ORAS NU Decision

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Decision

Introduction:

It's been a long time since I last posted an RMT (in fact I haven't posted a single one in all of ORAS lol), which is mostly because I haven't liked or enjoyed any of my teams enough to make a full RMT since then. I don't happen to be the most innovative teambuilder in the world, so needless to say that in a metagame like this, I'm especially low on creativity. This team however is one of the few that actually happen to use some pretty fun sets which you can see below, and since I do actually like writing RMTs, I figured I'd share it.

In-Depth:

Liepard @ Choice Band
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- Seed Bomb

Choice Band Liepard was the original basis of the team. It sounded like a cool idea ever since blarajan first brought it up in the SPL dump thread, and with Sneasel (hopefully) leaving soon, I wanted to see what this guy could do. I wasn't disappointed. CB Knock Off is spammable as shit, and backed by U-turn to get you out of the few times you don't want to spam it, it's pretty great. I barely even missed Prankster Encore just because it's a pretty risky move anyway, and the sheer power boost is so good. Seed Bomb is also a cute move that Liepard somehow gets access to, so if you can time it right Quagsire and Rhydon are straight gone.

There's actually a lot of options you could take with this set, and I've considered most of them, but I've been mostly satisfied with this set. The only moves on this particular team that I think are truly necessary are Knock Off and Seed Bomb, so you can use the last two slots to toy around with stuff like Gunk Shot, Prankster Trick, Pursuit, Play Rough, or whatever. Like I said though, I never really had any issues with this the way it is.

Hariyama @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 40 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Choice Band Hariyama is actually strong as hell, and another one of the "hidden gems" I discovered when I was making this team. Basically, I ended up using it because I needed an Ice resist that could hit hard and not leave me weaker to Klinklang and Rock Polish Rhydon. Wasn't really sure what to expect out of it at first, but it really impressed me as I started using it. It's basically a slower Sawk that can actually switch into stuff, and though that does make it pretty niche, that niche definitely shouldn't be overlooked. It's also the only non-Assault Vest Hariyama I've seen among higher play in forever, which is reasoning in itself to use it.

If I'm being completely honest though, I'd actually totally prefer Guts if I didn't have to run Thick Fat on this, mostly to give an answer to Scald Lanturn, which is annoying as fuck for this team. You could do something like run Guts AV to still switch into Ice-types somewhat decently and run Guts, but even then non-Thick Fat Hariyama is still a really shaky switchin and without CB loses a ton of power as well, so I'm not a big fan of that. As for the moves, Ice Punch is pretty much specifically for Vileplume, but since I really don't have a whole lot for that I kind of need it. The EVs let me outspeed max Speed Adamant Rhydon and split bulk between defenses.

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Fletchinder is one of my favorite Pokemon to use in NU. It's my main cleaner and catch-all revenge killer with priority Acrobatics, and fits strongly with Liepard and Hariyama as well: a double Choice Band core is obviously great at busting down walls in general, and Liepard's Seed Bomb is especially great support for luring Quagsire and bulky Rock-types, which Fletchinder can easily capitalize on. Fletch is also important because it checks Gurdurr, Grass-types, Mega Audino, and other stuff which could give me a pretty big headache otherwise.

The set is as standard as can be, but that's just because there's no real reason to deviate from it, at least on this team. The only thing you could possibly change is the Speed investment, running more to beat Kabutops or less to preserve a little bulk I guess, but I don't think it's necessary. I also never use anything but Will-O-Wisp on Fletchinder. Overheat or Fire Blast is unnecessary, I hate U-turn because it does absolutely 0 damage to anything (and it's not slow enough to make it a slow pivot either), and Taunt is decent but I didn't feel like I needed it.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Roost
- U-turn

Xatu is easily my go-to Pokemon when I need hazard control. I highly prefer it over any spinner or Defogger because I hate that with either of those two, hazards have to actually be up for you to remove them, which is especially bad if your opponent is running Toxic Spikes or something. With Xatu, you can prevent them from getting up hazards in the first place, which I like way better. And on this team, Xatu's typing happens to be pretty important anyway, since it serves as another check to similar Pokemon as Fletch (who is much frailer than Xatu is), as well as another Psychic resistance (and similarly, Liepard is super frail).

Xatu's a pretty customizable Pokemon in general, and this was the set I went with for this team. I'm running U-turn over Calm Mind because honestly I really don't like CM Xatu much as a whole, and momentum is quite nice for this more offensively oriented team. CM could probably work in theory, but I don't plan on running it. Giga Drain was used because I can't afford Rhydon or Carracosta setting up on me, and gives me a better matchup against most Stealth Rockers, which is important since I don't have any other hazard control. The EV spread outspeeds positive-natured base 80s because I was tired of Jolly Kabutops smashing my shit in (or me only winning because Stone Edge missed lol!)

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

Defensive Carracosta provides a ton of utility on this team. First and foremost, it's an excellent Normal and Flying resist, which this team desperately needed. It also sets up Stealth Rock, offers some more priority (even if it's weak), and checks Sneasel (at least it did at time of writing). The reason I chose it over something like Regirock was because I needed a soft check to Klinklang and Kabutops, which Carracosta's Water-typing allows it to do. Aqua Jet is also a good way to revenge a weakened Rhydon, which I needed as well.

The set is mostly standard, though I'm running some more Special Defense than average because I wanted to be able to switch into Swellow's Boomburst, which I don't have much else for. The EV spread I have provides enough bulk to almost always survive three Boombursts and hits a jump point in Defense. I don't care much for Aqua Jet, but as I've said, it's pretty much necessary for Rhydon. I'd definitely much prefer something like Protect if I didn't have to run it though.

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SpA / 68 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Lastly, Choice Specs Lanturn was added because I needed an Electric immunity, a secondary Flying resist (specifically one that could check Rotom-S), a Water resist, and a strong special attacker. I was pretty interested to see how this set would fare, since I (along with everyone else who's played this tier in the last few months) have used the defensive set to death, so I thought it would be cool to see how the offensive set performed. I still do prefer bulkier sets after having used this, though Specs still got the job done on this team, so I'm not complaining.

The EV spread lets me outspeed max Speed Mawile with the rest in bulk (and similar to Hariyama, splitting between defenses gives more bulk than putting it all in HP). Hydro Pump and Volt Switch are obvious, though I decided to go with Signal Beam > Ice Beam because I needed a better check to Malamar. HP Grass also helps with gay as shit Lanturn vs Lanturn matchups, which I fucking hate, though HP Fire could still work if you hate Ferroseed (just remember to put 4 extra Speed EVs).

Threatlist:

Lanturn: I really don't have much for the Scald + Volt Switch combo, especially because I can't run Heal Bell on my own Lanturn or Guts on Hariyama. The main strategy against it is just pressure it as much as possible and hopefully get some luck with avoiding Scald burns. Ban Scald.

Offensive Rock-types: Kabutops is pretty threatening since Stone Edge still does quite a lot to Carracosta. Luckily though, people always seem to like to bring in Kabutops against Xatu, so free lures haha. Rhydon is also definitely something to watch out for, though I have a lot of ways of luring and pressuring it.

Ludicolo: This is pretty threatening because Water + Grass STAB coverage is godly, though I've actually found it's less threatening on rain teams because Fletch fucking destroys rain lol. It's actually at it's most threatening on balance where people have proper switchins to priority, but either way, watch out.

Klinklang: Although I have three soft checks to it, it's important to keep at least one of them healthy throughout the game, and try not to let this thing get a Sub up. Not a massive issue overall but just keep it in mind throughout the match.

Shoutouts:
Brawlfest iplaytennislol hollywood QueenOfLuvdiscs Kiyo Can-Eh-Dian Raseri Montsegur The Goomy Finchinator marilli Disjunction Shaneghoul Oshony PokeGod metaphysical Kingler12345 boltsandbombers innovamania scorpdestroyer love you all, I would definitely not still be playing NU without you guys. All are also great users other than Brawlfest of course!

soulgazer Lasagne WhiteDMist CanadianWifier Karane Teddeh Steve Angello I haven't talked to you guys in a while, but I liked you and remembered you and hopefully that feeling is mutual haha

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone!!! I want to maximize my like output :pimp:
Conclusion:

I'm not really one for long conclusions, I just wanted to showcase with this team that creativity in teambuilding is still certainly doable even in a metagame as stagnant as this, even if it does require some more thought than before. Thanks for reading, and hopefully anyone using the team will have as much fun as I did.
Liepard @ Choice Band
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Seed Bomb

Hariyama @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 40 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Roost
- U-turn

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Jet

Lanturn @ Choice Specs
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SpA / 68 SpD / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hey Blast

I really like this team, its a great example of a balanced team in the current meta and I'm sure it'll do even better in the next one. Onto the team itself, and I find Mega Audino is a problem for your team. Mainly the crodino set, but relying on Fletch as your counter for it is dodgy at best. Since its hugely pressured by Stealth Rock and Xatu is not a fool proof way of preventing hazards.

The quickest and easiest fix to this is by running a CM Psyshock Xatu > Current Set.
I believe this change least limits your team without being weak to the afformentioned threat. We add another Soft Mega Audino check, in a CM Psyshock Xatu, which beats CM Mega Audino 1v1 and is a backup option if you need fletch healthy or is dead. CM Giga Drain Xatu actually beats all of the afformentioned threats in your threatlist bar ludicolo, but you have Fletch for that, and its main niche is its ability to check the likes of Ludicolo, Lilligant with no hastle whatsoever. Scald > Hydro Pump on Lanturn is also a good option, as it allows you to stay in vs Klinklang, without having to click Volt Switch, since the rest of your moves will miss (come on, since when does Hydro hit 4-5 times if the kk decides to sub stall), or don't hit hard enough to break the sub. It's also more reliable for revenging Rock Types, and still kills them. Scald is also broken, the burn chance and thaw ability is really nice. I also really don't like Choice Locked Sucker Punch. It may come useful, but in my opinion, your just asking to be settup fodder to anything, which you sometimes cant afford. I suggest running Trick > Sucker Punch, since its as effective as stopping settup sweepers as well as the fact you can dump your band on an annoying Vileplume or something is really nice. But I'm just nitpicking at this point.

CM > U-Turn on Xatu

Scald > Hydro on Lanturn

Trick > Sucker Punch on Liepard's

Nice team, I like it quite a bit and your a nice person in the community to be around, long may it continue.
yours in mons,
~venom

(dog)

hey blast cool team, dual cb's on mons that normally don't run CB is cool and it looks fun to play with. I know you don't wanna hear it but guts AV yama really does fit on this team alot better than CB does, it switches into lanturn for days and also helps check ludi in a pinch which means you don't gotta rely on fletch to do it. also if you do change it, i'd say that running Heavy Slam > Ice Punch would probably be beneficial to make sure that MAudino can't set up all over you. If you really wanna keep CB i'd still say run Heavy Slam > Bullet Punch for the same reason. yeah ik priority is priority but it doesnt hit much anyways without sneasel here.

a cooler and more agreeable change that I think you should try is running HP Grass > Jet on Defensive Costa. Jet is fucking piss weak (i think it does like 40% to pyroar rofl) and hp grass lets you beat SS costa and SD Kabu (w/o relying on xatu) without having to rely on a scald burn / realizing they have lum and you're fucked. it also does like 52-62% to quagsire and you only need like 24 EVs to outspeed it if you wanna go down that route.

sprites are too much work. cool team and (dog)!

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HJAD I see the reasoning for CM Xatu but from playing I've found that I'm actually really as weak to Mega Audino as I might look. A pretty VoltTurn-based team goes a pretty long way in preventing its setup, as well as the fact that Hariyama actually beats it as long as it's healthy. It's more than likely usable like I said in the RMT, but I've never felt like I needed it. I'd be more likely to use Gunk Shot on Liepard somewhere to deal with it better, since I was actually doing that for a lot of my suspect laddering, but I never found much use in that either since people never Mega Evolved their Audino until super late game.

Trick on Liepard is pretty neat though, and I definitely considered it since I rarely used Sucker Punch anyway, so I'll look into that. As for Scald on Lanturn, it's certainly an option but there's been way more situations where I needed the power than the accuracy, like for example there was one match I pretty much sealed because I OHKOed my opponent's Mawile with Hydro Pump, which Scald wouldn't have done.

Can-Eh-Dian I have been thinking about it lately and Guts AV Hariyama does seem a lot better than it did before. Mainly I've been thinking about some kind of Power-Up Punch set so I can still batter defensive cores and be bulky, so I'll likely give it a try at some point.

HP Grass also sounds funny and definitely looks like it helps with the Rock weakness, so I'll give that a go too. The only thing is a slightly bigger opening to Rhydon, so it might come down to how important that is since I still have ways around it.

Thanks for the rates :]

man i don't even like current nu but i'll need to play for slam so u give me teams yn ;]

cool team, there's obviously stuff u can do like cm xatu or a more standard-er liepard but you've covered stuff well enough

(no man but i seriously need teams D:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)