AND GOOD LUCK! HAVE FUN! - PINKACROSS

Last edited:
lol now that I have corrected the ev thing, I would recommend changing thunder punch on kommoo to ice punch because that whacks 2 of the Pokémon on ur threatlist, nidoking and serperior. Otherwise you can just keep blasting it with drain punches and kill it. this can also kill scarf lati, which kommoo would autolose to pretty much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)